Notices

One Year & Over Part 70

Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Treasures.

The Village Effect by Susan Pinker is a good read, people who live in groups (extended family or villages) live longer.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Andy, that’s interesting. I can imagine how that would work.

Lovely sunny morning here at the moment. Plumber will be here any minute to service boiler. Just had my grocery delivery so our day is free when the plumber has done.

Have a good Tuesday my friends xxxx
Old 09-10-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Andy, that fits with where I live now. The thinking seems to be as follows: after retirement, many of us experience shrinking social circles. It is harder at this point in our lives to make many new friends. Social isolation isn’t healthy for most people. One of the benefits of living where I do is that we regularly make new friends as we lose others. All I have to do is to step outside of my apartment if I feel like socializing and I do so every day. When our mobility decreases, it’s still much easier to get out and around than in usual living situations. It’s not at all unusual here for people in their nineties to be living full and socially active lives and we usually have a few over 100.

Have a good day, Overs!
Old 09-10-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Saskia, my wife and I were talking about how well my mother in law is doing at her OFH. She has a social calendar that is packed, delicious dinners every night, and yet lives an independent life with her apartment. She no longer has to worry about house maintenance , snow removal and the other responsibilities of home ownership. Even better, when her health eventually declines, she will be taken care of and moved to a medical facility within the development. It's a huge relief for us knowing that we will not be responsible for her ongoing care. My parents stubbornly refuse to admit that they are 88 and 84, and still live in their house. They have no plans when one of them passes. It will fall unto my sister and I to take care of the surviving one. It's a huge burden for the children, especially as we still have children at home. For all of the above reasons, we plan on making the move to an OFH when the time comes.

Hopefully getting my new refrigerator delivered today. We have been roughing it, living out of coolers for almost ten days. This "camping" adventure is getting old!

Have a good day all!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:01 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

We have a damp morning and the cloud is making it darker than normal.

I'm currently remaking my pipe bender to make it easier to bend pipe into a heat exchange coil. It's been a bit of a mind bending process

Old 09-10-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Andy, You lost me at pipe bender

Refuse collection day today. General wheelie bin and 2 tubs, 1 for paper and the other tin and glass, I’m well trained.

I’ve got a bee in my bonnet about clearing the attic out. It’s not that easy nowadays. I used to be able to run up and down the steps to my attic easypeasy. Now half a dozen steps and I’m done in. I have to pace myself.

If I’ve got any regrets in this life (besides the biggie, drinking of course) it’s putting things off and not seizing the moment.

But being positive I can do it, it just takes a heck of a lot longer.

Hope everyone is well today. Lots of love xx
Old 09-11-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

SG, that’s exactly how I felt and why I am here. Nothing is perfect but I enjoy it here most of the time and don’t have any worries about what will happen to me as my health declines.

Andy, you lost me at pipe bender, too

Mags, I try not to dwell on regrets because I can’t change the past. Most of the time I focus on today and try to appreciate what I am able to do

Have a good day to all!
Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm so grateful that my Mom is in assisted living. She's in the memory care unit and she seems pretty happy most of the time. They have daily activities and she's made lots of new friends. Sure, she complains about the food once in awhile, but overall I believe she's actually doing better since my Dad passed away. That is a huge thing, because she was so dependent on him for everything, especially in those last few years. I only half-jokingly tell her that I would move in to her facility right now, if I could afford it!

Am actually looking forward to my eye appointment on Friday. I'm ready to move on to the next course of treatment, as the drops don't seem to be working.

Have a Happy Hump-Day, overs!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Quick Hello Overs, I scanned to sort of catch up what I could.

Mags,
I third your post to PJ.

PJ,
We do need then feed each other. You're a giver not a taker.

Toots,
Not all dogs are intentional comforters, guess it runs in the family? (attitudes travel up and down the leash) Many of us here have been caregivers to family members with Alzheimer’s/Dementia. Or like me at 67 get nervous whenever we can’t recall something. Fortunately for me they are the same things I’ve always had trouble remembering since my teens. It looks like a new drug may just work to get rid of the antagonist, read this! https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/news/2...eimers-disease

Sassy,
Your ill friend sounds like a trooper. I know the feeling of losing old friends and siblings. Your “community” fits in with that tribal genetic imperative we humans cannot change. It only becomes a liability when those who have a desire to control others for their own benefit, like Jim Jones sought out the lonely and led them to a dead end in Jonestown. Or a blaze of glory like in Waco. Or the recent shooters, which in the US, have corresponded to the rise of hate groups we used to laugh to the fringe where they belonged. Quite frankly I am amazed. Old PT Barnum said it best - “Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.” ― P.T. Barnum.

