Notices

Class of May 2019 Part 2

Old 05-26-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Have never been there but just googled it and it is no longer. Was this the bouncer? Actor Vin Diesel once worked as a bouncer at Tunnel according to wiki ha
what a coincidence, I too checked it out.

seems like it was either hip hop night or gay night. All good.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Have never been there but just googled it and it is no longer. Was this the bouncer? Actor Vin Diesel once worked as a bouncer at Tunnel according to wiki ha
I don't think so, the bouncers were darker and seemed taller and bulkierand it was in 1998-99 that time. But now it's dawned on me why there were unisex washrooms. They were real nice too with a fountain at the center and lots of huge mirrors.
Those were good times.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know its a long weekend for a lot of people.
Hows everyone doing recovery wise?

D
Old 05-26-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know its a long weekend for a lot of people.
Hows everyone doing recovery wise?

D
Day 42.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

sorry about the typos and pic doubles, seems like I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. 😜

oh and it would've been 1998 according to my math (and I was never good at math either lol).
Old 05-26-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
Hi everbody!

How's Sunday going for everyone?

5upersonic, Be123, ReadyAtLast , Hopingwishing. Well done for getting through the first few days. For me, just thinking about getting through one day at a time worked well. That way you do it in small chunks and can feel good at the end of each day when you go to bed sober and then even better when you wake up without a hangover.

Bob. How was the graduation party? I hope you had fun. Sounds pretty hot there! In Madrid it's a nice sunny day today and we're getting up to 28 degrees which I think is 82 in your system.

Caprice. I missed it! In fact I got home at about 1.30am, just when the game must have been starting but didn't logon here. I had a quiet night (1.30am sounds late, but here it isn't), just a bit of pizza in a great Italian place near where I live and a couple of drinks, non-alcoholic beer for me and wine for my friends. With that drinks pattern now set, it's becoming to feel normal. I had a lot of fun. In fact I normally enjoy myself when I go out with friends, whether I drink or not, which makes me wonder why I always go back to it. I think I'm just too stubborn and can't accept that there's something in my life that I can't control, something that I can't beat. In reality I need to change the way I look at it. I think I'm starting to understand that I don't need to beat it, I just need to walk away from it.

Anyway, back to basketball!! I was a bit confused at first, because you've spoken about Raptors and Dinosaurs and then I googled Toronto Raptors and saw the symbol of the team and so the Dinosaurs bit made sense!! I've just watched the hightlights on YouTube. Very dramatic! I can just imagine the buzz in the streets after the game!!!!

Ah, as we are all talking about ages, my turn. The 27 in Santi27 unfortunately isn't my age but the year I was born. No!!! Not 1927, I was born in 1972 and put 72 in reverse. I'm 47 next month. I've not been tempted by Botox, I thought I'd see how I look at 50! Haahahah! Though from what you say, it doesn't sound good. Anyway, the fact that we are not drinking alcohol means that we are more hydrated and that is good for the skin. Staying alcohol free is better than having botox.

It's been a quiet day for me today. I went out to vote this morning and am now looking at invoices and receipts to get ready to do my annual tax return. Not the most interesting thing, but the sooner I do it, the sooner I'll get any refund that the government owes me!
Santi, I actually never had concerns about my damn forehead lines when I force frown or my mid brow (nose ridge) section or even knew what crows feet were! It was so useless, money down the drain cuz I don't actually look that old to begin with. I cared more about the laugh lines a bit and that would've taken collagen which is $600 plus tax (13%)/injection! not $300, which is still crazy to begin with imo. I couldn't do that x4 and it's not even lasting (6 months). On my next social media dating profile I'll have to put down looking for Plastic Surgeon Doctor. 😜 I googled and they look like wax as well.
I kinda regret that non date and being an ass, he was in his mid 30's and witty and all with a decent job, but I guess I wasn't ready. Wish it hadn't cost me as much for nothing.

The Raptors were actually once dinosaurs -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor

Ha, and to think that they were no bigger than "TURKEYS" and that those or that (owner) baffoon(s) probably relied on the movie Jurassic Park where the Raptors are big as Tyrannosaurs Rex ,instead of fact.
Baffoons probably cuz the name has to be approved by the board of committee (other team owners) and commissioner.

Did you know that the NHL Golden Knights were initially supposed to be called the Black Knights? I think the race sensitivity can become overblown. We all know what a black knight is, right? Soon they'll declare the game of chess and racist.

Anyway back to non invasive plastic surgery (not under the knife) I think that balance is key but I guess when you work in it you start seeing yourself overly critically and over do it thinking it looks better.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well, I'm kinda still in mid life crisis and don't know if I'll ever recover.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Morning all. Thanks willow for sharing that and encouraging me

86 hours sober with an early wake up today. Terrible Head ache but again slept remarkably well.

Im going away with my wife and kids today. My resolve is weak and I have little confidence in my long term success, so all I can do is not drink today. Even I can do that, go to bed sober tonight.

I’m driving to the airport for 3pm and fly at 5.40. That period there will be the one where I need to not take the first drink. My plan is that if I feel like drinking in that time I’ll eat; I’ll post on here; and/or I’ll take myself off by myself to give myself five minutes before buying the drink. To give myself a bit of breathing space.

