Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 3

Old 12-07-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimiC View Post
The only time my wife and I really hang out is when we're drinking together. She does not support my sobriety and tells me it's a bad thing. She frequently offers me some of her drink no matter how many times I tell her STOP - NO.
That's plain low life behaviour. Not to stoke the fires or anything but it is. Sorry Jimi.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hello all. Good to see everyone's safely on the wagon for another day. I had a nice game of golf this morning, weather pretty decent. I wasn't looking forward to it but I enjoyed it in the end. Seeing some good friends for a play and dinner later. I guess I could do without it but it will keep me busy and that's a good thing. Plus, I'm comfortable around them and they are very supportive of my sobriety. So all in all a great start to the weekend. It's good to hear of the relapse warning signs - funny isn't it, hearing of others having a wobble is almost a trigger for me. How perverse is that. Guess anything that even indirectly validates drinking will do it.

Anyway - I consider myself pretty vulnerable at the moment. And it will be a long time before sobriety isn't my key first concern when I wake up in any given day. Think I need to go back and listen to Annie Grace again - and remind myself how much of a toxic poison alcohol really is - and all of the various ways that the culture in which we live in give me "permission" to ingest it.

Have a great Saturday everyone. Keep up the good work
Old 12-07-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Sad, but that's probably her way of trying to keep us together. We'll spend time together drinking plus I'll become lazy and complacent - UGH.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimiC View Post
Sad, but that's probably her way of trying to keep us together. We'll spending time together drinking plus I'll become lazy and complacent - UGH.
Hmm, yeah. Guess I can see it, to be honest.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Thanks Brian I had over four years at one point (years ago),I’m trying to remember when I stopped counting days then. Maybe you’re right, not just yet... perhaps when I get to 100 or so?

have a great day all
Old 12-07-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
Thanks Brian I had over four years at one point (years ago),I’m trying to remember when I stopped counting days then. Maybe you’re right, not just yet... perhaps when I get to 100 or so?

have a great day all
Did you have any sort of programme? I don't and I'm hoping to see other good examples who don't either!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Nope! And I don’t plan to this time but I need to stay close to SR. Drifting away last time was one of the many reasons I went back to drinking.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Nope! And I don’t plan to this time but I need to stay close to SR. Drifting away last time was one of the many reasons I went back to drinking.
Awesome. Me too. SR will be the cornerstone for me I feel.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Yes I don't understand the programme thing. Don't drink is the plan.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

A plan works for a lot of people. A simple one is think before you drink and post before you toast. I have a Word doc where I've saved a lot of excerpts from here that spoke to me. I also wrote the many negatives of drinking and my personal struggles which I read periodically. I had sober streaks of 6+ months in 2017 & 2018 and I've talked about getting over a year, but haven't made it YET...one day at a time.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Oh no I get that JimiC. It's a good thing to remember. Think before you drink, post before you toast. Just have a bit of a breathing space after the idea of drinking came to mind.
By programme or plan I thought it was something complicated that you'd have to keep in your mind all the time. Also, I didn't want anything that would set up any barriers, for instance where there'd be places I couldn't go or people I couldn't see - within reason of course.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I think the word program just needs to mean an ongoing plan of action.

Think about it with regards to studying.....without any kind of program, it is easy to not get the work done.

For me, my program includes SR every day (no 1 by far) and some other things that work for me including recovery books and meditations.

AA and other recovery groups do not set up barriers as such re where you can go and what you have to think....I feel that a lot of that is people (not you taslow love, I mean the dogmatic peeps you sometimes meet in the rooms) having misinterpreted the spirit of the AA program. It is predominantly about one alcoholic helping another and sharing experience strength and hope.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

I changed taplow to taslow.....oops. s
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

good morning, all! Great ideas for recovery! The same thing happened to me, Soberythesea. I drifted away and then relapsed. (I don't count days either) Not this time though!!

I think that having a spouse, who (it seems) doesn't support your sobriety is a tough one....almost as if she is trying to sabotage your efforts.

It' raining today in Cali, but I think hubby and I are going to try to make a matinee, followed by lunch/dinner...really looking forward to getting out off the house to do something fun! Have a great Saturday, everyone!
Old 12-07-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Lol, maybe I'll try that next time. I don't mind if he drinks, and I'm glad he's keeping it away from me. I just can't stand that smell.
Uggghh. I used to be the one with the stinking wine breath. Yuk. I could smell it myself when I cupped my hands around my face. My poor partner, he said I reeked. Another reason to never go back there... how embarrassing...
Old 12-07-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
I didn't realise you had over a year Willow. That's a solid track record to look towards for me who hasn't been able to get to 6 weeks.
Yes I stopped in May last year and clocked up over a year. I realise now that I’d been having drinking thoughts for quite a while before I actually drank again. I’m hopeful that this time I’m more aware of the insidious nature of the AV sneaking up on me in small ways that I hadn’t previously recognised, so hopefully this time I can stay sober permanently. I’ve had so many day 1, prior to my year they didn’t last more than a few days mostly, or on some occasions a few weeks. SR made all the difference and is what helped me get to a year.

I just read Annie Grace which was really really helpful. Also, recently seeing Bandicoot’s post about the relapse ladder is hopefully going to help me stay sober this time

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...7-post145.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 465)
Old 12-07-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

new thread here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-4-a.html (Class of November 2019 Part 4)

D