Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 10

Old 03-17-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey PS

Thanks for asking I am at risk but I have a cold at the moment and have been staying home mostly anyway.

I'm pretty resourceful so, driving around a little, I've been able to get all the food I need.

I hope my meds will be available too but I'm not running out of them just yet,

I hope you and all the other Januarians are doing well

D
Old 03-18-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi PS! Sounds like you are having some time to slow down and tackle projects on the home front. I’m kind of hoping I’ll get to do some of that but between likely needing to go into the office for half days, needing to become an educator to my kids, and the fact that work is insanity right now, not sure how much of that will be in store for me. Hopefully some! A little goes a long way when it comes to projects that just dangle there over our heads, doesn’t it? I definitely look forward to a job that at least slows down a little sometimes, whatever that looks like.

It’s nice being here with my family though. I also dread what it will be like when we head home as we won’t have the grandparents to play with the kids. That’s what has enabled me to even stand a small chance of kind of keeping up at work. It’s been very draining because people don’t want to go to the office. But someone has to in order to support certain activities. there has been a whole lot of complaints and critiques but not any solutions offered. Which also wears on people after a while. Sigh.

Well, thinking of you guys!
Old 03-18-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all! Dee, I'm glad that you've been able to locate what you need, at least for the time being. Hopefully you're connected with some type of emergency support services just in case things change.

NL, I'm really glad that you are spending time with your family, even though the stress of work crises is a constant strain. I definitely don't envy the challenge of getting people to the office for "mission critical" functions while respecting peoples' need for safety. For what it's worth, I think you're an incredible public servant and if I lived in your state/locality, I would say that to anyone who would listen!

I really want to go over and see my parents, because they are probably going absolutely crazy by themselves (they are used to going to classes at the fitness center, daily grocery shopping, movies, etc.) Left to her own devices, my mom would love to watch TV, which drives my dad nuts. He is a very dutiful person, but also very impatient, if that makes sense. My mom has always been the one to acquiesce to him, and now that she is so needy it is definitely throwing their relationship dynamic way off. Although they are the same age, my in-laws are coping better since they don't have any health issues (and their house is large so they can avoid each other, ha!) I'm still really grateful that these are the only issues we have to worry about, and no one is actually ill. Yet.

As for me, I'm going through the usual mental nonsense about all the things I "should" be doing, like homeschooling my kids, doubling down on my work, eating right, getting lots of exercise, etc. I'm trying to recall how I felt when we had the house fire, which was initially stressful but ultimately, was a huge blessing in disguise because I was able to really refocus myself on the things that actually matter. It took me several weeks to get to that point, but eventually it did happen.

In the meantime, I'm just trying to do a little better today than I did yesterday, in all ways. I hope NC checks in soon and that everyone stays safe and healthy!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi all! How is everyone doing? NewChapter, I'm thinking about you and hoping that you and your family are maintaining your health and sanity. I haven't heard too many specifics about the spread of the virus in the UK, so hopefully you can check in with a status update soon.

I got a call yesterday that my interview, which was scheduled for next week, is now going to be a conference call (not even a videoconference). I'm surprised they didn't cancel, because these folks are managing a multibillion dollar budget amid a pandemic, but I guess I'll see how it all plays out.

As a family, we are starting to get on each others' nerves a bit, but not as much as we could be, considering all this togetherness - YET. I'm definitely struggling with all of the pressure to homeschool my kids because I'm not the best when it comes to consistent structure, and I would definitely make the world's worst teacher.

That's all for now. I hope everyone is hanging in there!
Old 03-20-2020, 05:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi all! Coming up on the end of week 2 for mandatory telework. We're scheduled to continue at home for another week, and then our leadership will re-evaluate what to do moving forward. Things seem to be getting worse instead of better in terms of the progression of the disease, so it would not surprise me if things continued as they are. Our larger organization (the one I am hoping to return to) is getting a lot of flak for not responding quickly enough to offering telework. My former boss is managing really complex operational requirements, so I'm very grateful that I am in my current role while this is happening. However, I do need to refocus myself because I'm so used to a constant sense of huge pressure and urgency that I have temporarily moved too far in the other direction. Today, I will focus on being highly responsive and positive (I'll let you know how that goes).

I really hope NewChapter checks in soon, as it is unlike her to be away this long. Hi to NL, Dee, Scotty, and anyone else who may be around!
Old 03-20-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

I am so sorry for my absence the past while, things have been crazy here with the COVID-19 challenges. It has impacted our industry and business massively and we are up to our eyes trying to manage the fallout, as is everyone else here by the sounds of things.

Just checking in to say that I'm thinking of you all and hope that you and your loved ones are keeping healthy and well during these difficult times. I'll try to stop by for a proper catch up in the next few days. Sending love
Old 03-20-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Everyone

All good here - stay safe and well gang

D
Old 03-21-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

NewChapter, I'm so happy you checked in - no need to feel pressure to post, I can't even imagine how busy you must be!!! I hope that your family is safe and healthy, take good care.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Dee, I'm really glad that you're safe and well - how is your cold?

