Notices

Class of March 2019 Part One

Old 03-05-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

First off, warm welcome to Offthemast , StartingOverNW, Oregongirlsite, Sparklife, Primativo, DariaM, and Pelagic263.

It's crazy just how many of us are in need of group support in our journey to break free of our addiction simultaneously. It's not surprising though. Alcohol is the most readily available substance to pick up when we are weak and feel helpless. We CAN change that though, together

I am now on Day 11, if I can get to 11 any of you can get to 11, 28, or 60. I was drinking almost 750 ml of scotch whiskey a day for 40-50 days straight with maybe 1-2 days off in between.

The number one focus for me is changing my routine and the realization of pleasure stacking. I used to stack pleasure by using alcohol with a second pleasure such as food, sex, or social activity. the reality is there is much pleasure to be had without alcohol and we have to remember to give the body pleasure from day to day. Sometimes it's just the smallest thing so that we remember life is worth living and we should enjoy it, and without alcohol.

I encourage everyone today to do something they enjoy that gives them pleasure, and remember that you can get pleasure without alcohol in your life and without hurting yourself or others in the process.

Have a triumphant sober Tuesday everyone.

Hugs
Old 03-05-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I had huge overnight sweats. My bed was actually drenched, just disgusting. Well it’s nearly 6pm here and I think a good nights sleep tonight will have me relatively back to normal.

The emotional hangover of relapsing and letting myself down will take longer to get over.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

That’s a wonderful message Enginear, thank you, find something everyday that gives you pleasure, no matter how small and savour it and thank you for the welcome.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post

The emotional hangover of relapsing and letting myself down will take longer to get over.
I hear that. I feel like im over the physical part of my relapse but im having a hard time stopping the brutal internal dialogue that is calling me down to the dirt all day.

the sooner we can start forgiving ourselves, the sooner we can get on with the work of making the changes needed

( I also lost my wallet this time ... )
Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I found myself day dreaming about drinking ugh decided to get on here before I react on my thoughts you think the pain the regret the blackouts and passing out would be enough to never drink again or want to touch it again but for some reason it isn’t enough but I refuse to start over again and I want to break the cycle of self abuse so first move being here posting next I need to remove myself from this craving and urge to drink maybe a hot shower even if it’s in the middle of the day
Old 03-05-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForMyBoy86 View Post
I hear that. I feel like im over the physical part of my relapse but im having a hard time stopping the brutal internal dialogue that is calling me down to the dirt all day.

the sooner we can start forgiving ourselves, the sooner we can get on with the work of making the changes needed

( I also lost my wallet this time ... )
We definitely have to be easy on ourselves. I have to remember how torn I was about going and how deep down I didn’t want to go. I knew if I went I’d get annihilated in drink, as it’s what I always do when I drink (especially abroad).

The good thing is I am genuinely so happy living a sober life, my relapses have all been in response to social situations which I must address and plan for and that is what im
going to do. I know I’ve got this, I want to be sober more than I want to drink 99% of the time, but a few situations I seem to have succumbed to social pressure or FOMO.

I’m going to throw myself into AA properly. I need to work the steps.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post

The good thing is I am genuinely so happy living a sober life, my relapses have all been in response to social situations which I must address and plan for and that is what im
going to do. I know I’ve got this, I want to be sober more than I want to drink 99% of the time, but a few situations I seem to have succumbed to social pressure or FOMO.
Our drinking sounds similar. I was always a social drinker, wanted to be where the party was, and unfortunatly romanticize the "amazing" times I had that were in reality a complete mess. I can go long stretches enjoying the sober life then BAM some situation arises where i feel like i can drink and off I go.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xxxNICHOLExxx View Post
I found myself day dreaming about drinking ugh decided to get on here before I react on my thoughts you think the pain the regret the blackouts and passing out would be enough to never drink again or want to touch it again but for some reason it isn’t enough but I refuse to start over again and I want to break the cycle of self abuse so first move being here posting next I need to remove myself from this craving and urge to drink maybe a hot shower even if it’s in the middle of the day
Just saw this! I replied to your other post/thread, fyi...

You got this.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

When I would get those massive cravings early on I would make sure to eat. A lot and often. A full belly squashes alcohol cravings. And hot chocolate would be my reserve chute. Something about the sweetness and the effects chocolate has on us helped. Always put a smile on my face. Especially if I had a cup with one of my boys.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Day 3. Achy after a rough couple of days. Don't feel like posting much.

