Notices

One Year & Over Part 70

Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I just did that in another thread.

EDIT: Awww, Molly is divine dear toots. Please give her a big squoosh for me. s

Fingers crossed Itchy love!!!! I have a very good feeling about the Kroger guy....don't know why, but it's a strong feeling.

Mags....that is a very poignant paragraph....thank you love. xx
Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Happy anniversary Itchy and good luck with your house!

Have a good day all!
Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Andy,
Thanks. I am sorry we weren’t together, but great to have had our partnership to say that about, and last longer than many.

Mags,
I missed your post but agree somewhat. See, those transporters and the technology gives me the heebie jeebies. They disassemble you, then send a map of you at the atomic level. But they don’t send the same atoms. Those pesky leftovers are destroyed so there are not two of us each time. So despite thinking I made the trip, did I? (cue “Twilight Zone” theme)

Thanks Dee,
I hope it sells quickly too! But I’ve everything well in hand.

Toots,
Thanks and thanks! Yes, I am an inveterate teacher/instructor around friends. My new house has a lot of copper pipes with sweated soldered joints. Since the new solder with little to no lead is different to sweat into joints, if I need to do some bending and sweating it will be at the gym! I’ll hire the guy to sweat my joints who does it daily. Sorry your dad is a lout with family. I can’t figure how folks like that put up with themselves. Your pup is just what your mother needed!

FBL,
Thanks, me too. I hope the new treatment does the trick, since the drops aren’t working. I know the feeling.

Suze,
The Kroger guy is my age, just got divorced and his wife got the $1.5 mil house. He wants space. I’ve got a custom house at a crappy house price with five acres! If any one wants to see my house and two buildings, PM me for the address. You Google the address and then open Zillow. There’s pics there inside and out. Since you seem to imply you believe you have a gifted sight, if he does buy it, I’ll email my nephew to send you a coupon for one of his gourmet pizzas. Just don’t use the name here. Dead giveaway of mine.

Star,
Thanks and thanks!

Today is back to waiting for an offer. I am loving my new Forester. I was concerned, as at new with two or three miles on it the computer gave miles per gallon at 21!!! But it goes up daily and now the computer says I’m averaging 24.3 mpg, with no change in driving. It goes up as the valves finish seating etc. That mpg is mostly in town, so I’ll know the highway only mpg when I drive it to Colorado. And I am a lead foot. I need cruise control in town because otherwise I'll find myself doing 70 in a 55 zone unintentionally because I'm focused on other things. The new car makes it worse! So yesterday I slowed down to let a cop with all his lights flashing pass me in the fast lane. I was puzzled and then it hit me, he's stopping me

I had my military ID out on the console in a crack it fits in so I can hand it to the AFB gate guard when I entered to go to the commissary (tax-free groceries) The Deputy Sheriff started with he had me going 65 in a 55 Zone. I said you're right sorry. So he asked for my license/registration/proof of insurance. I had to really twist around because he had his hand on his gun and was at the back edge of my window. As I leaned over to open the glove box I noticed a second deputy standing at the rear of the passenger window in the ready position, hand on his gun. No I was not afraid, just realizing how much things have changed with all the white shooters in the last few years, and admiring their perfect approach and cover had I been a bad guy. (remember I taught weapons to cops and became one at the end of my military career) I was about to really be impressed. The one with my paperwork noticed and recognized my retiree military ID and out of the blue asked what I did in the Air Force and I told him I was both Combat Arms and a Security Force member. Security Force is what they changed our name to in my last year. Before that we were called Security Police. And I realized that made likely to be carrying in the car which is legal. For some reason I said oh BTW, I don't carry, no gun in the car. His demeanor changed and he said Mr. (insert last name here), I'd just like to ask you to slow down. Have a nice day! See they'd already checked my name for any traffic or criminal breaches on their in car computer, and of course found none. Nor any tickets. I usually drive five over and use cruise control and this time forgot because I was telling my realtor how it went hands free in the car. But it really was professional courtesy. That why I said: You're right, sorry," up front.

Where is the Molly pic??

Have a great y'all!
Old 09-12-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

tense times, Itch.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, I guess I should start posting here. Sept 1 was my blue chip day. First year sober after 44 years under the influence.

So, Hi!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Well yes dear trach.....that would be awesome. s xx
Old 09-12-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Trach

D
Old 09-12-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Trach, welcome to the Overs
Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Re-Member

They are that PJ, tense times here in the US. Look up the lyrics to "Monster" by Steppenwolf written by John Kay, an immigrant to Canada from behind the iron curtain.

Welcome Trach!
Old 09-12-2019, 08:38 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Welcome Trach
Old 09-12-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Mr. Mags has heard a new word and it makes him laugh whenever he says it, (BOOMSHAKALAKA) I swear he’s going back to childhood, since all the responsibility of work has passed. Or maybe he’s just enjoying retirement.

I bought a couple of plastic boxes with handles to store items in the attic but when they arrived they were bigger than anticipated(I got mixed up with the measurements)! I wish they’d never moved to metric, good old feet and inches are enough for me, though I understand metric is easier to use...but not for this old gal!

Have a fantastic Friday my friends xxxx
Old 09-12-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Mags I have to use a converter to move between feet & inches and centimetres & metres!

Great to see you here Trachy, and so happy for you you made your chip. X
Old 09-12-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Hi Trach, welcome to the Overs.

The metric system has been around since 1862. The problem is that we have never had a government with the spine to remove the imperial system from daily use. Chris was raised by her Swiss Mom who only knows the metric system, we were continually amazed by the number of medical professionals who could only deal with imperial weight and measure.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome, Trach!

Looking forward to my eye appointment later this morning. Am beyond ready to move on from all of this!

