Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 2

Old 07-20-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Awesome, Purina! Yes!
We fight that first drink. The power is in never taking that sip. There is no such thing as just one.
Great job getting through day 1- sober Sunday is going to feel great!
Old 07-20-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah purine, avoid that first drink no matter what.

I've come to realize I don't have a drinking problem...I have a stopping problem.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three days Quitnow! And on day one Purina.
I totally agree that addicts need support. I'm not married and my kids don't get involved in my recovery, and I don't blame them at all I prefer it that way because it's been such and up and down ride all my life. But it bothers me when I hear people say and post things like, "They will quit when they're ready." When a person relapses. I think it's a cop out. Of course we won't quit until we're ready! But when we're ready we need help. I think the statement is really saying, "Don't bother with trying to help them, if they relapse they must not be ready."
So, we have to find that help, usually from other recovering people, but if we have a wife or partner, they need to step up to the plate just like we would if they had an illness or issue.
Sorry for preaching, that's a hot button for me, obviously!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I want to share my good news, too.
First of all, the day with my granddaughter, Katie, who is 16, went really well. We shopped and then went out to dinner. I spent too much money, but I really think it was worth it. All I really said to her was, "I hope you're not still mad at me, because I'd love us to have some fun together today." She said, "I'm not mad,". It was great. I can't even describe how nervous I was when I went to talk to her. I'm really, really grateful.
The other good thing is, I shared with all of you about how I have a team member who I supervise who has been on a war path to make me not bring the dog to work. She's off her rocker, calling people at night and going person to person.
Poor thing seems to be having a breakdown of some sort, and I hate that, but I also have been scared that after all the time, money and work I've put into Charley, and after falling absolutely in love with him, that her scheme would work and I'd have to find a way to have him cared for during the day, and lose the opportunity of training him to be a community pet at the senior center where I work.
I have been trying to talk to my boss about it. All week she never had time to talk about it or email me back other than a "Let me think about it and I'll get back to you,". She's a very absent boss.
Anyway, I got a text from her today with a short video ad that our company has just put out talking about how (name of company) loves dogs and is hoping to incorporate a community pet or three in every community they own. Wow! I guess that is my answer! The poor little love that is trying to screw me over, bless her heart, is sh*t out of luck!
Here's to another sober weekend day coming up tomorrow! I hope you are all doing great, and thanks for being there.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you do decide to go back Purina.
Final Round made my stock point more eruditely than I managed.

Congrats on a great day Karen.

Keep going kinsey, kgirl and quit.
Hope everyone else is doing well

D
Old 07-21-2019, 02:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello all. I got back from Baton Rouge on Wednesday. I am on day 4. Thanks for asking about me FR. As usual, something Dee said has been resonating with me. Dee, I don't think it is going to take me 16 years , but I feel like I am going through exactly what you have described. I am finishing up 2 years of the process. The big things have been worked out. Things such as my wife's daily drinking, or social gatherings with friends (mainly tailgating), etc. These things really bothered me when I was first trying to quit. Now, not at all. I don't even really notice my wife now and I can't wait for football and tailgating. Social get togethers with friends are now enjoyable. It's the little unexpected stuff that continues to get me. I don't want to get into the details of this latest one, but I have noticed that I have to work on rejecting the enabling that usually accompanies the unexpected situations. Guess that means I have to up my commitment level.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I was stubborn LOL
That sounds great Bob

D
Old 07-21-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So I've been away a while and sad to say I relapsed about a week ago and then kept drinking. I was doing so well, I don't know even what triggered me into buying the wine. I feel ashamed, a failure and I'm also skint again. Yesterday was my last drink, back to square 1. Stomach is in bits too.

Honestly, I feel so crap. :-(
Old 07-21-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

Zombie-Pretty sure everyone here has been there. I know I can tell that story very clearly. Alcoholism sucks.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back Zombie.
Any thoughts yet on what you might do differently this time?

D
Old 07-21-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Post here, I should have when the AV started talking to me.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Glad to see you back bobdrop. I'm finding I need a constant reminder of why I can't have that first drink. Especially when my confidence is up and my guard is down. For me it has to be an absolute. I cannot drink.

Welcome back Zombie. You know what you need to do. Then add a few things to that.