Do know though I appreciate all of you and your posts.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks to the love and support of SR I’m going to lay down sober it’s been a very long day but at least I’m sober!!! One of the things I have to do is take drinking as tool to cope off the table!!! Cravings and urges are very hard and uncomfortable but it’s still not worse then drinking I just need to kept reminding myself this!!
Hopefully everyone is having a lovely sober day/night I really I’m thankful for everyone and hopefully it’s a long sober journey together ending day 4 tomorrow is a new day
Old 03-05-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Nichole, day 4 is easier than day 1. Day 5 is easier than day 4. Keep going.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Daria and Pelagic263 and anyone I might have mistakenly missed.

You guys are all doing great - recovery in action
Old 03-05-2019, 11:45 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Stories ....

Sorry I'm bored, at work and nothing exciting is happening, so I thought I'd share a few stories

2015, I was desperate to find an answer to sobriety and went to an AA meeting.
Met a guy that was celebrating 9 years sober. He was literally jumping out of his skin at the excitement. I will always remember the joy in his face.
There is hope that we can enjoy that same excitement.

Last weekend my niece's boyfriend got into a rage after drinking and jumped into his car and drove off. She rang the cops to advise them that he was driving DUI. He didn't make it past their street, totaled his car by running into another parked car. He blew 5x the legal limit. Now she is looking at bringing up a child(unborn) on her own. Apparently he is a violent drunk. I've only ever met him sober. It's his 1st offence DUI so he may avoid jail time.

In my early twenties I knocked around with some guys that were users of weed and alcohol. That's when I learn't to drink, I wasn't big into the drugs. I somehow knew this was not good and started to shy away from the group. Then I met my wife and cut ties with them altogether but kept drinking but only socially at the time. Recently I was contacted by a lady who was a girlfriend of one of the group on Facebook, she said that she had been in an abusive relationship for 32 years with her then boyfriend. I remember her as a sweet faced young lady, she'd be in her early 50s now but her FB profile picture showed the worn face of a 100 year old. It was so sad. But she is in a good place now.

Maybe you've got a few stories to share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Aus01.jpg (7.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:58 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Morning all. Day 3 for me. I'm ok during the week but weekend is when I binge drink so have made plans so I'm busy and won't have the chance to as I'll be driving. I'm trying to keep telling myself "I don't drink" hoping it'll change my way of thinking. This is my choice and I'm choosing to be happy and healthy and alcohol does not make me happy or healthy.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hope everyone's good. Day 10 for me, one of very few occasions I've made it to double digits. It's been really good so far (post-detox), almost scary how few cravings there have been. I think that's because alcohol remains abhorrent to me, after my last drinking bout of mostly red wine and vodka. Yuck. Still, I know I've got to stay on guard.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:15 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

On day 3 now. Feeling much better but still not 100%.

Appetite slowly returning and less tired.

I know I'll be ok as I truly do not want to drink anymore. I love my sober life. Just need to work through those big social events which come along every now and again.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

hello all! wishing everyone a peaceful morning/evening wherever you may be.
checking in for a sober day 4.
again, taking time reading some SR in the morning feels like the right thing for me. My anxiety often peaks first thing, so trying to start the day on a hopeful note is key.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:18 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning haven’t had time to read the post little busy this morning getting my daughter ready for school and my son being sick he has the stomach bug I’m running on few hours of sleep hopefully after I send my daughter off to school I can lay down for a few hours because I’m definitely feeling it but I’m super pump to be sober and clear headed this feeling never gets old hopefully everyone is doing amazing
Old 03-06-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning gang. A solid 9 hours of sleep last night. ( not bragging). Sometimes too much sleep makes me feel tired when I wake up.

One of my most effective tools has been playing the tape forward. Really visualize the day after I pick up. It's never been good.

For the weekend drinkers, I would start searching "things to do in (any town)". Would find some new and interesting things going on. Especially food events. There's plenty of things going on and most are looking for attendance to build up the hype.

Some things I found and did (that I would have never done otherwise): craft fairs with custom car show and food trucks, antique working farm with lumberjack show and tractor pull (only 30 minutes away and never new it existed, stargazing event at local zoo (kids and adults), virtual reality lounge ( very cool, no booze), a food sampling night at local restaurants (kind of like bar hopping but for food), plenty of free music venues, indoor Indy go-kart racing.

Just some things I have found to keep busy. Riddle rooms are very popular now and are popping up everywhere.

There are lots of things to do that don't involve drinking. We are just so used to following the same path and get blinders on to the outside world.