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:41 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

When I was in elementary school in the 1970's we were started upon the metric system. I had a teacher tell me that the US would be totally metric by the mid 1980's. Instead, we slavishly cling to our antiquated system of measurement also. It makes for unnecessary problems in a global economy.

Welcome Trach to the Overs! This thread is full of great folks, with most of us living life for the first time sober in many decades. I feel many of us tend to view the world with child like amazement, seeing so many things clearly for the first time in our lives. I always take comfort reading the life lessons learned from so many here with long stretches of sobriety. Though we all have ups and downs, the positivity in this thread always makes me smile!
Old 09-13-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

We were taught and use metric officially in Canada. However the prevalence of the other system means we are fluent in both! I can usually estimate the conversions pretty easily! Yay Canada.

Hi everyone, school has started, I'm in four classes this term. Taking writing for graphic forms, creative non fiction and a poetry workshop which is tres exciting! Oh and also an art class which is beyond fun, I can't even believe it. I feel like I'm on vacation when I'm in these classes. It's so interesting to be the "older" student, 15, 20 years older than all the others, and to see many of them on their phones, not paying attention at all. I am so keen to learn now, it is truly amazing and I feel so lucky to be able to do this now.
And being done film work for now feels incredible.
Hope you all are well, just popping in to say hi!

Oh FBL, good luck with your appointment! It's been a long time that this has been happening to you, I remember when it all started! What a journey for you. Glad it's over!!!!
IP
Old 09-13-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mags, love this and I really need to practice it:

I cannot change the past, but I can change my way of perceiving the past, and I do not have to perpetuate it as the reality of the present and the future.
- Sister Dang Nghiem

It’s the same as the short version of the serenity prayer, but clearer in the “how.”
I didn’t realize “Boom Shaka Laka” grew from background vocal scatting in the 60s like in Sly and the family’s “I want To Take You Higher,” to a standalone slang term. https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...om%20shakalaka
You folks in the UK are confusing to me because you do some metric and some imperial. You use gallons but they are more than US Gallons: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-70-a-3.html (One Year & Over Part 70) and then do Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, and then miles per hour but drive on the wrong side of the road, and then agree on inches and yards. I grew up also being told metric was coming but it hasn’t here. However I had to do all my measurements in metric as a Medical Lab Technologist in the USAF for three years. Doing equations in metric when I’d not done algebra for twelve years before that med lab tech school was a bear! Living in Germany for seven years got me good on kilometers and liquids since I drank lots of beer there.

Toots,
I use the online search converters too. For those that don’t know you can just put this for example in the search bars: 30 ounce = ml and the answer is the first result 887.205887ml. You don’t have to click on convertor and enter it there.

Andy,
Get on your soapbox any time! That’s what we’re here for, and we don’t try to knock you off of it. The docs worldwide can’t get around mg. for meds and mls/ccs for syringes and mls/liters for IVs etc.

Star,
Well said about early sobriety and the positivity here! I experienced the same thing in school. Like Paul Revere my teachers were shouting “The Metrics are coming, the metrics are coming!” But unlike the British, the metrics never came.

FBL,
I hope your appointment went well!

IP,
Good to hear from you. Yep, I know the feeling. I went back to school, and college for the first time at age 30, and didn’t stop at one degree. I loved classes and teaching them equally. Hang in there!

Well my realtor just texted and she is bringing her own clients for a showing Sunday. My buddy with the boars is cooking tonight and I’m bringing the T-Bones. My grill is at home in Colorado and steak gets tough pan fried. Our tenderizer mallet is there too. It's good to have friends! This group are all non drinkers but I'm the only recovered alcoholic. My FIL used to raise beef from calf to table and we miss that antibiotic and hormone free meat. Busy times here at last! He said we would have another organic pig roast at his place soon. Yum!
Old 09-13-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InParticular View Post
We were taught and use metric officially in Canada. However the prevalence of the other system means we are fluent in both! I can usually estimate the conversions pretty easily! Yay Canada.

Hi everyone, school has started, I'm in four classes this term. Taking writing for graphic forms, creative non fiction and a poetry workshop which is tres exciting! Oh and also an art class which is beyond fun, I can't even believe it. I feel like I'm on vacation when I'm in these classes. It's so interesting to be the "older" student, 15, 20 years older than all the others, and to see many of them on their phones, not paying attention at all. I am so keen to learn now, it is truly amazing and I feel so lucky to be able to do this now.
And being done film work for now feels incredible.
Hope you all are well, just popping in to say hi!

Oh FBL, good luck with your appointment! It's been a long time that this has been happening to you, I remember when it all started! What a journey for you. Glad it's over!!!!
IP
Hey lovely one.

College student here as well.....and I am older than you, so ha! It is funny isn't it....an absolute trip. But my teacher is all no-no on phones or computers in class.....how quaint, how 1970s of her. Kidding....I love it....3 hours of no phone is kind of awesome.

Glad you are so happy honey. s
Old 09-13-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

No phones, computers allowed (for obvious reasons for life drawing), no session notes, no power points- just an easel, art materials and a brain. The brain is the bit causing interesting times.
Started doing a practice holiday drawing in charcoal (bloo.y messy). My avatar is David, as in him and Goliath. In Caravaggio's painting he is holding up Goliath's head, which I did not draw in as it was meant to be simple and looking at tonal bits. So now I am doing the head.

Beautiful day here- 25C...sadly very dry- Adelaide's major reservoirs at best are 50% empty.

Time to make stuff happen space cadets.

Time for
Old 09-14-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Hi all you students, I'm joining the University of the third age (university for old folk) from what I've gleaned the 'lectures' are given by retired college educators. I'm going to give german another go.

Have a good day everyone.