Notices

Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 4

Old 02-21-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringo123 View Post
Sunflower, great that you've connected with a sponsor.

Anyway, I'm here to say that recovery is possible from a seemingly hopeless state of mind (and body). Mine's been slow and steady. Progress not perfection.

Peace and health to all.
Thank you so much Ringo- I appreciate everything you wrote. I can't tell if I am hopeless or not. I feel beat down, that is for sure. But I am hopeful. If thousands of others can recover and if I could stop drinking, then why on earth shouldn't I be able to do this too?

Glad to see you here...
Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
I'm thinking I could use a more concrete plan. I binged on sugar the last couple of days, and I need to lose 10 or 15 pounds. My main goal is avoiding diabetes and keeping inflammation down, and sugar/simple carbs are my first and apparently last addiction. For today, though, I've had my oats and blueberries, so it's salad for lunch, apple in my office for afternoon snack, and meat/veggies for dinner. Raw nuts for snack. If I can keep that pattern and avoid the evil crap I'll be on my way. I've found the first few days after slipping are the hardest, but I'm determined. What I need long term is a kind of a relapse prevention plan. I do good for a few weeks and them, wham, I make myself feel disgusting... I wish you all well on your journeys... Down with the sugar junk food industrial complex!!!
Hi Zero- I definitely need a plan! My disease has been trying to convince me that I can do this on my own (even figure out the food plan on my own) but I don't think it's true. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be a sugar addict, right?

It's great to see you here- please keep on posting. I am in the same boat- abstain, binge- abstain, binge. I am finally working with a sponsor and I can't wait to see what is about to unfold. I'm scared, very scared. But I am willing to try.

May I ask how you got sober? Do you ever think about trying OA? I did not use AA to get sober but I certainly need OA to get off the food. I can't do this on my own!
Wishing you a wonderful day...
Old 02-21-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

love too you all another Monkey gone.. when did we get so old..
play dance and love someone tonight..

https://youtu.be/xvqeSJlgaNk
Old 02-21-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

ardy.....some of these girls are 40.....still that fantastically fabulous age....
And those who are 50 and 60 are pretty great as well....someone wonderful here who is 65 just old us she got engaged last year.....
Old 02-21-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just passing through. I think this caffeine thing is kicking my butt a little more than I thought it would.
I drank just one cup instead of my usual four, most of this week. Started getting tired and cranky and spaced out. What’s more, I actually think I’m getting achy muscles and joints. I looked it up and sure enough, caffeine withdrawl can cause that. Who knew. I been drinking coffee longer than anything...since I was 15.

Btw is there a caffeine forum? I looked but I couldn’t see one.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi guys.
wondering if I can join this thread?

Im 8 months sober, and have been struggling with my food intake. Gained 20 lbs. def eating way too much sugar. Looking for some support.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

hey bumblebee! Yeah I gained 10 pounds since my last major quit a year ago and even though I've cut way back on my sugar intake I'm struggling to get back to my normal weight. I've never weighed so much since I quit drinking.

My AV loves that one. lol
Old 02-22-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bumblebee2 View Post
Hi guys.
wondering if I can join this thread?

Im 8 months sober, and have been struggling with my food intake. Gained 20 lbs. def eating way too much sugar. Looking for some support.

Thanks
Welcome, BumbleBee. Glad to have you join us.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:30 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Checking in for a peaceful day.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ardy View Post
love too you all another Monkey gone.. when did we get so old..
play dance and love someone tonight..

https://youtu.be/xvqeSJlgaNk
Aw...I forgot about the Monkees! May he rest in peace...
I love what you wrote, "play dance and love someone tonight..." That is beautiful!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Hi all. Just passing through. I think this caffeine thing is kicking my butt a little more than I thought it would.
I drank just one cup instead of my usual four, most of this week. Started getting tired and cranky and spaced out. What’s more, I actually think I’m getting achy muscles and joints. I looked it up and sure enough, caffeine withdrawl can cause that. Who knew. I been drinking coffee longer than anything...since I was 15.

Oh WaterOx, I'm so sorry about the withdrawal symptoms. You could always start your own group if you wanted to, that's what I did with this one.

Or you are welcome to post here as often as you like- caffeine is called a "drug" by so many, and obviously there is an addictive side to it. I often have to stop myself for going to the second (humongous) mug.)

I wonder if there is anything natural you can take to ease the side effects? I found this article:

https://www.betternutrition.com/ask-...-quit-caffeine

I truly hope you feel better. Do you think you could wean more slowly instead? I bet that would help with the withdrawals. What did your doctor recommend? Hang in there...
Old 02-22-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.

Welcome bumblebee. I too gained about 15 pounds in my first year but since January I’ve lost 10. This group has been so amazing and supportive.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Good morning all. Checking in for a peaceful day.

Morning ☀️
Old 02-22-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I would not reduce that fast....

From 4 down to three for a couple of days, then two, then one....it should help with the withdrawal. xx
Old 02-22-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Oh WaterOx, I'm so sorry about the withdrawal symptoms. You could always start your own group if you wanted to, that's what I did with this one.

