Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 2

Old 11-15-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of November 2019 Part 2

last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-1-a-20.html (Class of November 2019 Part 1)

Hi Citrus and Misty and anyone lurking. Hope things are well Venuscat!

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you RAL - and Auggie and LuluBread

the first days are tough but it will get better. One of my addictions greatest ploys was to convince me it would always be this hard - thats nonsense.

What kinds of things do you do to deal with the AV Auggie?

D
Old 11-15-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

Good night all. We will get through this. Forwards and upwards x
Old 11-15-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Sunshine's! San Diego is awesome and I am enjoying it sober. It's one of my favorite places on the planet! I did some reiki healing down at seaport village by a "master". Lol it's weird I think it worked 😂. Anyway sober and sane is how I shall remain. Day 27
Old 11-15-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I chose not to drink and talk a valium instead, for my nerves. However I seem to be worse than I have been for days.

I am on day four. I had a wee slip up on Monday morning after finding a quarter bottle of vodka that I'd hidden. But in eight days I have drunk just 9.5 UK units (about 4 beers). I have smoked three cigarettes tonight, for the first time in a few days...but surely that can't be the reason for this sudden anxiety?
Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Auchieshuggle

I think anxiety is a part of most peoples withdrawal experience. It was certainly a part of mine, altho I was always anxious - it was one of the reasons I started drinking in the first place.

Unfortunately alcohol is not very effective for very long, and by the end of my drinking I had not only the anxiety I had before, but also the anxiety of wanting a drink and not being able to have one.

Things will get better tho - this is not the best things will get - hang in there

If you can't get into the breathing exercises I posted elsewhere, try some exercise, or if all else fails, try doing mundane menial stuff like housecleaning, or reading a favourite book, listenign to favourite music or watching a favourite movie or tv show

this can be useful too when breathing exercises are beyond you:
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8199296.html

(sorry for mistyping you as 'Auggie' too - I need to wear my reading glasses) D
Old 11-15-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Auchieshuggle

I think anxiety is a part of most peoples withdrawal experience. It was certainly a part of mine, altho I was always anxious - it was one of the reasons I started drinking in the first place.

Unfortunately alcohol is not very effective for very long and by the end of my drinking I had not only the anxiety I had before but also the anxiety of wanting a drink and not being able to have one.

Things will get better tho - this is not the best things will get - hang in there

If you can't get into the breathing exercises I posted elsewhere, try some exercise, or if all else fails, try doing mundane menial stuff like housecleaning, or reading a favourite book, listenign to favourite music or watching a favourite movie or tv show

this can be useful too when breathing exercises are beyond you:
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8199296.html

sorry for mistyping you as 'Auggie' too - I need to ewear my reading glasses) D
Thanks for replying Dee! I specifically fear having a heart attack, though I recognise this is silly and almost certainly psychological, I can't get that out of my mind. I'm frightened of leaving the house, exercising or doing anything. I probably shouldn't have had those cigarettes.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I empathise - I thought for years my heart must be bad cos I was always getting chest pains.

I never get them anymore

D
Old 11-15-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow it's quiet in here tonight.

Auchie, I believe your anxiety will subside the longer you're sober. I know I only have 13 days right now myself but it seems like a world of peace in between me and that last terrible hangover. I bet in another week, even, you'll feel so much better than now.

I ordered a pizza tonight and watched a movie at home with the cat. She seems very happy that I didn't go out. Tomorrow night I have a family dinner to go to with my bf -- his mother is in town. I'm a bit nervous because there will be a lot of people there and wine flowing. But it'll be two weeks tomorrow and there's no way I am screwing that up.

I feel so much better. Even if I just sleep for a few hours at night, I wake up so much more refreshed than when I was drinking. I have my energy and focus back at work (especially now that I'm not so sick anymore), and life just seems more manageable suddenly. I'm not saying everything is perfect, but it's a lot better.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Been a busy day around here. I got lunch with my daughter and we grocery shopped. I am so happy that I didn't have any cravings while out! Grocery shopping is one of the most dangerous times for me. I was ready for it. We where having so much fun together that it just wasn't even a thought.

My youngest and I watched Wall-e after my daughter left for work and played some yahtzee. Picked my oldest up from practice and now we are watching the new Star Wars show on Disney+ while eating some pizzas I cooked from Aldi. 🧡

Mystic, I remember that 3/4 yo stage when they have to do EVERYTHING themselves. My kids are 11, 13, 15 and 18 now and are a lot of fun to be around (most of the time). We live in a pretty rural place so we are a close family. There is lots of hope for your little one to want to hang out with you when they are older.

