Notices

Class of October 2019 Part 2

Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi all. Having a great time. My son came home for fall break yesterday. As I mentioned before he is a trigger for me, not his fault. It's my own twisted up heart and soul clinging to his childhood. He is 18 and a freshman in college. I'm so proud of him. He was exhausted when he came home and just slept on the couch. I made him a fave dinner and he ate so much. He brought his laundry home and it brought a smile that I'm still needed. We went to the fair today, and unfortunately had a major fight right when we parked because I was just asking about a new friend. And when I asked what was the friends stance on drugs and alcohol he lashed at me big time. So I lashed back. Tears and then wanted to leave. But we said sorry and went to the fair. It was not the same though. Had awesome junk food came home, he slept some more and is now out with friends at the fair again. lol good for him. He will spend time at his dad's tomorrow. And that rattles my nerves as they are totally cool with letting anyone drink there. They don't care at all! That is the biggest trigger of all...
Old 10-17-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Winding down on day 10. I also finished autophagy 72 hours...and probably why I haven't written much in here. 3 days of water and nothing else (I just wanted to clean out any damaged cells).

I really don't have much to say, just feeling tired from the fasting. And I have to drive to the airport to pick up my boss...ugh. 2hr round trip and be back around 12:30am. Zzzzzzzz

Gotta write down everyone's name...so many people here!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I gotta write names down too Lulu...my memory is shot, and this tablet isn't the greatest..lol

19 days sober today, I didn't really do much. I went shopping for clothes for my 12 yr old son. It kinda made me sad, he's not so much a little kid anymore, even if he acts like one alot of the time. He still gives big hugs and kisses, even if his friends are around. I feel like I have been given a 2nd chance...

I don't want his biggest memory of me to be that I was a drunk...maybe I still have time...
Old 10-17-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reckon that you have lots of time yet to make abiding memories Patterson

D
Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Day 4....i think. Just checking in. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done Zura

D
Old 10-17-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I haven't checked in in a while but wanted to let everyone know all is well here! I am 18 days sober, spent this last weekend camping for three days, usually I would hammer out a case of IPA's and take a few shots here and there but instead stuck to a few NA beers. Not sure if non alcoholic beers are frowned upon around here but they have helped me in my sobriety, especially in a social setting where I'm the weirdo who is not drinking. I can drink two NA beers to curb any craving which is nice, versus the 6 to 12 units of alcohol I would usually consume. I hope all are well, I think of you guys often even though I haven't had time to check in. I plan to go back and catch up on the thread for but now just wanted to pop in and say hi.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:47 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

NA beer always led me back to the real thing but I know other people feel differently.

Personally I knew I had to get over feeling like the weirdo for not drinking, or find a new social circle.

I actually did both and that's worked out great for me.

Hope your way continues to work for you too looking4awagon

D
Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joy57 View Post
VenusCat Yes yes yes.... I'll have to figure out again how to post pics of my decor~
I just took this pic for you love.
You can't see the scary pumpkin in the window tho. s

Goodnight to Dee and off to read your posts!

Old 10-18-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joy57 View Post
Hi all. Having a great time. My son came home for fall break yesterday. As I mentioned before he is a trigger for me, not his fault. It's my own twisted up heart and soul clinging to his childhood. He is 18 and a freshman in college. I'm so proud of him. He was exhausted when he came home and just slept on the couch. I made him a fave dinner and he ate so much. He brought his laundry home and it brought a smile that I'm still needed. We went to the fair today, and unfortunately had a major fight right when we parked because I was just asking about a new friend. And when I asked what was the friends stance on drugs and alcohol he lashed at me big time. So I lashed back. Tears and then wanted to leave. But we said sorry and went to the fair. It was not the same though. Had awesome junk food came home, he slept some more and is now out with friends at the fair again. lol good for him. He will spend time at his dad's tomorrow. And that rattles my nerves as they are totally cool with letting anyone drink there. They don't care at all! That is the biggest trigger of all...
(((Joy))) s xx

Fighting is awful, and I know that made you feel bad....but I think as a mum you have every right to ask those questions. A a mum and as someone in recovery. I know for me if I try not to raise my voice, it is easier to get through those difficult talks. It's harder for someone to lose it if we stay calm. Mostly.

But yes, this situation is a huge trigger for you, as you have said.
So the best way to attack that is head on.....talking about it. And letting us help you through these next few days.

