Notices

Class of September 2018 Part 4

Old 03-16-2019, 04:50 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Lol, I can smell the dirt too. I am such a boy. Always have been. I love the dirt, digging, gardening, tractors... Looking for areas I want to work on I the yard this year. Still too muddy tho. I think I'm going to put in a putting green next to my koi pond and wAterfall.

My youngest son is just like me. We have a tractor that I taught him to operate when he was 7. It was great therapy for him. Now he's 14 and I don't get to use it anymore. It's his. People are amazed how expertly he can run it.

Up early with my coffee on a nice sunny morning. Family of deer outside my window this morning eating the early buds in my neighbors yard as I drank my coffee ( so good sober). Very serene.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

So proud of you finalround....sobriety sounds good on you

Hopeful, I do miss the smell of the earth, the anticipation of everything blooming in the springtime. Here we begin to brace ourselves for what is to come.....a long, hot, miserable summer. By May, it will be into the 100's (degrees) with no relief in sight until November.

Bumboid, you sound like your really happy in this new sober life, amazing!

Happy Saturday all, another busy day for me. I can do anything sober!!

***Ben, if your reading this thread, we welcome you back in, no matter what's going on. We're here for you, and that will never change.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

I can picture where everyone is, and it all sounds amazing
Have a great sober weekend everyone.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Being a bit of a gear head, i understood "cogs".

Sober Sunday morning all.

Feeling good and accomplishing a lot. Feeling a bit resentful towards our group of friends though. I feel I'm just not accepted now that I don't drink. No invites or messages about anything. I'm in a better place but it can still hurt a little.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Good morning and cheers to a sober weekend!

Final, I am starting to make new friends that don't drink, planning activities that don't include drinking!

The funny thing is....these people have been in my life a long time and I never considered expanding on those relationships.

Why?? Because they didn't drink! I started feeling pretty lonely too and isolated in my sober life. Not a good combination!

I took inventory of who I already knew and wondered what would happen if I reached out for social support....

I ended up starting deeper relationships with those around me and realized that I didn't have to look very far for friendship.

Here are some places you might consider:

Clients you've had for years, always invitinting you for coffee
That neighbor who seems to want to talk about his grass growing skills
Parents at the school your child attends, maybe one has a similar interest

Anyway, look around you and you might be surprised at who is right there, just waiting to start a healthy friendship with you!!

Have a beautiful Sunday gang
Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Good morning and cheers to a sober weekend!

Final, I am starting to make new friends that don't drink, planning activities that don't include drinking!

The funny thing is....these people have been in my life a long time and I never considered expanding on those relationships.

Why?? Because they didn't drink! I started feeling pretty lonely too and isolated in my sober life. Not a good combination!

I took inventory of who I already knew and wondered what would happen if I reached out for social support....

I ended up starting deeper relationships with those around me and realized that I didn't have to look very far for friendship.

Here are some places you might consider:

Clients you've had for years, always invitinting you for coffee
That neighbor who seems to want to talk about his grass growing skills
Parents at the school your child attends, maybe one has a similar interest

Anyway, look around you and you might be surprised at who is right there, just waiting to start a healthy friendship with you!!

Have a beautiful Sunday gang
Great advice. Thank you.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Yes the insanity of feeling better, getting your life amazing and then thinking because everything is so amazing now would be the perfect time to ruin it all.

So I was taking out the garbage tonight, went to grab a coat that isn't my favourite, as I don't like touching the garbage in my regular winter jacket.

Couldn't find it. I don't care about the coat. I have many I love way more. But it made me remember again my last drunk bc I'm pretty sure I wore it to the bar and left it there.

I'm trying to reshift my thinking, being grateful to be sober again. Lost a coat gained sobriety. But it took me back to that embarassing, humiliating last drunk. Other peoples opinions don't matter. It matters with me, how I feel about myself, and spiritually, however, it also humiliating.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

On the plus side, I've been spring cleaning and purging my closet to keep only what I love and wear, so its ok.

Its another lesson and reason of how I don't want to drink anymore, and I like my authentic self so much more.