Auchieshuggle I had a whole heck of a lot of anxiety for the first week a little into the second. Still a little here and there but not like the beginning at all. And not one panic attack since I stopped. I was having atleast on a week for the past 3 years! I have found Rescue Remedy (not medical advice, just something that has worked for me) to really help curb anxiety. I love using lavendar oil on my temples. And as Dee said breathing techniques have really helped as well. Also watching my caffine intake.

Congrats to all of you on your milestones be it finishing one day or 30! I am so proud of us all!
Old 11-15-2019, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Going into the weekend, Novembers. Remember to keep reading and posting often. I posted daily when I was in early recovery. I think the "classes" that form here is one of the most important things at SR, and I'm living proof that it works.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reminder Outonthetiles! Congrats on your sober time!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love to all. Goodnight.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Goodnight to all

D
Old 11-15-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Weekend

Hello to everyone from a freezing cold Madrid.

It's another weekend, which is great as it means a couple of days off work, but at the same time it's a danger zone as not having to get up and go to work makes it harder for me to resist allowing myself to have a drink or two (which often turns into a bottle or two of wine). This week has been a weird one. I decided to allow myself to have a drink or two on Wednesday and Thursday and I did just that, two glasses of sherry.

I often manage to drink in moderation, but there's a high risk that I don't and so many awful things have happened to me in the past when I've been drunk. I should have talked about what happened on Wednesday and Thursday when I was in group therapy yesterday, but I wasn't able to as I felt bad about having had those drinks. The group therapy is really helping. It's nice to be in a group with people who are going through the same thing. Most of us in the group have a problem with alcohol but there are some who are fighting other drugs and others who have struggled with alcohol and drugs. We are united by the desire to win the fight and choose a different way of living. A couple of them spoke about their experience with Antabuse. It seems like a good option for me. I'm tired of the hours of debating with myself as to whether I should allow myself to drink or not. Antabuse could be a relief as that debate wouldn't need to happen and I could just enjoy my life more as I'd waste less time. I'm going to discuss it with the doctor at the addiction centre where I have the group therapy.

I feel that I'm doing well and that this week was a weird one. I also feel very lucky that I managed to avoid problems this week. I need more support to make sure that I don't pick up that first glass that could in fact be just the first of two or could equally be the first of 20 as it has been many times in the past.

It's Saturday morning and it's great not to have a hangover and I'm so glad that I didn't drink last night as Friday nights are so dangerous for me. After trying to do this on my own and with willpower I'm now trying new things (group therapy and next talking to the doctor about Antabuse).

I feel positive that I can have a great, alcohol free weekend. I've just had a really nice breakfast and now it's time to wrap up and head off out. There are a couple of exhibitions that I want to see and later I'm meeting a friend for a coffee and later tonight am going to the theatre.

I hope that everybody is waking up fresh and positive.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I empathise - I thought for years my heart must be bad cos I was always getting chest pains.

I never get them anymore

D
That's reassuring to know, thanks.

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
Wow it's quiet in here tonight.

Auchie, I believe your anxiety will subside the longer you're sober. I know I only have 13 days right now myself but it seems like a world of peace in between me and that last terrible hangover. I bet in another week, even, you'll feel so much better than now.

I ordered a pizza tonight and watched a movie at home with the cat. She seems very happy that I didn't go out. Tomorrow night I have a family dinner to go to with my bf -- his mother is in town. I'm a bit nervous because there will be a lot of people there and wine flowing. But it'll be two weeks tomorrow and there's no way I am screwing that up.

I feel so much better. Even if I just sleep for a few hours at night, I wake up so much more refreshed than when I was drinking. I have my energy and focus back at work (especially now that I'm not so sick anymore), and life just seems more manageable suddenly. I'm not saying everything is perfect, but it's a lot better.
I really hope so. I suppose it will just take time, but last night was horrible. I seem to be feeling much better this morning, though.

Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
Hi guys! Been a busy day around here. I got lunch with my daughter and we grocery shopped. I am so happy that I didn't have any cravings while out! Grocery shopping is one of the most dangerous times for me. I was ready for it. We where having so much fun together that it just wasn't even a thought.

