Notices

Class of January 2020 PART6

Old 04-03-2020, 01:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning Butter
It’s nearly 6.30pm here.
Just had dinner and relaxing with a book and a ginger & lemon soda. We have a sodastream so I use cold water from the fridge to make soda water, and add buderim ginger and cottees lemon cordial. Yummy and refreshing
Old 04-03-2020, 02:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Good morning, everyone! It's almost 11.30 am here now. Where are you at, ButterMarsh?

Going to do some cleaning today, and maybe bake something, bread and rolls.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good morning all. It's about 545 am here and I am thinking maybe I will take another little cat nap before starting my day. We will see how that goes.

Good to see you Abraxus and I am very pleased that you stopped in for a little support. These a definitely stressful events. I am trying to focus on the positives and am enjoying the lack of the hustle and bustle. That suits my personality well. Good to see you checking in more and more Lixie as well.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I still find it a bit amazing how helpful being apart of SR and specifically the Jan class really is. I am not necessarily your sit around in chat rooms kind of person, but I can't imagine a better support system (at least for my personality). I am glad so many of you feel similarly.

Have a great day/night.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Lixie, I was thinking you were out west like California for some reason.

That sounds like a tasty drink willow. I do something that sounds similar. Fill a large cup about half way with cold water, add a splash of lemon juice from my wife's Myers lemon tree, and a can of flavored seltzer water. Very refreshing.

My wife's drinking friend came for dinner last night and I fried some turkey breast. Then had some work to do upstairs. Finished about 11:30 and went to bed late. Have a meeting this morning. Will likely take a nice nap after lunch.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates

I am going OK. Pushing through. Thanks for asking BM, my cold is much better.

I was chatting to a friend yesterday, how we thought people would change at the end of this pandemic. - People learning how to cook, was pretty high up there.

Folks with time on their hands and less groceries are being forced to figure it out, which is nice. I do cook, some things, but realise of lot of people may not have learn't. Our SR group seems to have quite a few food lovers so we are lucky. Lixie, you baking bread has inspired me. Maybe that will be my next challenge. I have never baked bread before.

Friday. This has been a tough week, in some ways, so I am very glad for the weekend.

Have a healthy, happy and sober evening/day all.

dlb
Old 04-03-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning dontlookback. I've always enjoyed cooking a few types of dishes. My wife got a bread machine when we first got married. You put in the ingredients and hit "Start". The problem was that the bread almost never rose.

I think that what people carry over from the crisis will depend on how long it lasts and how severe it remains.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good afternoon everyone, from a very overcast London. Looking at the forecast it looks like the weather is going to pick up over the next few days, so I am looking forward to that.

Off for my daily walk soon - becoming a real highlight of the day! Take care everyone :-)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Bacchus, freshly baked bread is simply divine! With butter and brown cheese... Yam! Go for it!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I tried to buy a bread machine yesterday.....no way. None available unless you are prepared to pay three times the price.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

^^ Good to see people resolving to eat better, vc, with fresh bread (though Dante needs to add a canto in the Inferno for price-gougers).

I posted a few days ago that my father-in-law was in hospice. Well, he shuffled off this mortal coil on Wednesday, two days after his 95th birthday, with his wife of 69 years and one of his daughters at his bedside (visitation restrictions were relaxed for this terminally ill patient; his condition was not Covid-19-related).

Hubby and I had thought we'd be driving almost 1000 miles for a burial to be attended by only the immediate family, but the family decided that we and f.i.l.'s other two out-of-state children should continue to isolate, and not make the trip. So his wife and daughter and a handful of local friends (fewer than 10, total, per isolation guidelines) will do a socially-distanced burial, and f.i.l. will get his proper 21-gun-salute memorial some months down the road. He was a proud WWII veteran, severely wounded at the Battle of the Bulge at age 19*, awarded the Purple Heart and other medals by the U.S., and the Legion d'Honneur by France.

So, with the rest of humanity, we will mourn in place as we shelter in place for now.

OK, class: Let us all continue to carry on during these difficult weeks and months, one day at a time.

* (Puts in perspective the whining of students whose spring break was cut short this year, doesn't it.)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Rest in peace dear man. s xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ❤️❤️❤️
Old 04-03-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Guess who is the proud new owner of the Curtis Stone Bread Machine????

OH YEAH!!!

Happiness. And extra because I adore Curtis Stone....and for any of you ladies or gents who haven't seen our incredible Aussie chef, I urge you to watch a video. He is very very very talented and somewhat easy on the eyes.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sorry about your FIL. Sounds like he lived a long life and passed in presence of those he loved. Probably much wiser to remain in place right now, and make the trip to pay respects at a later date when everyone is not petrified at the thought of traveling.

What I would give to have heard his account of the battle of the bulge, and that entire experience.

Is your hubby doing OK with it?
Old 04-03-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Good morning, everyone! It's almost 11.30 am here now. Where are you at, ButterMarsh?.
Croatia. Or like it's called here, Hrvatska.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I promised to check in throughout the day but failed. Gosh, I have full days with the kids. It's tiring and I don't get much time for just me but it's a blessing too. I know I'll miss this time when they're older and don't need me as much.

Anyway, it's 11:15pm here and I'm in bed, so it's goodnight from me. Good morning to the Aussies. Lots of love to you all.

jr, I'm so very sorry for your loss. May your FIL rest in peace. I wish you and your family all the strength and peace.

Hugs...
Old 04-03-2020, 02:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Croatia....where the biggest honey on the planet comes from.....

Goran Višnjić

Sigh......
Old 04-03-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry for your loss jr.

D
Old 04-03-2020, 10:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

jr I’m so sorry to hear about your FIL ❤️
I hope you and your hubby are doing ok
Old 04-04-2020, 01:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It's a bit quiet here, isn't it? I'm accustomed to finding lots of posts...

I had a drinking dream last night. A real one this time, lol. In it I drank lots of wine at a party and woke up slightly hungover and completely remorseless, lol. Thank God it was just a silly dream.

So, it's a good morning for me. I'm getting ready to go on my morning walk with the kids.

Take care all and have a lovely Saturday.

Big hugs...
Old 04-04-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good morning, day and evening all

I am very sorry to hear about your loss, JR. He sounds like a hero. I am sure your family were very proud. I am sorry his funeral had to happen during this period. The best to all.

I have had brown cheese before, Lixie, I think it was Norwegian. Delicious but rich. I will definitely try bread making. Traditionally first, just so I get the steps down. The whole yeast thing will be fun. Your bread machine looks super nice, Venus,. Maybe once I get the hang of the basics.

These weeks haven't been easy. Just non drinking related stuff. Everybody has challenges going on, I guess, and we just get through it. This forum, my sobriety, good habits and this journey are the important tools to push through. Sorry if that was vague.

After a few cups of coffee, my day is just off and going now

Have a healthy, happy and sober self-quarantined day all

dlb