Notices

Class Of December 2022 Part 2

Old 12-26-2022, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class Of December 2022 Part 2

Last part here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-one-20.html (Class Of December 2022 Part One)

D
Old 12-26-2022, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun! I pledge sobriety today!
Old 12-26-2022, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning All,
. Over 2 weeks now.
I gotta admit though, very minor thoughts about wine.
I've been trying to get back into old hobbies.
I've been an old school guy,
Even when I was a kid!
An offbeat hobby I had/have is ham radio.
Yesterday I fired up a WWII era receiver that I restored and a 1953 transmitter and made radio contact with a guy using Morse code and a telegraph key.
Yes, there's still a lot of us that use it.
It's a nice educational hobby plus when you are focusing on a Morse conversation you can't think of anything else, like drinking.
Anyway that's what I did,
snowed in here on Christmas day.
Also baked some honey glazed Cornish hen with a barley casserole .
Well folks,
Do an old hobby, or a new one
And stay sober!
Old 12-26-2022, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In for part 2. Pledging for today. Day 85
Old 12-26-2022, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Hi, Misst! I'm so glad that you enjoyed Christmas. Keep posting! We care about you!

Congrats on shotgun, Zenith! Your snowed-in Christmas sounds very comfortable. I don't know Morse code, but I definitely understand enjoying a simple, concentration-requiring task because it allows your brain a certain form of relief. I think tasks like that are meditative. Fun! Good job on your 2+ weeks!

You are edging in on 3 months of continuous sobriety, Runner! That is solid progress! I appreciate your daily pledges. They are inspiring to read.

I ate leftover homemade pumpkin pie with toasted cinnamon pecans and whipped cream for breakfast this morning. Yum! Drinking my coffee now, watching my dogs track two blue jays as they dart down from the huge oak trees in our backyard to pick up acorns. The birds are driving my Basset Hound crazy. He is standing at complete attention, sniffing the glass, and drooling all over the floor. Not sure where the fascination comes from....? I'd think blue jays would be very bony and feathery and poky and hard to catch for a tubby, old, low to the ground hound dog. But we've all got dreams, I guess!?

Looking forward to spending some time with my best friend this afternoon. I've been friends with her since I was a teenager, and she has grown and changed with me through the decades. She's my person. We are both happily married and settled, but I know that if anything happened to either of our spouses, we would be there to help each other. She would move in, and we would soldier on together. It might not be a traditional arrangement, but it would be a happy arrangement.

I grew up so afraid of being alone, but there is no need for fear. I have GOOD love all around. What provision!

Grateful for friendships, blue jays, drooling dogs, hot coffee, and (even) a sinkful of dirty dishes (it gives me a simple, meditative task).

Have a beautiful day.
-TC
Old 12-26-2022, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Zenith
An offbeat hobby I had/have is ham radio.
Yesterday I fired up a WWII era receiver that I restored and a 1953 transmitter and made radio contact with a guy using Morse code and a telegraph key.
That is way way cool.
My current hobby's are a small rc truck, 5 mini rc helicopter's and a 16' x 4' HO slot car layout 75 HO cars with a HO train that goes around it, 1/24 1/25 scale plastic cars build kits, HO homes, busyness building's and other kits to assemble paint, tinker with for the layout.

Busy morning, gotta get my move on and do some food shopping in about 30 or so minutes.
Be Back Latter Morning
126 days sober as of today. I'm still very early in recovery and I stay humble about that fact

Last edited by Zencat; 12-26-2022 at 07:17 AM. Reason: No proof reader ;)
Old 12-26-2022, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Toughchoices. Enjoy the day with your lifelong friend. Those are truly a blessing and to be cherished. I am with you on being grateful for the birds, loving (and sometimes drooling) dogs, healthy children and mundane tasks. Drinking robbed me of truly appreciating all of the bounty I have around me. I am trying to focus on all of the positives and not be consumed by the things that haven’t gone my way. The positives, upon reflection, are infinitely more than I deserve.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Runner, Day 85 is fantastic and I'm glad you're feeling positive. We all deserve good things.

