Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 3

Old 03-05-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Today was a tuff one. And about 30 minutes ago I was about ready to lose it. It was craving from hell. I had a brief moment of about saying f it. I ran upstairs to pick up a box that was delivered while I was out from a neighbor friend. Someone I would drink with so I really had to think that one through. I thought just go get your boxes and tell her I have quit drinking so I can't stay. It was ok surprisingly. She would never offer me wine if I was honest. I told her if I ever ask for a drink she is to tell me to walk my fat ass to the corner gas station and buy it myself. And then I said I am not purposely avoiding anyone. I just need time. And by the time I got back down to my apartment. I was fine. So chaulk my first test up as a success because I ain't walking my fat ass anywhere. Dinner. Fizzy water. Shower. Bed. I am wrapping this day up.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah Canguy...I AM determined. I really don’t want to ever go back to drinking a poisonous liquid that ruins my life. The worst day sober is still better then my best day drunk...even though there aren’t any good days drinking.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Light&Dark. I did Yoga for anxiety today on YouTube and it really helped!

Here’s the link if anyone wants to try it!

https://youtu.be/bJJWArRfKa0
Old 03-05-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Today was a tuff one. And about 30 minutes ago I was about ready to lose it. It was craving from hell. I had a brief moment of about saying f it. I ran upstairs to pick up a box that was delivered while I was out from a neighbor friend. Someone I would drink with so I really had to think that one through. I thought just go get your boxes and tell her I have quit drinking so I can't stay. It was ok surprisingly. She would never offer me wine if I was honest. I told her if I ever ask for a drink she is to tell me to walk my fat ass to the corner gas station and buy it myself. And then I said I am not purposely avoiding anyone. I just need time. And by the time I got back down to my apartment. I was fine. So chaulk my first test up as a success because I ain't walking my fat ass anywhere. Dinner. Fizzy water. Shower. Bed. I am wrapping this day up.
Great job 360shoes! That’s HUGE that you told your neighbor that! Huge!
Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Happy to see activity and some good things happening. Seems like we are missing a few, though. 🙁

I’m feeling pretty good about myself at the moment. Hope it lasts. lol
Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on one month Fioe Gras and Addy - I wouldn't lie to you
Calling a friend is a great idea Shoes - I Hope it helps
Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You did fine 360 shoes.

It can come on so hard and fast.......just eff it, go and do it.
Then its months before you can stop again.

RG....I've noticed that too....It has gotten quiet. But we can only keep it going for as long as we are able.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Thanks Dee!

And yes, Canguy. I remember the last February class we were in and I think it dwindled to five or six. I also think you and I are the only ones of the remaining folks who didn’t ultimately succeed. So let’s change that one, right?!!!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello all! Just stopping by to say hi & give my fellow classmates encouragement to keep going. On day 38 and still struggling with sleeping. Although some nights have been good. I still need a nap during the day. Last night I only slept 2 hours. I thought I had gotten past that. But oh well. Also, my indigestion has been coming back. Which scares me because that’s what used to make me throw up. I think it’s due to a poor diet. Something else I need to work on. And get to the gym. But right now I fell like my body just wants to rest & heal. Probably need more balance. Obviously not my strong suit!
Oh so much to conquer...I’ve really made a mess. It’s overwhelming. But for now, I’ll take comfort in the one thing I can control. Not drinking.
Be well everyone
Old 03-07-2019, 04:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Good to see you NotMe!

I’m heading to the airport in a few hours. Traveling by air always = a few drinks along the way. I’m definitely planning to pass on those today.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You have a great attitude Notme!

I don't have a problem with airports FG but hotels have caused me some problems. Have a nice trip!

Still dealing with the depression but at least I'm getting used to being depressed and not drinking. Far better to just have the one instead of both. One problem is plenty.

Tough day yesterday but I went to a meeting. Can't say I really felt better but I certainly didn't feel worse. I'm doing everything I can so I just have to trust this will get better. The not drinking part is certainly better but my mental state really isn't. I've accepted it will just be a little difficult for awhile but I trust it will improve.

Everyone in my life now knows about what I am doing so I do have a lot of support for the tough days.

Have a great day or night folks!
xoxo
Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey Groundhogs! Congrats Evvo and FG! Sorry I have been MIA for the last few days, but still sober! Hubby had nose surgery on Tuesday, so I have been pre-occupied being nurse, wife, housekeeper, etc! He seems to be doing better, but is not supposed to bend over or lift anything more than 5 lbs. for a month! Also, for some reason, my computer is acting weird and I haven't gotten any e-mails from SR Anyways, all is ok here. Just got invited to a family reunion in Boston on June 9th. I really wanna go, but I do have a pretty toxic family, so it might be a slippery slope for me. Trying to decide whether or not to go.

