Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 8

Old 07-16-2020, 02:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January 2020 PART 8

Last part here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-7-a-20.html (Class of January 2020 PART 7)

D
Old 07-16-2020, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi classmates

I get to be the first to post on our new thread, yay. - Except for Dee, of course

Venus, sorry for not being clearer, Inside meaning shops, supermarkets, bathrooms in restaurants, public transport etc. Masks are mandatory for these areas, I believe. People get turned away if they are not wearing one.
It is hot and sticky here also today. We are in a heat wave, but it is nothing compared to southern US that looks crazy right now.
I got up earlier than normal to try to get a quick jog in and figure out my day. Hopefully, it will be a good one for us all.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb

Old 07-16-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning Class!

Not much new today. Going to install a job, pick up a job and work on a job already on the table.
Got another coming Monday so need to get caught up.

Been here alone all week as my daughter and family are visiting others.
Gonna be nice to have them back hopefully tomorrow.
Makes me want to buy a bigger place with a 2nd house on it.

Oh well at least they will always be within driving distance from now on.
I don't fly so even California is driving distance for me.😁

Good day all!
Old 07-16-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds nice fish.....re the second house. s
I mean, your family actually like each other, so it would be awesome.

NP bacchus, I thought that was what you meant. It is the same here. Mandatory in all indoor public spaces.

The US is just so different from Aus though....obviously, but really.
A good example is the people being fined for not obeying the lockdown rules right now.
No one is getting fined here.

Really funny story about people 'hiding' outside the back of a house in Melbourne having a party....the police came in and they were halted and fined $2600. One of the policemen said: well, that's one birthday party they won't forget. He he.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"It is the fear of erasing the emotional growth I have gained sober. It may not be much but I and others have noticed."

This is me too, fish, 100 percent. I was thinking, a few days ago, of what it would be like for me to relapse. It would quickly be back to the former despair and I'd be scrambling to get out of it, having basically forgotten all I've learned. How is this possible? The reality is that I'm still struggling to be human and keep my head above water. I've made a lot of progress but it's not properly cemented yet. I know this because I still experience a lot of the former discomfort of being in my skin; I'm still very restless much of the time, and it's all I can do to not reach out for 'quick relief' in the form of food, social media, mindless internet browsing, shopping and the worst, drinking. With alcohol being an easy, 'quick fix', it would be hard for me to stop again.

"I know communication in my household has never been better as well." Me three!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

That is a funny, if a tad bit sad, story, Suze.

So much of every day life has changed due to the virus. How much of it will never be the same again, I wonder? Change is not bad, but it does favour a resilient and prepared mind.

I've had a lazy day indoors today. It's cloudy and grey, and I'm wondering whether I could squeeze in a late evening walk...

I hope you're all having a good day too.

Cheers!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterMarsh View Post
"It is the fear of erasing the emotional growth I have gained sober. It may not be much but I and others have noticed."

This is me too, fish, 100 percent. I was thinking, a few days ago, of what it would be like for me to relapse. It would quickly be back to the former despair and I'd be scrambling to get out of it, having basically forgotten all I've learned. How is this possible? The reality is that I'm still struggling to be human and keep my head above water. I've made a lot of progress but it's not properly cemented yet. I know this because I still experience a lot of the former discomfort of being in my skin; I'm still very restless much of the time, and it's all I can do to not reach out for 'quick relief' in the form of food, social media, mindless internet browsing, shopping and the worst, drinking. With alcohol being an easy, 'quick fix', it would be hard for me to stop again.

"I know communication in my household has never been better as well." Me three!
I very much identify with this ButterMarsh, and just wanted to say a quick thanks for the post.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Change is not always fun, but it is necessary for growth.
And challenges make us stronger.

This is how I was raised....it is my religion and background.
And my truth. ❤️
Old 07-16-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee

I think as humans we tend to fear and resist change, but change is the only constant. I thought that was a buddhist saying, but I googled it and it was Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher. I heard it somewhere, and it’s so true. Everything in life changes, and it’s through adapting to change that we develop resilience. Some of those changes are so difficult, but we have to figure out a way through them somehow, and find a new way to live.

Have a beautiful day everyone.

Happy 6 months of sobriety this month
I won’t catch you up, but I’m still with you and won’t be too far behind you all
Old 07-17-2020, 02:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi wonderful Classmates

Venus and Willow, these are such nice sentiments to share.

"Change is not always fun, but it is necessary for growth.
And challenges make us stronger"

"I think as humans we tend to fear and resist change, but change is the only constant. I thought that was a Buddhist saying, but I googled it and it wasHeraclitus, a Greek philosopher. I heard it somewhere, and it’s so true. Everything in life changes, and it’s through adapting to change that we develop resilience. Some of those changes are so difficult, but we have to figure out a way through them somehow, and find a new way to live".

I hadn't heard that saying before. As I am having to soon adapt to some unexpected changes, headed my way, these have been nice words to reflect on this morning. I get the feeling, as the second half of this year, and the next unfolds, many people will find themselves having to adapt, grow and change.

I am doing well. I work up early as i had some work to complete. I feel good about it though and am looking forward to getting stuck in. I skipped my jog yesterday, so maybe I can fit one of those in also.

Thank you again classmates for your posts. Have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb

Old 07-17-2020, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Dlb, I would imagine that you are correct regarding that a lot of people will be in a position of needing to adapt and change.

I've always detested most types of change. Even so, it can be a lot of fun to try a new fishing spot. In doing so, you open yourself up to a greater likelihood of failure, but there is such a feeling of satisfaction that comes from conquering a spot you've never fished.