TC, enjoy your visit with your friend. It sounds like a wonderful friendship.
Old 12-26-2022, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ham radio and Morse code is very cool ZB
Hope everyone had a great day - hope you enjoyed yours TC

D
Old 12-26-2022, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Wonderful post TC - gratitude has curative powers
Runned. good going with 85 days. Drinking is a thief
Takeaction, You fought that AV and won, Congrats on 19 days, huge accomplishment
Hi Oglsby, keep it, it gets better!
Hi misstqueent I hope you have many more good days coming

4 months sober today and it has gotten better emotional/mental/sleep/unpeeling the onion layers to my higher self

Old 12-26-2022, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your milestones guys

D
Old 12-26-2022, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mocktails

Thank you so much, Zencat! I appreciate your kindness ☺️

Today is the evening of day 20! It’s actually flown by surprisingly. I survived the holiday temptations to drink. My sweet tooth has been off the charts though haha. I’m glad I’m sober but I do crave the taste of a beverage.

What are your thoughts of making mocktails? I’m strong enough to know that I don’t want alcohol. I’m just craving the taste of a cocktail.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd be careful that the mocktails you make don't remind you of your former favourite drinks.
I relapsed on NA beer a lot of times...it triggered a response where I was knee deep in old behaviours....but no buzz.

I really missed that buzz.... and thought oh well one real beer won't hurt...but of course it did.
D
Old 12-26-2022, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on every milestone earned everyone.

Far as mocktails go those aren't for me and I was more a beer head. I personally bought and trashed ginger ale early on trying to find replacement liquids/sodas and for some reason ginger ale made me think of beer.

Water, milk, tea, soda. I don't really like coffee but will drink a cup or two once a week.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Tc. Good morning everyone I’m on day 7 today feeling good. Well done on all your sober days everyone I hope you all have a great day. Don’t give up. 😊
Old 12-26-2022, 09:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your week misstqueent

D
Old 12-27-2022, 12:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Morning everyone, ive decided to eventually post and post my day 1 i want to have a few days behind me for the new year.
This past week i havent really drank much as i have been really unwell with whatever bug thats been going around and today im finaly feeling a diffrence in my chest and not coughing as much and no more body pains.so im feeling more up about things and things are in place for me to restart my journey in being sober.
Good to see some familiar faces doing so well x
Zen good job on 4months and thanks for the mention some weeks ago as yes i have been reading everyone posts and keeping up to date on how everyone is doing x
I do hope to post as often as i can, i just seem to of lost myself for long while but on track now to get myself better and be more accountable to caring more for myself and posting my sober days x sry if not exactly making much sense as still little fuzzy around the edges of my body lol and mind. on postivie note least a big improvement on how i was before x

wishing everyone a good day and loads of hugs xx
Old 12-27-2022, 12:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really good to 'see' you Erratic - congrats on day one

D
Old 12-27-2022, 12:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

thanks dee x

hope they get the thanks button back soon if they can x
Old 12-27-2022, 03:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning folks,
TC- the kitty alarm woke me up at 3am. She's a very persistent little thing. I had to walk out into the kitchen with her and there was food in her bowl anyway. I went back to bed she came back in and slept on top of me after there was food in her tummy.
The pumpkin pie with pecans and whipped cream sounds awesome! Wish I had some with my coffee.

Zencat- I've enjoyed the same hobbies as you over the years, it brings back a lot of great memories.
I wish I could handle the rc helicopters, I've destroyed a few.

. Dee- I'm kinda forcing myself into some old hobbies, until they take hold. The farthest Morse contact I've made over the years is new Zealand from Buffalo. I haven't made it to Australia yet!

Runner and others congrats on your progress, it inspires me
Erratic- welcome and congrats on day 1!

Well yesterday my nice neighbor plowed my driveway out and the driving ban was lifted.
I have to admit I really was tempted to drive to liquor store.
I thought about how it would wipe out my 2 weeks and set me back to zero and the hellish cravings of starting over.
Made a grilled cheese sandwich and had some ginger ale. Got thru the witching hour ok.
Wishing us all
A good sober day!