Notices

Mikoss' Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 09:06 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
You look in the mirror too much Mikoss.
Yes, I do tend to look in the mirror a lot. Usually I am yelling at myself in the mirror but I tend to do that often.

I do really enjoy my AA meetings. I meet a lot of people at my AA meeting and make a lot of contacts and we call each other on the phone and text each other for support.

And I also meet a lot of musicians in my AA meetings. Other guitar players, bass players, keyboard players, and drummers. And we can invite each other to our houses to just play music and jam and show each other's instrument collection or music collection or talk music and tell stories or just play music together.

It is nice to meet sober musicians and also get moral support from them. Some of them play for fun and some of them play or played in pretty legendary bands so there is a wide range of musicians and talent and I love it. But we all just want to stay sober or get sober like me and play music and discuss sobriety and recovery and it is nice to just be able to have that group of people to play music together with. Because my regular band mates we would drink a lot and do a lot of drugs together apart from making music so it is nice to meet sober musicians to play together with.

Like someone said in my AA meeting tonight and in other previous AA meetings, we should call at least 3 people from our AA meetings daily. It helps just to talk and get support daily from our AA group.

Plus I love how after a meeting I get to talk to at least 4 or 5 people from my AA meetings on the phone and probably at least 8 or 9 people from AA via text messaging in addition to seeing them online every day at meetings and sometimes at 2 or 3 meetings a day.

It is a wonderful support group.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:23 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Thank you August for giving some detail. I've basically only seen AA as its shown in a movie or something. It looks in those a lot like what Mikoss has described. People seeking recovery. Some doing well, others not. Friendships, comrodery and sharing their using stories, their progress and life complexities as they make changes. I guess it could be whatever someone makes it.

I went to an inpatient treatment center, and I had individual therapy and some group therapy also. Didnt care for the group stuff too much. So it makes me think of that I guess.

But I do think it takes willingness to change in order to spend so much time attending meetings, becoming involved with people in these meetings. Calling, texting. Listening to the writings from the AA guide. That's a lot of time and effort regardless of how effective it is.

maybe I will look for an online meeting just to see what it's like. Or maybe a cocaine anonymous as someone mentioned to me when I first came here.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:29 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikoss View Post
Yes, I do tend to look in the mirror a lot. Usually I am yelling at myself in the mirror but I tend to do that often.

I do really enjoy my AA meetings. I meet a lot of people at my AA meeting and make a lot of contacts and we call each other on the phone and text each other for support.

And I also meet a lot of musicians in my AA meetings. Other guitar players, bass players, keyboard players, and drummers. And we can invite each other to our houses to just play music and jam and show each other's instrument collection or music collection or talk music and tell stories or just play music together.

It is nice to meet sober musicians and also get moral support from them. Some of them play for fun and some of them play or played in pretty legendary bands so there is a wide range of musicians and talent and I love it. But we all just want to stay sober or get sober like me and play music and discuss sobriety and recovery and it is nice to just be able to have that group of people to play music together with. Because my regular band mates we would drink a lot and do a lot of drugs together apart from making music so it is nice to meet sober musicians to play together with.

Like someone said in my AA meeting tonight and in other previous AA meetings, we should call at least 3 people from our AA meetings daily. It helps just to talk and get support daily from our AA group.

Plus I love how after a meeting I get to talk to at least 4 or 5 people from my AA meetings on the phone and probably at least 8 or 9 people from AA via text messaging in addition to seeing them online every day at meetings and sometimes at 2 or 3 meetings a day.

It is a wonderful support group.
It's good to hear your enjoying it, meeting people who play music. Your quoting a lot of things you hear so even if you've been drinking it appears your paying attention. Keep sharing, all very interesting.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

not many celluloid illustrations of AA are accurate or complete.

You often get the old men in a church basement stereotype, or see a round table of people nodding heads and one kinda sharing, or people being put on the spot to share. Someone getting a chip maybe. It is tough to relay the depth of the program in any show. I'd suggest episodes of the West Wing that feature Leo McGarry's character when he shows what it is like living in recovery, or the movie Flight which illustrates both the lack of control us alcoholics/addicts have and the web of denial, lies, self- and other-abuse and also bad fates that can come of our disease. You'll hear that our disease, untreated, will take us to the gates of "insanity, institutions or death" and that is the tragic truth for more people than is a sober life.

When A Man Loves a Woman, the movie with Andy Garcia and Meg Ryan, illustrates very well the complexity of a family with an alcoholic mother and non-alcoholic father.

As I'm writing this, I am also thinking about how these type of things, or comments from folks on SR or IRL or in a meeting can add up to an eventual quit for some of us. We're the lucky ones and can look back on those who were indeed right about a lot of stuff.

