Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 4

Old 02-16-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks daisy!
Old 02-16-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

DLB, I've been in sports bars and so forth without drinking before but it was usually because I had already drank too much elsewhere or was half sick from drinking the previous night. My wife's work Christmas party this year was at a kind of pub restaurant and I was not bashful about sampling the craft choices they had on draft. I don't anticipate that being as much of a challenge though as some other situations.

Just found out that our drinking friends are having a birthday party in a couple of weeks. This will be a bigger challenge but I'm not so intimidated by it anymore.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Would we have to explain to anyone why we were on a diet? Or a health kick? Not so much....people tend to say oh really, that's great. And they ask questions because lots of people want to be healthier.

You can tell your family whatever makes you comfortable fish, but I just said to extended family that I'm not drinking anymore. Not one person ever asked why. So

DB honey ~ what lies our heads tell us.... "I just want one sip" errr, really....
I never managed to keep it to just one bottle. s

Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Excellent points, as always, Suze! I wrestle with wanting to share with people so that I might be an inspiration to someone else who is struggling vs worrying about over sharing vs wondering if by sharing I’m being too self-serving, etc. Plus, I’ve had a lot of Day 1s and I fear that people would think, “ok, yeah... now she’s quitting again.” So for now, I’ve only told family and super close friends.

I do think when I get to the year mark that I will make a bigger announcement. I quit FB, but have picked it up again (I’ve been bored). One of my former HS classmates is 5 years sober and makes milestone announcements on occasion. He’s an inspiration for me and I admire that he can be so honest with his struggles. That’s how I want to be.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I understand totally love.
In time, you can tell the world if you want to....I did. s

It gets even simpler really, lots of people choose "no thanks" or if you are American, you might say "I'm fine". Why would anyone challenge you? Really....
Anyone who says oh, but you must have a drink! is probably already tipsy themselves....
Old 02-16-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

((Daisybelle))
((Willow))
((sobermafia))
((sober45))
#womenJan2020. Thank you for sharing these bits from your lives. It's tough but your strength shines through.

jr; thank you for the PM. 🤗. Also loved the post about your parents. Very touching.

fishkiller; It's great that you got yourself a new kayak!

Hey everybody!

It's been a while... My entire household has been down with colds, coughing and one ear infection. My older kid was home all week so I was busier than usual. We're on the mend now.

The conversation around cravings, temptation and triggers has resonated with me. A friend here on SR said something that helped; '...drinking is a nasty habit that we, human beings, get ourselves into...' Basically, we should never have started, and we are doing the absolute right thing in abstaining.

db7; have you been on the gratitude lists' morning thread? There's a bedtime thread too.If not, then I'd recommend it. There's actually another daisybelle on there... She's from the UK.

Congrats to everyone on accumulating those sober days, one day at a time. I really look forward to seeing the first 60 days celebrations. Myself, I make 30 days on Wednesday so I'm happy about that. As always, I appreciate you all.

❤🤗 and good night from me.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:01 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

One of my Facebook friends posted this, and I thought I would share:

"Addictions just don't get better. They are either actively fed or actively fought, and I'm still here fighting everyday."
Old 02-16-2020, 05:28 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

ButterMarsh, I have seen that thread title... I don’t think I’ve checked it out yet. I send a daily gratitude list to my sponsor every morning, but I’d love to read what others are grateful for. Sometimes I wonder if I’m writing goofy things. 🤗 ❤️

sobermafia, I love that quote! Thank you for sharing it with us.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates

Not too much to report but I am happy to wake up sober and hangover free today. I did have a my AV on and off all day but I pushed through.
Mondays used to be horrific, how I would get ready for work, sweating and anxiety ridden. When I feel all this isn't worth it, or necessary, it is the memory of those regular situations that pick me up again.

Have healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb
Old 02-17-2020, 03:52 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Hope everyone has a great Monday.

We mowed the yard for the first time yesterday and the oak pollen is starting. Round two after the pine pollen a couple of weeks ago. Taking the boats, zeroturn, generator (in early anticipation of tropical weather) to get serviced this week to try to beat the spring rush. Its supposed to be in the 80s later this week.

