Old 02-16-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, NotMe2pls.
Be well, carry on healing, take care
Old 02-16-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Sorry for your loss, Canuck.

Went and got Mexican food carry out. There’s a liquor store right next door. It was tempting! But I was good.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Keep the good work Februarians!
I find courage and positive energy reading your posts.

Thanks from a 2016 Decemberite
Old 02-16-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
Addy, I think you need to get out of the house. Leaving the house for an AA meet seems to help you. Maybe a walk, window shop, a drive to a park, think about YOGA classes, a hobby, ...
There's a Sticky on 'Looking for something to do?'
Fight the thoughts all the way and post here.
JS
Thanks James. Times like that it's better for me to stay home. I was never a home drinker. I was a bar drinker so I don't trust myself. I am much better now though. Thank you again!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Same here Canuck. Freely admit I haven't gotten involved with AA, don't feel comfortable with it at all. Seems to me that it keeps alcohol at the centre of your existence, only difference being that you are always focusing on its absence. If you know what I mean....

Happiest sober ppl here seem to me the ones who, as Dee says, have just 'taken it off the table' completely. I kind of did something similar with cigs years ago.

Losing a parent is very difficult. You have to find a whole new normal. Which only ever comes with the passing of time. But staying drunk will only delay the process I think.

Hang in there Addy. It will pass and you will be so glad that its not another day 1.
Thank you Canguy. Im fine now. I took a nap and ate dinner. I must admit I am cranky though. I think today is one of those days that I just need to get through and if the only thing I did today was stay sober it was a good day.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

I went through years of numbing myself - I ended up being scared of every emotion - it's not a good place to be.

I think facing life head on - even the really bad, hard, tough stuff - helps me grow as a person.

D
Old 02-16-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starstarstar View Post
Confrontation wakes up everything... hate it! but at times I’ve learned from it. It sort of forced me too which sucks because I don’t do well at all with fear, intimidation and so on but after spending years avoiding it or coping with a glass of wine plus I hope I’ve gotten a bit better at it. It’s not easy and it’s great that you locked yourself in your room to nap IMO. Deal with it later when you’re in a better state of mind, right?

Good on you for taking time away from it without resorting to drink.
Thank you Star. Drinking has never made anything better...only worse. It's not worth it. At this point I think it's just a "habit". When something upsets me or I feel "fear, intimidation" etc. I think I NEED to drink. I don't. Feeling my feelings (good or BAD) won't kill me but alcohol might and eventually will!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I went through years of numbing myself - I ended up being scared of every emotion - it's not a good place to be.

I think facing life head on - even the really bad, hard, tough stuff - helps me grow as a person.

D
I agree and I wish I could’ve been that strong after a week or two sober but I was no where near it.. I was fragile to the point of breaking if anyone looked at me wrong.. okay, what I perceived as “wrong”.

Every ounce of strength I had those first few days and weeks was used to avoid drinking. All the other hard stuff had to wait 😬
Old 02-16-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hiiii!

I agree.. take it off the table. I know I don’t want to think about drinking or not drinking all the time.
I look at AA in a different way. The meetings I go to don't focus on not drinking, they focus on living sober and being happy, joyous and free. I am definitely not happy, joyous and free yet but so many people in the rooms are and I want what they have. I need the face to face connection I get in the rooms of AA. Some of the people there are literally like the family I always needed and never had. They know me completely...warts and all...and love me uncondtionally.

That's just ME though. I completely support ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that works for other people. If eating a can of spinach every day keeps you sober and happy then GO FOR IT! haha.

I take what I want from AA (and what helps me) and leave the rest. Like I said...I don't want to just be dry...I want to be happy! I need to deal with the underlying causes of my drinking because if I don't I will just replace alcohol with something else that will numb me.

Will I stay in AA forever??? Who knows? One day at a time. Right now it helps. If I ever get to a point where it doesn't help me be sober and happy I won't go anymore.

BTW...are you in this class? I don't think I have seen your here before.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I took the day off too today. No thoughts of drinking (today), but just too overwhelmed with stuff to do. I did do some banking, and walked this morning, but that was it. Have been relaxing and watching movies....a great day! We can do this guys!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Yes thank you Dee!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Keep the good work Februarians!
I find courage and positive energy reading your posts.