But we have to be willing to face this truth and then act on what it means.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Also - sharing stories is suggested to be best when it is ESH - Experience Strength and Hope. What it was like, what happened, and what life is like now. "Drunkalogues" or going on about the life you had as a drunk or drug addict is most helpful when limited - because the change is what each of us has to make, and the hope that we give each other is what can lead us to truly stay in recovery.

It's cool that you are open to more info. Whether anyone "does AA" or not, much like other schools of thought and treatment modalities and support, knowing what the program is about is useful for about everyone on the planet. Even if only to get "stop drinking because it's harming your life," "be nice to others," "be less selfish," "don't be as much of a jerk and apologize when you do," are what's taken from the steps (I'm boiling it down in lay terms here) then everyone on the planet wins because we are better people.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Yes, there are so many wonderful people I have met from my AA meetings. It is a support group like no other I have ever had in my life and the people are just awesome.

Just last night I was on the phone with someone from my AA meeting and we were talking music and guitars and scheduling a jam session. And he plays in a band that has been a huge influence on me for many years and whom I have been a huge fan of since I was a kid learning guitar. And we were discussing jamming and playing together and sobriety and recovery and he is willing to help me out with getting sober. It is incredible the support I receive through people I meet in AA.

I also talked to someone from my AA meetings today who offered me free golf lessons and to play golf with him and I thought that was so cool and I may take up golf in the near future if I can just get sober. But I though that was nice of him to offer that and teach me to play some golf.

And even just people I talked to today from my AA meetings just wanting to hang out and have coffee.

I think I talked to at least 20 people from my AA meetings today alone either on the phone or text messaging. The friends that I have made and the support that I have received through my AA group is absolutely incredible. Especially during these times of isolation where we need that sort of support and contact as much as possible.

I attended an AA meeting this morning and it was wonderful. This man shared his story and he said that through his recovery and sobriety he had something that stuck with him that someone told him and he would always repeat it to himself whenever he wanted a drink.

He said the best advice that person told him was,"I don't care how bad it gets. A drink will only make it worse."

And he said in these times that rings so true and he thinks about that every time he gets the urge to drink and it has stuck with him.

Anyways, I have another AA meeting to attend in a little less than an hour. It should be a great meeting.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Old 04-05-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Old 04-05-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Somebody mentioned to me that AA is like the club that everybody knows about but nobody want to join. And someone from my AA meeting said yeah AA will really mess with your drinking and that made me laugh a bit.

But tonight's meeting went well. We had a good turnout.

Tonight was a discussion. Sometimes we do a big book study, sometimes we have a speaker, sometimes we do meditation and sharing, and other times just a discussion. But I love all of it. I especially love the speakers when they tell their story for 30 to 40 minutes. That is really where you get to hear a person's story of how they became an alcoholic and how they got sober and their recovery process. I have heard some fascinating stories in these AA meetings.

But I really love our AA group. We joke around, laugh, smile, cuss, smoke, and it is great and a great group of people.

Someone mentioned in our AA meeting who is from out of state of how she likes our group because she attends her local meetings and other meetings as well in other states and she prefers our meeting because we smile and laugh and joke around and cuss and just have a good time during our AA meeting. Whereas all of the meetings she said she attends they are all very serious and there is no smiling and no laughing and just a lot of gloom and doom and people are not usually in a good mood in the meetings she attends.

But I am truly blessed to have our AA group and the people in our meetings.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:34 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
the movie Flight which illustrates both the lack of control us alcoholics/addicts have and the web of denial, lies, self- and other-abuse and also bad fates that can come of our disease. You'll hear that our disease, untreated, will take us to the gates of "insanity, institutions or death" and that is the tragic truth.

these type of things, or comments from folks on SR or IRL or in a meeting can add up to an eventual quit for some of us. We're the lucky ones and can look back on those who were indeed right about a lot of stuff.

But we have to be willing to face this truth and then act on what it means.
I saw the movie Flight,
I lived my own nightmare 6+ years ago. The only time cocaine use led me to drinking, other drugs and a bad binge that almost left me dead. And then I had to face all the damage I did while using which was a long suffering ordeal. But I managed to repair my life, learned a lot about myself, life, and those around me. I stopped. Couldn have done it at the time without help. The use of cocaine this time, the only time since then, was minor overall, and didnt include other substances. No outward damage and now I'm healing and learning more. But still, stopping this time wasn't easy. Not so much physically with cocaine but emotionally and because I began to recall that past episode. All that to say, I know the web of lies, the darkness, loss of self, betraying my own values.