Welcome to sunny Florida where hot humid weather is never far off and the lawn always needs mowing.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning. Just touching base. It was a rough weekend due to a flood in the basement but I got through it sober. So tired today. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 02-17-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Oh no! That does sound stressful in winter!!!!
Sending love and hoping your week is much better than your weekend! s ❤️
Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobermafia View Post
One of my Facebook friends posted this, and I thought I would share:

"Addictions just don't get better. They are either actively fed or actively fought, and I'm still here fighting everyday."
Yes yes yes....love this. Thank you so much for sharing.

HUGE Monday hugs for all of you.... s xx ❤️
Old 02-17-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Flood in the basement doesn't sound fun.

Thank you venuscat.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I don't think I have said hello to yet today dear Cityboy.

s xx
Old 02-17-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Does anyone find themselves triggered by watching people drink on television shows?

I guess there are two parts to this question/admission.

I used to do a lot of drinking (wine) and watch TV shows, and I guess there's part of me that enjoyed certain TV shows more with wine.

And then there is another aspect where I think some of the TV shows that I watch/and or watched glamorized drinking and probably contributed to my problem in a small way. (Although I am in no way blaming TV as the source of my problem).

I have been watching a couple of TV shows the I have watched for a while. Both of which are reality shows with a lot of drinking and it makes me miss drinking somewhat. I'm just being honest and putting it out there.

Maybe it's because it's so early on or maybe it's because I've got a lot of of stuff going on or maybe it's because I'm weak. I don't know.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?
Old 02-17-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Good morning amazing classmates!

dlb, nice work on shutting down AV. I used to live for Sunday Funday... it takes on a whole new meaning now, doesn’t it? Actually, I used to live for everyday Funday, but you know what I mean.

Cityboy, sounds like you have a busy day planned. Good luck with all of that! Funny humidity story... we have very little humidity in CO. Back in September I went to NE for a volunteer gig. I swear I thought I was going to melt into a pile of goo with frizzy hair. My skin did appreciate it though.

Sober45, ugh!! Sorry to hear about your basement, but glad you pushed through with no alcohol. Situations like that are so distressing.

Good morning, Suze! ❤️😃

Nothin new here, which you all know is a good thing in my life these days! I’m comfortable with my foot up in the recliner, sweet puppy by my side, and TV shows on the DVR. Life is good ❤️
Old 02-17-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh yes sobermafia.....with you all the way....when I got sober I was unable to watch a ton of shows....so many of them revolve around alcohol....craziness....it is in almost every scene in many shows...

I also used to like to drink with them (made me feel like I was doing nothing at all wrong, sort of), the whole glam drinking thing looked so cool and I wanted to join in. Ridiculous hey? On so many levels.

Even Shameless. Even though it shows how far drugs and alcohol could take us, I was still triggered by Frank Gallagher. (Drunk matriarch).

I decided to stop watching tv all together....the advertisements were often worse than the actual shows. And I still do that....I watch everything I watch on my laptop with no adds or movies etc that I put on a flash drive and plug into the tv.

Sorry, that was a lot....but yes.....I totally hear you. ❤️
Old 02-17-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

sobermafia, yes!!! I’m so glad you mentioned that because I have thought the same thing over the past month. I watch all sorts of TV shows, and I’d say 95% of them have people drinking. However, one show I watch is Vanderpump Rules (I know, silly reality TV), and one of the women on there, Lala, started off this season saying that she’d been sober for 8 months. They are all young, work at various bars, and party hard. As I’ve watched the season, I’ve especially watched her. She goes out with her peers, and she drinks water. She’s surround by hard core drinkers, yet she remains firm in her sobriety. So, and I never do this, I DMd her on Instagram and told her how nice it was to see a sober person on TV, and I thanked her for sharing her sober journey. She wrote me back! She was very kind.

Anyway, I know that’s a long story, but I’ve been finding myself trying to look for the sober people in my TV shows, or I’ll watch the people drinking and see how they inevitably make fools of themselves (on “reality” TV anyway). On regular shows, I tell myself that they’re probably drinking water with food coloring. It can be very triggering though.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Love to you and your sweet puppy dearest DB ~ I hope you are both healing. s xxxx