Notices

Class of March 2019 Part One

Old 03-01-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hard for me to keep up with everyone's posts so forgive me if I don't call anyone out specifically. I'm here to offer whatever support I can a gain some back. So welcome to you all and thanks for being here.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evoo View Post

Finalround: Congrats on your 4 months, first of all, and for nipping this in the bud and not letting 1 week turn into months, years, decades... what brought you to the relapse point and what is different in your strategy/mindset this time? Asking because I did similar and I want to avoid the same thing.
Thanks for asking. Quite simply, I took my eye off the ball.
Sobriety needs to be very simple. One day at a time. Have a plan. Follow that plan. Action is key. DO! Stay in the routine. Work your program and never forget our addiction is always lurking.

I had done all these things. Then I stopped counting days as I racked up a bunch another one didn't feel like it moved the needle much. The same types of things started happening with my work, relationships, my fitness and weight loss etc. I felt stuck and like I wasn't moving forward. Then being stuck in the winter blues, and spring started seeming so far away...I forgot the what and the why. And addiction moved back in very quickly.

Started with just a few nips one night. Felt fine. That was all so of course I figured, "see, I got this". Next night, yes, the very next night, a bottle of wine turned into two. Then felt crappy the next day so went for my addiction's favorite remedy. Suddenly I was drinking daily again. Didn't feel I could stop. 5 straight days after just a couple nips. Boom! Right back there.

Got back here to SR and September class 2018 (my closest friends on here) and got me back on track. It was important for me to set some short term goals for myself. Not get too caught up in the big picture stuff. One day at a time. Treat myself with kindness each day. Seek something new to learn or to do. Live in the moment. Stay in my routine but allow it to be a little flexible.

And always remember, that I am 1 drink away from failure at every damn second of my day. I CAN NOT DRINK.

Promise all my posts won't be this long
Old 03-01-2019, 09:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Finalround ... great post, Thank You.
It seems to me routine, a plan for the day and alertness to the addiction is crucial.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I agree James.

You hear it a lot, but I can tell you for sure, being sober is way better than being drunk. We give up so much of ourselves just for that buzz.

I'm up early. Actually enjoying my coffee. I've got the hole weekend to do.

What would you all do today without a hangover? What dreams do you have that you've forgotten about? Is there something you wish you had done but lost sight of? Is there something else you wish you could be?

It's not too late. Let's kick our destructive addictions to the curb and get some s%#t done!
Old 03-02-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fellow Marchers!

Just wanted to stop by and say hi

SR has been a staple for me the past three years....had some bumps and bruises along the way, but the important thing is we don't give up!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I’m back to day 1 I’m 100% ashamed of myself!!! My first mistake was invited friends over that drink and do drugs I love them as a person but I have to put my sobriety first!! My second mistake was not posting here first for help!!! I take full responsibility for what I done I thought I could handle being around it but wasn’t ready yet.. one bad decision led to another an to be and I’m not sure how I didn’t hurt myself with mixing I’m ashamed to admit this but I did decide to drink take pain pills Xanax smoke pot and ate shrooms all in one night on top of my medication for depression I know that’s unacceptable and not okay and can admit I really screwed up but I’m ready to make positive changes starting with day 1 and staying away from friends and putting sobriety first I’m going to start posting morning and night and when I need support
Old 03-02-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Finalround

Finalround, I really appreciated what u wrote and it applies to my daily struggle: Especially Not focusing on big picture but short term goals, living in the moment and sticking to a routine is what is helping me. I am challenged every day with cravings as I am only on day 54 of sobriety and a lifetime of bad routines which are all triggers. Sounds simple to the non-addict, but to us a new routine and habits is the only way to be able to have a chance in recovery.
Thank you for sharing such important insight, i really believe this will help others as well. Peace.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Nicholle

Hi Nicholle, I am so glad you wrote what you did, as I have been very close to doing the exact same thing!
Being with certain friends or a social setting, I too have come close to drinking and taking some pills. The only thing stopping me is the Naltrexone I’m on which blocks Opioid cravings and effects and supposedly alcohol. But I’m still craving alcohol so it’s not working for me on that. So far I’ve been able to not use by changing a routine or not being with certain people but it’s literally a moment away. All I can do is live one day or even one minute at a time and accept this will always be with me and hopefully with time I will achieve that level of sobriety that I am learning from the people in my A.A. Group.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello March class

I am joining you to engage in a month of sobriety. I've been sober since for 7 days and every day is a new adventure. Some days I feel excellent and my urge to drink is in the back of my mind. Some days it's a little harder and my inner voices start looking for any justification to drink.

