Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 3

Old 08-05-2019, 03:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 13 here. Quit-Sorry I forgot to say hi. HI!!

Also, Hi Karen, my Georgia friend. Hope you get things worked out and back on a good path.

FR-I guess you're still recovering and getting caught up from your camping? Would like to hear from you.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am starting over. Thanks for all your well wishes. I'm going to need a better plan. Any ideas? Have any of you heard of Naltrexone? I'm also considering AA again.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome back Karen
Wishing everybody a calm/easy start of the week.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
I am starting over. Thanks for all your well wishes. I'm going to need a better plan. Any ideas? Have any of you heard of Naltrexone? I'm also considering AA again.
This link could be a good start

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 08-05-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Karen! Do whatever it takes for you. Dee’s list is a wonderful resource.

I think recovery is different for each of us. In this last turn around, I went to my pastor since I’m a church goer. If you don’t have that, consider an addictions counselor or AA. Someone to talk to. It has helped immensely for me this round and it’s the first time I was willing to open up to someone outside of my immediate family. I may also seek out a counselor to work out some of these emotions which emerge after I quit drinking. This is tough stuff, but we know how much more beautiful life is when we’re sober. Wishing you the best.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning, Class. Finally made it back to double digits...entering day 10.

Feeling pretty good this morning. Going to make my list and begin to tackle it one thing at a time. That will help me not to feel so overwhelmed. Get the list out of my head and on to paper.

Finalround, I’m missing your posts. You ok?
Old 08-05-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackandScared View Post
Charon, thanks for answering me. The SMART meetings around me are very far away and I know I will never make it.

It helps to know what happens during these meetings though. Sounds helpful and supportive, so I will keep checking if something feasible opens up around my workplace or home.
BackandScared - You might want to try an on-line meeting. Others have said that they are extremely helpful, especially if you can't get to face to face meetings. Just register at: https://www.smartrecovery.org/ , log in and go to this link:

https://www.smartrecovery.org/community/calendar.php

Sober369 - I've used naltrexone and campral. They reduced cravings for 4-6 weeks for me, but they came creeping back. It could work for you differently. I am now taking antabuse (disulfiram). You cannot drink while taking it. Effects are horrendous if you do. Best part - you have to stop taking it for 12 days before you can touch alcohol. Plenty of time to come to my senses and start taking it again.

AA never worked for me. I just couldn't buy into the dogma, the "I am powerless", only god can save me, the cult-like reading of the 12 steps and other rituals. To be sure, I found some good sayings there - but it wasn't for me.

Instead I found SMART. It's totally secular, scientific, offers real tools, and works for me and others. You can see if there are any face to face meetings near you here: https://www.smartrecovery.org/ just click the "Find A Meeting" button. If there are none close by you could still try on-line video meetings. Register and sign in and use the link I posted above in this post.

Kgirl41 - great quote. I'm adding it to my (huge) list of favorite quotes.

Hope everone has a brillinat, wonderful, great, and sober day. See you all tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Charon. Will check links.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I hate to be a downer, but I have to let you all know that I drank again starting Friday and haven't been able to stop yet. I will come back as soon as I get my bearings.
Please hang in there everyone. It's like we all said, it's awful.
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Remember that you have the power Karen, not your addiction - I really believe you can stop drinking today - and I hope you will.

We're here for support

D
Exactly honey.....as Dee said...you have the power. And we are ALL here to help you. s

As I said to you in a message earlier....many of us have fallen down on this road. Shame is there, I know, but it really has no place here, with us, because we all understand. And we can share our tools, and help you find new ways to keep going safely and happily down the sober road.

Come chat honey, when you are ready. Make today the day when hope and all of the good things win out. Your wonderful Charlie and daughter and grandchild need you....all of your charges need you....and so do we. So come chat.

Sending oodles of healing love. s
Old 08-05-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quitnow4 View Post
Karen, We’re here for you. It is awful. Come back quickly.

Ending day 9 and feeling a bit better. Had a heart to heart with my husband about needing more help around the house. He said he would do better and enlist the kids to do more. I feel successful in that I dealt with the emotions rather than stuff them down with wine.

Onward and goodnight....💤
That's fantastic. Really. xx
Old 08-05-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I actually know a fair bit about it, because my close friend's father (in Australia) was one of the leading Australian doctors who implemented its use. I even worked in their clinic briefly. We can PM or text if you like.