We are all doing fine here. My parents have ignored the guidance to stay at home and have continued to go to PT for my mom and even the grocery store, as my dad puts it, "during non busy times." By that, I don't think they mean designated hours for the elderly, but when they think it's not that busy. Sigh. I can understand the frustration of being homebound, but my mom in particular is in a higher risk category so I wish my dad would respect that more. He is not someone who listens to this kind of advice, unfortunately.

I have a lot of work I need to catch on, especially in advance of a call I have with my boss on Monday. I keep telling myself that I need to focus on organizing all of the work I've done thus far into a format that will be easy to hand off, because even if I don't land the job I'm currently competing for, I feel fairly certain that I will continue to actively look for a role outside of my current team. However, we'll see what happens to the job market as this crisis evolves...

Hang in there, everyone!
Old 03-21-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So happy to have made a little time to post and catch up on yours and others posts also @Palmer! I think we’re all in the whirlwind right now. Sorry to hear that your Dad isn’t being as cooperative / diligent as you’d like. My husband’s parents are similar and have taken it up a notch, criticising other people for their actions / non compliance with guidelines but then not adhering to advice themselves? Sigh.

I was so happy to get out for a trek in the mountains with my sweet boy this morning. That horse is keeping me sane right now!

Thinking of you all and sending love and positivity 💜
Old 03-22-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi gang. PS, good luck getting focused before the conference call. We also definitely caught some flak re telework but like so many of the decisions in this thing there are a lot of judgment calls and for us (and it sounds like may be similar for your old org) we’d get flak whether we were too quick to move to telework and people didn’t do certain critical things — or if we were too slow. By now i should be used to the damned if you do damned if you don’t of my job but it still sometimes takes a while for me to adjust. I’m glad they are still interviewing you. We are also going forward with some staff interviews (by phone/video conference) on the theory it’s not really going to get any easier to do the stuff any time soon. I hope your parents start listening to the guidelines. I’m not actually sure if my folks are really following them. My mom seems to be spending a fair amount of her time letting weird conspiracy theories fester in her mind. Sigh.

NC, glad you got out for some fresh air! Hang in there. Not sure what your industry is but I hope you are able to find a new normal and stabilize — or that something better emerges from the change.

Dee, glad you are hanging in there.

We are ok here but we’ve only been in our sole company for a couple days. The reality that no one is doing play dates is sinking in for my poor kids. My daughter had a fairly epic meltdown last night but thanks to therapy and the book I’m reading I was able to look at it not as her inconveniencing ME but her struggling emotionally. It was still difficult but I am proud that I didn’t lose it and was able to be more sympathetic. We’ll see how long that holds out! But hey, I’ll take a small victory wherever I can find it.

PS as of right now I’m not feeling too much pressure to home school. We’re setting the bar pretty low in our house. Right now I don’t think there are specific assignments for our kids so we’re just going to have a couple blocks of time during the day where they’re doing something educational and/or not watching a mindless screen. I say that not to convince you that my way is good but more to say I bet you’re doing a pretty amazing job as is. I also refuse to develop a curriculum or set all the ground rules for everyone in the house. My husband keeps asking me what the schedule is and I just keep saying we need to figure that out. With as insane as my job is I’m going for best efforts and little snippets of quality time with the kids. For whatever that is worth!

Have a great Sunday friends.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi all! NewChapter, I'm so happy you have your horse, that is so amazing and a huge mood-booster. As for your in-laws, they kind of sound like my side of the family, who feel strongly about following certain rules and shame people for not following them, but pick and choose from the rest. Ha - happy quarantine!

NL, I think you totally summed it up with "damned if you do, damned if you don't." And as far as homeschooling goes, I'm not sure if this will post, but I think it sums up my feelings on the subject: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9xtBEkHhD7/ One thing that has helped over the past couple of weeks is to have the kids keep a "productivity report" (LOL) where they keep track of their activity - exercise, screen time, schoolwork. It worked for a couple of days and I will probably find that it has run its course by tomorrow...

Yesterday, I had a very down day mood-wise, and it was reminding me of the restlessness that used to lead me to drinking. I need to make some different choices today to reroute my thinking. Gotta run, but I'll check in later!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

NL: Thanks for the kind words. I hope that you are surviving this OK as I know how pressurised your workload is at the best of times, let alone with such added stress and operational challenges. I'm sorry that your kids are finding it tough right now, I think the reality of the situation is starting to set in for families / kids all over at this point, and I know any of my friends with kids are finding it especially difficult to juggle work, entertaining / educating their kids and also navigating the social pressure cooker of being all bound up under one roof without much reprieve. I'm so happy that therapy and the book your reading is helping you to reframe certain interactions though, certainly not easy particularly given current circumstances. A victory indeed.