I plan to stay rooted here every day and be with you all. I've read all you comments and you appear to be a strong group. Not because of your success or lack there of. Because you have a strong desire to change. this is respect and I have the desire to change too.

We can do it together
Old 03-02-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Even though I'm just over 5 weeks sober I find it helpful to remain active in the monthly forum that starts each month.

Here's to a happy, healthy and sober March. I look forward to reading your posts!
Old 03-02-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Went to a get together last night.

One friend arrived (4:30pm) finish his 7th scotch in the car while his wife drove, had a champagne and said "not drinking any more I have to drive".

The host was on more scotchs and kept drinking when we left (10:30pm).

The 3 wives finished 4 to 5 bottles of wine between them.

Me, I sat on lime and sodas all night.

It was funny, no matter what you said someone would take you to task in a drunken stupor. OMG I was like that.

Being out I have no trouble not drinking but home is the killer.

Busy day today and I'll be doing all the driving, so no alcohol for me today.

Havagooday, Marchers.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

hi everyone,
It's great to read everyone's posts.

Nichole - Sorry to hear about last night. I can't be around drinkers at all in early sobriety. Life changes needed and it's good to read your positive post this morning

James-good on you for getting through the night sober. That sounds hellish being in a room of others drinking

Plenty of familiar names in the group. Hello Otter

Hello to everyone else and hope you all have a good Saturday.

I'm trying to do things differently this time. I've just signed up to a sober app. Has anyone done that? I've never done it before so bit unsure how it all works but like the counting days thing and affirmations.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have a sober app and felt good about the days and achievements as they came. Only problem with the app I'm using, I add my relapse or reset my days. Just going to remove it and start another one. But, I don't want to forget about the success I did have since September. It's all important and part of the learning for me.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

All of my wife's and I friends are big drinkers. As can be my wife. I tried to continue doing the get togethers even sober. Tried to show that fun can still be had without getting hammered. I would find places to go or things to do but they all just like to gather at someone's place, drink to excess and tell the same GD stories I've listened to for the past 20 years.

We are all in our mid to late 40's. I cannot make choices for others, only myself. I want to live my life as fully as possible. I don't know how long I will be here so I don't want to miss out on any of the things that life has to offer. I had put so many things off thinking I'm too old, my years are past me, it just won't work. Well, that's all BS. I choose to live today and be in the moment. Experience life fully. Show my boys that life is here for their choosing and never let it leave you wishing you had done.

I did more in the past 4 months sober than I had in the past ten years. Being in a drunken stupor makes us lethargic and complacent.

The best phrase I've read in my year and half on these forums that sends it home for me:

"Alcohol is a time theif"

Has it taken enough from you yet?
Old 03-02-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back Nichole, and glas that losing control so completely didn't result in anything nasty.

Sounds like you know where you went wrong tho?

Congrats on staying the course James.

Day counts are one thing, but I don't think anyone loses the things they achieved with sober time FR, unless they do so willingly.

I think of coming back from a drink more like Version 2.0.

sounds like you're doing well Lena

welcome enginear and Otterisland

D
Old 03-02-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Still few hours before bed but I’m fully committed was offered to drink today and gladly turned it down very happy to be going to bed sober and actually remembering it!!! Tomorrow I need to work on lots of changes people places and triggers and how to deal with them and not set myself up for failure!!!
Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning all from the UK,
Nichole-well done on getting through and not drinking. I have to avoid places and people where drink is being taken or possibly offered, especially in the very early days when I'm too raw and likely to give in.

Finalround - you still have all that sober time and the lessons learned in it so definitely won't forget it

Welcome Enginear - congrats on your just over 1 week

Hi Lena - I hope your struggles ease and you have a better day today. I know for me, making new habits is so critical but takes time.

I like the app - I woke up to it this morning telling me my sober day. Very uplifting first thing

Hope everyone has a good day.
RAL.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Readyatlast finalround jamessquire otterisland enginear lena anyone else I might have missed hopefully you had a lovely sober weekend!!!
Feels good to wake up sober today!!! I’m going to take a lesson from Mother Nature as my spring flowers are try pop up and grow it’s very cold and going to snow today and it’s not stopping them from wanting to grow and become something beautiful
Old 03-03-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning. A good night sleep is one thing I'm especially grateful for these days. Years of restless, fitful nights seemed the norm.

It's not.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post

I'm trying to do things differently this time. I've just signed up to a sober app. Has anyone done that? .
On day 1 I went and bought a big calendar. I've done this a couple times in the past and I have found a physical calendar to be very helpful in visualizing forward and marking off daily success. I mark each day of sobriety with a green smiley face Old school analog.