Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
Reload this Page >

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread

Notices

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope you get some work soon kk

I have cheated and linked the Wikipedia entry for Spiral. In short it's a French (set in Paris) cop show but extremely high quality. It would probably be best to dig them out when you return to the States as there are 7 seasons/series. You are in for a treat. There is a fair bit of French slang so I still need the subtitles to follow it sometimes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_(TV_series)
Old 10-29-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey sao, thanks for the link!

​​​​​Return to the States as in the United? If that's what you meant, then I'll say that I live in N Europe. In the tiny country of Estonia.

I do hope for work soon. Also that the book on contracts helps me get into a better swing of things. It should give that broad spectrum overview of different types that I have either forgotten or never really got into in the first place. That's booze for you right there, y'know. Go through school without actually learning half (if not more of) the stuff you should know. The book should help instill certain terminology as well.

I like when there are more episodes available for a show. You can get the story better that way.

Thanks for reaching out
Old 10-30-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh, I don't know why I thought you were American, maybe I just assumed. Estonia looks like a great country, sadly I have not had a chance to visit. An EU country, I'm jealous.

There tulemast Londonisse kk!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks sao (just to say that it's 'Tere' , means hello in Estonian)

You know, Americans on the walking tour in Florence also thought I was American. For whatever reason - think it was mostly the way I spoke English.

Today has been another slow day. I've been catching up on the Walking Dead. I'm saving Spiral for when I'm back (if I am able to watch it somehow). Since I sneezed a couple of times late last night, I drank some tea and took vitamins. I don't need another spell of illness for my travels.

Helped my aunt with some computer stuff today, so that was something I did. Bought tickets for Stonehenge (yay!). And tried to specify to the law books publisher, right now actually, via email that I'd like to receive the package by delivery into one of those postal package machines we have here instead of the courier given that I'm not here when they're bringing it.

Other than that. Well, my brain is already putting together the next manuscript, roughly figuring out what pieces go where. I'll maybe sketch it out in the UK.

Aside from still not having work, it's also annoying that I seem to be in 'wait mode' again. It's that feeling and sensation of mine where instead of doing other useful things, I'm .... just waiting on 'something' - taking time off for a couple of days isn't that, it's what comes after when you find yourself at a standstill of sorts. At the moment, it's for a) an email from the professor stating that she has read the final draft of my paper or b) a final decision/reply from the person I and the prof wrote a proposal for a book chapter for, decisions were supposed to be in by Nov 1st. The 'by' there is what's causing this to also be in the list of things to wait for.

Tomorrow I'll do something productive whilst 'waiting'. I'll translate one page from the book, unless (highly unlikely) I'm somehow so busy all of a sudden that such a thing wouldn't be possible. And I'll also start figuring out what I will take with me to the UK.

End of Day 170. I did not drink today.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

LOL !I did know it was tere and not there - my predictive text changed what I typed and nearly did so again.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

I have been to Stonehenge on a school trip but it was so long ago that I cannot really remember. Also, as school kids I don't think you really appreciate what you see like you might as an adult.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I hear ya on the school kids and being present for what you see. That also very much applies to 18+ drunks, because it's precisely the reason I, personally, am visiting the Tower lol. There will be some new things, i.e. Stonehenge, as well as the correction of past errors in the coming week. This includes being a decent human being at my friends' place. Last time I was there 2 years ago, I wasn't much better than a rabid dog. Who also drinks a lot. Still makes me cringe. Which is why I need to re-write those experiences with solid wholsesome ones.

Didn't translate anything today, work nor book. I was waiting ('surprise'!) on the law book I ordered and it was quite an ordeal - first the publisher emailed me that they had already gave the book to the courier. Then I realised that I last used that service way back in uni and my phone number has changed. So the courier had my package and a wrong phone number lol. I got the package code from the publisher, had to contact the delivery service and let them know my correct number (and hope they will promptly forward it to the courier), because the code/package already showed that there had been an attempt to deliver, but phone number 'incorrect/missing'. Fortunately they did forward the correct info and I got my book in time.

The professor also contacted me. She didn't have many improvements to suggest regarding the manuscript but I tried to incorporate the few there were. After that there was some serious messing around with the uploads to the journal's author centre (e.g. they ask you to upload your files, but it won't recognise them and you have to 'brute force' close the browser multiple times, because only that updates the status). Incredibly confusing and fairly annoying. Nevertheless - it's my third work submitted in the past 3 months. Most importantly, I completed what I set out to complete prior to my celebrations

Sao, you should check out the new season of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan. I think it's going to be good (like the first).

Tomorrow I need to pack and get the final goods from the store for bringing along, print boarding passes and venue tickets etc. After that, a good night's sleep and off I go on another journey

Might even get (good or not so good) news on the proposal for a book chapter tomorrow, if the editor keeps to her set deadlines.

Hope everyone's having good sober Thursday.

End of Day 171. I did not drink today.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I will take a look kk. I remember a poor Jack Ryan film starring Harrison Ford many years ago that has put me off Tom Clancy - time to give him a second chance, we all deserve one of those.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

There was also a later movie with Chris Pine. It seemed alright at the time, but I think the series beats the movie.

So, today I didn't feel good at all. Headachey, tired and stiff. Wanted to sleep, but even that wasn't too comfortable. It's a bit better now.

Got everything I needed from the store though. There's loads of black rye bread in my carry-on now. Also managed to call the airline and apply a voucher I earned for 'heavy carry-on luggage' which adds 4kgs. To accommdate all the food that I'm bringing along, so that got done and with that some of the stress was reduced - earlier I tried to handle it via email, but that didn't get me too far. Other than that, printed all the passes and tickets etc and packed the bag.