In the past I’ve started feeling physically better days 4-6 so have then thought it could drink again. Will probably happen to me today and I’ve got no real control over it so I’m just not going to take the first one, let everything else run it’s course.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Morning all
Have a good holiday Be123. I went on holiday for a week in February with my son, stayed sober and honestly it was one of the best times we've ever had, I came back feeling really refreshed and uplifted, rather than hungover and tired. Of course, there were difficult moments but,like you, I ate and did anything to distract myself too.

Day 2 here, feel like I've been hit by a truck. Feel like i've got a hangover but relieved I haven't,
Old 05-26-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Im going away with my wife and kids today. My resolve is weak and I have little confidence in my long term success, so all I can do is not drink today. Even I can do that, go to bed sober tonight.
I hope you can find the resolve to do that every day Be. Don't give any quarter. I really believe our addiction is as strong as we let it be,

D,
Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi all, it's day 8 here.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Tomorrow marks day 10!! I write to you from my bed, in the dark, back to back with my sleeping toddler, and in this moment i am so happy. I’m finally far away enough from that last drink that i feel normal and my natural optimism has set in. There’s no bs this time, i simply dont want to lose this feeling. As a rule: no more nights out for me, nothing good ever happens past 10pm for me, anyone who threatens my sobriety must be kindly put on hold, mute, or somehow distanced. I don’t have to advertise my addiction but i do have to be willing to engage with other addicts and do what it takes not just to not drink, but to be a happy and grateful sober chick. Other things in my sober plan: read sobriety related readings, gym, pray, notice when im in that “i wish i could drink” mentality and come be honest on SR, do some writing and meditating on the steps, write out and remember how drink causes severe panic, insomnia, out of my head feelings, and leads to other life risking choices for me!!

goodnight all
Old 05-27-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 5 here. Just read about a lot of good stuff in this class. Hope everyone has a good day. And in the US, a thoughtful Memorial Day.

The lady Gators won yesterday and are off to the College World Series in Oklahoma starting this Thursday!

Good for you LLG! You too 5upersonic! Hope you feel better soon Ready! You can do it Be!
Old 05-27-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Rainy Days and Mondays

It's day 17 for me! I am feeling better and looking better. It's amazing what alcohol does to our faces. I drove the 8 hours home yesterday from vacation (left my DH and dear dog there, lol) so arrived tired and stressed from the travel. Thankfully, no wine in the house so I made it through the night. Today is Memorial Day and a cloudy overcast one so I'm going to use the weather as license to lounge around. Back to the job and real life tomorrow. Congrats to all of us for another 24 hours. Thank you especially Willow for your encouraging post about looking past this 24 to 365 days!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me, had so many msgs asking me to go to the pub to watch a football match, probably one of my biggest enviromental triggers. Ive declined and said im busy. I very nearly feel back to normal as the last of the withdrawal clouds start to fade away to, so no way am I giving in now!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ben19 View Post
Day 3 for me, had so many msgs asking me to go to the pub to watch a football match, probably one of my biggest enviromental triggers. Ive declined and said im busy. I very nearly feel back to normal as the last of the withdrawal clouds start to fade away to, so no way am I giving in now!
I have found over these last days that I absolutely have to force myself to stay busy, busy, busy. I was home alone for almost the first week of my journey. My social drinking husband went ahead of me to the beach for vacation - I had to work another week before leaving to join him and returned yesterday ahead of him. I found even the mundane (and boring) tasks kept me focused. Do you exercise? I've gotten reacquainted with my treadmill while at home (just finished a 2 mile walk/run and anticipate another these evening "about cocktail hour"). Keep it up! I can tell you that day 17 feels better than day 3 did for me.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Day 2, rotten headache. Just pushing on through.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Congrats to all on your day counts

Ending day 2 that horrible time when you know you won't get any sleep.Day 3 will probably be worse and I've got work tomorrow.Lucky to have the day off today as a bank holiday in the UK.

Still better to wake up sober and tired than hungover. Looking on the positive side of things.

I need to start exercising Katlin. When I was sober before I would get up early and go on the x trainer for 1/2 hour. set me up for the day. i will get back to it.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Thanks! We finally have a full sunny day around these parts, we were due.

I remember going to NYC and Central Park and a club called "The Tunnel." Does it still exist?That night, unbeknownst to us 5 skinny white kids, it was hip hop black people night. We never looked so out of place, but I was 19 (the youngest of the group and underaged ) and only one who didn't get asked for my ID (I breezed by like I owned the place, what a relief to get pass) by these both male and female 6'5 bouncers. We did get strip searched though for weapons and/or drugs.
Oh, there was one guy with us that was half black and well enough built. I'd pretend and say, "I'm with him." when shown interest, and he'd signal and pretend he didn't know me and say "nooo." Iol, it was a crazy night.
It was one of the best times I recall going there overall. Had a lot of fun.
You went to "The Tunnel"? I have heard about it. I was in the Toronto rave scene in my younger days. I would go to crazy after-hours places to hear DJ's. Most are shut down and were demolished and condominiums went up
Old 05-27-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day 17 here. First day so far that I have not passed out to take afternoon nap ha. Hopefully this is the start of a new trend!
Old 05-27-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

That's great newbeginning. Hopefully you have more energy now

Your plan sounds good LLG

Day 3. Slept better than I expected last night though had terrible night sweats.sorry if tmi But I feel a but refreshed and better than yesterday so on with the day.

Have a good day everyone.