Notices

24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 445

Old 06-05-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

I had a doctors appointment today. I’ve been honest with him about my drinking problem in the past. My blood pressure was a little high so, he asked me if I had any beers to drink last night. I told him that I hadn’t had a drink in close to three months. His reply was , “Well good that way you can afford to buy the good stuff instead of the cheap stuff”. I’m a little pissed off by that response and, find it pretty unprofessional. Maybe it’s time to find a new doctor.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hmmm......kind of agree. If anyone other than a doctor said it, I would think to myself....ok.....doesn't understand Alcoholism at all....but a doctor? Err no. Yes love, time for a different doctor. I think so anyway. ♥♥
Old 06-05-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Bailey I had a similar experience with a psychologist. Actually multiple times where she mentioned having a drink to relax after a tough day, despite me having told her I had stopped drinking altogether because alcohol was a problem for me and I drank way too much. I couldn’t handle her repeated references to drinking as a solution, so I decided to find someone else who I felt understood
Old 06-05-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
You might like to listen to some speaker tapes? A lot of us AAers love them.

I think I am allowed to post this link.....if not, Dee will take it out later on. s

6000 AA Speakers and Tapes
Thanks for sharing Suze. I’ve never been into listening to audio (or watching TV for that matter) but just listened to an hour (the spiritual malady and depression). It might just be a real turning point for me. I need to do some yoga and think more deeply about things. Thank you
Old 06-05-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Wow, Bailey. I would expect a positive affirmative statement, or at least a neutral nod. There is no denying that alcohol is very damaging to your body and mind. There are plenty of hard-drinking docs out there, and kinda like it is with most everyone else..sober is generally better. If you’re uncomfortable and he’s not some kind of incredible for other medical reasons..well, that may be reason enough!

Congratulations on 3 months

Red
Old 06-05-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

By weighing up the pros and cons of today's activities first thing I am better placed to face that A.V. along with other negative and disruptive voices--
Old 06-05-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone's milestones and success on here!!

I am always eager to wind down in the evenings and read all the posts. What a great family unit !!!

I will take another 24 hours please.

Have a blessed evening. 🤗

7:45pm EST
Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bailey3 View Post
I had a doctors appointment today. I’ve been honest with him about my drinking problem in the past. My blood pressure was a little high so, he asked me if I had any beers to drink last night. I told him that I hadn’t had a drink in close to three months. His reply was , “Well good that way you can afford to buy the good stuff instead of the cheap stuff”. I’m a little pissed off by that response and, find it pretty unprofessional. Maybe it’s time to find a new doctor.
Odd! Alcohol is alcohol, irrespective of the cost or label. He sounds a bit elitist--
Old 06-05-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Checking in for my 24.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Sweet dreams my friends
Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

24 please

badge
Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I’ve to admit Bailey, that I chuckled @ his response. I just switched docs today & this guy was talking very well bout my situations & didn’t have a condescending attitude! Gave me an alternate(word I’d never heard before in medicine) in addition to regular pain med. Praying I’ll work Fri plus working on some prospects
24 mo
Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I'm checking in for my next 24!

Bobbi
Old 06-05-2019, 10:23 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Magsie

SweetPea, that’s great news on your short break with your husband. Enjoy yourselves, there’s some beautiful gardens with those homes isn’t there. It’s amazing what doors open with sobriety.

24 more here too please
6.23am Thursday

Congratulations to all celebrating their soberversaries

Congratulations to everyone sober.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Doctors with the attitudes Bailey and Willow describe don't make this battle any easier. Even if the doctors find it difficult to relate, surely they must have been taught about alcoholism? Surely that must have been mentioned at medical school? Imagine telling someone with a serious nut allergy that the avoidance of cheap nuts will allow the patient to afford expensive nuts? Who cares about the value? It's still nuts! Total nuts.

Not sure whether it's the forest air or the stillness and quiet but I'm having the most vivid dreams here in the forest. Last night I dreamt that I was at a crowded port and everyone was clamouring to get on board a ship. There were thousands of people all screaming and pushing, I wasn't sure why but everyone wanted to get on the ship. I didn't think I would get on but then suddenly someone pulled me on board. This person told me I didn't have a cabin, I'd have to sleep on the deck but I didn't care. I was so relieved to be on board. As the ship sailed away, I could hear people on the land shouting and crying .... They still desperately wanted to get on the ship. I put my hands over my ears .... I couldn't bear to listen. I felt so guilty that I was on the ship. And so grateful. Then I woke up.

I'm no dream expert but I reckon the ship is sobriety. It isn't always a comfortable and easy journey but it's far preferable to being left behind. And what about the people left behind? I don't want to cover my ears in real life. I want to go back for them. I want to help. Because when I was on the ship, there was loads of space for others. So I didn't understand why they were left behind. I want to turn the ship around. I'm just not sure how. I think about people I've known here. People I connected with. People I never hear from anymore. I pray they're ok. I know that many use SR as a support and then go on to live happy sober lives and no longer feel any need to check in. I know that. I also know that if I started drinking again, I'd disappear from this site. I know I can only focus on my sobriety, my recovery. But that doesn't stop me thinking about others. And sending them all of my love and support. 24 more for me please xxx
Old 06-06-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

24 more, thanks
Old 06-06-2019, 01:18 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

24 for me, please
Old 06-06-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

24 more hours please 😊
Old 06-06-2019, 01:46 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

On the recovery ship with Kenton + friends for another 24