Notices

Class of January 2020 PART6

Old 04-04-2020, 03:37 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Morning all.

A little daybreak nature outing with the kid, and the rest of the day will probably just be some light work.

When a friend looses a family member, it sets a series of thoughts in motion. The thought of the feeling of loss the person and his family and friends must be experiencing, the thought of past losses of my own, then the anticipation of losses that are sure to come in the not so distant future. The world can be a hard place sometimes, at least it helps to have others to share the experiences, good and bad.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:06 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good morning
But it’s goodnight from me.
9pm Saturday night. Been busy painting and gardening today so I’m ready for bed.
Happy Saturday everyone
Old 04-04-2020, 05:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night class.

Thank you for your condolences, folks. Hubby and family are carrying on, celebrating memories, accepting the things we cannot change.

Another gray day forecast here. We'd be isolating indoors most of the day anyway, of course, but on the drier, warmer days we can hang out in the yard with the dogs for a while, and use the barbecue.

Maybe today's the day to figure out something about fashioning a face mask. About half, maybe more, of people out around here at the grocery store yesterday were wearing some form of mask. I'll dig out my bandannas* at least, if I don't fashion something more elaborate.

Oh, here they are, in fashion colors and practical styles.

If I get lost hiking in the White Mountains in New Hampshire (part of the Appalachian range that stretches from Maine in the north to Georgia in the south), I just need to consult my Appalachian Mountain Club bandanna-map.

Say, anyone here ever hike the Appalachian Trail? It is a bucket-list kind of thing to do for outdoorsy types -- the trail covers the entire length of the Appalachian range, about 2200 miles (3540.5568 km). Some people do it in a single hiking season (takes about 6 months); others tally up sections over decades.

... And yours truly sports the bandanna and daydreams. Actually I've probably hiked 50 miles of the trail in various bits and pieces over the years, but at this rate it is quite safe to say I will not be earning an AMC pin for completing the entire thing.

Still a possibility for jr: the Camino de Santiago across the north coast of Spain, which has been a pilgrimage route for centuries.

But first: today's pre-bandanna banana.

That is to say, it's time for breakfast.

* Semi-amusing pastime if you are a word nerd like me: Tally the number of times you see "bandanna" spelled incorrectly, with two "n"s instead of three. (But I am easily amused. I make a game out of finding the typo in every restaurant menu, for example (or I did when there used to be restaurants)).
Old 04-04-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I've probably done somewhere in the range of 50 to 100 miles of the A trail, maybe a little more. Mostly in North Carolina. When I was in eighth grade, I went to summer camp with a friend and our group spent a week hiking and camping on the A trail. Back then, they cut each of us a piece of visqueen to make a tent, gave each of us a large can from the kitchen with which to cook, gave us packs of dehydrated meals, and we got water from the creeks. Cool stuff. Now I think that you are limited to the designated camping areas, and you aren't supposed to drink the creek water anymore.

I used to love camping. Too accustomed to a bed, hot shower, and a plug in coffee pot.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I’ve been looking up how to make face masks. I’m not sure what’s the best material to use... I’m thinking I might spend the next few days making some for my family
Old 04-04-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello classmates!

Been super busy with kids being at home and having schoolwork. I’ve also now become our neighborhood mask sewing person, lol. I volunteered, and I’m happy to do it. I sewed about 18 today.

Cityboy, a web site I was on said that pillowcase or dish towel material is the best. The whole thing is it’s supposed to protect other people from you in case you have it and are asymptomatic.

We found out this morning that my husband’s cousin has COVID-19 and is in the hospital. She’s expected to make a full recovery. My brother-in-law is an EMT, and his wife is a nurse who volunteered to be in the COVID unit. I’m bracing myself for the next 3-4 weeks (at least).

As far as drinking... I’m not and am not craving. I’ve turned to food, as I mentioned before. Still battling that demon, but going easy on myself during this surreal time in our lives.

I hope you’re all doing well! I’ll check back in later in the week.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

You are really doing s well Daisy love.
You are a champion in all of this. And for you.....which is so so wonderful. s ❤️
Old 04-04-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay safe and well everyone
D
Old 04-05-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Up early here. An early morning nature hike with the kid, then taking it easy around the house. A chance of rain this afternoon.

One of the strange things in life, the safer at home order that went into effect Friday for the whole state, encourages outdoor activities including fishing/boating, but they have closed many of the boat ramps. Go figure. There is a trip planned two weeks from now. The marina said that they are still going to be open, just not sure as to where we are going to launch and trailer the boats.