Or you are welcome to post here as often as you like- caffeine is called a "drug" by so many, and obviously there is an addictive side to it. I often have to stop myself for going to the second (humongous) mug.)

I wonder if there is anything natural you can take to ease the side effects? I found this article:

https://www.betternutrition.com/ask-...-quit-caffeine

I truly hope you feel better. Do you think you could wean more slowly instead? I bet that would help with the withdrawals. What did your doctor recommend? Hang in there...
Thank you very much. It was a great article. I'm looking into more.
Something I've also noticed is that my hands and feet have become extremely cold. An odd feeling, especially because caffeine constricts blood vessels. You'd think with less caffeine I'd have better circulation, not worse. But who's to say what is going on. When I quit alcohol I had some similarly strange effects where my extremities became cold...and when I smoked, forget about it...I was Mr. Freeze. Anyways I think that is in large part contributing to the stiffness which contributes to the pain in the joints.

On the plus side, my blood pressure was way down for the first time in a long time- and I actually managed to get a little more sleep last night.

Anyways I think I'll try starting a caffeine thread. That is surely an under-served topic around here
Old 02-23-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Good morning all, disturbed night so planning to grab a catch up nap later. Having said that, my energy levels are pretty good. Keto going well. I am still rather unused to feeling full and satisfied by food. Normally it is quite the opposite.

Been pottering about getting housework done, a bird had "blessed" the back wall as it flew past so I cleaned that off!

I am amazed at my level of patience and feeling that anything that comes along can be handled. I am trusting life.

Have been revisiting the Joe & Charlie Big Book audios. I love 'em. Such a comfort, love that the BB addresses my whole life and all my addictions.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:07 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thank you very much. It was a great article. I'm looking into more.
Something I've also noticed is that my hands and feet have become extremely cold. An odd feeling, especially because caffeine constricts blood vessels. You'd think with less caffeine I'd have better circulation, not worse. But who's to say what is going on. When I quit alcohol I had some similarly strange effects where my extremities became cold...and when I smoked, forget about it...I was Mr. Freeze. Anyways I think that is in large part contributing to the stiffness which contributes to the pain in the joints.

On the plus side, my blood pressure was way down for the first time in a long time- and I actually managed to get a little more sleep last night.

Anyways I think I'll try starting a caffeine thread. That is surely an under-served topic around here
I think a caffeine thread is a great idea!
I took a spiritual development class last year and in one class we broke up into groups according to things we felt we needed to eliminate. The groups were drugs, alcohol, caffeine and sugar. I was in the sugar group of course.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and I hope you begin to feel better soon.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:10 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Doing ok over here- I am loving my sponsor and the support she is giving me.
My husband and I are not talking however, since a fight we had on Thursday night which was trivial and all based on our biggest challenge- communication.

We do have an appointment on Wednesday with a new and very expensive therapist who specializes in relationships, separation and divorce.

About to get ready for work. I love my 7 am shift because I am able to listen to an OA podcast while I stock shelves in the store for the first hour.

Wishing you all a peaceful and abstinent day.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
I'm thinking I could use a more concrete plan. I binged on sugar the last couple of days, and I need to lose 10 or 15 pounds. My main goal is avoiding diabetes and keeping inflammation down, and sugar/simple carbs are my first and apparently last addiction. For today, though, I've had my oats and blueberries, so it's salad for lunch, apple in my office for afternoon snack, and meat/veggies for dinner. Raw nuts for snack. If I can keep that pattern and avoid the evil crap I'll be on my way. I've found the first few days after slipping are the hardest, but I'm determined. What I need long term is a kind of a relapse prevention plan. I do good for a few weeks and them, wham, I make myself feel disgusting... I wish you all well on your journeys... Down with the sugar junk food industrial complex!!!
Thanks. The salad includes nuts and seeds, but rarely meat. It gets me through, usually.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Hi Zero-

May I ask how you got sober? Do you ever think about trying OA? I did not use AA to get sober but I certainly need OA to get off the food. I can't do this on my own!
Wishing you a wonderful day...
There's no OA around here. I'm in a small town, pretty isolated. Probably 100 miles to the nearest OA meeting. Plus, overeating isn't really the issue; more like just wanting to eat healthier. Sugar is my nemesis, but my last blood tests weren't prediabetic. I'm just wanting to do better and feel better. Hangovers kind of cured my alcohol problem. I was sick of being sick and just quit. Don't get me wrong, I quit many times before it stuck. Meditation, reading, soul-searching, changing jobs, changing my lifestyle... All that kept me sober once the acute withdrawal passed. I didn't really do AA due to small town politics, but I went to some meetings for a couple of years when traveling. Not really my thing, but I learned what I learned and kept moving.

Right now I'm sick and wanting comfort food, but I'm just nursing a bottle of Pedialyte and watching Orange is the New Black. I'm feeling hilariously pathetic and lame. Have a good night, y'all.