Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 5

Old 07-22-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

I've been quite busy lately and don't really think about drinking all that much over the past 2 weeks. Kind of nice. Hope all are well.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Good to hear you dont think about drinking much JimmyJ. My AV is very quite these days.

Now that I have passed the 9 month mark it is time I get serious about my overall health. I'm dumping the "I can eat/drink lots of sugar because I quit drinking" excuse. I'm no longer keeping and candy or soda in the house. It's not only more healthy for me but it's more healthy for the kids.

I have also been running 3 miles a day about three days a week. It has become easy and I know I can run farther. I signed up for 10k race which takes place the end of September. This should motivate me to push it a little more.

I'm not overweight by the height/weight chart but I have a thin build and a little bit of a gut. I think being 15 pounds lighter for my body type would be healthier and help me run easier.

I hope to hear from others in our small class.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you guys

D
Old 07-28-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Hello classmates,

Glad to hear you are doing well.

My AV is still pretty active but I am not acting on it. Coming up to 9 months now, long enough to grow a baby (not me). Eating far too much sugar which is a new problem. Comfort eating instead of comfort drinking.

So issues still need addressing but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Good luck giving up sugar and running Rd2. You will be super fit in no time.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Kaily,

I agree with you that sugar is much better than drinking. When I first quit drinking I had a consultation at an outpatient rehab. One of the many reasons I did not go was they focused on exercise and nutrition as part of the program. I already had a sweet tooth, for me tackling drinking was enough, exercise and nutrition could come later.

I would not go so far as saying I am giving up sugar. I am cutting it down. My focus is on candy, soda, and ice cream, which I consumed a lot. Not having it the house has really helped. I am eating a lot of fruit though but I think that should be ok. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

9 months, dang it feels good!
Old 07-31-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations JJimmylover

D
Old 08-08-2019, 12:26 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

I have once again been having cravings or maybe better described as temptations as the true all consuming compulsion to drink hasn't been there as such. Maybe a bit of melancholy ~ I don't really know. Still having to be very much on my guard. Living alone and being answerable to no one doesn't help. l could lock myself away with a bottle of vodka and no one would even know or care.

Rd2 how are you getting on with cutting down on sugar and the running? Hope all is going well.

Dafunbra I hope you are ok and that maybe one day you will check in again.

9 months and counting Jimmy
Old 08-08-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Kaily,

thank you for updating us. I hope your temptations go away soon. I am almost done reading the naked mind. It is an excellent book I highly recommend it.

I have a few updates to post as well.

the good news - I quit smoking cigarettes. 10 years ago to the day. I probably thought about smoking a total of 3 minutes last year.

I quit drinking 293 days ago. My AV has been very quite for over 3 months.

the bad news. I tore my Achilles tendon while running. I went to the podiatrist this morning. I'm in an air cast right now and will need an MRI. this is going to cost me a fortune because I have a high deductible healthcare plan. I also cant do any exercise at all for a while. The doctor said to move as little as possible until after the MRI.

while i am very upset at this news it in no way makes me want to drink. It does however make me want to eat a ton of junk food. I know that is counter productive but I'm so pissed I can't even walk the dog. I feel like if I'm just sitting around I mine as well be eating ice cream.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Rd2 - Sorry to hear man. Hang in there, a solid diet will speed recovery.

Kaily - Glad you posted. I don't think locking yourself away with a bottle of vodka is the way to go...you know this too. Plus, me and Rd2 would care
Old 08-10-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your injury Rd2. How frustrating for you. Hope it heals quickly.

Thanks Jimmy.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Yesterday had an all to familiar feeling crop up. I've been frustrated over a situation lately and yesterday it seemed to culminate into that "F it" mentality. Briefly had that old thought of, "screw it, you could grab a case of beer, you can always just start over". It was a fleeting thought, but was weird having it. Haven't had that thought in months. Sure I've briefly thought of alcohol, but not the "F it" mentality. I'm good now, but it was strange how the thought came up as if I haven't just been sober for 9 months. This thing has no regard I guess.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:39 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Administrator

Injury can get you down RD2. Hope you'll be back on your feet, as it were, soon

D
Old 08-13-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I have an MRI scheduled for Monday. I should have more info then.

Jimmy J - I am glad you did not drink. Think of how difficult it would be to start at day 1 again. I am so glad I have those first few month behind me and I never have to drink again.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

10 months today!
Old 08-19-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Hey Rd2 that is fantastic, well done you!

How is your injury? Healing I hope..
Old 08-19-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations rd2

D
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Kaily,

I had an MRI done yesterday. I won't know the results until my appointment on Thursday.

how are you doing? Are you getting used to living a sober life?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:57 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Good luck for Thursday!

I am getting there thanks. Slowly. Still struggling with sugar since quitting, in fact that is getting worse and very habitual. Just how drinking started. So for now I am aware and contemplating how to nip it in the bud. Tomorrow...
Old 08-21-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

congrats Rd2!!