Thanks from a 2016 Decemberite
Thanks for checking in on us Koala!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Addy47 View Post
Thank you Star. Drinking has never made anything better...only worse. It's not worth it. At this point I think it's just a "habit". When something upsets me or I feel "fear, intimidation" etc. I think I NEED to drink. I don't. Feeling my feelings (good or BAD) won't kill me but alcohol might and eventually will!
You’re so right.

Worst day or the happiest day ever we’d see it as a reason to have a drink.
Developing new ways to cope is hard and I’m still working on it.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotMe2pls View Post
Hello all. I feel the need to explain myself. I’m still sober. Have been here reading sporadically but having trouble focusing. I haven’t posted because #1 I am just so damn tired! STILL. I am thinking (and afraid) that I have already done too much damage to my body & it may be too late to reverse. #2 I felt as if it was rude to just jump in & post about myself without relaying to the rest of you. But to be honest, I get so confused who’s who & what’s going on with them & getting people mixed up. Maybe it’s because I use my phone only & read here for a few minutes at a time & maybe it’s because my brain is just too fried. Feel like I need to make a list of each person & cliff notes! Anyway, I hope that explains my silence some.
I AM still struggling though. With a lot. As I see some of you are as well. But I promise I’m here & will try to come out of this zombie phase soon & engage more. I am sending hugs to all my fellow sober peeps!
Hey NM2, glad you checked in! I totally understand how you feel...I am exhausted too. It's like the flu at times. My body must be working overtime to heal the damage. (I hope!)

And if it makes you feel better I am on here every day and I can't even remember what class I am in half the time let alone the details of all our class member's stories and lives. I think we are all in the same boat. Our brains are healing.

You never need to apologize here.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeful528 View Post
Hugs back! And don't worry. Post as much and however much your brain is allowing you too. Everything is going to get easier but I can really relate to everything everyone is saying but I feel like addy said, that this last time I did a number on myself, and its taking my concentration and brain some time to heal.
Agree 100%!!!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
I took the day off too today. No thoughts of drinking (today), but just too overwhelmed with stuff to do. I did do some banking, and walked this morning, but that was it. Have been relaxing and watching movies....a great day! We can do this guys!
Hey Trudging! Good to see you. Sounds like you are having a good day. I wanted to take a walk today but was too tired and it was too cold. I can't wait until it warms up!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Addy47 View Post
I look at AA in a different way. The meetings I go to don't focus on not drinking, they focus on living sober and being happy, joyous and free. I am definitely not happy, joyous and free yet but so many people in the rooms are and I want what they have. I need the face to face connection I get in the rooms of AA. Some of the people there are literally like the family I always needed and never had. They know me completely...warts and all...and love me uncondtionally.

That's just ME though. I completely support ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that works for other people. If eating a can of spinach every day keeps you sober and happy then GO FOR IT! haha.

I take what I want from AA (and what helps me) and leave the rest. Like I said...I don't want to just be dry...I want to be happy! I need to deal with the underlying causes of my drinking because if I don't I will just replace alcohol with something else that will numb me.

Will I stay in AA forever??? Who knows? One day at a time. Right now it helps. If I ever get to a point where it doesn't help me be sober and happy I won't go anymore.

BTW...are you in this class? I don't think I have seen your here before.
Good! Focus on the positive and the end result 🙂

I’m not in this class but probably should be as I’ve been thinking about drinking to escape these last few weeks, unfortunately. Spending time here at SR is helping me to remember why I shouldn’t drink.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Being around my family — who I love dearly — is tough sometimes, because the liquor flows so freely and constantly. Tonight I didn’t drink, but I did find myself wanting one as my brothers and cousins put them back.

No — I shouldn’t say I wanted “a drink.” Because that’s never what I want. I held strong, though.

Keep on, February class.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good! Focus on the positive and the end result 🙂

I’m not in this class but probably should be as I’ve been thinking about drinking to escape these last few weeks, unfortunately. Spending time here at SR is helping me to remember why I shouldn’t drink.

YOU SHOULD JOIN THIS CLASS!
We'd love to have you StarStar!

What has been going on with you the last few weeks that has you thinking about drinking? Anything in particular? I know that we don't really need anything to happen to make us want to drink but just seeing if you need to process anything...