Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 5

Old 02-02-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Hope you have a pleasant day, Kaily.
Any signs of Spring coming there yet?
Thanks Caramel. No we have snow and ice, spring will be a few months away yet. Lovely when it does arrive.

Jimmy you talk a lot of sense. I know I don't really want to drink BUT I don't particularly like all this soberness either and I miss it. Restless irritable and discontented sums me up nicely. Now for the cure please?Guess I have a lot to work on.
Even if I won millions on the lottery tonight I wouldn't know what I wanted. I dare say the shock would trigger me to drink!

Thanks Bonnie, did a long walk and stayed vertical, bit dicey at times. Home now and only four and a half hours till bed. Going to have dinner, eat chocolate, read SR and watch tv.

Thanks all, was nice to come home to some encouraging messages. Hope your all ok.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Jimmy — my back is the same, but only three days until my surgery. I believe that the surgery will be a success (trying to stay positive!) and I’m looking forward to being done with it.

Kaily — glad you didn’t fall over during your walk! You must be looking forward to spring. I hope you enjoy a relaxing evening.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Got back to Chicago late last night and it is "only" 40 degrees which is 55 degrees warmer than it was here three days ago but 30 degrees colder than where I came from. (Car needed a jump start at the airport parking facility... surprise, surprise.)

Just trying to get everything cleaned up after being away for two weeks. Frankly, I am quite down in the dumps today. The trip further confirmed that I have to resolve the drinking issues before I make my next move to a Southern Climate and seeking a new job/career... the last few days were definitely less enjoyable because the drinking volume increased.

Granted, I also had to rest my legs and was working from the hotel room, but the same patterns emerge regardless of where I am... I start to become less productive, active, and appreciative. The anxiety and depression also sets in.

I'm blaming drinking on my current mood and NOT having to come home to the colder weather. I think that is painfully clear now. I have blamed so many of my problems on other things besides my drinking but I am now certain that the alcohol is about 90% to blame. If I was abstaining for any significant period of time, I know I wouldn't feel like this right now.

Sometime today... I need to regroup and recalibrate my goals and plans... again.

But I am not giving up...
Old 02-03-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, TJ?
Old 02-03-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kaily if you're not sure recovery is all its cracked up to be, you will be sure - today's not the best things are going to get

same goes for you TJ.

It must be disappointing to learn that a move to CA is not the drinking solution you hoped it would be but at least now you're that much closer to admitting that alcoholism is destructive, its impacting upon your life, and change is needed,

Now you have to decide what to do to make that change happen

D
Old 02-03-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I would consider it more of a "confirmation", Dee, not a "disappointment".

You and many others in this forum have warned me of this for a while. I ended up spending two weeks in Los Angeles (due to the extreme Midwest weather last week) and realized that my alcohol consumption during the last few days of the trip just sent me down the same path of isolation.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
How are you doing today, TJ?
Thanks for asking, Bonnie. I am doing better now. I just have been tearing up off and on today but feeling a lot better now than earlier in the day.

Recalibrating my goals now... as I mentioned earlier.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I’m glad you’re doing a little better. At least you know what has to change. I wish it could be easy, but I know you can do it.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I will try and look forward to things getting better and better.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Hello and happy Monday.

Bonnie I'm glad you're close to getting your back taken care of. And I agree, there is power in positive thinking.

TeeJay, it can be difficult to come to grips with where we are really at in our disease. I find myself isolating even while staying sober. Trying to figure out how to have more human contact than what I do, but circumstances make that difficult.

Kaily if I won a sum in the lottery I'd buy a house and a car, not necessarily in that order.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Well, this afternoon was ... long. Four hours down at the medical center doing my pre-operation check-up stuff, which means a LOT of time in waiting rooms. Then had to sit in rush hour traffic over an hour (ouch!) on my way home.

Arrived home very hungry, cranky, sore, and tired. The AV perked up a bit, in hopes that the old me would turn up and go for some wine.

But that’s not how I relax these days. Instead I grabbed a salad from the fridge and heated up a piece of chicken. Drank a bottle of Perrier, and now I’m out walking. Will take a warm shower in a little while, then Mr. Bonnie and I will watch an episode of “Bosch”.

Ive read various articles on how long it takes to form new habits, and I figure that as I continue on this path, it’s going to become easier. For me, as a former daily drinker, it’s the day to day stuff that gets me. So i don’t exactly have this sobriety thing perfected, but my new sober life is taking shape, and I like it. At least I don’t feel like I’m suffering because I can’t drink; I quite enjoy my little routines, boring though they might seem.

Anyway, back to my walk ... I’ll check in tomorrow, once I’m lucid. Hope you’re all doing well. ❤️
Old 02-04-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Bonnie - I will be praying that your back surgery goes well.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Administrator

All the best from me too Bonnie

D
Old 02-04-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Best of luck on your surgery, Bonnie... and good to hear that sobriety is starting to feel normal. Kaily... it sounds like you are also in the right mindset as well and on the downward path to permanent sobriety.

I woke up this morning very tired... my body is definitely still in the US West Coast Time Zone (2 hours behind the US Central Time Zone).

I went to work and received a lot of friendly greetings from coworkers who hadn't seen me in nearly three weeks... and had a productive meeting with my boss who talked about the status of my projects and what could be coming up. (This included the approval for the launch of our new company web site which I am excited about.) It was a busy day but that made the work day fly by.

I am watching "The Truth About Alcohol" on Netflix now and will continue to recalibrate my goals before bedtime.

I plan on trying out the exercise room at the new clubhouse at my apartment complex tomorrow.

I'm still a "work in progress" but looking forward to jumping back into a healthy, sober routine.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:16 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hope all goes well today Bonnie.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Bonnie I just want to wish all the best for your surgery, it's really not that bad, I remember that when I woke up from surgery I felt great immediately, the next day they let me up and I could walk around with no pain for the first time in years. It was the greatest relief I've ever felt and I'm eternally grateful to them. I'm sure they'll fix you up too! It's what they do!

Goodluck girl!
Old 02-05-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Bonnie - The same here. Take care of yourself.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Bonnie, best wishes for a speedy recovery and getting "back" on track! (Dad jokes, I know
Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Hey guys, surgery is done! Mechanic was right, it wasn’t so bad. I was reading the forums on my way to the hospital this morning and you guys really lifted my spirits! ❤️

Anyway, I hope you’re all doing well today. I’m going to keep this short due to post surgery brain fog.

P.S. Day 30. I’m no mathematician, but that’s a month!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Bonniefloyd - I am happy to hear your back surgery went ok. Great job on 30 days!