SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of December 2019 part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/445862-class-december-2019-part-6-a.html)

Dee74 02-22-2020 04:02 PM

Class of December 2019 part 6

last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-5-a-20.html

D

Steely 02-22-2020 06:49 PM

I like Industrial too, Venus, but it's so expensive. I've got champaign taste, but with beer money, that's if I drank, which I don't, and in which case, I've got orchard taste, with daisy money, 'cause I'm a gardener. :)

I like lots of styles of furniture. I do like Swedish design, it's so clean, and the line is gorgeous. Think 1960's groove. But it costs a bloody motza too. I'm going to an antique shop with my daughter next week just to check stuff out. Antique shops are always expensive, but good to wander around and admire. Hope I don't finish up with a wooden pallet on a pile of bricks. :) Pre Industrial. :lmao

Good to hear you got through a tough day bob. Creating an avatar will be good fun, creative. You got me thinking when you said this was your plan, bobdrop's such a good name. Happy creating. :)

Man, do other people think Facebook sucks? :herewego. I stayed away from it for years, but joined just to find an old friend. I regret it, and finding it really difficult to give it the sack. Maybe I'm missing something idk.

Still sober, after all these days. :Witch5:

bobdrop 02-23-2020 03:48 AM

Good morning. Day 54. Had to put off the whole avatar thing. Will try again today.

Steely-Your facebook comment is very interesting to me. I have an account on facebook, but I'm not a daily user, in fact, I can't remember the last time I actually posted anything. Probably years. Facebook does serve a function for me though. It does provide a place for people to find me if they are looking for me, and I actually use it in genealogy a lot to search for people. (In Ancestry, if the person is living, you'll find nothing) Way back when I was a somewhat regular user, I got disgusted with the behavior of people there, and if I'm honest, my own behavior, so I took it out of my life. Sometimes I think that I have a part time wife though. She does facebook like it's her job. Hours and hours a day. Whenever she starts to take a picture, I and others run, because we know where that picture will end up. Oh well. I wait for the day when facebook fades in popularity. It will at some point. I remember an online service that almost everyone used to use, but not anymore. AOL.

I got started building the pergola on my deck yesterday. Much work to do.

Zura-How are you doing? Have you been busy? Anything big going on?

Venus-I have been thinking about a comment you made yesterday. You mentioned that you were guessing I felt really good after fighting off the previous day. Honestly, I was more scared than relieved or happy. I was scared that I would be facing another day just like the one I just went through. Wow, this is quite the journey. This is nothing like it was when I did 5 years sober 20 years ago. Back then I was scared by a diagnosis from the cardiologist and was just angry all the time that I couldn't drink. This time, I feel like I'm going in with my eyes wide open with a lot more knowledge.

I should shut up now. Guess I had a lot to say. :)

Hope everyone is doing well! Hi Dee!

venuscat 02-23-2020 04:46 AM

Never shut up. :) I love reading all of your posts and hearing what's going on with everyone.. :hug: s

I got sober many years ago as well Bob, about 27 years....and I honestly thought I understood myself and my addiction. But I did not. But then I hadn't' 'met' Dee yet. :) Or the rest of the awesome SRs.

Talking the way we do is wonderful on so many levels. Whatever questions I have in my mind when I get out of bed are answered here while I drink my coffee. :) :)

Steely love ~ you crack me up. But hey, the wooden pallet on a pile of bricks is a good idea....you could get a nice wood top from bunnings....distressed wood, and you could get free bricks from a building site....or a couple.....and if they are different colour bricks, even better.

Or.....you could make the whole desk. With a bit of help I think I could do that....maybe Bob can help....I can see it in my head but not sure how you attach the sides to the top. :)

Or....you could buy an old school desk or a groovy 60s desk from an op shop and paint it. I think that would be the most fun. And the cheapest. :) :hug: s

Zura 02-23-2020 01:52 PM

Morning All

Steely & Venus - I had to look up industrial furniture because I didnt know what it was lol, very cool. I have very solid large wooden furniture but it has more of a country style vibe going on. I LOVE those pieces with grainy wood probably because I am a nature lover, they are pricey as well though . When I was young I always wanted to learn carpentry and build my own furniture but motherhood became my whole world, and then my garden. Awesome suggestion Venus, I painted up second hand furniture for my daughters bedroom, id forgotten that!

Bob - Im pretty good. Nothing big going on at the moment. Always working away in the garden which is a big job. My veggies are growing well and in the process of filling up more beds, for more veggies. Very exciting about your pergola. I hear ya about what a journey this is.

venuscat 02-23-2020 02:06 PM

Oooo, maybe we can see more fruit and veggie pics love....I adore your orchard. :) :hug: s ❤️

Dee74 02-23-2020 02:19 PM

There are all kinds of how to do things tips here Bob :)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ndy-hints.html

Steely 02-23-2020 03:21 PM

Thanks for tips on FB bob, I'm going to do it your way, retain it for useful things. I'm getting inundated with posts from a group of conspiracy theorists, and can't seem to 'unfollow' them, which has turned me into a conspiracy theorist. :lmao

And how many pictures of a cute baby can I take? I don't think parents should post pictures of babies for public viewing. Too many sicko people out there, and poor little baby gets no choice.

I was sober for 5 years many years back. When I relapsed I thought I was the only person in the world who would do such a thing, but have since come to know otherwise.

My attitude to alcohol has completely changed this time around, but still I remain eternally vigilant to the pervasiveness of my ability to rationalise. Forget. Feelings and emotions still arise for me, but now I clamber for understanding and acceptance of myself. Long way to go. And that's ok with me.