I've read a lot of posts about anxiety as a trigger. That's true for me too....as well as anger. If I get really upset, the first thing I think of is a drink and/or smoking....UGH! Walking, deep breathing, etc. seem to work as I "surf the urge".

Hope you are all doing well....moving into March!
Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Addy47 View Post
Hey Lipstuck! Youve lost 21 pounds of weight? WOW!!! Amazing! What's the secret? Just not drinking?
Hi Addy! I'm on a diet that cut out flour and sugar. It has honestly been my best weapon in this fight... Not only do I have significantly reduced cravings of all kinds, but my poor overworked dopamine processors are finally getting a much needed vacation. And I'm better able to deal with stress and life in general without panicking that I'll run out of wine. 😀
The weight loss.... Doesn't hurt my mood. I think that in previous attempts to stop, I buried myself in food (food that itself was addictive and toxic), so it's good to finally feel more like I did before I started going down this stupid crappy road.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hope all my fellow groundhogs are doing well! My app tells me I'm almost 33 days in. It's happy and appalling to see how many hundred drinks I've passed up and how many dollars I've saved. Ugh.
I am pumped about being sober for Game of Thrones, for real.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Morning all G'hogs....

FG (still of think u as Purplecat)....classes do dwindle rapidly once the month is over. My problem is that I just 're-evaluate' sobriety at around the 3-4 month point. But have learned that its a lot harder to get back each time. Also I'm facing some longer term issues now that really need a sober head to deal with. So, yeah.....let's keep it going.

But our numbers seems to have picked up again today. Which is great. Hi to NotMe, trudging, lipstuck and 360. Its great that you are pulling through from day to day. The best any of us can do at this point. Really don't know if I have anxiety, but do know that drinking makes me irritable, confused. Concentration and focus just goes, isolate. Become good at that. Just run endless dialogues with myself.

Things to love about sober? One that I enjoy is signing my name. I was getting unsteady hands. I could see how I was getting affected in the deteriorating hand writing, the shaky and awkward signature. Now, I got my flourish back.

Have a good day all.....check in later
Old 03-07-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bon voyage FG. You can do this

congrats on 33 lipstuck and 38 notmepls and to everyone - no matter what day you're on, best it's a sober one

D
Old 03-07-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

I made it just fine. At the airport the guy next to me at the gate had been to a bar. Phew - he stunk! Almost made me move.

canguy - maybe I’ll log out as FG and back in as PC one day just to mess with ya. I hear you on the 3-4 months. That’s where I went off the rails last time.

Good to see activity again! Hi everyone!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey crew .

Glad y'all are still here, FoieGras, canguy, Lipstuck, trudgingagain, 360shoes, NotMe2pls, Addy47, lightanddark, JamesSquire.

Am I missing anyone?

Honestly my AV has been a little out-of-control the last few days, but I'm getting it under control -- and there have been some great suggestions on the newcomers forum.

I also need to celebrate some cool new things:
  1. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since Feb 3 -- and don't plan to.
  2. I've been a great, supportive "night-shift" dad to my little one -- and have kept our apartment (mostly) spotless. I've been a great support to my wife who is on maternity leave still. Our marriage is very strong.
  3. I'm looking and feeling good. I'm at my healthy target weight, eating well, sleeping well, and really taking care of myself.
  4. I'm laying the foundation for a potential big move and change of career. Something with more work/life balance. I haven't posted about it yet... but I'm feeling optimistic.
  5. I. Love. Being. A. Dad.

Remember to count your blessings, crew .

Make it so.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

GOT!!!!! I've been xing my calendar Lipstuck. I have binged watch all 7 seasons 3 times.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey Guys, just checking in for another sober Friday! Great stuff Evvo! Glad you made it! Isn't it amazing how sensitive our sense of smell (of alcohol) changes?! Hubbby and I both have doctors' appointments today. Wouldn't ya know that the test kit that was sent home with me was incomplete? Didn't realize it until I was making the preparations for submitting it! SOOOOO now I don't know if I will have to do it all over again. PLUS, I threw away the requisition paper and now I found out that it needs to be included with the test kit. I have already been through the gaarbage (that gets picked up today and I can't find it! Hoping that the lab can just call the doc. OH....and my NEW (used) car was sideswiped by a hit and run driver in a parking lot! So I have to deal with that as well. Feeling overwhelmed, but I am going to go on my morning walk and then deal with the lab. Just doing what's in front of me today. Keep it going, Groundhogs!