Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 5

Old 02-05-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Great to hear, Bonnie! Glad it wasn't as bad as you feared.

I've never had surgery but did have my first prostate exam last year... no where near the painful experience that so many people claim it to be. Same thing with needles and bee stings... unless you are allergic to bees, of course.

I didn't particularly get a whole lot out of "The Truth About Alcohol". It definitely didn't put alcohol in as negative of a light as it should have.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Bonnie - Really glad it went well and wasn't bad. I've had a few surgeries and with a couple exceptions they all went easier than I thought they would. Rest and recover now. And YES, 30 days is a month! Congrats!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Day 31. I might check out that alcohol show on Netflix, I’m a little curious.

So how is everyone today?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Bonniefloyd - I am doing good thank you for asking. I did watch the truth about alchohol on netflix. It was more for people that drink much less than I did. It was good though.

I have not posted much because I have been so busy. I really like my new job but I am swamped all day long. If I was still drinking I'm not sure I could handle all the work.

I have no desire to drink Monday through Thursday. I know I need to be at 100% every day for work. Fridays are still tough. When I get off work I feel I deserve a drink because of how productive I was all week long. Of course I dont have one.

I also started running. I work at home for my new job so I got a year pass at a gym near by. I have been running 1.5 miles on my lunch break on there indoor track. I plan to try and increase the distance over time. They also have a pool so I think I will start swimming again.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Exercise is good, Rd2quit. I don't run yet with the cold weather but I am up to about 4 miles a day on the treadmill, done at a 10 degree incline with 10 lb ankle weights. Then push-ups and sit-ups and weights 3 or 4 days a week. That feels good. This is both the lightest and strongest I've been since I was in my early 20's. I wore jeans on Sunday I don't know if I had ever worn before because the waist was so small and they were loose on me. That was kinda cool. And while I'm patting myself on the back, got the urge over the weekend and measured and I'm rockin' 20 inch biceps now. Not trying to brag, and everyone has their own goals and priorities, but its good for me to be able to tell someone that. Its good for me to remember those kinds of things because its important for my mindset to remember and be proud. Today is going well, very consciously working to stay out of the funk I let myself get into yesterday.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rd2quit View Post
Bonniefloyd - I am doing good thank you for asking. I did watch the truth about alchohol on netflix. It was more for people that drink much less than I did. It was good though.
This is very accurate. It is also going to cover topics that don't apply to someone who is abstaining... like how much more we eat when we are consuming alcohol.

It also assumes there is an amount of drinking that is considered "safe" but the reality is there is no amount of "safe drinking".

"This Naked Mind" book and podcast more accurately portrays the negative implications of alcohol consumption.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I'm feeling good today... but feeling a bit lethargic. I REALLY need to exercise regularly again. I think I am fully recovered from my shin splints from the CA trip.

The days are getting longer and, presumably, the weather will start getting better. It is so easy to get stir crazy in the Midwest from being indoors all of the time!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad it went well Bonnie

D
Old 02-06-2019, 10:25 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Full disclosure... I have lost a lot of my inspiration to get sober recently. However, I have a very strong urge to move to the Southwest US and get healthy and fit.

I am living a total lie right now... living day to day... with daily habits that push me further away from my goals.

I am tempted to blame the weather (no sun, ice storms, snow storms, Polar Vortex) but know it is a cop out because I fell into a similar web during the end of my California trip.

I am still waiting for the "right time", I guess. That "right time" may never come at this rate.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah waiting for my bottom got me nowhere but wasted 20 years TJV.

I actually liuved through a fw things/catatrophes that would have been a bottom to anyone else...but i kept drinking.

I think its much better to say thats it and draw a line in the sand. Choose your moment - and don't dilly dally...choose it today and own it.

That way you can walk away with some, if not most of the things you love - health, family, self respect etc.

Alcohols telling you it's your coping measure but you know it's not working - may as well throw the crutch away and start walking on your own as soon as you can man.

D
Old 02-07-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

TeeJay - I'm sorry you feel as though you lost the inspiration for sobriety. I went through similar instances and then the window of desperation opened. Just like you, I wanted it and could see my goals without alcohol. Also knew if I didn't quit I would never be able to compete work wise (or life wise lol) at my current level (similar to Rd2Q).

I don't have an answer for you, rather just want to offer solace. Personally, I think you can do it. I bet you can go 24 hours without alcohol. I bet you can come back here and say you did, then we can all talk about what happens next.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Bonnie - congrats on day 31, yes!

Rd2Q - glad to hear from you. Strong work, keep it up.

Dafunbra - dude, I need to work out. I am always hesitant. Very cool you're reaching some fitness goals. As the old guys always say, "gotta pat yourself on the back because no one else will".

Kaily - How's it going? Getting the walks in? Are you staying busy?

Kay - You good?

TheMechanic - Still busy and doing well?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Dee and Mechanic. I read your responses and received feedback from several people in another forum I utilize and now I realize how irrational I was being last night.

I will be sober for the next 24 hours (new Day 1) and let you know how I feel tomorrow morning and prepare for a sober weekend!

Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

TJ, if I can offer any advice based on my experience it is this- quit before it costs you more than you want to lose. And if you keep going, it will. It did me. For years I knew I had a problem but numbing was my familiar and time tested solution. I wanted to be what I knew the sober me could be, but didn't want to step out of that comfort zone and do the deal. A year ago I had everything I wanted in life. Today I'm sober, but I feel like I've lost everything else. Don't be me, TJ. Get a handle on it while you are still there to be saved.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

TJ, sorry to hear that you’re struggling. Just get through today. If you start to feel overly tempted, could you come here and post first?

Rd — I’m glad you’re enjoying your new job. I do understand that urge to reward oneself on a Friday after work. I guess it takes a while before our minds stop going there. Also, well done on the running! It’s such an efficient way to exercise.

Jimmy — is how are things going for you? You sound good and positive.

dafunbra — as always, you give good advice. I think you’ve learned a lot from your experiences, and I sure do appreciate you sharing here so that we can learn from them too.

As for me, I’m on Day 32 and feeling great.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Thanks all -

There is an emerging pattern for me over these last 10 months:

1. Do not drink for two weeks or more and I feel optimistic.
2. Do not drink the majority of the time but have that periodic weekend slip up and I feel hopeful.
3. Drink 10 or so days in a row and I feel defeated.

Thanks for all of your support and kind words!
Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah its important to realise that lack of motivation is in fact yet another manifestation of your addiction.

It wants you defeated docile and compliant.

D
Old 02-07-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post

Jimmy — is how are things going for you? You sound good and positive.
)
Thanks Bonnie, I feel positive when I stay connected. If I don't I start to wander. I hope you're resting and healing up!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Nice to hear so many of you so doing well.

Today is day 100!

Not been doing enough and feel unmotivated but at least I am not drinking. My moods are very up and down. No, actually down and then a bit more down - not actually getting any of the up bit.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Day 100 - I've never been sober this long, I guess since before I started really drinking.

Kaily - we share the day, strong work to you.