Had a dream last night that I remember well (unusual). Went to Colorado. Have no idea if daisybelle7 talking about Colorado had anything to do with it. I have a friend who's dad lives near Durango, and was there with friend and his dad in my dream.

Have a good day all.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good evening, afternoon and morning classmates.

I am yet to wear a face mask but will do this week. It is great that you are making some for family and neighbours, Daisy. I hope you have chosen some interesting fabrics, like JR's excellent selection. The black ones that I see people wear look good but a bit severe and Darth Vader like.

I didn't know that dish cloths work best, but that makes sense as far as absorbency. Ski googles are also becoming popular around here. Who knows how much effect all this has, but even a small improvement seems worth adopting.

I don't have pets but they all seem to love having owners full attention 24/7 these days. People have been queuing outside pet stores like crazy.

On a personal note, doing OK. Pushing through. Not a huge amount to report but doing OK compared to many in the world. Grateful to be able to read all your posts each morning. Glad we are still on this journey together.

Have a very healthy, happy and sober Sunday all

dlb

P.S JR, I would go for red paisley, gangland, bandit look.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

advice from the Surgeon General

Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Very refreshing reading all your posts.

I'll write more later.

Hugs...
Old 04-05-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

G'day, Sunday class.

Wassup for today? A few warmer days ahead here, seasonable, maybe I'll get to some yardwork later.

Right now I'm going to see whether I correctly understood the instructions I found yesterday on how to post a Youtube video so that the opening screen is displayed here rather than just the link.

Now I have to think of a cool video choice. ... Let's see....

... [an hour and a half later] ....

I've been poking around the 'net. Laughed a little, cried a little, and finally found one apropos for this Sunday morning, what with the churches closed and all.

(There's something about the healing power of song, even for a nonbeliever like me):

Last edited by jr67; 04-05-2020 at 05:54 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-05-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Jr...so sorry to hear about your fil. Please pass along my condolences to your husband and family. Hope you two are finding peace. I remember the 21 gun salute at my grandfather's funeral many years ago now. It was one of the most emotionally powerful moments I have ever encountered.

I had to laugh when I saw your recent picture as I just ordered some bandanas as face masks. I figured I'd go for the outlaw cowboy look. I was pretty boring though and just ordered 3 burgundy colored much like the one on the right.

CB...you are sure right about the death of someone close. I went on quite a journey of thought after my mil passed last year. That experience still has a hold on me to some degree. We are glad she did not have to deal with the worry of contracting this virus as her immune system was shot as extensive chemo treatments. Small blessings I suppose.

More and more people have been wearing face masks while out shopping. I will take my wife's word on that as I actually haven't been anywhere besides work and home in over two weeks (and of course plenty of doggie walkies in the neighborhood). This has been seventh heaven for our four legged friends.

We had just short of 15,000 confirmed cases as of yesterday, a majority in "hot spots" closer to the Detroit International airport which I assume was the main route into the area for the virus. Still don't know anyone that has become sick personally, but it has certainly spread to varying degrees as our local weekly paper town paper mentioned 2 local cases about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

I will have to catch up on posts later today as I got behind a bit yesterday. Hope everyone is having a good day. I happen to be as it Day 90. I had no doubt I was going to make it this time and still I cannot believe I have reached this milestone as I sit here this morning.

Take care.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Oh, forgot to mention a funny (in a perverse way) thought I had. As part of the effort not to spread the virus, the recycling centers at the stores are not taking cans/bottles at this time. (We pay 10c a unit when purchasing and get it back on returns here in MI).

Anyway, by the end of my drinking "career", I had mostly gone underground and always had the challenge of getting the empties out of the house and back to the store without anyone catching on to how much I was really drinking. I suppose I would have had a thousand or more cans/bottles built up by this point. What a nightmare that would have been.

Oh the tangled webs we weave.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
advice from the Surgeon General

Thanks Dee, so simple and easy

jr I like the brightly coloured bandanas
Old 04-05-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Wolfie, I’m very relieved I don’t have to try and hide all my empty bottles in the recycling anymore, that would be such a worry for me if I was still drinking and having to think about how to sneakily get rid of them all without anybody noticing how many there were!
Old 04-05-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

jr that’s really beautiful ❤️
Old 04-05-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Here y'all are!
I'll try to catch up later I was just popping in on SR real quick and was wondering why there were no new posts in our Class.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 90 MrW

D