Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 1

Old 02-08-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Now that I have fully detoxed, I can distinguish between withdrawal anxiety and the anxiety I experience normally when sober. It's not nearly as intense as it is when detoxing, but I feel it constantly. It can get out of hand sometimes and turn into a panic attack. It's at this point I will usually ruin a sober streak. I know a few beers will instantly calm me down and end the attack. I went back on antidepressants to manage this but it takes a month to kick in. I need to be vigilant for the next few weeks as far as anxiety triggers.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:56 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Not right now, though I did the last time I successfully quit. It was a cognitive behavior group with the VA. It did help a lot.

ETA: this was in response to Addy’s face to face question
Old 02-08-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Morning fellow freefebs (thanx listae)

Purple!.....I remember. Good you're here too. Maybe this time we can do better.
Hi to all the ppl who've arrived overnight, good to see the seats filling up. Bring on a full house....

Canuck....that was a tough withdrawal, if you can pull your ar*se thru that, you can lead us all on to a better place.

The luxury of sleep. Woken at 5 a.m. by the predicted cool rain which we need so badly. Its relaxing. Drift back to sleep till 8. Wake again.....there's some kind of feelgood stuff running around inside that you don't get on alcohol. Just. Feels. Good.
Get up, get the paper in, grind up coffee and sit down to read here. I usually keep a daily journal, write out a frank description of a typical morning when drinking. Not a good way to be.....

So......Saturday. Saturday will, as usual, bring its moments. Sat morning is ok. The morning coffee and paper read routine, things are open, its sort of buzzing outside, cafe's open etc. Its later in the afternoon that it can get harder. It gets quiet.....I'm alone as usual and there is a long stretch of solitary ahead. SR goes quiet....think I've written before that Sat afternoon and night is like flying around the dark side of the moon.....out of all contact with the world and in the dark for many hours. But, have done it before.....you do come back out into the light and the world appears again.

Ok.....have a good day everybody, check in later.....
Old 02-08-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Canguy: have you thought about joining the Weekender Thread? It helps me get through the weekends without drinking.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
Now that I have fully detoxed, I can distinguish between withdrawal anxiety and the anxiety I experience normally when sober. It's not nearly as intense as it is when detoxing, but I feel it constantly. It can get out of hand sometimes and turn into a panic attack. It's at this point I will usually ruin a sober streak. I know a few beers will instantly calm me down and end the attack. I went back on antidepressants to manage this but it takes a month to kick in. I need to be vigilant for the next few weeks as far as anxiety triggers.
Hang in there Canuck. I totally understand how you feel. Anxiety is often a huge trigger for me too. I am determined to get over the hurdle this time though. I really don't want to go back to alcohol. Every time I drink it gets harder and harder to recover.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Great post Canguy. Saturday afternoons have always been very hard for me too. (and Sunday afternoons). Im not sure why??? I do fine in the morning and late at night on those days but the afternoons are rough. I am promising that I will not drink tomorrow! (or today)

It is only 6:45 p.m. on Friday night where I am. Where are you? It's already Saturday where you are?
Old 02-08-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome trudgingagain and Foie Gras

I 'just' used SR Addy.

D
Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Addy.......Australia.
We are always first into the new day. Know what you mean about Sunday too.
But I don't have the looming working week any more.....

Your comment re It getting harder to come back to sober each time ; so true.
I'd been overseas, got back, that flat, 'what's next' moment. Have a drink. Just for a week.

Well, that lasted the best part of 6 months......and most of it, really wanted to get back, but just get caught in needing the temp relief of it too much. It gets you.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Addy.......Australia.
We are always first into the new day. Know what you mean about Sunday too.
But I don't have the looming working week any more.....

Your comment re It getting harder to come back to sober each time ; so true.
I'd been overseas, got back, that flat, 'what's next' moment. Have a drink. Just for a week.

