Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 5

Old 03-04-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January 2020 PART 5

last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-4-a-21.html (Class of January 2020 PART 4)

D
Old 03-04-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 03-04-2020, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee
I think the tp shortage is just panic buying after the news. Shows the power of media!
Well I normally buy a big box of tp online and was due to order my 3 monthly supply and the website is sold out. I just went to Coles (my local supermarket) to get some and this is what I encountered...

And those boxes up top are handy paper towels, cos I thought they might be tp, but no, people are buying up them too now.
Luckily I found a couple of packets at the “cheap shop” down the road, so our household hasn’t totally run out of tp!
Old 03-04-2020, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Willow, that's insane! :o People here are starting to hoard canned goods and a lot of stores are out of flour, pasta and cereals. I wish people wouldn't, but I ended up doing the same thing myself. We have enough food for a couple of months, at least.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the paranoia will calm down soon.

D
Old 03-05-2020, 01:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi all

The panic buying has yet to hit my world. If people begin hoarding TP, then I suppose I should do too. The madness.

If the panic demand for paper triggers yet more trees to be cut down, and the climate gets even worse, that would be just awesome.

Happy for everyone who is working through understanding their own painful need for intoxication. It is horrible , but part of the process, I guess. Like uncovering forgotten grief, maybe.

My general mood is fine but , I am not sure if anyone else feels like this, but it can feel very odd. It has been so long since I have had a sober stretch like this. It is hard to describe. Out of place maybe.

have a happy, healthy and sober day all

dlb
Old 03-05-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

dlb, you'll get used to being sober. It's going to get better.

I just got out of the shower, I've got a fire going and I have Lucy the cat sleeping next to me. Today's task is to finish writing the scene I've been working on.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes hopefully the paranoia settles down soon Dee. Everything else seems ok, it’s just the tp that’s all gone...

Bacchus I think I know what you mean about feeling out of place, or different. Maybe we got so used to feeling intoxicated most of the time that we’ve forgotten what normal feels like?

Lixie, having Lucy the cat beside you as you write sounds lovely

I’m off to bed myself, haven’t been sleeping very well so hopefully tonight I will get some decent sleep.
Good night everyone
Old 03-05-2020, 02:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Goodnight again love s ❤️

My jaw dropped when I saw that pic.....although it was kind of nice to see Coles again. (Homesick this morning)

Love to all of you....and yes dlb, this was strange for me for a while too.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also.....

Toilet Rolls
Tissues
Bakery?????????

Err. What an unusual combination.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Also.....

Toilet Rolls
Tissues
Bakery?????????

Oh my dog! I didn't even see that!
Old 03-05-2020, 02:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Goodnight again love s ❤️

My jaw dropped when I saw that pic.....although it was kind of nice to see Coles again. (Homesick this morning)

Love to all of you....and yes dlb, this was strange for me for a while too.

I will send you some nicer Aussie pics when I take some
Old 03-05-2020, 03:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get it....and I could see they meant the bakery was down the end, but it was a first for me, Coles-signs wise.

It would be a good photo to caption on social media if you are into that.

(I am not ).
Old 03-05-2020, 03:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Also.....

Toilet Rolls
Tissues
Bakery?????????

Lol I hadn’t really thought about it I’m so used to it being like that
But I guess it’s a bit of a weird combination lol

The bakery section kinda takes up the back part of two aisles and a middle long table section and then the aisle breaks into two aisles down the front, one for tissues and loo paper and the other for frozen food. I guess cos it’s a regional Coles and pretty small compared to the ones in the city, they have less space so kinda cram things together in a weird way lol. I’m just so glad they don’t sell alcohol in supermarkets, and this one is so small it doesn’t even have a liquorland bottle shop beside it like the bigger ones do. Phew for me
Old 03-05-2020, 03:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lol I had replied to the wrong comment of yours and edited it, so now we sound nuts again ❤️

And the food section down the end you can see isn’t even the bakery section, it’s icecream and frozen fish and chips and pies lol
Old 03-05-2020, 03:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OMG.....I just thought what on earth??? I just answered that post.....

And thank you ....re the pics. s xx ❤️
Old 03-05-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So my Australian email that tells me Aussie stuff (not advertising their name) just suggested that Aussies are going to need toilet-paper free bidets to cope with the toilet paper crisis.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dontlookbacchus View Post
hi all

The panic buying has yet to hit my world. If people begin hoarding TP, then I suppose I should do too. The madness.

If the panic demand for paper triggers yet more trees to be cut down, and the climate gets even worse, that would be just awesome.

Happy for everyone who is working through understanding their own painful need for intoxication. It is horrible , but part of the process, I guess. Like uncovering forgotten grief, maybe.

My general mood is fine but , I am not sure if anyone else feels like this, but it can feel very odd. It has been so long since I have had a sober stretch like this. It is hard to describe. Out of place maybe.

have a happy, healthy and sober day all

dlb
Morning all.

No panic buying yet in sunny Florida yet either that I have seen. I'm planning to pick up some loo paper, a large container of hand sanitizer, some alka seltzer plus cold and flu, and maybe a couple of other things today to beat the run.

I wouldn't worry about acceleration of climate change resulting from a run on TP. Most of the trees used to produce tissue paper were destined to be harvested anyway, just like corn or oranges. If anything at all, it will be a short term increase in harvesting followed by a reduction in harvesting. I know it sounds backwards, but a sustained increase in amount of timber products being utilized would more likely increase the land area being managed for trees and increase the amount of carbon being sequestered. It's a complicated issue though with lots of dynamics coming into play.

I was having the odd feelings you describe but not much anymore. Sleep routine is great. Not the soreness I was experiencing, but my feet and legs from the knees down are cramped a lot in a way I've never noticed before.

My buddy wanted to stop at a popular bbq place yesterday and I had a much heavier lunch than normal, almost no excercise from riding in truck all day, and felt almost depressed last night. More normal day today though.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ahhhh, was thinking WTH is a bidet? Thought maybe an Australian word for old cloth rags or something. Pronounced boo-dey.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Interesting discussion on childhood health experiences. I was in the hospital for a week with pneumonia when I was 7. I remember missing Halloween. My brothers and cousins, at the behest of parents I am sure, put together a bag of candy for me. All in all, it wasn't a bad experience for me. Although I don't much like hospitals. Those guys went on to become my closest drinking buddies. That is probably a relationship dynamic I will have the most difficult time adjusting to going forward sober.

I also have a lazy eye. It was caught just early enough at about 5yo to correct it enough to not consider surgery or anything like that. Later in life, it was always a good gauge as how much alcohol I had consumed as it would "wander" just a bit if I got too drunk, too quick. In recent years, it was corrected even more as I developed cataracts early in life (likely due at least in part to excessive alcohol consumption). The corrective lens placed directly on the eye made a noticeable difference. Funny (or sad) how I tie those experience back to drinking.

Great job skipping the beer and scoring a bundle of TP Lixie. Panic buying is still rather sporadic by most accounts in Michigan (at least as of yesterday). I don't think I will panic until there is a shortage in corn cobs as well. Actually, my wife has always had a "thing" about TP so we are well stocked. One less thing to worry about.

I have the day off, so perhaps I will head up to the store and decide what I truly must have on hand in the event of the zombie apocalypse. I few years ago, it would have been right to the beer aisle (and there I go again with the beer. Yeesh)

Have a great day everyone. It is a great start here. Sunny outside and sober inside.