Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 2

Old 11-16-2019, 08:19 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Goodnight and lots of love Suze! ❤
Old 11-16-2019, 08:42 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Time for me to say goodnight as well. Thank you all for helping me stay sober today.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:54 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Sunday

Happy Sunday!

In Spain it's standard to give money to the couple getting married so it doesn't seem weird to me. To be honest, I don't think that there's any difference between giving money to the couple and buying a gift from a list that the couple has made. Neither of those two options is really personal. But buying a gift that you have spent time choosing is a different thing. I think it's rude that they haven't replied to you and I'm sorry that it has happened.

I hope everyone's weekend is going well. It's another very cold start here, though it could be worse, there's been a lot of snow in the north of the country. I've got a bit of housework to do and then I'm going to a classical music concert just before lunch. I was going to go to the cinema later to see All About Eve, but there's an interesting theatre piece on later about the fall of the Berlin wall and so that's my plan for this evening.

I've had the 'should I, shouldn't I drink?' argument with myself over breakfast and managed to end it more quickly than usual and so I feel like I've already achieved something positive today!!

Have a great Sunday, whatever you end up deciding to do.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Venus of course you must post here. We are here for you as you are for us. I'm so glad you spoke with your sister and feel better.

I drank last night. Wine with dinner. Nothing silly but a drink is a drink. Day 1. 😥 not day 15.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Goodnight Citrus, I hope you sleep well.

Santi that’s great that you’re feeling positive! Enjoy your sober Sunday

RAS, what’s important is that you’re still here, and you didn’t disappear after that drink. It’s too easy to have a drink and let it blow out and then get lost for ages, for days, weeks, months, years before waking up again, but you came right back here to keep trying for a sober life. Well done! It really is worth it.

I’m drawing to a close on day 4, Sunday evening. I’m glad I made it through the weekend without a drink, and I’ll wake up tomorrow morning sober.
Goodnight everyone. Or good morning/day/afternoon to those in other time zones (probably most of you I’m guessing). The beauty of SR is that there’s always someone around, no matter what time of day, all of us from all over the world, helping each other to not drink. Beautiful ❤️
Old 11-17-2019, 02:04 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

My life has been one of missed opportunities, endless vacillation and lack of confidence. I made this clear today and the man in the shop said "look this is just an ordinary shop, are you going to buy something or not?"
Good news, due to a backlog they've pencilled in my stabbing for next year. Which is fortunate as I was worried it might clash with other engagements this visit.
Yesterday on the tube there was a massive row between two rival gangs of William Blake fans. Eventually the police were called and they were bound over to accept that Songs of Innocence and Experience was his finest work.
Sorry I can't do this on my phone. I can't like or quote posts. But I wish all the best to others on here.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:10 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

taplow, you're cracking me up.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:28 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mistyscorpio View Post
Venuscat/suz- I’m glad you talked to your sister and you resolved the matter. I’ve spent many a times creating a story in my head instead of not confronting the person that the conflict is with- I’m sorry she’s going through this, though with her son and his new wife.

But, I disagree with you about how you shouldn’t have posted about it- isn’t this site about recovery? And part of that is getting support when you might need it the most, which would be sharing about uncomfortable feelings? Please don’t feel like you shouldn’t have shared.
This is perfect for me. If I don't resolve a situation, I do exactly as you said. I create some fantastic story that turns out to be nowhere near the truth. It usually leads to insecurity and then a desire to drink.

Venus, I am really glad to hear that you were able to talk things out.
Taplow, I have always been a big music fan and I always looked at London as some Mythical birthplace for a lot of great bands. Your description makes me a little nervous. I'm glad that they put your stabbing off for a good bit.
Willow, I totally agree about SR. It is so much easier to express myself to people who are dealing with the same things. I love my friends and family but I couldn't get the advice or guidance that I get from everyone here.
Citrus, I have that exact same fear. Where is the point of no return. I am really scared that if I drink again, I may not come back.
RAL, The horse is ready for you to climb back on. Let's do this.

Thank you to everyone for being here and sharing the way that you do. This a really great class.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good stuff taplow. I was in London for a couple of days last year and enjoyed it. I did find it to be pretty dirty though with a lot of overflowing garbage, we joked that maybe there was a sanitation strike at the time lol. Big music fan here too btw. I'm listening to Lana Del Rey's last album now and really dig it, and this is coming from a big rock/metal guy. She has one song called Bartender, "I'm not drinking wine, but that cherry coke you serve is fine" is part of the lyrics.

I'm cruising into day seven with sober confidence. I'll exercise some at home today and hit the gym after work tomorrow. I need to build on this healthy routine! Stay strong class, WE GOT THIS.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 9. Made it though Friday and Saturday. It was pretty easy since my husband has the flu so no urges to go out on his side. Just stayed close to home.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Venus of course you must post here. We are here for you as you are for us. I'm so glad you spoke with your sister and feel better.

I drank last night. Wine with dinner. Nothing silly but a drink is a drink. Day 1. �� not day 15.
Maybe there is something you would enjoy drinking with dinner, ie cranberry and mineral water or something.....although I drink water with food, when I got sober I had a time when I resented not being able to use my beautiful wine goblets (I know, ridiculous) and the dinner thing in general was an issue. So I bought myself orange juice (the good one) and cranberry juice and mineral water. And that became my new normal.....for a while. And very quickly any thought of wine with dinner disappeared.