And its probably a good thing to not dwell there, but revisit where it can take me.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good nights sleep is in order B.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:19 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi All, I’m on day 177. Pleased with my progress but feeling a bit empty lately for some reason. Life has thrown up a few challenges since I stopped drinking - watching a close relative’s life totally unravel due to his alcoholism and his refusal to acknowledge it, the recent death of a close and too young friend, and it seems the worlds getting more dangerous by the minute. I guess maybe all these things are bringing me down. I’m not tempted to drink, in my mind that is off the table as an option. Anyone else still struggling with dark moods at times?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Sept 2018 group, Champ!!

It's going to be a beautiful sober day
Old 03-19-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Hey Champ.
Yes, I find that my moods can vary in sobriety and especially with life events like those, but one thing I know from my repetitive research, is that drinking never makes it better.
Try to remember it always improves in time. Getting fresh air, walks, eating well and taking vitamins, light exercise can help me.
Hope you find some peace soon.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

I'm still going strong.

Lately my health anxiety has been elevated. If anyone is familiar, it can be debilitating. I have a terrible fear of heart failure. Any slight palpitation or dizzyness (after a workout) sends my mind reeling. Then over analyzing every symptom I experience and they become exaggerated. I can rationalize them to a degree as they mimic the same symptoms I've had for years. But I still get very worked up. Been to the ER multiple times over the years with 0 evidence of a heart attack.

I have a dr's appointment this week so maybe that is why they are flaring up. I'm doing great otherwise. Not drinking, exercising, eating well, lost 10lbs since my last visit in September. Should be feeling great. It's very frustrating because it really is exhausting.

Cure one illness just to be reminded of my mortality by another. Arrrrgh!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Final, I think when we start seeing our 50s in the near future, it's easy to start thinking of all the illnesses that can occur. All we can do is try to live a good life, take care of our bodies and minds, and have faith that we are a part of something bigger....than ourselves.

Stressing will only make you feel trapped, when in reality, you are free.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Happy Spring September Friends!

I hope this new season is filled with hope and peace, the kind of pure joy that can only be found by being our true authentic selves. I know that my life has been forever changed by my addictions and my journey into recovery from those addictions. Today I am voicing my total commitment to never again be shackled by the chains of addiction, Today and everyday, I choose freedom. I choose to love myself more than I ever loved any mind altering substance.

Please re-commit with me today friends, spring is here and we have an amazing life to live!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Thank you WF and Bumboid. Just voicing it helps too. So does knowing it's not just me. Feel Ike I can drive myself mad at times.

I'm definitely recommitting to sobriety WF. No way.

My wife hasn't been drinking and I think it is getting thru to her that we need to be a team with similar goals for this to work.

A sunny spring day here and kind of mild. Sunday will be biking weather and I'll be out for sure
Old 03-21-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Good morning gang.

I'm posting in the March class. You can start to see a pattern to our drinking struggles. Tough start at the begging of the month. Start gaining some traction and optimism mid month. Then 7-14 days of sobriety you start to see the slips and relapses as the month comes to an end. I know I was the same in the past.

With so many clear patterns in addictive behavior it's unfortunate it's so hard to stop it.

I feel a bit like the coach. I've seen it, done it and can offer advice. But, we have to be willing to act on the advice. Sometimes the pull to drink is so strong that it's easy to give in.

Just some reflection. I'm not going to drink today, because I don't drink.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

I've made an appt to see the doc again on Monday and hope to get some advice on my sleeping issues. I think they are hormonal...lol, getting old isn't for sissy's

Final, one thing that I have noticed as a common denominator in the relapse cycle is stress. Everyone is so stressed these days. Work, family, money, relationships ect...an overload of stress can cause one to go back to self medicating. Hey, it's so easy to grab a bottle and numb a little....right?

This time I have done everything in my power to relieve stress, give myself a fighting chance to get deep into my recovery, take care of me. This of coarse means sacrificing some things.

But, I am willing to do whatever it takes to stay far away from the rabbit hole. After 30 years of drinking research, I was willing to sacrifice anything to rid myself of the beast.

Have a beautiful, blessed day
Old 03-21-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Have a great day everyone!
I fully commit to staying and keeping my sobriety, and very happy that spring is here.
Keep doing all of the great work Final and know that it will improve.
Great job Bumboid sounds very fresh and pretty, great work.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you hopeful. You sound so much better. Cheers me up.