Notices

Class of August Part 2 2019

Old 08-30-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks, Trojan and Red.

Venus, I’ll look into that daily reading book. Thank you for caring about us!

Karen, How are you today?

Hello to the rest of the August class. Stay sober today and don’t go back to the misery. It’s awful....let me be a reminder to you all how hard it can be to get back on track. Scary stuff.

Slept so well last night. Let the healing begin.

Dee, I’m trying to keep a plan in place this time. Not waver from it or let my mind take over. I’m going to work harder at this as it seems every time I go back, I have a harder time stopping. I don’t want to go back and I’m ready to do the tough work; sit through the cravings even if it gets uncomfortable. Work through emotions so I can handle them without wanting to escape. Getting back to healthy diet and solid running. That’s a start anyway.

Today I will not drink. I’ll be home all morning then take kids out this afternoon. Pizzza movie night at home later.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trojanhorse View Post
I am enjoying the US Open Venuscat, its a nice distraction for a few hours a night.

Hope you are well, tkr
I am feeling much better, just tired and late today.
The US Open last night was just awesome.....go Coco, go Coco.....how cool is this 15 year old?

And then my sister called me.....the one who still speaks to me..... and we had an awesome chat for over an hour, and it got way too late and I forgot to set my alarm and overslept this morning.

Hope you have a fantastic Friday. s
Old 08-30-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Quiet today....this is a big weekend in the States.....and it is pretty much driving home time almost, so hang in there everyone......loads of love. s
Old 08-30-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Venus - i do eat very healthy, like raw vege healthy with nuts and seeds etc I cook meals with ingredients no one else in the house has heard of lol
The problem is that in the afternoon after I've had lunch I'm eating choc and sugar and because I'm already full from lunch it makes me feel **** and then that seems to make me want to eat even more crap..
Your food pyramid is interesting venus I've never seen one with carbs and grains at the bottom.
I'm defo the same about not taking carbs out of the diet but I certainly think bad carbs should go ie. Bread pasta white rice etc as they have no nutritional value.

Day 7 this morning and I'm shattered due to being woken up by my drunk neighbour. He was on a bender last night, upset about something, something quite valid but he gets out of control and it's hard to get him back and talk reason with him. I'm sure some of us are familiar with this. Anyway got woken up by his very loud music at 1am and didnt get back to sleep until 4am.

​​​​​​It's a beautiful day here today, waiting for a re check on the car to get its warrant of fitness and then off to my stepsons rugby tournament.
Happy Saturday everyone.. Last day of winter! Well for me anyway..

​​​​
Old 08-30-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't have as hard a time driving home, though it was shaky. I got home and the one person in my family's life who is a big drinker is here. No one else is here, just her. I went straight to the fridge to see if there was anything I shouldn't have. Yes, I know that's not what I should have done! There was nothing there, thank heavens. She is listening to rap 'music' so I turned on my ocean sound maker and am drinking juice and reading here.
My podcast wouldn't work so I sang, "I'm feeling Good" (Charley is not fond of my singing, not sure why) and kept saying "NO" when the AV piped up.
A three day weekend without booze or hangovers! I feel like a million bucks. I want to go outside but the mosquitoes are really bad right now. Will hang with you folks tonight.
Happy Sober Labor Day Weekend! Sober September, here we come!
Old 08-30-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

With big apologies, I posted an out-of-date food pyramid.....Anna is going to post the current one.....I guess I need to update.

Love and sorry s xx
Old 08-30-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Or I will, when I work it out. s xx
Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe this is the current model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyPlate

D
Old 08-30-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Someone did a health class for our residents, and he used a chart called "My Pie" I'm sure you can look it up. But, I don't know if it current, or if maybe it was just that dietitian's take on it.
Are you feeling better Venus? How's the elbow? Does anyone have great plans for this weekend? I know I'll go to some meetings, work in the yard, do training with Charley, and tomorrow evening I'm going to spray mosquito killer in my back yard. I hate using pesticides, but there have been reports of West Nile Virus in my area, and they are crazy out there. Swarms of them.
Quit, how are you? Did you have fun with the kids and are you managing okay?
Old 08-30-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Have fun at Rugby, Red. It's so odd to me that you are coming out of winter and I am going into fall. I am so sick of the summer. Are you excited for Spring?
Old 08-30-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you dear Anna and Dee.

My plans are to finally get my garden and inside plants in perfect order, get some sun and exercise, make some fantastic food.....going to make my own made-up pizzas on our pizza stone on the grill....have some romantic time with my husband.....and really, whatever comes my way....it's a three-day weekend. I might get a chance to go for a walk and coffee with my friend next door....there are awesome people here.

I hear that Spring in NZ is just magnificent...... s
Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you, Suze! Thank you, Dee!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

That was it, My Plate, not My Pie. Shows you what I'm wanting on my plate! Dessert!
Your weekend plans sound great Venus.
I've had a good night. I'm doing the daily homework on the 30 day experiment and I didn't even remember that I had tried it before way last October. My answers from then are the same. I only kept it up for about 5 days. Sad. I won't let that happen this time!
Sweet dreams to all. I am excited about sober Saturday tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Me again! My son has a dear friend who he has been close to since they were in middle school. They're both 30 now. This friend drinks quite a bit, and so does his brother. His brother was on his way to rehab. Had decided he needed that to quit drinking. On the way, his blood pressure spiked and he had a brain aneurism. He is in critical care, may not live. I'm so sorry for him, for his brother and his mom. It has really brought home to me how dangerous it is to play with this disease.
So grateful I'm on the mend. I don't ever want to go back to drinking.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good to hear everyone is looking forward to the weekend. So am I, it has been a long week at work. At least it was a clean one that I am thankful for. Off to the farm tomorrow and then some football on Sunday. Life is grand. Take care everyone, lean on each other and any of your support systems if needed.

Stay clean
Old 08-30-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Morning everyone so great to read that you are all doing so well I'm just checking in for day 12. Wishing you a happy, healthy sober Saturday xx
Old 08-31-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Me again! My son has a dear friend who he has been close to since they were in middle school. They're both 30 now. This friend drinks quite a bit, and so does his brother. His brother was on his way to rehab. Had decided he needed that to quit drinking. On the way, his blood pressure spiked and he had a brain aneurism. He is in critical care, may not live. I'm so sorry for him, for his brother and his mom. It has really brought home to me how dangerous it is to play with this disease.
Oh no! So sorry about your son's friend's brother. Prayers for him. That's so sad.

More and more, I'm feeling like I may never drink again. For that, I'm grateful.

I'm so happy that the mood in the class is so upbeat and positive. Let's try our best to keep it up. If we get down, let's run here immediately for support.

I can't believe the month is at an end. I'm so excited and proud to be graduating sober at last! Yaaay! Congrats to all of us and let's keep it up. 🤗.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Oh Karen, how devastating. I am so very sorry for that family and for your son and his friend.....what a terrible thing to happen. s

OK....upbeat and positive.....so let's all have a fantastic sober Saturday!!!! Together.....we could start with coffee maybe?

Old 08-31-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Karen so sorry to hear this news, what a tragedy. Hoping for the best for this young person.

Off to the farm, going to be a good day. Wishing everyone a clean Saturday, enjoy the weekend. Remember to do something you love and enjoy.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Have a fantastic day Tj!!!