Star,
Yep we just did that with her parents and your plan is infinitely more rational. My SH was determined and I loved them too. But I did not burden her with taking care of mine. She did Estate sales/downsizing moves for 7 or 8 years, and they many times moved the owners into a facility like you describe. Since they decorated for them when it came time to move them and their few possessions and furniture to memory care, it was in house. She'd see some all there, then mostly gone.

Andy,
I gotcha and have a tubing/pipe Bender.
Guys, here's videos of pipe Benders. You need one because without it they collapse and are no good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VodMwrFZXgM

We are both in shock that when we fairly, according to our realtor, countered an outrageous offer to have us pay the buyer’s closing costs of $8k they were offended and moved on with no counter. For those in other countries that may be different, here the seller is responsible for paying the realtor’s fees of 6%, and the buyer pays closing costs. Having just dropped the price $25k in my last two price drops, and offering in counter to pay half of their costs, instead of saying no way in a huff, as they did. Oh well, I just remember a line from The Book of Paul – “Let it be” and move on. Have another showing today.

With the house not sold, we spent our 47th Anniversary apart. September is my sober anniversary too. 9 years this year. My group is my SH! I’ll make new friends in the Springs easily as there’s a large retired military community, and four major bases, three I have access to. The one I don’t is Cheyenne Mountain, home of NORAD (and other top secret organizations) which is also able to withstand a direct nuclear hit. For those unfamiliar it is the facility shown in the Stargate Movie and series with the vault like door. The outside shots of the entrance are real.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife dearest Itchy: I am so sorry you had to spend the day apart. s And yeah, those buyers suck, that is very uncool.
I think your house deserves nicer people anyway....hopefully it happens very soon. Fingers crossed. xx
Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes to you and the missus Itch
Old 09-11-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Glad you posted, check in Itch. Jeez- your home sale is turning into a saga, I hope it all ends to your benefit soon.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

FBL, I hope the new drops work for you.

Hi Itchy, sorry you weren't with your SH for your anniversary.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itch, Happy 47 th anniversary to you and your wife. Sorry you spent it apart. Now if you had ‘beam me up Scotty’ you could travel in space between both homes.

Sassy, you’re right about dwelling on the past. I try not to too. Sometimes things pop in my head but I don’t feed them.
I found a paragraph I thought was poignant.

I cannot change the past, but I can change my way of perceiving the past, and I do not have to perpetuate it as the reality of the present and the future.
- Sister Dang Nghiem

FBL all the best for your eye appointment tomorrow.

Have a good Thursday my friends. xxxx
Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Suze,
We have tech - video calling! So we talk several times a day and she shows off her updating projects there. She's changed the oddball colors to our preferred grays and updated a spindle kitchen corner rail to tensioned cables, installed a sliding barn door on the master bath, and redid our fireplace colors and trim.

Dee,
Thank you.

PJ,
You and me both.

Just showed it again today to a couple my age! They look like a possible buyer! Another guy I met in Kroger's also wants to come by. Nite all.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope it happens soon mate

D
Old 09-11-2019, 11:57 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

G,old luck with the new potential, buyers Itchy and congrats on the anniversary. I had to giggle when everyone was saying to Andy 'you lost me at pipe bender' as I thought 'If Itchy was here he would explain it and bam, here you are! My dad doesn't have altzheimers, he is a physical wreck and a natural pain in the butt, always has been a self-serving narcissist and age isn't improving him none!

Molly is helping the folks, my mum is enjoying the excuse to get out in the fresh air and away from the negativity in the house, and Molly is extremely gentle with my dad.

FBL I hope the new treatment helps.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

A share in Whiner's Anonymous some may find interesting- the link up does not seem to be working.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:22 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Best of luck on the house, Itch.

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 09-12-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...own-whine.html

On the last page

PJ, think this is it, definitely worth reading.