Lots of interesting topics on this site. Shares, opinions, examples. And your right, some things click and get me thinking. It's all a process. thought usually comes before action unless one is forced. I feel like my own answers need to come from within and sometimes they take their sweet time. I wish I'd ended this lapse sooner, but it looks like perhaps I'm there now.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Some of the BEST laughs I have are in AA meetings.

And Lines, I too have learned a lot from folks around here. Sometimes we tussle but we all ultimately need the same thing- connection with others. Help. And an open enough mind to keep remembering we can learn something from everyone on the planet!!
Old 04-07-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Are the names of the meeting groups supposed to be representative of the actual group.attitude/mood? Some of them are rather interesting/??
Old 04-10-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I am not sure how the names of the groups come about but I imagine they represent the nature of the group or the mood of the group.

The AA group that I am a part of in most of my AA meetings as well as the other local AA groups that I participate in with my other AA meetings all have just regular names to them but there are some unusual names to some groups I have seen online.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Tonight's AA meeting that I attended with my regular AA group was very sad.

We have some people in our group going through a lot right now and close to relapse with their sobriety in jeopardy and people crying and in tears at my meeting tonight including myself. But we help each other out with support for one another in these troubling times.

We had the unfortunate incident of someone from our meeting pass away from alcohol overdose recently. It was very sad. She died from alcohol overdose and as sad as it is, it is a wake up call that this disease called alcoholism can kill you.

And this is why we stress in our meetings that if we see someone that has not attended our meetings in a while to reach out and call them and touch base with them and see how they are doing. Or if we see someone who looks as if their sobriety is in jeopardy or they look sad or emotionally broken down or just not doing well to reach out to them and give them support.

For instance I have had multiple relapses after relapses while attending my AA meetings and the support and calls and texts that I receive daily from the people in my AA group is absolutely wonderful. The people in my AA meetings genuinely care about me getting sober as they do about anyone in our group and this support is unlike anything I have ever received from anyone. I am not saying you guys are not great too, but in my AA group the support has been great.

And so far I have been sober a few days and clean of drug use for a few days as well. And I credit that to not just me or people here but also a lot to the people in my AA group and my sponsor. Without them I would probably be getting drunk and high on cocaine right now and pills and god knows what else. But I am thankful I am finally able to be sober and clean a few days so far but the fear of relapse is still there and I just have to take it one day at a time.

Last edited by mikoss; 04-10-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I used to go to "Cliffhangers". A meeting/building perched ontop a cliff at Bondi Beach. We were a bunch of cliffhangers I suppose.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:07 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you have a few days Mikoss.
Build on that

D
Old 04-11-2020, 09:56 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info on the meetings. The ones I looked at for cocaine anonymous had names more relatable to crack cocaine. Maybe I will pick an AA meeting and listen in one day.. was curious I think because Mikoss - you enjoy them so much. I think it's great you've made friends and I give you credit for attending so many. Congrats on your days adding up.

had a long day, and didnt sleep,last night. Not sure if you celebrate but Hapoy Easter. May you get lots of the candy you like and some Dr.Pepper. Have you tried the Dr Pepper and Creme Soda blend? Not bad.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Mikoss, flat out you are taking advantage of the membership. People are wasting time helping someone who doesn't want to quit- that's straight from the Big Book.

As far as names. The basic list includes
OD- open discussion
Step - step meetings
W- Womens only
M- mens only
and so on.

They get their "names" (different than categories) - some are acronyms or the name of the place they are held, like here, Triangle Club (actually named for the 3 legged stool AA is based on - unity, community, service) or Galanog or NABA. Other's for the church where they meet. Other in a location and a name is picked bc it is available.

The AA directory online lists all legitimate meetings (ie dues paying, follow the guidelines etc).
Old 04-12-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
Thanks for the info on the meetings. The ones I looked at for cocaine anonymous had names more relatable to crack cocaine. Maybe I will pick an AA meeting and listen in one day.. was curious I think because Mikoss - you enjoy them so much. I think it's great you've made friends and I give you credit for attending so many. Congrats on your days adding up.

had a long day, and didnt sleep,last night. Not sure if you celebrate but Hapoy Easter. May you get lots of the candy you like and some Dr.Pepper. Have you tried the Dr Pepper and Creme Soda blend? Not bad.
I have never checked out cocaine anonymous meetings but I am sure there are plenty out there. As far as crack or free basing cocaine I am sure there are a lot of people that smoke crack in addition to snorting cocaine so maybe that is why there are names of cocaine anonymous meetings related to crack cocaine. Personally I have only free based cocaine on a few occasions. Usually it is when snorting cocaine got boring and I found smoking it to get a more intense high but a shorter lasting high.

