SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year & Over Part 68 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/438313-one-year-over-part-68-a.html)

Treerat66 05-26-2019 12:12 AM

Good morning Overs.

My daughters team lost 1 - 2. A good score, three years ago the score against that team was 8 - 1. That was the last game.

We have gentle rain this morning.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

FBL 05-26-2019 03:48 AM

We've finally got some warm weather around these parts (80F and humid), but also plenty of rain. Everything sure looks nice and green! Hopefully the rain will hold off for my Sunday morning nature walk.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!

feeling-good 05-26-2019 04:22 AM

Hi Overs!

Yesterday was our local area's 1 day convention (AA) - I was helping out on registrations and showing a few new-ish members how to do this part of service. I gave lifts to and from the event and, you know what, even though I am really busy right now with life / work, it felt sooo good to do this and to take time to truly celebrate the massive gift of sobriety.

I also type up and email out a daily reading to a small group of fellow members from my home group (usually at about 6.30am, lol!) and have done so for the last few months - again, something small in service that I do, but it really helps me as well.

Lastly, I am literature secretary for two groups, and have managed to acquire some helpful items for some group members (recordings of the Big Book and Living Sober, spoken by everyday folks from the UK) with sight / reading issues - again, small thing to do, but grateful of the help it has given others.

Anyway, today is a good day and it is only a good day because I have arrested the disease of alcoholism a day at a time. I intend to continue this day in day out for the remainder of my life.

:grouphug:

Mags1 05-26-2019 04:42 AM

FG :You_Rock_

Saskia 05-26-2019 04:51 AM

FG, sobriety is an incredible gift and you are sharing it with others :grouphug:

Itchy, I just did a very quick read of the high-altitude training article and found it fascinating. I never cease to marvel at just how adaptable the human body is.

Andy, sounds like your daughter’s team made good progress!

Have a lovely day, Overs.

venuscat 05-26-2019 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by feeling-good (Post 7192041)
Hi Overs!

Yesterday was our local area's 1 day convention (AA) - I was helping out on registrations and showing a few new-ish members how to do this part of service. I gave lifts to and from the event and, you know what, even though I am really busy right now with life / work, it felt sooo good to do this and to take time to truly celebrate the massive gift of sobriety.

I also type up and email out a daily reading to a small group of fellow members from my home group (usually at about 6.30am, lol!) and have done so for the last few months - again, something small in service that I do, but it really helps me as well.

Lastly, I am literature secretary for two groups, and have managed to acquire some helpful items for some group members (recordings of the Big Book and Living Sober, spoken by everyday folks from the UK) with sight / reading issues - again, small thing to do, but grateful of the help it has given others.

Anyway, today is a good day and it is only a good day because I have arrested the disease of alcoholism a day at a time. I intend to continue this day in day out for the remainder of my life.

:grouphug:

This is just beautiful. :)
As Mags said, you rock dear FG. :) :hug: ♥♥

PhoenixJ 05-26-2019 04:18 PM

great post FG

Itchy 05-26-2019 08:34 PM

Memorial Day

Begun in 1866 to honor Civil War Combatants, it was later expanded to honor all brave men and women who served this country in all wars, and paid the ultimate price.

Between cookouts, picnics, vacations and sales, Memorial Day may be losing its meaning! Please take one minute, at 3 PM local time on Memorial Day to Remember and honor those brave men and women, who paid the piper that we may dance.

A Day to Remember
By Itchy under my real name

They gave their all, their lives, and the futures they held dear,
They left behind a legacy of sadness and of tears.
A folded flag, the sound of Taps, the pride mixed in their leaving,
With heads held high, and tears in eye, the loved ones still are grieving.
Remember them.

Went in harm's way, so young, and they never will grow older,
Leaving memories, and pictures, citations in a folder.
They left their sons, their little girls, to grow up wondering why,
Their daddy that they loved so well, went off to war to die.
Remember them.

For some it changed, and mother, was the casualty of war,
The arms that hugged them never would again, forevermore.
Yet all were sons and daughters, and left behind an ache,
In the hearts of those, whose turn should come, before their children's wake.
Remember them.

They rest in peace, some say, and who am I to doubt it?
The higher purpose it was served, the enemy was routed.
Some came home, some never went, some only watched the news,
But they will never hold their child, or argue current views.
Remember them

It wasn't meant, in leaving, when they all marched off to war,
That we'd be left without them, from the cannon's deadly roar.
I'm sure that they, would rather, have been here for all of us,
But someone had to fight those wars, someone pay the cost.
Remember them

At 3 PM, this Monday, my flag will fly half mast,
As all across the nation, floats the somber sound of Taps.
It's only for one minute, or maybe three or four,
In grief, I will remember, those who died in every war.

© Itchy / my real name 2002

Taps and Amazing Grace can be downloaded here to play at 3PM on Memorial Day local time for a national moment of remembrance:
Download TAPS

How to observe Memorial Day
How to Observe Memorial Day

Itchy 05-26-2019 09:22 PM

FG,
Great post from an admirable member of Overs. You go girl!

Mags and Sassy,
Skiers go from sea level to sometimes 9-10,000 feet and exert ourselves to the max. I've never had altitude sickness from above sea level, nor nitrogen narcosis or "the bends" from diving below sea level. I agree the human body can stand severe stress and adapt. I get out of breath just walking there now but won't later.

I drove back to Louisiana to keep the place neat until I sell it, and the grass was already getting tall. Spent all day mowing and weed eating the edges. 90 and stiflingly humid today with bright sun. We both despise the weather here, love it in the Rockies. Cool and dry. At that altitude the snow not in shade melts and dries the same or next day. Exhilarating for the sober. I'm sleeping on a foam topper on the floor. Thank goodness our A/C is like new. I'll sell the diesel Ram truck, the HHR, RV, and tractor as fast as I can and be very negotiable - whatever it takes to get out of here soonest.

Sorry about the loss Andy, but great they are much improved.

Night all.

Mags1 05-26-2019 09:25 PM

Morning Overs

Itchy, beautiful poem, and so true.

A bit cooler here today, the sun showed her face yesterday evening after a rainy on off day, hopefully it will be nicer today.

Mr.Mags got the grass cut on Saturday though and finished putting the tumbler tomato plants in the hangers outside, looking forward to those when they grow!

Have a good day my friends. :)

Dee74 05-26-2019 09:28 PM

Thanks as always Itchy - and thanks to all other veterans :)

Hope it's good weather mags:)

D

Treerat66 05-27-2019 01:04 AM

Good morning Overs.

Sunny morning here.

Have a good day everyone.

stargazer016 05-27-2019 04:47 AM

Beautiful poem Itchy and thanks for a career of service to the country.

Have a good day all!

Saskia 05-27-2019 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by stargazer016 (Post 7192682)
Beautiful poem Itchy and thanks for a career of service to the country.

Have a good day all!

SG, my sentiments exactly so I will simply echo you!

Mags1 05-27-2019 09:57 PM

Morning Overs

Another wet morning here, hope it brightens up later!

Hope it’s a good day for everybody xx

Treerat66 05-27-2019 11:24 PM

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.

Saskia 05-28-2019 04:54 AM

Have a lovely day, Overs!

stargazer016 05-28-2019 08:50 AM

Enjoy the day everyone!

Itchy 05-28-2019 08:09 PM

YW guys!

I hope all the Overs have a great week!

Treerat66 05-28-2019 11:17 PM