Sober369, great job on working out both those stressful scenarios without turning to booze. Things tend to work themselves out to an acceptable outcome if we are willing to deal with them I guess. Kind of like Dee's tag line, "everything will be ok in the end, if it is not, it is not the end".

Reading your posts this morning has given me just a little extra boost in confidence today. You are all an inspiration. I know I'm not alone in this.

You know who's NOT drinking today? THIS GUY!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
Yeah purine, avoid that first drink no matter what.

I've come to realize I don't have a drinking problem...I have a stopping problem.
And a thinking problem!

Old 07-21-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
I want to share my good news, too.
First of all, the day with my granddaughter, Katie, who is 16, went really well. We shopped and then went out to dinner. I spent too much money, but I really think it was worth it. All I really said to her was, "I hope you're not still mad at me, because I'd love us to have some fun together today." She said, "I'm not mad,". It was great. I can't even describe how nervous I was when I went to talk to her. I'm really, really grateful.
The other good thing is, I shared with all of you about how I have a team member who I supervise who has been on a war path to make me not bring the dog to work. She's off her rocker, calling people at night and going person to person.
Poor thing seems to be having a breakdown of some sort, and I hate that, but I also have been scared that after all the time, money and work I've put into Charley, and after falling absolutely in love with him, that her scheme would work and I'd have to find a way to have him cared for during the day, and lose the opportunity of training him to be a community pet at the senior center where I work.
I have been trying to talk to my boss about it. All week she never had time to talk about it or email me back other than a "Let me think about it and I'll get back to you,". She's a very absent boss.
Anyway, I got a text from her today with a short video ad that our company has just put out talking about how (name of company) loves dogs and is hoping to incorporate a community pet or three in every community they own. Wow! I guess that is my answer! The poor little love that is trying to screw me over, bless her heart, is sh*t out of luck!
Here's to another sober weekend day coming up tomorrow! I hope you are all doing great, and thanks for being there.
Wow Karen that is wonderful news! It would be extremely hard to not take this other chicks actions as a personal attack against you but it's obvious this is her own issue. I'm just glad it all worked out for you and Charley and hopefully this girl will get some help.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Not alone, FR! It's a climb, but we all get to do it together. We to share in the success of our effort, too.

Glad you are back, Zombie! Thanks for keeping us updated, Bobdrop.

Glad you had a good day, Karen. It's great that you were able to work things out with your granddaughter! I think your plan to train your dog as a community dog is wonderful for everyone involved- particularly the residents.

Woke up feeling great today. I spent a lot of time reading and journaling yesterday, doing some mental repair and preparation. I'm hoping to tick off my weekend list of things to do today- housework, grocery shopping, grilling, and kayaking.
I guess I'd better go start on all of that right now!

Sending love and power to all!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey zombie.....really happy to see you honey.

And just so awesome Karen, all the way around.
And I will PM my details....I would love to have another friend here (in the US I mean ).

Old 07-21-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zombie79 View Post
So I've been away a while and sad to say I relapsed about a week ago and then kept drinking. I was doing so well, I don't know even what triggered me into buying the wine. I feel ashamed, a failure and I'm also skint again. Yesterday was my last drink, back to square 1. Stomach is in bits too.

Honestly, I feel so crap. :-(
Well first congrats on Day 1! It takes a lot of courage to accept you cannot drink and commit to not drinking.

I was in the same place as you just a few days ago. It's a horrible, horrible feeling but the silver lining is that you don't ever have to feel this way again. Hold on to this memory of how bad you feel and whenever you think about drinking again run the tape all the way to this moment.

Drink lots of water today and take care of you.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

^^^ Huge smile....beautiful posts kgirl and Kinsey, and hi Bob.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Day 3 for me and I'm here to commit to another day of not drinking! Today will be all about planning for the week. Getting chores done, scheduling out my days, including spending time each day working my program. For the time being my program includes getting some exercise in the morning, reading Recovery by Russell Brand, journaling, and posting here!
I've been going back and forth on attending an AA meeting. I've gone before and it's never stuck but I do feel like I need more face to face interaction. I would also really like a sponsor because I want help working the steps. But mentally I'm not 100% committed to going to AA so I'll just start with the other things and continue to explore other avenues of help.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That sounds like a really great plan dear kgirl.
If you want to talk over any of the steps, really happy to PM with you while you are looking for a sponsor.

Must go wake up my husband: he played music for HOURS yesterday. He was exhausted.