Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 27

Old 01-24-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

24 Days

A rainy day today and rain/snow tomorrow. Perfect weather to get my stack of stuff done. Today is day 24 without alcohol. I cant say it has been revolutionary this far, but it has been healthful. And though not overly productive, more so than usual. It has been a great reminder of the daily value of sobriety, mostly with regard to relationships, communication, self-value. But, I must admit it’s only been a start. I will have a mindful decision to make this week whether to continue into February and/or beyond. I’ve paid attention to my health and daily living. Now for a deeper dive into the future. I hope and pray this week will supply answers about that.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you can do it Lofty

Have a good sober weekend all

D
Old 01-27-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Day 27

Thanks, Dee, for the encouragement. And thanks to each of the Marchers, for keeping alive a place where we can comfortably post our thoughts, challenges, and progress. Rarely are we allowed to peer into each others lives like we do here, and to learn from and support each other. In today’s intrusive and often nonsensical social media world, this feels like a safe place to be honest and forthright.

I’ve wondered before if my coming in and out of this group has been a disservice to others, whereby a reader might take solace or license in my failure to remain sober and act on a trigger to drink again out of my decision to do so. If that is the case, I apologize. I dont wish my transparency to be a license or trigger for anyone. Nor do I wish my struggle to be a drag or anchor to anyone’s success. I’ve seen several come here and grow from here successfully fulfilling their missions and moving on to further their growth in new endeavors and places. I laud and congratulate those folks as much as I admire and respect those who have continued posting here regularly.

My nature has been to come here when I’ve hit a bottom, or had a disruption or revelation in my life. And then, when things improve, I forget about it and return to “normal” life. And that has included a return to drinking again.

This time is different for me. Not that I am predicting a drink, but that I came back in a different place. A good place. I had a pretty good year last year in business. My marriage has been mending pretty nicely. My other family relationships have been relatively drama-free. My former triggering “friendships” have been eliminated. I feel no pressure or need to drink to escape or to keep up. And Dry January was actually my wife’s suggestion, and she’s stuck to it.

Additionally, the “come down” to reality has also not been dramatic. Rather, I’ve had a slow, steady return to awareness in my life. Each week, my eyes have opened a little more to the realities of my life, both good and bad, rather than in an overwhelming momentary epiphany that sends guilt and adrenaline running through my veins. This weekend, some financial realities came to light, but I didnt despair as I have before. It will all work out. And I am calm and accepting of the reality and cognizant of the need to do differently.

That said, I am not currently seeing any positive or rewarding outcome of choosing to drink again simply because I made a month and that was my goal. Or simply beacuse it will be a new month. Rather, I am seeing great value in the continued stabilizing of my mind and in improving my life on the basis of daily awareness and growth.

My wife has already said she will drink again when DryJanuary is over. But, I think she has also seen growth in herself, in me, and in us. I believe I can take t from here on my own without undue influence by her drinking. But I will do that a day at a time.

Thanks for continuing to be here and for “listening” if you’ve read this far. But, really, these posts are for me, as a journal. If you gain by them, great!

Peace.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, Lofty. I've tried to post somewhat regularly over the last almost 9 years. Dee and Aussie, too, of course. Sometimes I tell myself I shouldn't bother, that no one really cares about this thread anymore (as there are other places to post). So, I'm glad to hear you're glad it's still here. I'm not gonna lie, I do get frustrated when people up and disappear, but I know we're all on our own journey, doing it the way that's best for us. I respect that we're all on our own paths, even though our destination is basically the same. I just miss my friends. I'm glad to hear things are going so well for you this month. As well as for your wife.

I've been thinking lately that I think part of the reason I drank so often at night was because it helped with anxiety in the evenings. (I know it's been 8 years now, but it seems I'm still realizing some things!) I really feel like in the evenings, I get an uneasy feeling and I can kinda wig out about little things. Like if I don't feel right, I'll convince myself something is really wrong. If my stomach gurgles, I get scared I'm going to throw up. It's weird. (It's a little ptsdish from my stomach flu last year. That was really traumatic for me. I hope that doesn't sound silly.) Anyway, I have xanax prescribed to me for sort of "rescue medicine". Not routine, not daily, but for those times when I'm a little freaked out. It does help but it also makes me sleepy and a little crabby the next day. (It's a low dose and I cut them in half so I'm not taking much at all.)

