Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 1

Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

It’s very funny how when I drink I suddenly want to talk to Cousin Lou thrice removed and Susie who I went to second grade with.... but absolutely have no desire to when I’m sober! It’s crazy how hijacked our brains become. It is interesting though about how some are saying alcoholism is a social disease. Don’t know if you saw the Ted Talk about the opposite of addiction being connection. I think deep down I am very lonely and it took me awhile to accept I could not do this alone. I’m so glad we all can check in with each other here!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by G00SEM00SE View Post
Joining the February class. Day 1 here. Feeling miserable. I want to drink but I also don’t at all. So conflicting just feeling really down that I can’t beat this. I’m going to stay close by here. Could use a hug.
welcome goose. Many of us have recently been exactly where you are now. Day 1 seems the bottom of a huge mountain but the days soon add up. Good vibes x
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

I don't feel as bad as Day 1, but because of the amount I drank, and the stupid things I did I still feel absolutely terrible.
The anxiety is no longer constant but still there.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Welcome GooseMoose! Day 1 is awesome and in many ways the most important 24 hours. In some ways, we are all always on day 1. I look forward to reading your posts and reflections.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

[QUOTE. In some ways, we are all always on day 1. [/QUOTE]

Listae.......very true.

Canuck, good to read you posts......you really have come out the other side of it.

Read every morning here, just not posting much, apologies.
Day 18 starting.

Later....
Old 02-13-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Minutes drag on to what seems like foreverrrrrr on day 1.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Welcome GooseMoose it will only get better.
Do you like hot chocolate or tea
Old 02-13-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeful528 View Post
Welcome GooseMoose it will only get better.
Do you like hot chocolate or tea
kind of? Right now nothing sounds good
Old 02-13-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. Hang in there. It really does get better.
I find tea or a hot chocolate and taking small bites of something
Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Joining the February class. Day 1 here. Feeling miserable. I want to drink but I also don’t at all. So conflicting just feeling really down that I can’t beat this. I’m going to stay close by here. Could use a hug.
I don't feel as bad as Day 1, but because of the amount I drank, and the stupid things I did I still feel absolutely terrible.
Hugs to both of you!

I like your name GOOSEMOOSE. Us geese have to stick together!

Off to bowling....
Old 02-13-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Thanks FoieGras
Hugs to you too.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Great AwkwardKitty! Congrats on day 11 and hope you enjoy your new book and chocolate. Glad your urges are lessening!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Welcome Goose! (((Hug))) We are all in the same boat. Stick close. We are stronger together.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liveher View Post
It’s very funny how when I drink I suddenly want to talk to Cousin Lou thrice removed and Susie who I went to second grade with.... but absolutely have no desire to when I’m sober! It’s crazy how hijacked our brains become. It is interesting though about how some are saying alcoholism is a social disease. Don’t know if you saw the Ted Talk about the opposite of addiction being connection. I think deep down I am very lonely and it took me awhile to accept I could not do this alone. I’m so glad we all can check in with each other here!

I agree with ALL of this Liveher! I swear you read my mind sometimes!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Ditto!!! It will get better. Let’s just keep the plug in the jug.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Hey Listae & Canguy!

Goose...I totally know what you mean! Omg. When I was drinking YEARS went by like minutes! Now that I’m sober MINUTES seem like years. How annoying. I’m gonna keep trudging forward though! Not climbing this part of the mountain again! No way! These 9 days have been hard.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Minutes drag on to what seems like foreverrrrrr on day 1.
I was in your situation 12 days ago. I didn't sleep until day 5 because of anxiety. Take it minute by minute if you have to.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Addy47 View Post
Morning everyone. Checking in on day 9. If I make it one more day I will be in double digits! I am promising myself I won’t drink today. I’m going to a meeting tonight so that should help.

Like my new Avatar? I’ve been trying to find one that seems to describe where I am in life & I think I’ve found it. It reminds me that sobriety is a journey. I’m walkimg towards the sunlight & happiness and away from darkness & pain. God is in that sunlight. Hope is in that sunlight. My sobriety tools are in the back pack. Also reminds me that although I don’t have to do this alone...it’s ultimately between me & God. I can only save “myself”. I’ve been waiting my entire life for someone to “save” me & no one did & no one is going to. Time to save myself. Pretty deep, huh? Lol

Have a good day everyone!

Yep LiveHer! I can’t control it either! I’m done too!
Hi Addy, I LOVE your new Avatar and your thoughts about it. We need to remind ourselves of these good messages and the new path we want to embrace. You are my recovery twin I can TOTALLY relate to the thoughts about saving yourself and to stop waiting/expecting for everyone else to. I’m so there too. I had this big realization recently that I may never have learned how to self soothe in a healthy way or deal with healing myself within all my life and it occurred to me that I’m always looking for something (alcohol) or someone externally to heal me. I think many of us are not taught that because neither were our parents. Also, I think a lot of old unresolved child feelings in our subconscious come bubbling to the surface when we are struggling to stop and also when we’re in recovery. If we remember maybe that we’re learning to heal our own selves on this journey, we can maybe be more compassionate and patient when “it rears its ugly head”. I sure hope so.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome GOOSEMOOSE

Things will get better - feeling low is pretty normal - drinking for years can mess up our brain chemistry for a little while...but it's only temporary

D
Old 02-13-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liveher View Post
It is interesting though about how some are saying alcoholism is a social disease. Don’t know if you saw the Ted Talk about the opposite of addiction being connection. I think deep down I am very lonely and it took me awhile to accept I could not do this alone. I’m so glad we all can check in with each other here!
Wow! This is a really useful thing to know. I went to therapy yesterday and we discussed how what I was searching for is connection. So, the notion that the "opposite of addiction" is connection really resonated with me...For the last ten to twelve years, I mostly drank alone and then (OH MY!) did I have episodes of embarrassing drunk dialing and texting. The worst is waking up the next day and feeling so anxious that you offended someone somehow but you don;'t fully know who or how. Crazy.

But, ultimately, I am only beginning to realize that drinking was the cause rather than the remedy for my loneliness. I haven't been to a meeting in years, although I want to go in some area different than where I live. I don't follow a particular program but try to learn from various approaches. However, just being connected on SR where you can be raw and honest but also anonymous, has lifted much of my desire to drink. So, yes, to "connection" rather than "addiction."