My youngest and I watched Wall-e after my daughter left for work and played some yahtzee. Picked my oldest up from practice and now we are watching the new Star Wars show on Disney+ while eating some pizzas I cooked from Aldi. ��

Mystic, I remember that 3/4 yo stage when they have to do EVERYTHING themselves. My kids are 11, 13, 15 and 18 now and are a lot of fun to be around (most of the time). We live in a pretty rural place so we are a close family. There is lots of hope for your little one to want to hang out with you when they are older.

Auchieshuggle I had a whole heck of a lot of anxiety for the first week a little into the second. Still a little here and there but not like the beginning at all. And not one panic attack since I stopped. I was having atleast on a week for the past 3 years! I have found Rescue Remedy (not medical advice, just something that has worked for me) to really help curb anxiety. I love using lavendar oil on my temples. And as Dee said breathing techniques have really helped as well. Also watching my caffine intake.

Congrats to all of you on your milestones be it finishing one day or 30! I am so proud of us all!
I never drink caffeine for that very reason.

Rescue Remedy apparently contains alcohol!

Thanks for your reply, though.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-16-2019 at 12:51 AM. Reason: remove commercial link.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to remove the link cos we don;t allow commercial links here Auchie but you're right it does seem the standard variety comes with alcohol - a lot of things do to stop them glugging up over time.

I've never seen Rescue Remedy in this country except for use with dogs but Google tells me it comes in a variety of non alcoholic varieties.

If you're as strict as I am on alcohol in my body it would pay to check before use.

D
Old 11-16-2019, 01:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joy57 View Post
Hello Sunshine's! San Diego is awesome and I am enjoying it sober. It's one of my favorite places on the planet! I did some reiki healing down at seaport village by a "master". Lol it's weird I think it worked ��. Anyway sober and sane is how I shall remain. Day 27
Wonderful Joy! I just read up a little on reiki and it looks very interesting, I hope it was beneficial for you.

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post

That's a great summary of what happens when we remove the poison out of our lives, awesome job soberbythesea!

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Going into the weekend, Novembers. Remember to keep reading and posting often. I posted daily when I was in early recovery. I think the "classes" that form here is one of the most important things at SR, and I'm living proof that it works.
Thanks for popping in to support the class OOTT!

I'm up pretty early on days 6 and what do you know, I don't regret not drinking yesterday! Have a fun and sober weekend everybody.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
I often manage to drink in moderation, but there's a high risk that I don't and so many awful things have happened to me in the past when I've been drunk.
Yep... same here.

I was in the "just a couple this time won't hurt" mindset off and on for several months prior to putting together these two weeks. Dee told me this in another thread:

"yeah the worst thing is when nothing happens. It wakes up that spark that maybe there's a normal drinker in us somewhere.

We forget all the other times when disastrous things did happen.

I think too - we forget that there are changes occurring every time we drink - we may not be aware of them tho.

Neural pathways being re written, dependency being established, the dangers of worse and worse withdrawal through kindling...

there's no such thing as a free lunch with addiction."

It really stuck with me.

You sound really positive today
Old 11-16-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Auchie, I agree with Citrus and SBTS. I am only on day 12 but it is like night and day. For me, once I was able to get past day nine things started to level off. I am sleeping more sound, I wake up more refreshed, my will seems stronger, and I am much more focused. It is definitely not easy but it is worth the fight.

Joy, glad to hear that you are enjoying San Diego. Congrats on day 27.
Santi, it sounds like you have a solid plan. Enjoy your Saturday.

Time to run as the gym is calling me. I have a quiet weekend so I will be checking in often.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I’m thinking I’d like to join the class of November 2019.
I’m drawing to the end of day 3. I had over a year of sobriety, and then I mucked it up with some bad decisions, but I’m not giving up my quest for sobriety.

Congratulations to everyone who is here and working on finding a sober life.
I took a few days to read through everyone’s posts, and I didn’t want to say hi until I’d read them all. What an awesome class! All of you. Great posts, thank you all. So supportive and welcoming to everyone, it’s wonderful!
SR has been a complete lifesaver for me, with such amazing support from amazing people, especially Dee and Venuscat! ❤️

I’m so sorry on your loss Lulu. I lost my Mum last year and I miss her so much. I carry her in my heart everywhere I go. I really feel for you at this time. Sending you love.

I use rescue remedy for anxiety. They sell it in supermarkets here in Australia, but I don’t like the drops which contain alcohol. I prefer the lozenges, that don’t have alcohol in them

I’m a little tired tonight so not saying much more at the moment.
I hope you all have a good day/night. I’m off to bed now. Night night everyone.