Now I'm ready to start watching a movie called The King - it was supposed to be very good. Of course, it would also get me in rhythm with all things England.

In other news - my birthday is starting to look even cooler. We have now added a short(er) visit to the Museum of Natural History before finding a place to view some fireworks somewhere. I know a lot of the celebrations will already be tomorrow, but there should be something on the day of as well. We also planned a lunch in London in addition to the dinner. The 5th has all the makings of being one of my best birthdays to date. And I will remember ALL OF IT because I'm sober.

That's all for now. Tomorrow is travel day and I'll check in again in the evening.

End of Day 172. I did not drink today.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope the travel day is a good one kk1k

D
Old 11-02-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Really short post. The flight went okay and we already had great conversations with my friend. But now it's bedtime.

End of Day 173. I did not drink today.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

sleep well kk1k

D
Old 11-03-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Have a good journey kk.

I watched the two most recent episodes of Apiral last night which reinforces my recommendation. It is really high quality drama.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Got to see the Stonehenge today. It was mystical indeed. To know how old it is, I mean crazy. The weather was cloudy with some rain, but occasionally you could glimpse the blue sky as well.

Another active day, so I am too tired to do a longer post

Thanks for all the good wishes guys

End of Day 174. I did not drink today.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you has a good time kk.

You might not be old enough to remember the film This is Spinal Tap (still my favourite comedy film) I cannot see the word Stonehenge without thinking about this scene:-

https://youtu.be/Pyh1Va_mYWI
Old 11-04-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I haven't seen the film, Sao (I guess even if I were old enough, I might not know it because of the 'iron curtain' issue at those times)

The day was full of frustration and trying again (i.e. a normal day of learning something new!), as I was to figure out how a person might 'scrape' certain information from the interwebs and came up short time and again. I think one of my intellectual goals moving forward should be to familiarise myself with programming and data science to an extent not limited by print("Hello World!"). There is so much opportunity there for data and interesting things to do with said data. Must really think about it and come up with a plan.

My friend and I spent the later evening planning the day out for tomorrow. Made a dinner booking using groupon (two-course dinner for 2 for just 20 pounds!). And we're going to start the day with street food on Leather Lane, then the Tower, then museum of natural history and then dinner. It will be a day full of things to do and sights to take in.

Also almost got some work today - there was an offer but it fell through. But the work guy will have his prelim phd meeting tomorrow and said he'll start more actively looking for work after. So it gels perfectly with my being able to celebrate my birthday without too much worry of 'if I'll be able to accept work'. Matter of fact, I would have made today's translation work somehow, had it come through in the end, but I'm not too sad that it didn't. Plus, I'm hopeful about the promise of work really soon now. Just need to get back into the thick of things.

I wasn't nostalgic today, but now that I retired to my room, I guess I'm 'feeling it' a bit. But I'm too tired to create some nostalgia loop in my brain - I definitely need the sleep to be rested for tomorrow's activities

End of Day 175. I did not drink today.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome to the U.K. and especially my home
town of London (although I don’t live there now). Love the Tower of London.

Within the walls is a chapel (St Peter Ad Vincula - St Peter in Chains) and every year for around the past 150 years on 19th May (anniversary of her death) roses have been placed
in the area that Anne Boleyn is believed to have been buried. Obviously they know which florist delivers it but nobody knows who is behind the bequest.

I grew up haunting the Natural History Museum. It may not be the ‘smartest’ of places but even the building itself is historic.

Oh, I’m feeling nostalgic!! Have a great time the rest of your trip xx
Old 11-05-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks Start I will try to see and hear as much as I can!
Old 11-05-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Today, my 30th birthday, was a great day! I never once had a chance to become nostalgic, so accomplished that task for sure.

In the morning I repacked some shirts for a return. Unfortunately they were too big. But that's fine. I did obtain a pair of jeans that fit perfectly and I'm really happy about that. Since my friend is trying her hand in what's called 'upcycling' furniture, I helped her heap a cupboard into the house. Dropped of the packages and headed for London.

Our first stop was Leather Lane Street Market - it's a sight all its own. In recent history, I have not been so tempted to eat everything on offer from the many vendors than I was today at lunch. We had a really light breakfast, so my friend and I were both good and hungry. I got one greek wrap with pork souvlaki and slightly earlier, I had also eaten a spicy lamb wrap from another vendor. Haha, well I was super hungry at that point, so all was well after. My friend got some glazed pulled pork and rice. Of course she gave me a taste and, hand on heart, if I had unlimited stomach capacity and money, I would have tried to eat myself through that street market.

Next we tried getting to the Tower. Hit a couple of bumps - our underground service was cancelled, had some trouble finding the right bus etc. But we made it with 90 minutes of opening time left. I can now say that I have been to the Tower of London AND I REMEMBER IT. That nagging drunken mistake (i.e. the 'blackout of all my blackouts') from 12 years ago got replaced with a brilliant memory. We even saw like a little play they put on about the 'Wicked Women' of the Tower. Interesting and fun! And the crown jewels ..who could forget those.

We didn't have time for the museum, but that's totally fine. It was always optional and you can't account for various types of delays or mishaps.

The final stop was our steak dinner at an Argentinean place. Prior to today, I have tried steak maybe 2-3 times. All have been poor experiences: bland, 'tastes like fried liver', poorly cooked etc. Today? Absolutely amazing medium ribeye, great chips, salad and peppercorn sauce to top it.

Overall, I had an amazing day and I'm very grateful to my friend for it. I am blessed to have her (and her husband) in my life. After everything I've pulled in my drinking career, including whilst at their last place ... I'm just humbled and grateful.

End of Day 176. I did not drink today.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

wow happy birthday kk1k

D
Old 11-05-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday - thrilled you had a good one XX