Notices

Class of September 2018 Part 5

Old 04-01-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Never got to level 10. Usually started drinking at level 7.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Urge Surfing is good

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 04-02-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Bumboid, for me visiting a place that would bring up heavy emotions (concentration camps ect...) might not be the best thing in early recovery. I'm trying to keep things light, even that trip on Oct to see my mom was pushing the envelope a little...for me. Try to keep things low key, and while seeing old friends is enjoyable, do you think that was a factor in your picking up again? Maybe it would be a good idea to connect with yourself, before you try to connect with old friends, that drink.

dunno
Old 04-02-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I didn't sleep well last night, otherwise things are well.
Having a restful day.
I got a spot in a group I had been interested in taking at the CBT, therapy, and counselling place I attend.
Like everywhere else it seems, they are under funded ,so I'm happy this group is a go and I have a place!
Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I couldn't fall asleep last night, I was trying to recall the times I had an extremely strong urge, and didn't pick up a drink.

I am looking for ways to invalidate the irritational thought and feeling that a strong urge that lasts for days or week etc. will not go away without a drink, and I can recall at least two vivid recollections.

I will use these as a tool.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I mention "logic" to also emphasize how irrational our alcohol addiction is. When we can logically understand why drinking is so bad for us but the AV is convincing us otherwise (urges) the best thing to do is take action. Go for a brisk walk of bike ride. Runaround your house. Drop and do push ups. Go bowling. Whatever pops in your mind just do it and push thru the cravings. And play the tape thru. The ending is always the same. It's a boring movie.

Not sure it'd a good idea to use a selfie as an avatar Bumboid. Someone may recognize you.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lol
Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It's a beautiful sunny day here in AZ. 80 degrees, a nice breeze, and a day off for me. Going to lay in my hammock and read. Gosh the sober life is grand....

Old 04-03-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Got in a good 10 miles today then hosted dinner for my family. Turned out to be a nice day. Can't believe I used to waste these days getting drunk instead of living in them.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Howdy peeps! Wrapping up another long day.

So, kind of funny. I do so much for my family and work to see them be well and do well that I spend very little on myself. Never buy myself cloths or treat myself really. But I purchased a 2004 4x4 Toyota pick up a few months ago as my grocery getter. Found it very fun to drive and learned they are very popular amongst "off roaders". So I started playing with it. Added some suspension components, lifted it a little. Then I researched and ordered nice custom wheels and off road tires. They arrived today and couldn't wait to get them on. It looks so bad ass! I'm like a teenager with this thing. My son and I went for a quick joy ride and it was awesome! Sent a picture of the truck with wheels and tires set up on it to my wife with the caption "well, it's no Corvette, but it is MY mid life crisis truck".
One of my friends asked if it was for my son.... I told him, "Hell No! This is daddy's Toy"

Gave me a good chuckle and made me feel good inside. Can't wait to take it camping.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That's so great Final! Good for YOU! I imagine there is going to be many fun times for you ahead
Old 04-05-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Went swimming last night at the gym and did laps in the pool, sat in the sauna for a long time.
Felt really good and slept really well.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Wow, we are really on the right track! I'm so proud of our accomplishments and milestones.
Bumboid, take the rest you need and make a plan for the next time some old chaps want to hang out...maybe you could suggest a group bike ride....show em how it's done!
Final, I used to go off roading in the mountains when I lived in Colorado. I can still remember how it made me feel like a kid again, the feeling of freedom and yep...a little bad ass!
Hopeful, I need to follow in your footsteps with some evening exercise! I sit on the couch after a long day of work, but now I'm thinking a nice relaxing swim is in order!

Ben...I hope your still hanging around somewhere on SR. If so, don't be shy about checking in here, we stand beside you, no matter what is going on, and we're still saving a seat on the sober bus for you!

Hi Dee!!
Old 04-05-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend gang

D
Old 04-05-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Forecast in the 60's for the next few days. Gonna be beautiful.

Wasn't someone whining recently about the long winter and cold, dark days? Think it was Bumboid.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Played golf yesterday with a couple buddies. They drank, I did not. I still enjoyed my day and we seem to be at a point where they have accepted that I no longer do.
Afterwards, we all got together with our families for an outdoor fire pit. My wife met up with her sister fir " lunch" (an order of mozzarella sticks and glasses of wine) then went to our niece's birthday. She was pretty drunk when she got home and continued to drink at the get together ( more wine). My sister in law is the one that becomes incoherent by 8 pm every night. We left at 10pm, and I'm up early to take advantage of another beautiful weekend day. I made it very clear to my wife that I will not interact with her when she is drunk but she was angry with me any way. I'm sure she won't remember this morning and doubt she will be out of bed before noon.

I don't miss it.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm up early too final, so glad I'm not stuck in bed nursing a hangover.... You are more tolerant than I would be, even the thought of hanging around heavy drinkers makes me kinda sick...

Old 04-07-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

My new roomie is gone for a few days, it's nice to have a moment to reflect on how things are going. I must say, I believe made the right choice! She is interested in starting a workout plan with me and we are lucky to have a pool, gym, sauna and steam room right here where I live. There has been no discussion of drinking, nor have I seen her under the influence. If anything, she is a workaholic! Happy to have a quiet day of rest today, even more blessed to be so comfortable in my sober life!

Hugs to all
Old 04-07-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry again FR -that can't be easy to deal with but I'm glad your recovery is strong.

Glad things are working out for you WF

D
Old 04-08-2019, 03:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday bumboid - hope you feel better soon

D