With the heat and humidity, find myself missing a trip or two each week to the nice air conditioned gym. They reopened weeks ago, and I know some things have been closed again, can't bring myself to go even if it's open with the high number of new cases each day. The monthly membership has been reduced to like $6 and I would like them to remain in business for when it does seem all clear to go back.

BM, I feel the same about relapsing I think, that I would instantly be worse than before. Not sure that I would bother with trying to come back out a second time, so treating this as my one chance.

Was talking to a buddy yesterday about going to the big professional association meeting we look forward to each year. Last year I basically just drank beer and made an idiot of myself and didn't even go to any of the workshops. My buddy said that his cousin (60) recently tested positive for the virus and very nearly died from pneumonia, and there was no earthly way that he was going to go a big meeting with a lot of people indoors for extended periods. Hate to, but I'll probably skip it this year.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Was reading the weekly fishing report from the local bait shop guy and he made an interesting observation. With the pandemic, a lot of people have been spending more time boating and/or fishing. As such, there has been an increased demand for boating and fishing stuff. There have also been interruptions in supply chains. His observation was that the older customers were more likely to be disgruntled with the unavailability of their favorite items while the younger customers were more likely to adapt to the items that were available and roll forward.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Morning everyone

Yes, change. Huge, huge topic. There's external change, which we cannot control and from which we learn acceptance. And internal change, which of course we are can control, but is much easier said than done.

And I can't help but think about how ill equipped alcohol left me in this regard. Rather than learn to accept what I couldn't control, I simply got angry, or sad, or anxious... and had a drink.

Upon further reflection, I think about what internal changes I have made over the years *by choice*, and there haven't been a lot!

But getting there slowly and surely. In fact I had an incident last night that I was very encouraged by. I got upset by something someone said. It was a fairly innocuous moment, although it did cut rather close to the bone. Once upon a time it would have sent me in a right old tail spin. Cue drinking more than usual, or something stronger than the usual.

But I saw it for what it was last night. Worked through it - took me a couple of hours to be honest. The AV had a few things to say, more so than of late. But went to bed feeling, well, actually pretty good about myself. A small step, but a significant one.

So thankful for all that sobriety brings, and for be able to share it here with you all.

Have a great day everyone :-)

Old 07-17-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it's a HUGE step dear abraxas. s
That is massive for me too...being able to deal with something like that without reacting.
Choosing to stop and reflect instead is kind of a massive sign of maturity. I think. ❤️

And with regard to people having to adapt to change.....that is happening big time. Now. Look at how our lives have changed?
I noticed that while I did not cope well for the first few months, I am doing way better now in month 4. It is becoming the new normal.
I don't mean that I could do this forever, but I do think we may be at home for a very long time in America. So I am glad I am adapting.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

City I went to 2 tackle shops today and the rod and reel displays were basically bare at both. Old Bay, a favorite boil/steam seafood seasoning here, is getting hard to find.

Just one more reason to love the country life. I have not changed a thing since all this mayhem started. Work is steady rolling in with all the city folks working from home at their beach houses. I guess they are looking at their boats more now and getting tired of looking at what needs to be done and are now calling to get it done. I am sure they have more disposable income also as they are not commuting and eating lunch out daily.

Ordered new trailer for the boat today. Been looking for a couple years as my 1995 model is starting to worry me on long trips. Not really an impulse buy I guess but I have no idea how I'm gonna pay for it when it comes in. LOL
Neighbor owns the marina down the street and said just pay me when it comes in so I said order it. Got a month and a half to figure this one out!
As they say " I owe, I owe, so off to work I go!" LOL

Hot as hades today and only gonna get worse the next few days.

Taking the wife crabbing in the AM for the 1st time this year. Hopefully get a few dozen before we melt.

Good day all!
Old 07-17-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone
It’s a beautiful cool crisp sunny day here, top of 22C later (it’s currently 8am).

It’s funny about the recent changes. A lot of people have been struggling with staying home and are glad things are opening up here. I’m the opposite, I’ve relished being able to largely stay home as I prefer being home. And I’m anxious about having to get back to “normal “, as I’d much prefer to stay home. But I realise that’s not always healthy, to become a recluse. I’m an introvert and prefer solitude and quiet. Apart from family, I’m actually not particularly sociable lol, except in small groups or one-on-one for short times. Having said that, I have organised a coffee date with 2 girlfriends for a week’s time, so that’s probably a good thing to do. Socially distanced of course.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Hi guys! Haven't been here for a while, it's moving time and I've been busy packing and organizing. Have had the occasional drink so I haven't stayed sober, but no major drinking. Turns out that I'm quite vain, I'm getting married in three months and have started a low carb diet, and seeing that alcohol and ketosis don't mix, I'm quite happy to stay away from drinking. Anything to get into that wedding dress.
Got some great news yesterday, I'm going to be a student next year. Am SO looking forward to doing something else!

How is everyone?
Old 07-18-2020, 02:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Willow, I could have written all of that except change 22 to 42 heat index. And of course no date with two girl friends.

Fish, I get old bay sometimes. The original seafood seasoning. If you run out you could order a can of this to try, though I don't know how it would be as a crab boil.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lixie, really hoping that things proceed smoothly. I think that I would be anxious but excited for the future.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A couple of buddies dropped by yesterday afternoon after work. Being Friday afternoon they had a cooler of beer and a bucket of empties. One of them didn't know I had quit and offered me one, so we had the talk about my quitting and I felt like I was ruining their Friday afternoon drinking binge that only seven months ago I would have already been on my own when they got here. That same guy lost his dad (not much older than me) to issues related to heavy drinking just last year. Can't help but think about what a strange behavior drinking is.

Fish, hope your new trailer is perfect with all the lights functioning and all. On mine the right taillight seems to work intermittently right now.