Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 5

Old 01-23-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Kaily! It’s great to hear that your cravings are starting to weaken. It must be a reassuring feeling that things are getting better.

I’m on Day 16 and doing well. How is everyone else?
Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Our little class has become very quiet. I hope everyone is OK.

I have noticed that some days now I don't actually have many if any cravings. They are definitely subsiding although at times they do like to send out a reminder (like a final demand) and they hit me like a brick!

We have snow here in London, not much but some, very cold. Don't think you would be impressed Bonnie!

Be good to hear how everyone is.
Fortunately, I have been very busy lately. It's a good thing as it keeps my mind moving. I enjoy coming home exhausted and ready for rest. It's so different from where I was a few months ago, when I would be anxiously awaiting the time clock to rush out of whatever responsibilities I had to go drink my face off. It didn't matter what responsibilities I had the next day either, I would forfeit almost anything to be able to drink. Worst of it all, it came to the point where it controlled me and I HAD to.

Lately, I agree the cravings are way less. Some days I go without even thinking about drinking. Others, I may think about it often, but it doesn't consume me. Yet there are some triggers where I need to turn it around, or else I will fall down the hole of self hatred.

I finally can see what those with long term sobriety mean when they say it gets easier. Although for me it may only be a tad easier, I can now see some light ahead so that's good. I keep listening to podcasts and reading here. Keeps my mind right.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Guys!

Kaily, I'm so glad your cravings/urges are letting up! That is fantastic news! You are an inspiration :)

I've had more AF days than not, but am still struggling with my commitment which is why I have not been posting. I am on Day 3 today. I had 10 days before that. My biggest challenge continues to be our social life.

I'm so glad that so many of you are doing so well. It is an encouragement to visit and see you all thriving!

I hope you all have a great day :)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Kaily,

I am very happy to hear your cravings are decreasing. I think It gets easier for everyone just different time tables.

I have not had much to post since I returned from the wedding. I had my usual therapy appointment yesterday and did not have a lot to talk about.

I do want to say ever since I returned from my trip I have had a very positive outlook on life. I went through an extreamly triggering event over the course of 4 days and I was sober the whole time. If I can handle that I can handle anything. I know I will always need to be vigilant but my confidence is very high.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm glad so many of you are doing well. It's extremely busy at work and I feel I've been working non stop for the last two weeks. No time to even think about alcohol but it's been so long without that I have developed non drinking habits and thinking.

I was talking to a friend at work with an alcohol problem. She is very open about it surprisingly. I don't know if she is an alcoholic (I really hate that term) but she doesn't really want to drink anymore, drinks too much when she does drink, and has difficulty quitting long term. Anyway she told me she stopped drinking since the New Years and is feeling good so I'm happy for her. Work has been stressful for both of us but we agreed that drinking wouldn't make us feel better. We need all of the clarity and energy to tackle the additional workload.

BreakFree - I think for some people it just take a while to stop drinking for good and you will get to that point. That's what happened to me but alcohol has no appeal to me anymore. It's like I've heard some people say it's like getting out of a bad relationship. You have a connection to a person and you are dependent in many ways but you know you can't stay with them anymore because it's so bad and one day you wait up and realize that's it and leave. After a few weeks you realize leaving was the best thing that happened to you.

Bonniefloyd - I'm glad that they can do something for you back and it's outpatient. You are definitely right that without drinking you can handle anything.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sober since Nov 7 and would love to join this thread. I’ve mostly been posting in the newcomers forum listed above this one. Going to scroll thru here too and I’m sure I’ll find some inspiration.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome Serenity and well done on your sober time. Long may it continue.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome serenitynowplz

congrats to Kaily RD2 BF, JimmyJlover Bonniefloyd and everyone racking up another day sober !

D
Old 01-24-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh my, today is a 'brick' day. I think I spoke too soon. Cravings coming at me from all angles. I overdid the walking yesterday- three and a half hours, goodness knows how many ridiculously hilly miles it was. All in my pursuit of maintaining sobriety. Think I am overtired, I need to stay home and rest today BUT that is triggering me. Feel I need a drink to relax, my mind is in regression and thinking alcoholically.

I got home yesterday and watched the documentary 'Rain in my Heart' about alcoholism ( Highly recommend to anyone that hasn't seen it ).It was absolutely heartbreaking and harrowing, I can't stop thinking about it BUT I still want to drink.. ABSOLUTE MADNESS.

On a calmer, brief return to sanity note I did get some lovely pics in snowy forest yesterday!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Take gentle care, Kaily
Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get through the day Kaily - I know it

D
Old 01-24-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Some pics from yesterdays walk.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Old 01-24-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Old 01-24-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome serenity!

Kaily, I guess some days will be like that for a while — a few tough days sprinkled amid the better ones. I think over time you’ll have fewer and fewer tough days. You’ve got this! I started watching Rain in My Heart. Very interesting and sad. I’m not as far along in my drinking as they are, but definitely on that path.

Kay, it’s so cool that you have someone at work who is in the same boat! Maybe the two of you can become closer and give each other support.

Day 18. I think I’ve been miscounting because I wanted to say day 17, but whatevs. I’m starting to come out of the closet as sober to people around me. I hate making a big deal if things, do when I mention it, I do so in the most casual way possible. For example: “why yes, I’ve lost a little weight. I don’t drink anymore and I do tons of walking.” When they ask follow up questions (is this permanent or part of a diet) I don’t mind saying that I had to give up alcohol because I go overboard. Anyway, I’ve gotten nothing but support and positivity from people, even those who are dedicated drinkers.

Anyway, not much going on for me today, just going to the doctor for bloodwork and ekg, then my walk. Have a great day!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone

Day 4.

Kaily... I love your pictures! I will have to figure out how to share pics from our daily walk as well. That would be fun! I will also have to figure out how to get my phone not to die within minutes of the walk. We've had such cold weather here in NH, but as I say that, it's supposed to hit 60 degrees today because of rain. It was barely 5 degrees on Monday! They aren't kidding about weather in New England - don't blink!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Kaily - Wonderful pictures. I think it's normal that there will be hard days but you can get through it. You are so strong.

serenitynowplz - Welcome and congratulations.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Beautiful pictures, Kaily! I tried to share a photo but couldn’t figure it out. Is there a secret trick? How did you do it?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome serenity, we are happy to have you in the class. Great job on 2 and 1/2 months sober!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Beautiful pictures, Kaily! I tried to share a photo but couldn’t figure it out. Is there a secret trick? How did you do it?
It kept me busy this morning trying to figure it out, took my mind off drinking.
So eventually I went to my profile and made an album, added my pics there. Then I copied the URL went to post a message, clicked on the yellow insert image icon and paste in the box that comes up.

Look forward to seeing everyone's pictures.