Notices

One Year & Over Part 67

Old 05-01-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

I've just remembered that today is my sixth soberversary!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Well then, we shall have cake, yes?

and.....

Old 05-01-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on six years Andy! That is incredible!

Itchy, always loved George Carlin, though he really got a little salty towards the end of his life. Enjoy the $2.37 a gallon gas in Louisiana. I just paid over three dollars a gallon for the first time in a long time up here. Best wishes for a smooth transition to Colorado.

Saskia, enjoy your cruise!

Have a good day all!

Have
Old 05-01-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Andy! Brillianto!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Magsie

Star, so your 3 dollars is £2.29 in U.K. our unleaded petrol is 1.29.9 approx, for one litre, so a gallon would be 4.54609 x 1.29.9 which equates to £5.86 a gallon, ours is nearly double what you pay.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

good one, Andy
Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Andy - you're an inspiration

D
Old 05-01-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the six years!👍
Old 05-01-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Dee,
I am doing all I can, and the house is bought already, now I just have to get my SH up there and come back and finish the rest of the selling of house and vehicles.

Andy,
That is huge! Congrats! And know I agree with Dee that you are an inspiration in many more ways than just sobriety. I say just because all we have to do is not do something repeatedly to stay sober. Your family and your husbandry of it are the inspiration. You are even designing your own furnace setup! Brilliant as you say over there.

Mags,
Several years back I realized we went from almost nothing save some antiques and family heirlooms and photos videos, after RVing for seven years fulltime, to having gotten buildings full of "stuff" again!
I actually sold a lot of power woodchippers, electric start tiller, and large air compressors and the like when I realized for once a year use it was cheaper to rent them than keep their maintenance up. When we are moved I intend to winnow myself down to the bare necessities. Clinical in choosing is a good way to put it.
Regardless of the discomfort does wearing a mask stop the itching and rashes for you? I do hope your episodes get less and less and the docs can find relief for you.

Sassy,
You bought stuff for the cruise now get well and go have fun! I do hope you feel better. And it already happened. I sold my floor jacks so I gave my friend that overhauled my carb on the tractor last week a bunch of fluids I wouldn't need and I gave him a can of Gunk engine degreaser, as I had another can of Gunk Citrus engine cleaner. Well I needed that other can so I asked him to bring it back if he didn't mind so much. He did, since I already gave him a dozen cans of lubes and other stuff that was half full anyway. Remember movers also charge by weight. So I can get full new cans without a years worth of dust already on them.

Star,
I liked Carlin the whole time, the saltier the better. <wink> Hey the fuel is less in Colorado than here because they are lower taxes I guess.

Mags,
When I first went to Germany and stayed seven years assigned there, (1990-1997)their fuel off base was about five bucks a gallon. We bought fuel on base for stateside price of about a buck a gallon-$1.50. We could buy books of coupons that gave us a discount at the major German stations back then and pay about our home base price when we were traveling and touring in Europe on our off duty/vacation/weekend time. IT will drop soon as demand decreases with electric cars and autonomous driving Uber and Lyft electric cars become ubiquitous. Fossil fuels are already headed to extinction. ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) age vehicles are going away worldwide. And no one feels sorry for the oil industry who make hay out of buyers getting a tax credit for buying electric, while the oil companies take trillions a year in subsidies. I will enjoy seeing that at least begin. Europe is already legislating for cities and soon their countries will go all green, while the US gets further behind. It is a great time to be alive!

Got the Baja spare remote lock unlock user programmable key Fob from eBay and when it did not program for this user the local Subaru dealer got it programmed free.

People are just great if we give them half a chance. There are two kinds of people in the world (not a joke) those who want to control others, and those who don't. I don't because controlling people is like herding cats. Just be a moderator on a website like Dee and the others here are for a few months. Most don't last.

Everyone have a great hump day, and a smooth slide into your weekends.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah people are great, This is service work - I really don't want to control others

D
Old 05-01-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Itchy, yeah you’re right, it’s the taxes what increase the costs on our fuel, how did I forget that! Anyhow, as my hubby says, it is what it is.

Sassy, I hope you’re feeling better and ready for you’re cruise. Will you have internet on the water?

Itchy, I worked in a petrol station when I was 18 and the cost of petrol then was 25pence a gallon, but of course our wages were much lower then too!

You know, the older I get the more I realise, women just don’t think like men, at all really! And it can be an advantage I think. It can help a great relationship or cause bedlam!

