Notices

Class of June 2019 part 2

Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Morning all
Purina, please don't compare yourself to others. Do what you must, eat what you need to and rest as much as you need to to stay sober

i feel like I've been hit by a truck this morning but that's cos I had no sugar yesterday and the headache has kicked in. Truly it's worse than a hangover headache.

Have a good day everyone
Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Petecrab View Post
Purina well done on day 5. Take every day as it comes. Don’t worry about the food for now, concentrate on staying sober and the rest will fall into place when you get better. Maybe tackle one room per day. In a weeks time the place will look spotless and trust me it will make you feel better. My goal on Sunday which is my next day off is to sort out the garage. Going to take a van from work (work in car sales) and do a massive dump run to get rid of everything we no longer need!

Keep your head up and working hard. It gets easier
Yes, that's another plus. I get bigger type jobs done when sober. With a hangover it's impossible, even more so here as once it gets to late morning it's really hot now that summer has arrived.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hope you have a good day, Purina.

ReadyAtLast is right, don't compare yourself to others. Lots of people get a buzz after a few days and start going to the gym. For me that's crazy as I can't think of anything I'd less like to do. But whatever you end up doing, it's going to be great to have more to do it.
In terms of diet and your house. Again, just take it step by step. Maybe today just have a piece of fruit or something and don't worry if you continue with junk food for a couple of days, slowly move to more healthier stuff. As for your house, start with one small section, get that clean and have it as your sanctuary until you slowly get round to doing the rest.

Happy Friday!
Old 06-21-2019, 02:55 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Woo hoo I'm gonna see day 17, I made it through! Kebabs, knitting and Russell Peters did it..
Old 06-21-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

good one red

D
Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Can I join you please day 4 for me really need to do this forever now not going through another relapse
Old 06-21-2019, 03:35 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 6 here. Sleeping much better but still eating everything in sight. I'm really going to have to do something about that soon. Good to see you Santi.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi Eve. You've dropped into a good class. I'm hoping this is my last one.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 6 here. I woke up cranky that I have handyman here and have to work with him so early. I only got 5 hours of sleep.

I wish I could just focus on recovery and self-care but i have to work and the planet keeps on turning......And everyone (in my life) expects me to stay productive and take care of all these problems.

If I was in a rehab I would not have to worry about my work and I could just chain smoke cigarettes with the other druggies and gossip and complain.

I miss rehab =)

Have you noticed how the world expects us to work and to produce results and to handle our responsibilities? The world doesnt care that we are going thru our first week of clean time.

Handling your responsibilities and staying clean is expected behavior. I mean that our family and society expect that out of us.

Yikes! Time to grow up, guys. Im actually not being sarcastic. I was reflecting on the fact that in addictive addiction nobody expected much from me, I was seen as an immature ****-up by my family. And i think many times I have relapsed because I begin to panic about solving life's problems and society's expectations to be a WINNER and make alot of money and to build a beach-body at the gym and to "Keep up with the Joneses"

Its not easy to make this transition. Its one of my biggest challenges and the temptation is strong to just "Get drunk" and after that the only problem I have to worry about is "coming back". But that pattern is really getting old. I just hope I dont fall for the trap again.

I keep relapsing not just because i want to get high but I am scared about having to "perform" in life and being compared to others who are Winners in the game of life and i dont know how good i am going to perform compared to them.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purina View Post
Day 6 here. I woke up cranky that I have handyman here and have to work with him so early. I only got 5 hours of sleep.

I wish I could just focus on recovery and self-care but i have to work and the planet keeps on turning......And everyone (in my life) expects me to stay productive and take care of all these problems.

If I was in a rehab I would not have to worry about my work and I could just chain smoke cigarettes with the other druggies and gossip and complain.

I miss rehab =)

Have you noticed how the world expects us to work and to produce results and to handle our responsibilities? The world doesnt care that we are going thru our first week of clean time.

Handling your responsibilities and staying clean is expected behavior. I mean that our family and society expect that out of us.

Yikes! Time to grow up, guys. Im actually not being sarcastic. I was reflecting on the fact that in addictive addiction nobody expected much from me, I was seen as an immature ****-up by my family. And i think many times I have relapsed because I begin to panic about solving life's problems and society's expectations to be a WINNER and make alot of money and to build a beach-body at the gym and to "Keep up with the Joneses"

Its not easy to make this transition. Its one of my biggest challenges and the temptation is strong to just "Get drunk" and after that the only problem I have to worry about is "coming back". But that pattern is really getting old. I just hope I dont fall for the trap again.

I keep relapsing not just because i want to get high but I am scared about having to "perform" in life and being compared to others who are Winners in the game of life and i dont know how good i am going to perform compared to them.
I am very similar. When you are a drunk wandering around have no real worries or fear cause you have nothing to really lose. Building a life of responsibilities and having people count on you has been tough for me as well and still navigating it. I have been building up my mental and physical health a little bit each day instead of worrying about external stuff. If you are mentally and physically well there is nothing you can't do and things will start to happen naturally.