Well, that lasted the best part of 6 months......and most of it, really wanted to get back, but just get caught in needing the temp relief of it too much. It gets you.
It does creep up on you. Last time we were in a class together, I made it a solid six months. Was feeling great. Then....decided I could have one or two camping. Was fine with that for most of the rest of the year. But all last year it went from the weekend to a couple days during the week, but only one or two. Then it went to three of four a couple days a week, then every day. By the end of 2018 I had a serious problem again, with my body screaming at me to STOP!

So I’ve stopped.

I realized today that I quit smoking forever in February 1999. In an odd way it gives me encouragement that exactly 20 years later I’m doing something good for me again.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

It's illuminating to hear about your experiences trudgingagain and Foie Gras.

I do have a voice going on in my head that I'm only going to do this for a little while, feel better, and then drink moderately like a normal person who smiles on television with a glass of red wine. It's important to be reminded of how and why we are all on SR (whether it is a retry or for the first time). I've been a revolving door in sobriety for years. But I lost a job opportunity that I love and seriously damaged my professional reputation in December. That was hitting bottom for me.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Foie Gras, my story is very similar to yours. Things were relatively stable for a time, but the frequency and volume ultimately increased to a point where I knew I had to stop.

Glad to be here.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Glad you (and all of us) are here too! 🙂
Old 02-09-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Day 8. Slept 4 hours, which is all I could ask for this early in sobriety. Anxiety is still lingering. Going to a couple AA meetings today. Besides my main trigger, Anxiety, boredom runs a close second. I have ADHD which means I get bored of things very quickly. I have trouble even sitting through a movie or TV show without surfing the net at the same time. I need to constantly find something that is stimulating. Alcohol slows things down for me. I can watch anything if I am drinking.

Have a good day February class.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I initially got sober in 1991...for 9 years. Then again, a couple of years later, I sobered up for 7 years....thought I could "moderate", so I had a few....then a few more....got sober again for 4 years, and my last sobriety date was in Oct. 2013. When sh** started hitting the fan....or sometimes, just to "take a break" from everything, or any other excuse that I could think of, again I tried to moderate. Moderation has turned into daily drinking (all day since I'm retired. ) Talk about tolerance! At the end, I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a day! I knew things were going to hell, (ie finances, health, relationships, etc.), but , I continued to drink and rationalize it. I wasn't hurting anyone else. I didn't have to work, etc., etc. Honestly, I am surprised that my husband stuck around.....BUT then he's a heavy beer drinker/alcoholic himself. He has stopped drinking also! Today, I am just glad that I won't drink today. I am looking forward to sober day #2, and I woke up at 6:30 am feeling great!
Old 02-09-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Good for you, trudging!

In January we quit as a family. That lasted less than a week. So now I’m on my own again. I know I can quit with him drinking, although I do get annoyed.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
SIB

Day 10, its slow but I think I have this point figured out (not my first rodeo). I think its the adjustment from "drunk life" to "normal sober life" and it takes some getting used to. It takes months from my experience as you don't know what to do with yourself.

I have no clue, I know I have to get out and about but I am still sluggish and motivation for that kinda thing is low, but it'll come.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Yes you can! When I met my husband (1996), I was sober and I stayed that way for quite a few years. Throughout our marriage, he has quit a couple of times, but (honestly) I have only seen him drunk about 3-4 times. So, if he starts again, that will have nothing to do with me. This is an "inside job"
Old 02-09-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I’m currently reading “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace. So far I’m finding it very enlightening. When I previously quit, I harbored a wish that I could be a normal drinker. I thought the problem was me. Wouldn’t it be great to enjoy the occasional drink? Well, we know how that ended. “This Naked Mind” strives to remove any desire to drink by shining a light on the addictive unhealthy nature of alcohol. If you see alcohol as a poison, even drinking in moderation loses its allure. So far it’s been a great read.

Good luck today everyone!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

SIB....I remember (from my many rodeos) that at about 90 days the skies seem to clear
Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

WD...I always harbored that wish.....