Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 9

Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of July 2015 Part 9

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-8-a-21.html (Class of July 2015 Part 8)

D
Old 05-25-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

still sober but struggling

Still sober since July 20, 2015. I stopped visiting SR when AA became my means of staying sober, but over the past 2 years I have found myself increasingly drifting away from the program, becoming complacent and cynical. I'm a workaholic for sure and tend to numb out with entertainment in my free time. After a painful romantic disappointment in my second year of sobriety I retreated from relationships with people, and mostly isolate when I can and have only a couple of trusted friends.
I still go to a meeting once every week or two and it's touch and go with my sponsor, but I keep lapsing into a comfortably familiar mild
discontent and sense of aimlessness. Only occasionally do I get in enough emotional pain to reach out for some guidance and maybe try to work some steps, but I get swept back up in work or hobbies and forget to do my daily program.

I know that this is the road to relapse and that it is up to me to make a decision and a commitment to do the work even when my ass is not on fire. I guess maybe I'm just looking for some shared experience of growing in sobriety and finding the courage to peel back those deeper layers, the ones you get to after the drink has been removed for a while. Thanks again, -Up.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back Up

No matter how busy I get I need to make some time for my recovery - cos without recovery everything else I have or want is at risk.

I need balance too - I gave up on thinking of myself as indispensable a while ago
SR has been great for me to give me perspective and ground me

D