Notices

Class of May 2018 Part 5

Old 05-05-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I had that feeling too Manta, sometimes I can't quite believe I've made it this far but I/we have!

Well done everyone!
Old 05-05-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Manta, I see your posts on the site and, and they are clear and helpful to me and to others. You certainly have taken this voyage as seriously as anyone in our class. It will be great to celebrate, all of us, as we pass by that one year mark. I am glad that you popped in to visit with us.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm putting this in a separate post, as it's completely unrelated in all ways to saying hello to Manta and to how I feel about where I stand this morning in relation to my own journey of not drinking.

After reading a post suggesting to somebody that they consider rational recovery as a path toward living without alcohol, I went to that site and read about their philosophy. I came away shaken by what is suggested there about the idea of recovery groups as being detrimental to the individual and to society. It seemed so black and white, framing the whole process of being either a moral or an immoral act.

Some things are either/or, we drink or we do not. But to think that I could have gotten to where I was today without a community is unimaginable to me. And to think that I was jeopardizing my own behavior by being in one left me with my AV alone. All sorts of other negative thoughts came into my mind, putting me into my unsettled world. I wanted a drink!

I share this here, 1) because I wanted a drink; and 2) because I don't want to start a general thread about the merits of rational recovery. Ultimately I do frame my recovery (and I use that word intentionally, as it's a broad-spectrum way of describing what I do now) as being moral decisions based on life but not on my own worth. SR practice is not to debate different systems that people follow to get to where they need to be, although that does come up loosely around here, sometimes even in direct statements.

This was the strongest feeling I have had about having a drink in a long time, predicated by reading something that suggests that I was a failed person in addiction.

I had to express my thoughts somewhere, and here is the safest place to do it. Now I am feeling okay again, I shut that AV down when I realized what I was doing, and some distance from the reading leaves me on firm ground. It just goes to say, there can be things out there that will challenge us in ways we do not expect, and we just have to use what we know works for us to get past them.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Greetings fellow travelers and sobernauts.

Well, I made it to one year. Wasn’t totally sure that I would, but today makes it a done deal. I feel so much better in myself and have lost almost 14 lbs without any other dietary changes other than deleting alcohol from my life.

Keep keeping the faith chaps and chapesses. You can do it.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

That's fantastic, congratulations Solly!

I think you're the first in the class to reach a year, you should be very proud of yourself
Old 05-05-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Huge congrats Solly!!! xx
Old 05-05-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Well done, Solly! I think you gave those 14 lbs to me, LOL, but I've started to work on that, too. It's awesome to see people in our class reporting in, "Yes, I've made it".
Old 05-05-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Congrats Solly!!
Old 05-05-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

23 more days until my one year
Old 05-07-2019, 12:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hello, my friends.

Obviously my head was swirling with thoughts the other day. My mind often is full of many ideas, and I wish that it was more ordered on a daily basis. My internet based class is giving me something to zero in on a little bit, but sometimes emotion drives how we perceive things. Being sober certainly helps.

My mom has been ill the past few days, and she may go to the hospital tomorrow to get checked out. Her health problems that she has are complicated beyond what the regular docs in town feel like taking up during office hours (!), so they always say to her to go to the ER. She may need some special x-rays done to see if she has a complication in her small intestine going on that can get pretty serious from time to time. So, later today I may be over there to confer with the doctors and her about what to do.

Things are much slower at work, but I am enjoying that change in pace more than less.

I ate too much cake yesterday for my diet, but I will do better with things on that front today and continue to do my walking.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!!!!!
it is 4 days until my one year of changing my life for good.

i went away with my husband this past weekend to a nice resort called nemacolin. It was amazing and alcohol free. Which is a lot different compared to the last time we were there and I had vodka hidden in my purse.

i don’t post as much as I would like. So I just want to say hi and congrats to all of you... since I am not here daily.

Willow
free
john
mantra
solly
guener
getting closer
anyone I forgot (sorry)
congrats, be proud of all your hard work and dedication!

bumble
Old 05-07-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

That’s so cool bumble!

Boy we do not want to go back to the way we were post first few days and weeks .....

They were so brutal. And we did it! And we are doing it!

I know I never wanna go back there… It is a dark and evil place for our bodies and our souls.

