Notices

Class of September 2018 Part 5

Old 05-21-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Good morning. Good for you treating yourself WF.

I've noticed I'm not as confident in myself as I had been since this hole family thing happened. Finding it more difficult to be sure of why I shouldn't drink. The emotional roller coaster and over all stressful weeks has gotten me down. I have a very busy day ahead again and just wish I didn't have to deal with it.

I'm hoping I feel better when the day is done. Going to try to get a bike ride in this afternoon. It's been a while.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Administrator

Finding it more difficult to be sure of why I shouldn't drink.
I have to make sure my recovery is not dependent on conditions. I have to stay sober no matter how bad things get or how much other people are unfair to me.

The bottom line is I'm worth fighting for. I never believed that for a long time, but now I can't imagine not believing in my self worth.

my actions should always reflect that.

I can be who I want to be...or drink...but not both.
D
Old 05-21-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

It's kind-of sounding like my old way of thinking Final.....

Drinking just because the family issues were too much, couldn't deal with them, might as well drink.

How about taking the advice of your SR pals? Step away from the situation. Maybe a 30 day break from family??

Everyone will survive without you for 30 days. then re-evaluate.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

If they question why you're not around, tell them. You need a break from everything to think things through. If that answer isn't enough, tell them the stress of family issues is jeopardizing your sobriety. If that doesn't appease them, tell them to **** off. (add any word you like)

The point is, you must stand up for yourself! This sobriety stuff is hard work, you must look after your own needs and put everything else on the back burner. Your job, friends, and family (sister & parents) have to take a back seat. Focus on the immediate concern!! Your health and your family unit (wife and kids)
Old 05-21-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

It's always taken me a bit to bounce back after extreme stress. Just feeling beat up. Some me time is a good idea. I'm ok.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:34 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Is it just me or does it seem many are really struggling right now.
I read newcomers and quickly get a sense of anger and despair. Not sure if it's just my perspective or reality. I just know that I can't read much as I feel it affecting me in a negative way.
So, I'll just pop in here for some WF optimism each morning and afternoon.
I don't feel like I have much advice to offer those struggling. Trying to follow my own advice right now.
Had a good nights sleep and feel less anxious today. Still lots of work to do but starting to feel I have a grip on it.
Have a great day.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

sometimes when there's one of two members angry and they have a busy thread or they have more than one thread it can skew things a little.

I ride pretty smooth now, but I was susceptible to that in my first years here - had to make sure I spent time in the 'good news' threads too.

D
Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Good morning Final, I feel the same way sometimes. I read the desperate newcomers threads to keep the reality of alcohols destruction fresh in my mind, it is a reminder that I never want to go back! However, I think we need that positive daily feedback as well, and you certainly have me to offer it up to you.

Just remember that you are enough. You work enough, do enough, have enough, and are perfectly imperfect. I used to strive for more, have more, do more, and please more people. How exhausting. How about for today you say to yourself....I AM GOOD ENOUGH!! When you begin to believe that about yourself, the opinion of others won't matter as much.

Have a great day Final, and remember...
Old 05-23-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Good morning WF.

Hope you stopped here first. It's not me, there is some real struggles and frustration going on. Hope people can work thru and see it's not as bad as they think.

Got another full day of work. Man I haven't been this busy in a long time. Supposed to be a nice weekend tho. 2more days.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Have a good day Final. Don't forget to pause from time to time to reflect on how well your doing. Hugs from the southwest
Old 05-24-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I need to pause. I will this weekend. Looking forward to the end of today.
Just hope everything goes smooth. Yesterday turned out frustrating.

Have a great day.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

I'm an early riser again today, it's 4 am and I'm wide awake! If my sleeping pattern doesn't improve, I'm going to start going to the gym at 6 am...lol. Just happy to be alive, content with what is.....

I realized this morning that this is the longest I've been sober in over 20 years, maybe longer. Before that I would always have a little weed around if I wasn't drinking. Feels good to finally have a solid foundation.

For the first time in my life, I'm not afraid to face my emotions, fears, stressors, and problems without the crutch of a mind altering substance. I can now celebrate accomplishments and holidays without toasting with a drink in hand.

I am free, free to live my life fully and in the present moment. I can honestly say, I never thought I would be writing these words. I truly thought I would be a party girl until the day I died. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to experience something different.

Sobriety is hard to find, and sometimes even harder to keep. I'm holding on to it and never letting go, no matter what. This is a promise to myself, because I'm worth it, I'm good enough! I'm ready to experience the best years of my life.

Thank you again SR, Dee, and Final, for being a part of my journey.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries WF - have a good weekend guys

D
Old 05-24-2019, 11:21 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hey guys.

I haven’t read back through all the thread, I will at some point. I’m just about to join the May 2019 group.

Final round and wild flower - well done! Really pleased that your both here and supporting each other

I’ll pop in occasionally but you’ll see me in the new group if you want to catch up on where I’m at

Thanks

Be
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad to see you back Be

D
Old 05-25-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Well, HELLO ben!

If you read thru the this thread you will find we ask about you (and the others) frequently. So glad to have you back.

I still check in each day and also joined the March 2019 class. Only 2 of us left there. My journey has not been linear but I learn more about myself each day. SR has not just been about getting sober for me, it's given me an outlet to express my inner thoughts.

September group is still my home. WF and I have been keeping the lights on for you in case you ever wanted to come back. Glad to see you man!

WF, great job on your hard work thru sobriety. I'm on my way there too. Occasionally I fall back a bit but then work thru to get better. Very impressed with what you have done for yourself. Keep rocking it girl!
Old 05-25-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ben

I've had a long day...my weekend starts now!

Be safe everyone, and sober
Old 05-26-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Enjoy it WF.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:19 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hi wildflower and final

Wow. Just wow. Just read through the thread. I’ve unmed and ahhed about responding at all because your bond has become so strong it feels like I’m imposing into something very special. But I decided I would because of the family theme

The struggles with both your respective families is an overload of identification for me. I’ve been drinking sporadically in last three months and also in ‘therapy’. My cycle has been I’ve been treated badly by family; I’ve tried to rise above; I’ve got resentful; I’ve bitten back (normally when drunk); I’ve felt really guilty...then we’ve repeated the cycle again.

Remember the time off work I was about to take? Well during that time I’ve been shafted by my brother and have lost my job from the company I set up (‘my’ company!) and ran for five years. Two weeks ago I just couldn’t believe someone could do that to their own family...I’m just getting used to the idea. I got sucked in and ended up ranting at him on phone and making things much worse.

So I’m taking a break from him and all of them. Not because the others are to blame but inevitably it keeps coming up. I think the break may be permanent but who knows

On another note I’d like to apologise. I know apologies on SR are always greeted with, ‘you don’t need to apologise to us...’! But by being part of any group and leaving without closure affects the group and I should have told you I was going.

Im in the May group. If it’s ok I’ll check in here occasionally but (genuinely) if you’d prefer I didn’t let me know, I don’t want to disrupt the support you are giving each other so consistently and caringly
Old 05-26-2019, 11:33 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you'll always be welcome here Be

D