Thank you Venus and Zura for encouragement around my desk. I so want a good one. It's got work at all levels. I want Form as well as Function. This desk is really important to me.

Crumbs, I'm raving again. Good gardening my fellow travellers. The grass is certainly greener on this side of the fence.

Sushiroll 02-23-2020 05:55 PM

Hi guys, just checking in on this rainy Monday. I love the sound of rain on a tin roof.
I hope everyone is well. I apologise for doing a runner. My life has taken a complete turn around, in a good way I should add.
I spend alot of my time at the gym and have just started water aerobics which is fun. I know crazy right, who is this person.
Although sometimes I feel like I'm just going through the motions it all made sense two weeks ago. My son drove through a flooded causeway in the middle of the night. Flash flood 5 minutes from our home. Anyway I was sober and was able to answer his call and go to him. I can't imagine not being able to help him. He's fine, the cars a write off.
This stays with me and helps me whenever I need reminding why I'm doing this.
I know we are all doing this for our own reasons but sometimes I forget drinking or not drinking affects others too. I am so grateful.
Knowing this site is always here is comforting.
Hugs to everyone.

Dee74 02-23-2020 06:16 PM

Really good to have you posting sushiroll :)

D

Steely 02-24-2020 01:03 AM

Hugs to you too Sushiroll. ❤️

Mum to the rescue. A good feeling.

bobdrop 02-24-2020 02:46 AM

Good morning. Day 55. Good to hear from you Sushi. Sounds like you have it all together :)

Thanks for link Dee.

Hope you had a good Monday Steely and Zura. Venus and mine are just getting started :)

Don't really have much to say this morning. Might be back later today.

Steely 02-24-2020 03:52 AM

Hi bob :)

I meant to say Zura, that I always wanted to be a carpenter. When I was in high school the boys did woodwork and the girls did needlework. :scared:

On leaving school women weren't offered apprenticeships in carpentry, another bummer. Gawd, does this mean I have to be an air hostess, secretary? Maybe I could become a model? :dee

Became a printer for a while which was a completely male dominated industry and didn't get much support from the blokes. Really sexist.

Carpentry would have been great. Alas.

venuscat 02-24-2020 06:19 AM

Thank God girls can choose carpentry in school now dear Steely.
I was also really annoyed at how sexist that all was.
Home Economics it was called.....seriously......learn to cook and sew was what it really was. Which I like. Very much. But I wanted to do carpentry as well. Would have loved to have been a trady. So glad girls are free to do that now. :)

And hello dear Sushiroll. :)

:grouphug:

Good morning dear Bob. :) :hug: ❤️

Zura 02-24-2020 01:32 PM

Morning All,

Venus - good morning lovely. I will get some photos and let you know when i put them up on my profile.

Sushi - Welcome back :grouphug: So glad you are doing so well.

Bob - good morning my friend, hope those thoughts have subsided and your having a good day. EDIT: I just posted and saw your cool new avatar!!

Steely & Venus - There is something about working with wood isnt there. Im planning on making some very simple garden beds out of fence pailings im being gifted that i will paint the same colour as my fence and use as as a border between my fruit trees for rock paths.

venuscat 02-24-2020 03:42 PM

Oh.....can't wait to see those Zura.....for me....major excitement....I have calculated that this is the last cold week (as in nights below freezing) and I can start to get my outdoor garden in order. Yay. :)

Steely 02-24-2020 04:55 PM

Dear everyone,
I've read everyone's positive posts and feel a bit sick in saying that all is not a bed of roses for me.

My daughter has schizophrenia and it can be be difficult to cope. Her father is virtually absent from her life. He was a talented nuclear physicist but tipped over to the other side. Diagnosed with schizophrenia, on the spectrum at anyrate. He does his best. Deposits money into her bank account each fortnight and talks on the phone to her occasionally. His heart's in the right place. I'm pretty much left with the coal face stuff and I'm tired.

She is not well at the moment. Very paranoid and made paranoid comments about me on fb. I was so hurt. I phoned her and became angry. Said I need a break, and I meant it. First time ever.

I phoned her back to say sorry for getting angry but still I need a break. I'm just not coping.

She has a case manager, a psychologist, and other practical support, but still I feel guilty. I can't help it though, I know I need a break. Otherwise I'll break.

So over it.

venuscat 02-24-2020 05:37 PM

Sweetheart....she has a full support system, and you deserve a break. And you need it. Gosh love....you do so so much for your family (of course) but I think self-care time is needed. :hug: s xxxxx ❤️

Steely 02-24-2020 06:58 PM

Thank you Venus I really needed to hear those words.

I'm taking a break otherwise I'll never get well.

Seems so little of me left I don't know where to start. Moving on best I can. So glad I'm not drinking.

Have an appointment tomorrow with quit smoking counsellor at the local hospital. I do know the strategies and stuff but might be good just to have someone to talk to about random shite.

I pretty much don't say how down I feel from day to day because try and stay positive. This is one of those days where I can't.

I was feeling pretty good and had planned to go to the antique shop with her, now it's ruined.

I don't want to labour the point or bleat. I just know I have to take a break for her sake as well as my own.

Prtotracted withdrawal from benzo's does not help.

Thanks Venus. ❤️

Dee74 02-24-2020 07:16 PM

you know what they say about the oxygen masks on planes Steely - put your oxygen mask on first.

You can't help anyone else without grabbing a little oxygen for yourself.

I know it's a mums instinct to want to fix things, and you wouldn't be the first addicted person to feel guilty about the past, but Suze is right - your daughter has her own support network.

Grab a little oxygen for yourself.

D