Congratulations in advance
Old 05-07-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Guener, I’m sorry your mom is ill and I hope they can find whatever is wrong with her and help her feel better soon. I’m glad work is slowing down for you because you can keep that up

When is your when your anniversary date?
Old 05-08-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Super news on your trip, Bumblebee! What a change this time has brought to taking a break from it all. Who knows what other nice retreats may await you in the future?

My Mom did go into the hospital last night, I found out too late to get out to the remote area where she lives to bring her into town. I got a call last night from some friends of hers who took her in, and she has an intestinal blockage. It's something she gets from time to time but that can be serious if not watched, so I'm not sure what is going to happen today or tomorrow if things do not improve. I'm hoping she will not end up having to have any surgery. Ugh.

My sobriety date is the 15th, a week from today, and one day following Willow. But Willow is a day ahead of us, so that will be coming up very shortly after Bumblebee. Crazy days with anniversary dates throughout the month!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your mom is ok and back home soon Guener

D
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I’m very excited about our one year anniversary’s to!

Feeling really stressed and kind of terrible. I think I have a urinary tract infection. We have an app and you and then do United States now called Doctors on demand and they trade it in for $10 which is super cheap I talk to a Doctor Who prescribed some antibiotics and I was able to get to them before the pharmacy closed. Feeling really stressed and kind of terrible. I think I have a urinary tract infection. We have an app and you and then do United States now called Doctors on demand and they trade it in for $10 which is super cheap I talk to a Doctor Who prescribed some antibiotics and I was able to get to them before the pharmacy closed.

I’m going to cancel the contract with the people that are trying to buy my house they are trying to nickel and dime me and it’s just not going to happen. I found out I have radon in my home and I need to get a mitigation system installed.

So here’s hoping we all get a good nights sleep or have a great day —whatever timeslot you’re in on this wonderful planet.

On Friday I fly back home to put all of my things into a truck and shlep them to Western America. I’ll be driving a 26 foot truck and I think it’s going to be very scary over the mountain range
Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you have all that going on Free. Hope better days are ahead

D
Old 05-08-2019, 09:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

It sounds like we are on a bit of a parallel track, Free.

I'm fighting a fungal infection that I got thanks to the Humira I take for Crohn's that disrupts my immune system. So, it's some prescriptions for a month to combat that, to aid my body in getting better. That app method of contacting a doctor is a good idea for handling simple things that don't require a doctor's visit but just some understanding of what's going on that is common: I have one, too, but haven't tried the app out yet but may in the future if it works out to be just a verbal check-in for something. Technology is interesting in the way it rolls out to new things.

My contract possibility for overtime fell through. The faculty members got their grant, but no money for me was approved. Still, I will get to work on the project some starting this summer/fall, and I'm happy about that. I have to keep looking for other funding options for me. On the house, for your case, Free, I'm sure that you will get it resolved to your satisfaction, too.

I had to drive a truck and trailer over the mountains to move somebody, and it's a little daunting but eminently doable with just some focus. The truck you will be driving will be fine, as will you, just take it carefully and don't worry about where you are but what you are doing. When you get to the other side, pat yourself on the back for doing the crossing!

I think my mom is going to be released from the hospital tomorrow, and I can take her home to finish her recovery. Relief. I will be out there for a visit on Mother's day over the weekend to keep an eye on her, too.

I fell asleep after dinner and getting home from the hospital today, so I'll likely pay by being up a lot this night, but that's okay.

Wishing everyone great days ahead!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks Guener!

Bowel obstruction can be very terrible so I’m glad that your mom is on the mend and that you are able to help her especially this very meaningful weekend

Sorry about your contract at work but that must mean a better door is opening for you. Let’s get some sleep!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, sorry I’ve been a bit absent lately, just so busy!

Guener I hope your Mum makes a speedy recovery ❤️ I was thinking about what you said a few days ago and my thoughts are that we all have to approach recovery in our own individual way. What works for one or some doesn’t necessarily work for others. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way, and we all just do what we need to do to stay sober. For me, SR has been a Godsend. I had been trying to stop drinking for ages unsuccessfully. SR got me on track

Free I hope the antibiotics have you feeling a lot better very soon! UTI’s can make you feel so awful, get better soon ❤️

Congratulations Solly!

Wow, it’s aMAYzing that we’re all the way around back to May!

Well done everyone