With crack it is a super intense and incredibly powerful high which is stronger than snorting powdered cocaine but it only last 5 to 10 minutes versus snorting cocaine which lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on the quality of the cocaine and dosage. This is why people get addicted to crack so easily and keep hitting the crack pipe every 10 minutes. The high is so good to them and they keep needing that high over and over again. And also the chasing the dragon mentality that every alcoholic and drug user experiences of chasing that first time we got intoxicated or got high and never being able to quite reach that high of the first time we did cocaine or heroin or whatever the drug is. Hence the name, chasing the dragon.

I personally know a crack user that goes through many grams and grams of cocaine daily from cooking cocaine into crack at home with his wife and smoking cocaine/crack/free basing with his wife. And this friend of mine and his wife are very successful and professional business people with their own businesses that you would never in a million years think they were alcoholics and crack users. But that is the thing about crack and other drugs and alcoholism. It does not discriminate and affects people from all races and nationalities and income levels and socioeconomic statuses. Anybody is susceptible to drug addiction and alcoholism. This disease affects everyone. Young, old, poor, rich, it doesn't matter.

In my case or at least in my AA group as well as other local AA groups of which meetings I attend as well, quite a few people have experience with cocaine among other drugs. I would say that in my AA group a majority of the drug use associated with alcohol abuse was cocaine. A majority of the people in my AA group have a lot of experience with cocaine and can tell you some cocaine stories along with alcohol abuse. Some of them sad, some of them funny, and some of them just like any cocaine user can relate to. Whether is is snorting powdered cocaine, free basing/crack cocaine/smoking cocaine, injecting cocaine with a syringe, hot railing cocaine, or eating cocaine or putting it in a drink, we have done it all within our AA group. I never used needles though or injected any drug with a syringe. And I would say heroin is also another drug abused as well as prescription pills. Mixing heroin with cocaine or snorting powdered heroin by itself or cooking the heroin with water into monkey water to snort like cocaine. We have done it all within our group among other drugs in addiction to abusing alcohol.

If you are interested in attending an AA meeting let me know. We welcome anybody to join our AA meetings. And we have an awesome group of people in my regular AA group as well as my other local AA groups. As a matter of fact a member of my regular AA group invited me to a meeting I have never been to before and I will be attending that meeting this evening in about an hour along with my regular AA group right after that meeting. So two back-to-back meetings this evening I will attend.

Happy Easter Sunday to you as well. May you have a happy Easter with wife, family, friends or whoever and have a blessed and joyous day.

I have not tried the Dr. Pepper and cream soda blend. I do like cream soda though. I buy the bottled Dr. Peppers from a local store. It's $5 for a pack of 4 bottled Dr. Peppers. And I like the half liter Mexican Coca Colas in the glass bottle too.

As far as candy I like my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Reese's Pieces. And Mr. Goodbar, Nestle Crunch, Kit Kat, Milky Way, Snickers, 100 Grand, M&Ms regular and with peanuts, and of course the Sour Patch Kids and the watermelon flavor Sour Patch Kids are my favorite. And Lemonheads and Cherry Sours. I figure eating candy is better than doing cocaine or heroin or drinking.

My girlfriend likes the York Peppermint Patties but she steals my candies too and eats them.

Last edited by mikoss; 04-12-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-12-2020, 03:28 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I do find the AA meeting to be very helpful too Lines.

For me I love the fellowship of the group of people in my AA meetings. I love how in my regular AA group we develop a friendship and we can call each other anytime and text each other or have a conference on Zoom apart from the meeting.

For instance just on my cell phone I have already about 80 contacts on my phone from people in my AA groups and other local AA groups. We call and text each other daily. Just today alone I talked to at least 7 people on the phone that called me. And I communicated with at least 15 people today via text messaging. All of them from my AA group. The support and friendship we have developed is incredible. Not to mention the people in my AA group are a wonderful group pf people that genuinely want me to get sober and stay sober as well as everybody else in our AA group. People that genuinely care about each other. If someone in our group can't get groceries or needs cat food or dog food people from our group go and get it and deliver it to them. We are a very tight knit group.

For me AA and the people I have met in AA is unlike any other group of friends or people I have ever had. People that really care about me and my well being and we look out after each other. It is an absolutely wonderful feeling to know that I have the friends that I have met in my AA meetings as support for me. And I will give support back as well when people in my group are having a bad day or emotionally down or just not in a good place.

I am attending about 20 AA meetings a week and I love it and even the people in my meetings keep telling me to keep coming back and I do. I love every meeting and it is a blessing to be able to still have our online AA meetings through Zoom.

If you ever want to attend any of our AA meetings let me know Lines and you can join in and listen. They really are great meetings.