I think of how a few glasses of wine would help me. It would just let me relax a little. Unfortunately, doing that didn't work out so well for me, as I have a faulty OFF switch. But I wonder now if that's why I got into that habit in the evenings. Was I squashing those feelings? I thought I had those feelings cuz I wanted to drink. I guess I didn't realize I was coping, I just thought it was a habit. Does that make sense? And then it gets me to wondering if my OFF switch is still broken. I know, that's not good thinking. I'm going to try to take Magnesium regularly at night to see if that helps. It's supposed to promote relaxation, fight anxiety and be all around good stuff, naturally. I find night time to be my problem time. I need to get through the evenings. I'm not in the best way, in that regard.

Thanks for listening. xo
Old 01-27-2020, 12:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dee, look at how many posts you have. lol Do you have the most in this forum? Is someone keeping track? Someone needs to keep track. haha You're awesome. You've helped so many.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found out the other day I have the most outside of a test Admin account that has 999 999
Ripped off!

but yeah I have the most of a real person lol ...
D
Old 01-27-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Haha! I wonder what happens when you pass 999,999. Will it go to a million or start over with zeroes? Talk about being ripped off!
Old 01-27-2020, 04:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suspect 999 999 is the limit.
I'm not aiming for that LOL

D
Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Lol You got this!
Old 01-28-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Day 28

Hi Mirage. The faulty OFF switch. I like the analogy. Mine’s broken too. Anxiety goes hand in hand with a lot of co-morbities, like substance abuse, depression, ADHD, to name a few that are in my life. The fallacy is that the thing that makes us feel relieved of it is actually feeding it, until the new problem s actually worse than the old. We are all broken beings. Some are more cognizant or mindful of it than others. We cant save ourselves by simply switching vices. I’ve tried that approach. Acceptance, I think, is key to awareness. I am glad my awareness has increased over the course of this month. It gives me the incentive to keep going and keep growing.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 28 days Lofty

Yeah I have a switch like that too but it doesn't matter once you decide to abandon using it

D
Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congrats, Lofty!
Mirage, I've been on your son's boat! Very cool!

So the girl I'd told you about last ended up going to detox, and was drunk about within a few hours of coming home. This is a crappy disease.

Nothing too exciting here to report, except that I'm happy, joyous, and free. I hope you're all having a good January!
Old 01-28-2020, 07:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sony about your friend pbc - that sucks - but glad to hear you are doing so well

D
Old 01-30-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

30 days today!

Hi PBC! Glad to see your post. And prayers for your friend. Sometimes the light travels at a slower speed for some of us. For me, I blame it on my density.

In early days for me, buoyancy and good spirits are essential. Getting down and depressed is a deal killer. Thank God He has kept me buoyant and resilient, but has not allowed pollyannish sentiment to take over. I am aware of my realities, good and bad. I dont want to bury my head in the sands from despair or by euphoria. Right down the middle keeps me whole.

Hope all have a great day!
Old 01-31-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi.
Nice to see everyone doing so well.
I wish I had something to add to the forum that isn't a whinge so I am not going to say anything , just glad your all here.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a good weekend

D
Old 02-03-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Aw, this is a safe place to whinge, Aussie! Hope you're ok. xo

It's Feb 3rd, how is your resolve, Lofty? I hope you feel motivated to keep staying sober even though your dry January is over! A month is a long time, you might as well keep going!
Old 02-08-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well, I made it 30 days. And then it was over. And, oh, how quickly the lethargy and depression returned. But, I will climb back on the bus and make tomorrow Day 1. Thanks for being here!
Old 02-08-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank again Lofty. Did your wife go back to drinking too?

D
Old 02-08-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Glad you want another day 1!