Notices

Class of January 2019 part 6

Old 04-09-2019, 02:09 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good to hear from your, Quitnow. And glad to hear that you are doing well.

SBTS, cat sounds interesting.

Z, didn't watch the finals but heard there was some controversy at crucial time. Hope you enjoyed the game. Any game going into overtime is great match up between to very good teams.

Busy day ahead at work and then driving the boy older one for his practice.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:13 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Aww it is lovely to see everyone doing so well. I did some baking and had a little dance party in my kitchen last night with my boyfriend. We watched the Bohemian Rhapsody film the other night so we sang Queen at the top of our lungs which was quite therapeutic lol.

It turns out it is possible to have a great time when you're as sober as a judge. Who knew?
Old 04-09-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

H: I'm glad you get to spend time with your son!

Sophie: the impromptu dance party sounds fun!

Well, lots of buried emotions are coming up. It almost feels like going through detox and withdrawal again. Lots of crying and anxiety. Since I always coped by drinking, I don't have lot of tools to deal with everyday panic and sadness.

I'm turning a lot to meditation and mindfulness while trying to stay nourished so that I can learn to live with my intense feelings. It's not easy but I know picking up a drink will not take me anywhere but down a lonely slope into an abyss of self-pity.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things have a way of working out Listae..
Old 04-09-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Sorry you're feeling so rubbish, Listae. My counsellor is trying to teach me not to fear anxiety, but it is hard. I also turned to alcohol (and food/complete lack of food) to try to control my anxiety and have struggled with feeling like there is nowhere else to turn now that I don't drink.

The thing is, as you say, alcohol doesn't fix anything. It is only a way to avoid or delay the anxious feeling in the moment. Mindfulness is definitely more productive. I can also recommend kitchen dance parties and singing 80's pop at the top of your lungs

Hope you feel better xx
Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

About to dive into bed
Just wanted to say good night/morning to you all.
Took doggies to the woods for a long hike after work and let them run wild. We all got nice and muddy ~ was a good time. Feeling like I could sleep for a month.
Talk to you soon!
✌💚💪
-Z
Old 04-10-2019, 01:58 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hope things get better for you Listae. Meditation band mindfulness are very good tools, actually I am back to meditating and trying to practice Mindfulness.

Sophie, the dance party seemed to be have been a lot of fun. Dance I don't care about much but a good pastry anytime.

No idea about yesterday, it just flew by. I think it's a good thing. Today will be another busy day.

Hope you all are having / have a great day.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Listae I'm sorry to hear you've been having a hard time. We're all here for you.

Zig sounds like fun with the dogs hope you had a good nights sleep.

Sophie, totally agree that it's hard not to feel like we need "somewhere to turn" without alcohol. Still working on the food thing too.

H hope you had a good day!

I'm struggling a bit today. Feeling tired and down for no real reason (PMS may be playing a part). I haven't seen the bf since Sunday brunch and won't see him until Thursday night, which is not helping; he has a really big work thing going on right now. I get it, it just doesn't help. Regardless, I need to learn to be on my own without getting like this. In the meantime, I'm planning on heading straight home from work today and diving under a blanket and reading my book, which is pretty much what I did yesterday. Maybe also some ice cream.

On the plus side, I hit 90 days tomorrow

Hope everyone is doing well today.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello all. Nice to hear you having fun with your doggies Zig and hope your busy day was productive H!

SBTS - Weirdly, I had a difficult day today too and I also think it's (at least partly) down to PMS. I hope a quiet night of self care and ice cream helps! Lovely to have a milestone to celebrate.

I will go to sleep sober for the 100th night in a row tonight. Although I didn't achieve much today, I'm counting it as a win that I didn't give into the craving to drink.

I'm so grateful for all of you. Goodnight x
Old 04-10-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Checking in. I passed 90 days a few days ago, and I’m doing pretty well

Tomorrow I’m heading out of town to see my mom. I’m not eager to go because my dog is sick, and I can’t stand leaving him. Mr. Bonnie will be staying home from work to be with him though, and he’s showing signs of improvement since the vet put him on meds.