But if it was me, I would quite literally make an appt to discuss this with my GP. They are the only ones who can determine if it is right for you, and they would be administering it anyway....I think many good docs know about it these days. s

And how about we make a deal to catch up by text in the evening? I know I would never manage that if I was drinking....and surely a chat with a friend is more fun?

AA is wonderful Karen. End of story. Give it a go....no one will keep you prisoner. Gosh, I have walked into at least 2 meetings that I went...uh uh....and left. On the other hand, I have been to hundreds that were wonderful.

And the sayings are just so good....I was just thinking this morning about this one: Feelings Aren't Facts. My sponsor used to say that to me all of the time....as you may have noticed, I am somewhat emotional (), and I do get worked up about things. It's amazing how your head can tell you that the stuff going on in there is the truth when you are upset, or ashamed, or any negative emotion.

But feelings aren't facts. And once we breathe, and calm down, and see things with a clearer head, everything changes.

The facts are this: you have been doing so well Karen. And something happened.....Friday happened.....and the AV won. OK....next time you will be ready. This Friday we will be there for you and help you to pick some more sober tools to have on hand....you will be a warrior. s

BackandScared love....I believe friends here do online SMART meetings....I think Purps does. She is awesome....if you like, we can ask her about them. s

Massive love to all of you.

EDIT.....Oops.....just saw Charon posted the link. s
Old 08-05-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks venus. I am working on so many other tools and spending so much time on trying to read and focus on staying on this journey that I may wait for the meetings a bit longer. But will try for sure soon.

Just checking in to say goodnight from me. Well done everybody who made it today and well done for those who didn't but keep trying. Karen, day 1 is beyond ****, but I hope you go past it today.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I’m so pleased for you! Coming back so quickly as well-that’s real self honesty to do that. Keep coming back!

Rounding off day 15, had a counselling session this evening and I’m exhausted!

Night all!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I actually know a fair bit about it, because my close friend's father (in Australia) was one of the leading Australian doctors who implemented its use. I even worked in their clinic briefly. We can PM or text if you like.

But if it was me, I would quite literally make an appt to discuss this with my GP. They are the only ones who can determine if it is right for you, and they would be administering it anyway....I think many good docs know about it these days. s

And how about we make a deal to catch up by text in the evening? I know I would never manage that if I was drinking....and surely a chat with a friend is more fun?

AA is wonderful Karen. End of story. Give it a go....no one will keep you prisoner. Gosh, I have walked into at least 2 meetings that I went...uh uh....and left. On the other hand, I have been to hundreds that were wonderful.

And the sayings are just so good....I was just thinking this morning about this one: Feelings Aren't Facts. My sponsor used to say that to me all of the time....as you may have noticed, I am somewhat emotional (), and I do get worked up about things. It's amazing how your head can tell you that the stuff going on in there is the truth when you are upset, or ashamed, or any negative emotion.

But feelings aren't facts. And once we breathe, and calm down, and see things with a clearer head, everything changes.

The facts are this: you have been doing so well Karen. And something happened.....Friday happened.....and the AV won. OK....next time you will be ready. This Friday we will be there for you and help you to pick some more sober tools to have on hand....you will be a warrior. s

BackandScared love....I believe friends here do online SMART meetings....I think Purps does. She is awesome....if you like, we can ask her about them. s

Massive love to all of you.

EDIT.....Oops.....just saw Charon posted the link. s
Couldn’t go to sleep without saying this-Venus you’re just so lovely! I love reading your posts, they’re so kind and compassionate!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You are just so lovely.....thank you so much.
Means the world to me to be here with all of you. xx ❤️
Old 08-05-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am in awe of all of you, your kindness and support. I am sick and going to bed. I will probably be up in a bit, I doubt I can sleep, and I'll come back here.
Hugs to all of you.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Take plenty of water to bed with you love....I use my metal water bottle as well as another metal cup.....and know we are all here with you. Huge hugs. xx
Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Today is double digits... 10 Not really proud of myself because I've been in and out of SR for 6 years now. Happy to always feel welcome nonetheless.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It took me so many years to get that 6 days love.....you should indeed be proud of yourself. This is your commitment to change. That is magic.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:57 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Oops.....what on earth....how did I get 6...way too tired.....sorry dear Joy......

10 days is magic. Just beautiful. xx ❤️