Sending love. ❤️
Old 10-18-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuluBread View Post
Winding down on day 10. I also finished autophagy 72 hours...and probably why I haven't written much in here. 3 days of water and nothing else (I just wanted to clean out any damaged cells).

I really don't have much to say, just feeling tired from the fasting. And I have to drive to the airport to pick up my boss...ugh. 2hr round trip and be back around 12:30am. Zzzzzzzz

Gotta write down everyone's name...so many people here!
Hope you are eating now love. It's good to clean out our bodies, but you really need nutrition right now as well. (Probably not another mum tho ). s ❤️
Old 10-18-2019, 04:50 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
I gotta write names down too Lulu...my memory is shot, and this tablet isn't the greatest..lol

19 days sober today, I didn't really do much. I went shopping for clothes for my 12 yr old son. It kinda made me sad, he's not so much a little kid anymore, even if he acts like one alot of the time. He still gives big hugs and kisses, even if his friends are around. I feel like I have been given a 2nd chance...

I don't want his biggest memory of me to be that I was a drunk...maybe I still have time...
Of course you have time love. s
You are doing this and he is 12....really just wonderful.....all of his teenage years and onwards will be filled with awesome family memories. That's huge.

And that is the best avatar ever!!!!! ❤️
Old 10-18-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

This pic is without the flash.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hello Octsobers....

Nice to hear from a larger crowd this a.m.

Glad everyone is doing well.

24 D.O.S. today

A sober Friday and weekend to all!
Old 10-18-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Good day everyone, and off to another busy start. We're leaving town for the weekend and I'm trying to wrap things up--half of which should have been done a month or two ago. Definite procrastinator here.

LuluBread I had to look up autophagy fasting. 72 hours sounds hard! I did run across a good article about it for anyone interested. It's in The Cut (an offshoot of New York magazine which is a good source). Just google--autophagy Zimmerman cut--and you'll find it.

I tried to fast for a day once. By evening I was tired and feeling cold. Although sadly I'm sure I fasted three days on a number of occasions. I just substituted alcohol for water. I seem to recall that alcohol actually has more calories than even fat, plus your body can't store it as fat the way it can convert excess carbs and protein, so you get drunk trying to metabolize it. Ugh.

looking4 I've never tried NA beer. I guess the only way I'd be interested is if they could make one that tastes like a truly top-notch IPA, which is the only taste of alcohol I will ever truly miss. Most everything else was, in the end, just an excuse to get drunk. Vodka, for instance. Couldn't care less if it was top shelf or bottom.

Love the pics, venuscat. Do you get a lot of kids on Halloween? If you do, I'm sure word spreads fast: "Don't skip the house with purple lights. Best treats EVER!"

Well, I better get moving. Stay cool as cucumbers, and check-in with some news. I enjoy reading everyone's posts!

Pel
Old 10-18-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hopefully we will get some this year.....it is very quiet here and last year it was pouring. I must get the treats....I forgot. s

Getting this one....don't want to mention the brand and advertise them.
Doubt I can do the stool and bats though, but maybe....

Old 10-18-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Day 4 and all is well.

I went to fill out the paperwork for the IOP yesterday and had my first meeting with my counsellor. She seems understanding and I think we'll work well together. The group sessions start on the 28th.

living4 My husband has stayed sober drinking AF beer. He likes the taste and feels like he fits in.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Mr

Howdy all.

Never much bothered with NA beer. Don't think it would be a good idea for me.

That said there is a guy in one of the groups I go to sober 10 years and has a few NA beers every week.

Hope you are all doing well and fighting the good fight. I think it is very important to keep going keep trying and keeping bouncing back.
Not too many get it on the first go. Never forget the word progressive. It's as true for the addiction as it is for the recovery.

Have a great weekend classmates
Old 10-18-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I reckon that you have lots of time yet to make abiding memories Patterson

D
Thank you Dee, I want that more than anything in this world...
Old 10-18-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Of course you have time love. s
You are doing this and he is 12....really just wonderful.....all of his teenage years and onwards will be filled with awesome family memories. That's huge.

And that is the best avatar ever!!!!! ❤️
Thanx venuscat!!
I'm not so scared anymore...my biggest fear/shame, was not being there for my kids, not the way they needed me to be. And for quite a while that shame certainly fueled a big part of my drinking. No more...

It's pouring here all weekend...so the pumpkin patch is out, but we're going to the movies, my 12 yr old, and my 15 year old daughter... ☺��☔☁��

And I love your Halloween decorations!!! They look awesome!!!