Something funny just came to my mind so I’m going to tell you about it.
My first marriage, well, that ended amicably, but whilst married he worked for awhile in Germany and I went out for a visit. I caught endless trains and on one of them I was sat in a compartment with about 8-10 people, it was full.
I can’t remember exactly the name of the town I was going to, but it was something like season, I know we passed through Düsseldorf on the train.(police with guns came on the train, quite alarming)
Anyhow, this old man (he was probably only 40 with a beard, my concept of old was childlike, if you’re over 30, you’re old!) I’m now officially ancient, in my younger eyes!
I digress. The guy with the beard smiled at me and asked where I was travelling too, in German!, then in English. I got out my phrase book, ready to astound my fellow passengers with my German, when after a few sentences from me, the bearded guy said ‘You will cause world war 3’, he had a smile in his eyes as he said it, but to this day, I have no idea what it sounded like I’d said from my pronunciation. All the people smiled in the compartment too, so it may have been some German joke. I laughed too!

I was so full of life in those days but also like a pressure cooker waiting to explode. So much kept inside of me. Ah well, I’m pleased that is all behind me.

I hope I didn’t bore you with my German travel, many years later, I’d forgotten all about it when, on a film I was watching, the actor was using a phrase book to thank the royalty of the country, which instead came out as something completely different and very funny. I howled laughing, remembering my German train journey.

Have a good Thursday my friends.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Thank you for the congratulations, lovely cake Venus.

When I was in Italy, I tried using a phrase book to buy bread. After my first attempt the young lady behind the counter said in perfect Brummie "You want a loaf bread, do you?"
For those of you who don't know what Brummie is :- Brummie is the dialect / heavy accent spoken by people from Brumageam or Birmingham, which is a city just south of me.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:01 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Or 'Berminum' to pronounce it correctly! ( as a born midlander!) Congrats on your 6 years Andy, and I totally agree, you and the younger Treerats are inspirational.
I generously left a few gardening things for the new folk when we left our last house and am raging that having not realised all I will need here, am having to buy some again! Yet I've a basement full of cr4p I brought with us that will probably sit her until our next move; broken suitcase anyone?!!

Mags I've had some fun with my Spanish mispronunciations! The joys of British tax, we always buy cigs for my sil when in Spain, half the cost! I couldn't afford to smoke these days if I wanted to!
Old 05-02-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Andy!
Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Congrats, Andy!

Well, the last two days were essentially “lost”. I hadn’t realized how much more a simple cold can affect us oldsters :-(. I ended up having to cancel my cruise because there was no way I could manage the bus trip to airport, flight, shuttle to hotel and the next day shuttle to ship. It was like contemplating climbing Mt Everest with a broken leg. I will plan it again another time.

Have a good day!
Old 05-02-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

The way to communicate with people in a different language is the same as with the elderly (this is a joke btw)...like Basil Fawlty- you look intently in their eyes, lean in quite close to them, then using clear words- shouting and slowly you give them your message. For example 'DO-YOU SPEAK-ENGLISH?'.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Belated congrats Tree, or can I be the first to congratulate you on 7 years??

Well Self Absorbed Co-Worker comes back to work Sunday, Part of me is happy she did not lose her job, I do not believe she should have, first time offense and all, okay, first time she got caught, lets be real here. The other part of me did not want her to keep it. I was secretly hoping she would be let go. I am not proud of myself for thinking /hoping that would happen, my shallowness is showing big time here. I have kind of a fake friend thing going on with her if that makes any sense at all. My work status would have been upped a little as I would then be senior, no change financially , just a chain of command thing, although as a FTO I out rank her anyway,,,,,sorry babbling,,,,

Is she still drinking? I have no idea , I am sure it will come up in conversation at some point only time will tell that part of her life and decisions.

I for one am grateful to no longer be drinking and that I can thank all of you for helping me being able to say that.

To finish my rambling I have a Dr. appt tomorrow for a 12 year over due physical. For years I would not go because I knew my labs would bring light to how much I was drinking, (couldn't have that threatened could we?) I figure after a year and a half I should be were I am going to be liver wise. I am going to be honest of my history which will be the first time I have spoken the truth aloud to anyone, scared to be honest. So positive thoughts my way would be appreciated.

babbling / rambling over,,, carry on.

Lori
Old 05-02-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

time for a new thread guys

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-68-a.html (One Year & Over Part 68)

D