Last edited by Opivotal; 06-21-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I miss rehab =)

Self-awareness is a good thing. Sounds like you've done some thinking about the issues behind your using and have some good perspective. I know avoidance is an issue for me as well.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Day 42 i believe this will be my last class as well. So May and June! Started DBT by myself as I already knew some of the tools but have really starting using it in real time. Practice makes perfect. Working for someone who is absolutely crazy, I get to use these techniques every single day! Have said this before but amazed how bad my mental health was now that I am sober. Fixing it gradually just keep reminding myself that it is Day 42 and I need to be patient. Truly amazing how much progress I have already made. If this is a fraction of what is to come I am truly very excited!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I used to give good shares and good advice to people but now that I "fell off the wagon" nobody will be asking me for any advice for any time soon. You basically lose your reputation after a relapse and you are like a leper in the corner.
It really should not be that way seeing as most of those folks probably had a relapse or two before. I would not be going to the home group it it were me. You always have your june class here. We're behind you.

The start of my 12th day. Even though I feel good, even great, I feel a little better (cant quite put my finger on how). Ta hell with booze.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
It really should not be that way seeing as most of those folks probably had a relapse or two before. I would not be going to the home group it it were me. You always have your june class here. We're behind you.

The start of my 12th day. Even though I feel good, even great, I feel a little better (cant quite put my finger on how). Ta hell with booze.
It seems the 12 step fellowships only care about "stretches of clean time". If you have a slip you have to pick up a white chip and also they strip you of your coffee bar position or whatever other service position you held.

Its quite a disgrace this "public penance". Its a big reason why some people never come back to the rooms after a slip. And also at my home group they ask "Is there anyone in their first 30 days or just coming back" and you have to raise your hand and say "i have 8 days back, I have 9 days back" and so forth every day.

There is another group where you have to get a white chip EVERYDAY for 30 days (I guess this is to deflate the person's ego?)

But that public shaming style of approach really doesnt work for me. I think people need love and hugs when they come back, not to be shamed or humiliated.

"Sit down and shut up, newcomer. You dont know **** about how to stay sober. Just take the cotton out of your ears and stick it in your mouth. Your best thinking is what got you here. Just shut up and read the Big Book. Ok, did you finish the book? Read it again. Ok you read it 2 times? Now read it again.".
Old 06-21-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Oh gosh.....that is not my experience at all.....not one bit. s

I have gone back to the rooms over and over, and never received anything but love. Ever.

I am not sure where this is happening, but this is not the AA way.... s

Really....sounds like you have been to meetings where egos have taken over and members have forgotten the principles of the program. I would try a different meeting....you might be very pleasantly surprised....of course, if you ever want to I mean. s x
Old 06-21-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I tried to edit my last post to add this:

I went to the NA meeting that is my home group today and picked up a white keytag (chip). I had been going to other meetings (avoiding my home group) but finally made it back. I was ashamed to return.

I used to give good shares and good advice to people but now that I "fell off the wagon" nobody will be asking me for any advice for any time soon. You basically lose your reputation after a relapse and you are like a leper in the corner.

I wish I had never picked up that drink now. Even after 5 days sober I still am having to endure the consequences of having "gone out". In many different areas of my life i am getting the bad consequences of having relapsed.
I went to NA for years (in Australia)....and honestly, that never happened to me or anyone else. We never made anyone feel anything but welcome.

Maybe it's time for a different meeting. It is upsetting that anyone would ever make you feel this way. s

And hey....you got a huge load of laundry done, you are sober and off the smokes? That is kind of sensational. Give yourself a pat on the back....

You are doing really well dear Purina. s
Old 06-21-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Day 16 just finished work, it's Friday and my brain is screaming to get a glass of wine! It's coming up with all sorts of things, hopefully I will get through this aarrrgghhh
I hope you got through dear Red. s xx
Old 06-21-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
The first week for me was eat anything I want when I want and each week I have slightly improved my diet and feeling great. Baby steps can't do everything at once. This place still looks like Chernobyl if humans still occupied it. Hopefully it is the PAWS keeping me up and not some form of radiation poisoning

You are so funny. s
Old 06-21-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zombie79 View Post
Start of day 11. Up at 6, shower, walk the dog, made breakfast. This is now my routine and it's great!
Fitness has gone up another point on my Fitbit scale. I was averaging a resting heart rate of 88bpm, down to 73 bpm so I'm really happy. Means I'm not putting my heart under so much stress. Plus I've noticed my skin looks far less hectic. I used to look at the colour of my hands after I'd gone for a walk and to me, they were red and blotchy. Now they look a lot less red. So hopefully my face looks even better! I've noticed my skin isn't as dry either- before my arms always had dry skin, probably from alcohol dehydrating me. Now my face and arms are a lot less dry and feel a lot softer.
In general as well, my mood has improved too. I'm learning to appreciate a lot more things and I don't miss how I was 11days ago. I wasn't living, I was as if have put it 'on automatic'- I wasn't really enjoying anything,I was living to just get drunk and black out and that's not a life I want to return to.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Oh!!! How wonderful to have your good skin and health return, and to SEE the results of life without alcohol.

So good to hear how happy you are.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Morning all
Purina, please don't compare yourself to others. Do what you must, eat what you need to and rest as much as you need to to stay sober

i feel like I've been hit by a truck this morning but that's cos I had no sugar yesterday and the headache has kicked in. Truly it's worse than a hangover headache.

Have a good day everyone
Hope you feel better love. s

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Woo hoo I'm gonna see day 17, I made it through! Kebabs, knitting and Russell Peters did it..
Awesome!!!!! ♥