Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 2

Old 01-17-2020, 02:18 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

G’day

Bahahaha Daisybelle7 I agree with Dee, that’s pretty much how the Aussies round here sound, well the ones from the bush in particular,... as long as it’s said in a slow Queensland drawl lol

We had rain last night and today! Hooray

Just finishing up day 17.

Congratulations on 10 days Wolfie

Friday night here and I’m off to bed guys, night night everyone
Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi all
Great reading all the posts today. I am doing well. Occasional wrestling with my AV. I am determined to push through this phase. I feel in control.
Today I have to plan out my weekend. I do better without idle time.

Best of luck to everyone today (or tonight) .
Old 01-17-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Now I have to share my Outback story. I went there for dinner once with my spouse and tried to order a bottle of wine. The server asked how many glasses we needed and I said "one." It was just for me. The waitress said she couldn't serve a whole bottle to just one person, it was their policy. I still remember the shame of that.

Like others here, I'm sleeping better now. Also not having the night sweats I used to have. The other improvement I've noticed is that my driving has been much easier. I've had bouts of driving anxiety for many years. It was quite challenging. My commute to work this week has been comfortable. Huge for me.

I am so so proud of everyone here. I feel safe and supported here. Today is day 14 for me.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone! Sorry I didn't check in yesterday. Still balancing a crazy workload and helping my mom out. BUT, I am working out, NOT drinking, and making better food choices. So entering day 17 today!

Congrats on day 14 Silversky and everyone else on your milestones. I don't have an Outback story. Only been there a couple of times in Minnesota, and I'm not crazy about steak, so nothing memorable for me.

Happy Friday to all.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

My wife had a friend from Australia about 15 years ago. Never heard her say g'day. She left her husband one evening and came over with her daughter to stay in the upstairs bedroom for a couple of weeks, then went back to Australia.

Hope the rain down under is helping with the fires.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:10 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Sobermofia, I've not been to the gym this week. There is a store next to the gym that has a great selection of wine and beer and it is just going to be another in a long list of triggers that I'll need to manage. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Congrats on 17 days.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Silverski, the last couple of days my sleep routine has been different as far as going to bed later and waking up later than normal, but at least I haven't been waking up at 3:00 in the morning (could set your clock by it almost), raiding the fridge, and watching TV on silent until I could settle back down and go back to bed. Congrats on 14.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
And the most important thing that has changed is my relationship with my husband. He was never a drinker and had become scared of me when drunk in recent years. My anger would boil up and I would lash out at him with my tongue with something or other I never actually remembered saying the next day!

He chose to not be around me most evenings and would either stay in his office or go to bed early. We stopped communicating. Now we are talking and spending the evenings together, and he told me the other day how proud he was of me for not drinking!
It amazes me at how I could have said exactly the same things as so much of what is said here. The cycle of being incoherently inebriated one night, then cranky, mean, and half sick the next, then incoherent the next, and so forth, has characterized my relationship with my wife and kid.

I've not shared what I am trying to do with them. Don't want to hex myself by talking about it.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I’m on day 6 today, and heading into my first sober weekend. I was a binge drinker, and tended to drink heavily on the weekends. We might go out to dinner tonight, but my DH knows I quit drinking so I know for sure I won’t order a drink, but it will definitely be hard watching other people drinking.

MrWolfie68, congrats on double digits!

Geenie, my DH isn’t a drinker either. He will have 1 or 2 beers occasionally. I used to pick horrible fights with him when I was drunk, then the next day he’d tell me how much he hates it when I get drunk, which would **** me off more and make me want to drink more... vicious cycle.

dontlookbacchus, I’m glad you mentioned planning out your weekend. I’m going to do that this morning.

Willow68, congrats on day 17! I hope you have a great weekend!

silversky, your story resonated with me. I once got a bottle of wine at the movie theater, and the bartender gave me 2 glasses (I was with friends). I told him I only needed one, and he said they weren’t allowed to do that. I was so embarrassed, but it didn’t stop me from drinking the whole bottle, then going to the pot shop afterwards, and coming home and drinking more. I had alcohol poisoning the next day.

sobermafia, congrats on day 17!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I am sure your wife knows anyway dear Cityboy....bet she is happy that her husband is feeling better. s

Beautiful posts....
So happy for you dear Geenie. s

OK....so to be completely honest Outback is terrible, not even a good standard of meat by USDA standards. And the entire menu is NOTHING at all like an Aussie menu. Just awful. I buy USDA level 4 steak from WF and grill....well my husband does (bbq for the Aussies), and I make the vegies. Awesome mash and green beans and cooked mushies.

OK....group dinner....you are all invited....we just have to work out a suitable time and book some flights.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

venuscat, my mouth is watering! What are cooked mushies? We’re supposed to go out to eat tonight, but a steak from WF sounds way better and healthier!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Just sliced mushrooms in a skillet with a little butter (or an organic buttery spread like I use, usually olive oil). I love Portobello mushrooms ~ the flavour is divine. And the mushies look and taste so good with creamy white mashed potatoes and French green beans. xx

....Oh and we buy the filet mignon steaks.....expensive but divine.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

venuscat, ok, I know what we’re having for dinner now!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Awesome!!!! And the organic gold potatoes mash divinely....and now I am doing those vegies too with Australian steak and mushroom pie for me and steak and kidney pie (s) for my husband. Off to do the grocery shopping..... xx
Old 01-17-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Those blooming onions at the outback are good, although not health conscious I'm sure. I almost never order steak out, except for at a seafood place we go to with friends sometimes my wife and I will split their NY strip which is really wonderful. Those same friends will get a whole beef tenderloin and have a small gathering sometimes. The steak is always great. They always have a bottle of wine and some high class bourbon open. That is going to be one of my long-term tests of strength I'm sure.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter how top quality the booze is, it will still kill me. s
Maybe when you have dinner with your friends you could take your own drinks...grab a carton of sparkling flavoured mineral water or something nice. I do that if I can. s
Old 01-17-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Morning folks. Afternoon, evening, night (pick one).

Now class:

"Notice everything,
overlook a great deal,
correct a little."

Steak with mushies at venuscat's for the first SRer who tells us who said the above.*

* The fine print: You are disqualified if you just read the quote on another post in another thread this morning. Airfare not included. Subject to venuscat's (and venuscat's husband's) approval. Should that not be forthcoming, the consolation prize is the same meal at jr67's. jr67 has a barbie that the store said is Aussie style (true!, that's how it was described, though I don't know what is supposed to be Aussie about it), and jr67 is no stranger to the grill, and also loves portobellos and lives less than a mile from a Whole Foods. So the winner gets jr67's version of that scrummy-sounding meal. Not redeemable until the snow melts (at the North Pole, at which time you won't need airfare, you can swim to jr67's, wherever that is). May be subject to additional restrictions. Offer may be withdrawn at any time (as in, before you even read this, but we shall see).
Old 01-17-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

He he he.....you should have added "googling will also disqualify you". Which I did. So I know who said it. And it is a FANTASTIC quote and may well change my life. Thank you.

And lmao re your BBQ....what brand is it? And did it come with an apron like this?

Old 01-17-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Yeah....... I Googled, too. It is an awesome quote!
Old 01-17-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Mmmmm, steak and mushrooms!!!!

Glad I didnt read that while fasting yesterday lol

Doc said all looks good!

Gonna celebrate! Looks like steak onions and mushrooms for dinner. Baked potato, broccoli.