Just a thought. s
Onward together darling RAL ❤️

Also, has anyone else noticed (if you use Chrome) that Google's spell check has gone a bit weird?

Love to all of you.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
My life has been one of missed opportunities, endless vacillation and lack of confidence. I made this clear today and the man in the shop said "look this is just an ordinary shop, are you going to buy something or not?"
Good news, due to a backlog they've pencilled in my stabbing for next year. Which is fortunate as I was worried it might clash with other engagements this visit.
Yesterday on the tube there was a massive row between two rival gangs of William Blake fans. Eventually the police were called and they were bound over to accept that Songs of Innocence and Experience was his finest work.
Sorry I can't do this on my phone. I can't like or quote posts. But I wish all the best to others on here.
Did they have to do community service? Perhaps perform Shakespeare in the Commons?

So much love dear taplow. ❤️
Old 11-17-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
taplow, you're cracking me up.
Hello you.....so awesome to see you in this thread. And yes, taplow is extremely witty. xx
Old 11-17-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Wonderful posts!!!!

Sorry your husband is sick Shelly.
Hope he isn't too annoying......

Who said that? No.....not me.
I hope he feels better very soon. ❤️
Old 11-17-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good morning all. My house is already bustling and asking for breakfast. I will have to get to that in a minute. So glad that I am up and happy to be clearheaded not in bed dreading the day.

To be honest AV is already a little bugger this morning. I agreed last night to drive 2.5 hours to have dinner with my dad, step-mom and little brother to celebrate my Dad's bday. My Dad and his family is a huge trigger. I won't drink during dinner but the temptation to drink before or after is already there. But I will get through this one day. 35 days tomorrow, 5 weeks... not gonna screw this up. I will be drinking water, juice or hot tea in the car on the way there and back.

RAL I am so sorry that you drank last night. Please stick close. You can do this.

Breakfast time. Love to all!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Checking in! 29 days strong!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Venus I'm glad you worked everything out with your sister! I totally do the same thing... create a whole narrative in my head when it turns out that's not what's happening at all. I think it just underscores the importance of communication in relationships.

RAL I'm sorry you drank but glad you're right back here and ready to keep going.

Meshelly well done on day 9

Day 15 for me. I'm not going to lie, I am proud of myself for making it to day 15 today, because last night was hard. I went to a family dinner with my boyfriend's cousin and her family, and then also his mother. I think they polished off about 3 1/2 bottles of wine between them all over the course of 3 or 4 hours. It would have been so easy to join them. But my husband's cousin was so polite at the beginning and the way she phrased the drink choices for me made it easy -- "do you want wine, water, or seltzer?" Once I'd chosen seltzer that was it, I knew I wouldn't drink for the rest of the night and she even gave me a wine glass to sip it out of. I got a little tired and cranky by the end of the night -- socializing gets exhausting when you've got to watch everyone else pouring glass after glass of wine -- but I'm still really proud of myself that I didn't drink. I feel like I made it over a hurdle and that will give me strength to make it over future hurdles.

Bf went to run an errand and we're meeting back up to see Bonnie and Clyde in the theater at noon. Everyone have a great Sunday
Old 11-17-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

You guys are kickin' tail.

Meshelly, Good job on making day 9. I hope your hubby gets well soon.
Congrats Citrus- 5 weeks is awesome. Standing at day 13, I can only dream.
Congrats to you Joy, day 29 and going strong. Great job.
SBTS, Outstanding. That had to be pretty difficult. I am still trying to avoid those situations right now. The Holidays are going to be my big test .
JimiC, Way to be rockin' through day seven. (Nice Stones avatar)

I hope that everyone is enjoying the day.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I am just trying to add up how many people were at dinner dear SBTS.....you, your BF, his cousin, her maybe husband, her mum....so that's maybe 5 people drinking 3 and a half bottles of wine over 4 hours....so they had maybe 3 glasses each....

.....the very fact that I am thinking about this at all tells me this is just a big no-no for me. Even now. I don't like going out out for dinner when everyone else is drinking. I think you did incredibly well to get through that.

And I know you will make it through your car rides and dinner tonight dear Citrus....35 days here you come!!!

And you are doing fantastically yourself dear Anotherexcuse! ❤️
As are you dearest Joy. ❤️
Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I almost, unintentionally, had a drink last night, but I didn't!!

We had company over for dinner last night. I was in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner while the others were still visiting in the dinning room. I was grabbing dishes from the island to wash when my eyes landed on an open bottle of wine that one of our guests was drinking. Without even giving it a thought, my hand reached out for that bottle intending to tip it up and take a quick drink of it while nobody was watching. Luckily my brain finally figured out what my hand was up to and quickly reigned it back in. I was shocked!! What was I thinking?? I don't drink!! That was something the old me would have done. After the company left and I was putting the last few things away, I noticed that open bottle was now in my fridge.

I came to SR and read a bit. Before heading up to bed, I went to the fridge, grabbed that bottle and dumped it down the sink. Wine has always been my weakness and I don't need that temptation right now.

Day 24 and still sober. Going to do my homework for my IOP program today and stick close to SR. Love the support here!