Notices

Class of March 2020 Part One

Old 02-29-2020, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of March 2020 Part One

Welcome everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this month of MARCH 2020

come and join us!

The latest FEBRUARY thread is now here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-pt-2-a-9.html (Class of February 2020 Support Thread Pt 2)
D
Old 02-29-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 02-29-2020, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, my first class was March 2018 and here am I two years later. First attempt went 7 weeks. Tried again in January of 19, made it three. I'll be six weeks this time next week and feel good. Very few panic attacks. AV is still strong between 5-7pm. I'm usually good once I eat a nice meal. Craving sugar which is really weird for me. I can finally eat bread without feeling tired which is nice. Saving $50 a day isn't bad either. I failed both times last time but I'm just doing one day at a time and have eliminated a major trigger (boredom) never bored bore, new job and dog take care of that. Anyway I'm Kevin, welcome March 2020 folk.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Somewhere I read that March is really the best time to start a resolution. I'm not sure if this is true but dive on in all and give it your best shot.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome rmeatgt350

thanks for your great thoughts BeKind

D
Old 02-29-2020, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

i am in for march x
Old 03-01-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Hi Erratic. I'm in too. I'm embarrassed to be in yet another class but I need the support so there is no place for shame or embarrassment I think

Day 4. I keep getting to day 10,20,30 even 60 and then drink. I have to stop this cycle. I know why I drink -I'm not miserable, unhappy, hiding something. I just like the feel of it. I get to a point where Ive had so many sober days and then the craving hits. Instead of fighting it or even TRYING to fight it I just tell myself I'm an adult, I want a drink,I'll have a drink. So I drink.

When I stop drinking I feel so great and want to be sober more than I want to drink. BUT in that key moment 2,3,4 weeks sober want to drink more than I want to be sober so I drink. It's a split second thing. I have had long periods of sobriety before and have had those moments where I am fighting and discussing with AV and have done urge surfing etc and working through them and NOT drank, gone on to have years of sobriety.

But now, over the last few months it feels different. There is no doubt, negotiation or even consideration. I just throw it all away and drink in that moment which then leads to weeks of every night.

What do I do differently this time? How do I tell myself in THAT moment that drinking is not a good idea. I mean I know it but the AV is so powerful.

I tend to go on holiday regularly and tell myself well you'll drink on holiday so why not now? So I have cancelled all my holidays booked for this year. I am not going anywhere but staying home and focusing on my sobriety. Obviously I need to do more but for now getting through each day.

Starting to feel a bit better today. Sorry for long post just need to write down my mindset. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome RAL and erratic

D
Old 03-01-2020, 12:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I'm in for March.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Reid

D
Old 03-01-2020, 03:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Hi Reid
Old 03-01-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, St.Patrick's day/weekends have been unfortunate relapses in the past so I'm very aware of that time around the 17th of this month now.

I'm happening to be going to Edinburgh for the weekend that weekend this month now over for a friend's birthday so will be on guard
Old 03-01-2020, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hitting three weeks tomorrow. I've found it really straight forward, my sober muscles are strong. My danger is when I get to three / four / five months etc, I start thinking I'm ok and start wanting to drink like a normal person.

Hopefully I have realised by now that going back to drinking is bad news, there's nothing for me there, so I will be able to resist going forward. I feel 100% sure I have learnt now. As my sponsor said to me last week, "you keep trying", as in I keep trying the drinking thing again despite deep down knowing it's a waste of time and nothing has changed.

I truly love being sober more than I want to drink.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Thanks Dee.

Hi Erratic. I'm in too. I'm embarrassed to be in yet another class but I need the support so there is no place for shame or embarrassment I think

Day 4. I keep getting to day 10,20,30 even 60 and then drink. I have to stop this cycle. I know why I drink -I'm not miserable, unhappy, hiding something. I just like the feel of it. I get to a point where Ive had so many sober days and then the craving hits. Instead of fighting it or even TRYING to fight it I just tell myself I'm an adult, I want a drink,I'll have a drink. So I drink.

When I stop drinking I feel so great and want to be sober more than I want to drink. BUT in that key moment 2,3,4 weeks sober want to drink more than I want to be sober so I drink. It's a split second thing. I have had long periods of sobriety before and have had those moments where I am fighting and discussing with AV and have done urge surfing etc and working through them and NOT drank, gone on to have years of sobriety.

But now, over the last few months it feels different. There is no doubt, negotiation or even consideration. I just throw it all away and drink in that moment which then leads to weeks of every night.

What do I do differently this time? How do I tell myself in THAT moment that drinking is not a good idea. I mean I know it but the AV is so powerful.

I tend to go on holiday regularly and tell myself well you'll drink on holiday so why not now? So I have cancelled all my holidays booked for this year. I am not going anywhere but staying home and focusing on my sobriety. Obviously I need to do more but for now getting through each day.

Starting to feel a bit better today. Sorry for long post just need to write down my mindset. Thank you.
Don't apologize. Many, like me, are in your exact same position. The last time I made it to 40 days we went on a trip and it was the same thing. I felt great, had a pleasant few days and on day three ordered a beer with dinner and the monster was back full force. I guess we just have to remember no matter how good we feel, and no matter how easy everyone makes it look, it isn't for us. Maybe that's a bad thing OR MAYBE it's a good thing. I guess i/we have to tell ourselves it's never just one, and it's never just one night. As much as we may "like" that first fun evening, by the seventh we will hate it and ourselves again.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello lovely March People. s

Honestly, for me the answer is a program of recovery that we keep in place. Before I had that, I could be sober for a few weeks or months at a time, but then I also succumbed to the 'I am fine now, I can have a drink' voice that interrupted my life.

I need my recovery books and I need to be here every day. I think I have missed about 5 days on SR in 5 years....and I can tell you those were not good days. Left to my own devices in the middle of a crisis, I was at risk.

Anyway, love to all of you. s xx ❤️❤️

And nice to meet you Kevin. ❤️❤️
Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I plan on March 2020 being my first sober calendar month in 3 years. Feeling confident. I've made my big plan and am ready to recognize my AV when it strikes.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello classmates,

Well i am here, was in January class got to day 38 and disaster yesterday.

so it's back to dreading the next week as i know what is probably coming with regards to anxiety.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That sounds awesome dear ff!! s

And hello dear Cynix. With you every step. s xx
Old 03-01-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to everyone joining this group. Welcome to new members and to those who are here, trying again to make this work. It's hard to come back and face a new beginning, but giving up is not an option.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone in day 11 and also aiming for march to be full calendar month after messing up in February