This trip will be a challenge.
1. My sister was my drinking buddy, so there’s that.
2. My step dad’s family will be around, and they are very religious and don’t drink, which is cool, but super religious people stress me out because I feel out of place.
3. Stepdad’s family is staunchly in support of a certain political leaning, which I don’t agree with. I’m fine with that and have many friends who think differently than I do, but these guys in particular can be very judgmental of those who disagree with them. In their minds, we’re all satan worshippers. I try to sidestep topics, but they can be very direct, as in, “what do you think about ———?” And if you don’t answer “correctly” you get lectured. My response to anything political is going to be, “So how about that season 9 Walking Dead finale?” Or some other change of topic.

Anyway, I’ve got this. My sister knows I don’t drink anymore, and I don’t even de-stress like that nowadays anyway. I have some good books to read on the plane, I’ve thought through how I’m going to deal with various scenarios,

That’s all; I’ve got to do do some laundry and pack.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats to all you guys hitting 90 or 100 days - keep doing what you've been doing - you've got this

D
Old 04-10-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hola Bonnie!
Sorry about your dog Glad that your husband will be able to take care of it and keep it cozy in your absence though. I had to lol regarding your step dad's family. Just stick close to your sister and bite the tongue when conversation heads to eye-roll territory. Or you could just imagine their heads on pikes (in a fun way). Don't go Alpha on them
Hope everyone is enjoying the day/night! There's a big storm out west that ruined our quick taste of pleasant weather. Not supposed to directly hit here but it's pretty miserable outside. My wife took our son out to buy new soccer shoes; since I'm dining alone, I'm celebrating 90 sober nights with a Little Caesars's pizza and Crazy Bread
feel better Sophie and Sea!
✌💚💪
-Z
Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Lmao, zig. Heads on pikes are always fun to think about. I’ll refrain from accessing my inner Alpha tho!😄
Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Super-super sbs

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post

On the plus side, I hit 90 days tomorrow
FELICIDADES, as they say in Peru!

By the way, did you know ninety days equals three months?!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Congrats SBTS and Sophie on your achievements. Hope both of you are feeling better today.

Bonnie hope your dog feels better. I feel for you, today's politics is not worth a conversation. I. Sure you will be able to manage yourself well.

I have had a busy week. And surprisingly I am asking for even more challenging work with some some tough characters involved. I hoping to get so busy with work that there is very little time for emotional play. I. Doing so because the next 3 weeks the boys will be with their mom. I am going to miss them and don't want time to miss them.

I am taking tomorrow off will be running some errands before I take the boys for the tournament.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Congratulations to everyone achieving 90 or more days off the booze. I am doing fine and feeling great at 88 days. The AV tempts me to drink once in a while, but I resist and the craving goes way. I have been watching other people's battle with alcohol on U-Tube for encouragement.

Hope everyone has a great day. Every day without booze is a blessing.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear Dickensen

D
Old 04-11-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey class!
Dickensen, that's definitely one of the perks of quitting in 2019
We've so many resources at our fingertips. Quitting pre-internet would've been a completely different animal for me.
I'm thankful everyday for this group ~ you folks keep me inspired and engaged

✌💚💪
-Z
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Grateful for good ice cream, a long walk, cancelling appointments to have some time for reflecting, reading the entries in my sobriety journal since I quit on January 1, a hot meal, and finding joy in simple everyday wonders. Why did all these wonderful things still make it a day that I mostly spent crying? Because I never thought a hopeless, middle-aged drunk like me would make it one day much less 100 days without wallowing in a bottle of wine. Tears were shed today but I'm so grateful for the relief from alcohol's choking grip over every minute of my life. #Nodesiretodrink #100 days sober
Old 04-12-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Listae congrats on hundred days. You have done amazing.