Notices

One Year & Over Part 70

Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

So glad someone saw my joke....and he he nope.....cannot imagine you wasting a single second of your life on a soap.

Now I need to look up "Anglo Saxon".....fascinating the different subjects available to study around Aus....for example we had zero Greek Mythology in Melbourne. Just why?

xx
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Ha ha Venus.

Thanks guys for all your wise words and support. My darling husband took all 4 wake ups last night unbeknownst to me so that I could sleep, then he commuted 3 hour and worked a full day. I am very lucky.

I’m in a much better place today, and the craving is now a faint memory. Thank you!!!!

Enjoy Spain & German class!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Administrator

Now I need to look up "Anglo Saxon".....fascinating the different subjects available to study around Aus....for example we had zero Greek Mythology in Melbourne. Just why?
Things have changed in the last 20 years. Courses need to be cost effective and students want subjects that directly relate to employment.

I enjoyed my little Anglo Saxon class tho

D
Old 09-18-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

A workshop day today.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I speak 3 languages

English, Australian and music.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I think a liberal arts education is a wonderful thing. Some of my favorite college courses had little to no practical value. I minored in history. I was just a few credits shy of a double major! I'm still fascinated by history and try to learn new things every day.

Am happily busy these days, with my work, the online meetings and the Tao podcast. If anybody wants a link to the podcast, just drop me a PM.

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 09-19-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Ha ha Venus.

Thanks guys for all your wise words and support. My darling husband took all 4 wake ups last night unbeknownst to me so that I could sleep, then he commuted 3 hour and worked a full day. I am very lucky.

I’m in a much better place today, and the craving is now a faint memory. Thank you!!!!

Enjoy Spain & German class!
What a wonderful husband.
So happy for you darling Serene.
Hey girl.....it's our 2-year wedding anniversary......the 23rd for you and 24th for me....I think..... s
Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Things have changed in the last 20 years. Courses need to be cost effective and students want subjects that directly relate to employment.

I enjoyed my little Anglo Saxon class tho

D
I was telling Nick about this last night....how the subjects taught in Aus are what you said, predominantly. We get a chance to learn some cool stuff when we go to uni and take electives, but here, in the US, college focuses heavily on all subjects....a more all-around education, where subjects like Anglo Saxon History are still taught. I like that.

And PJ love....your language speaks to all of our hearts. s

Old 09-19-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Good memory V! An early congrats to you on your anniversary too! (Hugs). I forgot my first anniversary (oops) so promised myself to do something special this year. We are going out for our first evening meal while grandma watches baby. It will be a real treat.

PJ - I like those languages too

FBL- I have to hold myself back from asking for a link to your Tao podcast. It sounds quite interesting and I’m still playing catch up with too few hours in the day. Enjoy your projects!

As as far as school goes - I started teaching adjunct last year in the engineering department. The engineering students in the US don’t get to take liberal arts classes, so I try to balance the lessons of a liberal arts education with vocation in each class as my personal style of presenting the content for the exact reasons that you mentioned. The engineering students are quite hungry for it, and it makes sense to them why the more interesting questions aren’t about getting the problem sets right, but rather which products and solutions have the right to exist in the 21sr century (and other open ended questions).

Deterministic methods of problem solving are great, and they have their limits. (Shock!) and if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a Nail

Old 09-19-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I can see you and my husband having a very deep intellectual conversation given the opportunity....

I am a little in awe to be honest....you are a Professor and I am a college student.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:39 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi Overs! Catching up again.

Suze,
Reference your comment about no phones in classes - yesterday I was in Office Depot and saw a big sale display of old fashioned calculators. I grinned and hollered over to the sales guy asking if people actually bought them when they have on on their phones? He said phones are not allowed in class. Today I read your post about no phones in class's and grinned again. Yes I'm three days behind.

PJ,
I hope your head of the royal "Peeping Tom" and Philistine slayer comes out well. And we just now are getting some much needed rain. Some areas flooding from the tropical storm's tears and rage. I hope you get some soon too.

Andy!
Sehr gut!

Mags,
You have to admit, we colonials actually do drive on the right side of the road, indisputably!
You folks in Merry Old England have an advantage in that you can drive to Germany or France with the Chunnel in much less time than it takes me to drive to my adjacent state's capitol, Austin, Texas (7hours.) So a holiday with full immersion in French Or German is very doable, along with weekends too!

FBL,
After three years (yes it's been that long) since my cataract and Lasik surgeries I stopped using Restatin (steroid) drops and my vision is acceptable but I still need reading glasses where I didn't before the surgeries. I hope your outcome is better.

Sassy,
Thanks, good to be back posting some but daily isn't as doable until I get home, which is now Colorado! Home IS where the heart is. We both hate the climate here, both weather and political. Colorado is just right in both! Once home there is still the unpacking the rest of my office and computer stuff, a workbench to build, and an outside steel building on a slab for our larger tools. So it'll be awhile. I'm looking forward to the work. I'm just marking time. That unreasonable couple wants out of their contract and come back to buy mine now.

Mags,
The entire cast of Downton Abbey was just on "The View," a daily topical TV show usually anchored by Whoopi Goldberg here, and it starts here tomorrow in theaters. I was tickled to see that Jim (Carson) Carter's real wife is a new character for this movie!

Hope your headache is gone by now.

Toots,
Hi and thanks, we will sell it eventually. I agree with you, Mags, Andy, Sassy et al. I detest "Reality Shows of any type, don't want to watch B list stars dance, nor am eve the tiniest bit interested in any game show save Jeopardy, and that may wane with the bad news about Alex Trebek’s now worse pancreatic Cancer. We both like the singing competition show “The Voice” and America’s got talent, as the closest to reality. I agree and leave my phone in the car when running errands, appointments, and shopping. That’s what voicemail is for. With all the robocalls if I don’t know the caller I let it go to voice mail.