PS: Your message commiserating over our wayward family members actually made me laugh, thank you for that. Hopefully they might come round sooner rather than later, though I guess there's only so much we can do to try and encourage it! Sorry to hear you had a bit of a down day yesterday - these times are so up and down for everyone i think we all need to just do our best and acknowledge those days when they come, as it is inevitable they will. Are you getting much of a chance to get out walking with your dogs at the moment? The fresh air with my horse is definitely a life line for me right now in keeping the down days at bay.

Dee and anyone else out there, I hope you're keeping healthy and well, also. Take care x
Old 03-23-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Haha Ps yes that pretty much sums it up. I normally don’t find FB too upsetting but I definitely have noticed I feel a lot of stress when I look at it now for the parents that are posting day by day accounts of the stuff their kids are doing.

NC yes the pressure cooker is real!

I was less successful with kids yesterday in terms of looking at their behavior as something besides an imposition on me. And I’m super frustrated with everyone at work. Count on no one I guess. I have 4 managers. Last week one was in town but never offered to go in office while his colleagues were covering. Another came in a couple of times but was such a PITA about it to the point it annoyed MY boss. One said she’d be in. And the other, my deputy, said she’d be in no matter what. Yesterday the only two who seemed willing to cover part of the day ask me if they need to come in and my deputy asks me if I can let her know in advance so she can get dressed and that she can do whatever is needed. But we had a plan! And now I am put in the position of having to ask her or other managers to come in because no one will just effing step up voluntarily. I am literally scanning the mail so support staff doesn’t have to come in, and now I’ll potentially be the only manager there at all too, and I’m the only one who has kids to take care of because of their ages. It reminds me of when my husband goes out and then texts me to ask me what time he has to be home. It makes me the bad guy. I have been super disappointed in people through this event so far. I couldn’t sleep last night out of frustration. I can’t count on freaking anyone.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi gang! Just checking in and saying hello. Feeling better about my work situation as it seems there is less and less pressure to be physically present in the office building so that is good. I’m still going in every day but even that may stop as we are under a shelter in place order and although we are essential functions I’m not sure that I as a person need to be physically there which I’m doing primarily so that someone from my division shows their face. We will see!

How’s everybody else holding up?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK NC...just chillin at home

D
Old 03-25-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

New Zealand went into lockdown last night, our entire country other than essential workers have to stay at home and our borders are closed.

We brought forward the school holidays which gives us educators breathing space to prepare remote learning, but it is going to be very interesting.

My partner is an essential worker so has to stay in his city, I don’t know when we will see each other again - the lockdown is for four weeks, but the word from people in govt is that it will be longer.

Liquor stores are deemed not essential, so the lines outside them were incredible before lockdown. Our supermarkets are open and sell wine and beer so people will still be able to get it in some form. It makes me realise just how I would have behaved two years ago. I would have bought cases of wine and probably hidden it around the place, I also suspect it would not have been long before the day started with a mimosa and stayed buzzed all day. I am so grateful for my sobriety and worried for those who may be going through enforced detox.

I read a quote about homeschooling the other day ‘it’s day two of homeschool - I am considering expelling two children and the head teacher has resigned’. Fortunately my son’s school is set up for digital learning and at 18 he can be quite independent, my challenge is getting him away from online and gaming all day.

I have everyone in our little group and on this site on my mind. Stay safe.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too scotty

D
Old 03-26-2020, 03:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Scotty! We are under shelter in place in my city but essential so allowed to come and go for work, though starting today I won’t have to as the boss has told us not to come to the office anymore unless we absolutely have to. She’s had a tough job of managing the fact that our front line staff have to go out to make sure people are safe so it wouldn’t really be supportive of them to sequester ourselves entirely while they are on the front lines. But this has evolved some over time so she’s now telling her exec team to skedaddle. That’s good mostly though not sure how much I’ll really be able to accomplish from here. We shall see.

Hope everyone is still staying healthy.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi all! Scotty, I'm really glad you checked in and that you are safe. Interesting about the alcohol, here in the US the stores are definitely open and there is so much noise about drinking to get through the pandemic. I've had moments where I've actually "missed" it, but for the most part I'm very aware of the dark spiral drinking would actually become.

NL, I hear you loud and clear on the front-line workforce. It's such a tough situation. One of the things I used to think about was the 24/7 availability that often goes with flexibility. The bad news about public-facing work is that it often requires a physical presence, and especially now, that is extremely difficult to expect from people. On the flip side, when it comes to evenings/weekends/snow days/power outages/sick days, etc. they are often able to disconnect completely while the beat goes on for the rest of us. Plus, there are those who only see the flexibility but don't think about all the undesirable elements of the job, or all of the sacrifice that's required to even get to a job like yours. Of course, many people are just constantly on in every way and they are the ones that are really impacted here - and some people just like to complain (me included) so there is that too.

I had my interview for the new job yesterday, I think it went pretty well and I should actually hear something soon. Hopefully it works out the way it's supposed to (I have to say that the timing to make a move could not possibly be any better).

Hope all are well - I'll be back soon!