Sassy,
Yes have shown it four times since last and the ones that lowballed may be back.

FBL,
On the recent card acquisitions, to paraphrase Meatloaf: “almost one out of three ain’t bad.”

Wolf!
Good to see ya!

SE,
The losing sleep would have me on edge alone! Keep hanging in there.

Toots,
Enjoy Spain! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff8N2iC4oB8

Yes Andy, it’s called “thorn.”

Mags,
Condolences to your hubby’s family.

Dee,
Ya got it before I got to it. It looked a lot like ye so whenever encountered read Ye as The.

Sassy,
I don’t get cravings for cigarettes or alcohol anymore at all. But yesterday I was shopping and saw a fifth of sparkling Sangria for sale and I bought it and drank the entire fifth – delish. I didn’t think alcohol free wine could taste so good. And it was at Dollar Tree so was a buck. It’s better than grape juice and as good as diet Pepsi Zero!

Star,
Yeah German does have long words! I’m losing my fluency in it from disuse. My Spanish get a bit of practice.

Dee,
I agree, soaps are the worst, except “Soap” the spoof of soaps.

Dee,
I agree that classes and undergrad offerings are becoming sparse. But to me, to our detriment. Philosophy (defined as the search to answer the question –what is the good life?) is gone from all but a few Major universities and students are protective of their GPA and most avoid classes in things they think intellectually elitist and/or challenging. The arts and even phys ed are going away. Worse, the shop classes considered for guys, and Home Ec traditionally for women are all but gone. There are folks who want to learn a trade and good housekeeping if you will of both biological genders, chosen gender, whatever! And that’s a pity.

FBL,
On your liberal arts comment - Amen to that! I had to get a high school GED after joining the Air Force to avoid the draft during Vietnam. So I didn’t go to college until age 30. I was like a kid in a candy shop, changed majors several times because they were fun, so I had 235 university semester hours with a 3.5 GPA before earning my first BS of several. I loved history and Philosophy, Psych and Sociology, and Industrial Engineering applied daily to my Air Force career. English and literature were also a passion. I started school at five in Colombia as they start kindergarten a year earlier than here at the time. So I started grade school in the 50s! (Old fahrt dating self)

SE,
Awww, your hubby is a good one!

In my Industrial engineering classes back in the 80s I did papers on Deming (https://www.process.st/deming-cycle/ ) and how he retracted his original books and theories on implementing quality by only the numbers and data perspective. I taught portions of Military Science 420 and Behavioral Science 330 at the Air Force Academy and gave them more context from a qualitative perspective rather than just the quantitative viewpoint engineers feel more secure with as they always add up. They do need a well-rounded approach to why, not just how.

Hurricane Imelda is flooding Just a few hours drive from here with some areas in South East Texas and SW Louisiana to have gotten 35-40 inches of rain! That, with Tornadoes spinning up to destroy whole neighborhoods it is dangerous here. We are getting some rain but just what we needed, not more.
OK, all caught up!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Got some exciting news yesterday. We will be doing a book based on our Tao podcast. It will be a group project and will focus on how the Tao relates to recovery. I'm grateful to utilize my years of experience in proofing and editing for an outside project.

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 09-20-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great news FBL!

Good hearing your words of wisdom Itchy.

I attended a college financial aid seminar earlier this week and can see why all but essential courses are disappearing. The cost per credit even at my state schools is hovering in the 700-800 dollar mark. A required elective non major is a major financial hit. It's a shame, as I felt I received a great education with my liberal arts degree and it made me a more tolerant and flexible manager in my career. That being said, I am pushing my kids to get a degree that will pay for itself down the line. I have several folks working for me whom have 100K in student debt to pay down. No wonder they still live at home and don't own cars.

Have a good day all!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

I’m a bit absent with my sis visiting.

SG, people bring their own wine to dinner here...
Old 09-20-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Overs

Great news FBL

Itchy, I loved watching Soap, I haven’t seen it for years.

Been with hubby today as he was enquiring about an electric garage door. Ours is on its last legs so he decided an electric roller door would be practical. (I just saw the fun side of it, lol) the lady in the offices was very informative (partners with her husband in the business) and we’re hoping to have it done first week in November. She showed us the roller shutters on the building windows and I loved them.
I’m sure the practical side of me would take over from the fun side of me eventually! What! I haven’t got a practical side of me.

Hope everyone is well on this Friday or Saturday in Oz.

Take care my friends. xxxx
Old 09-20-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Itchy - I heart Demming - so well rounded. Sounds like you class got a real treat of the in depth perspective.

Mags - sound like a lovely addition that you will enjoy for years to come.

FBL - wow! Congrats!

V - the only reason why I’m teaching is bc I dropped out 3 times but kept at it, and finally got my degree after 10 years. I’m only teaching because the profs know me better than the other students - the irony!

I had another 10 second passing thought last night - since I’m in earthquake country I’ll call it a craving ‘aftershock.’

Theoretically speaking -It is still amazing to me that the body still holds onto these old pathways that have been dormant for years that then wake up again.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Oh, and I’m not nervous that I am going to relapse - It’s just not an option given the stakes: I believe that my body can’t handle it and will give out

It helps to have a place to share thoughts to shine a light on them to keep them from growing.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

GOOD STUFF FBL. Well done.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:09 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

SE, I understand what you’re saying. You’re confident in your sobriety but sometimes drinking thoughts jump in from nowhere! If I’ve got that right, I think we’re all the same. Thoughts come and go.

What we do with the thought is what’s important.

I’m actually going to watch a Downton Abbey today at the cinema. Had to cancel last week because of the headache, but it’s looking good for later today.

Have a super Saturday my friends. xxxx