Notices

Class of September 2018 Part 3

Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of September 2018 Part 3

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-two-21.html (Class of September 2018 Part Two)

D
Old 11-16-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Woohoo! Part 3!

Ben I was literally just thinking the same just minutes ago. In September, I didn't think I'd ever make it back to 30 days nevermind 50.

One thing that keeps me on my toes is the thought of relapse. Playing the tape thru. I cannot let my guard down. Constant vigilance is my new normal. I'm an alcoholic. I will live this way he rest of my life.

Always working at it. Always aware of the triggers. Always improving myself. Always strengthening my mindfulness. Always grateful. And most importantly, always humble.

I've had my final round.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Bumboid. Being sober around drunk people is so weird. I ate in Wetherspoons yesterday evening...I think I actually hate drunk people. Maybe because it reminds me what I was like for so long.

Rude, loud, red faced, stupid, needy!! I got pushed ahead of at bar by a middle aged drunk who was desperate for his fix. Learn, brain, learn!

Ive woke up at 5am, my body clock has been bought toward 2.5 hours in morning and 2 hours at night. It’s a little anti social but it’s working for me

Enjoy the date bumboid and let us know how it goes. In the words of cilla, I want to know whether I should buy a hat 😂😂😂😂😂
Old 11-17-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope everyone has a happy sober weekend....Best of luck on your date, Bumboid. I'm "spring" cleaning in November this weekend, which is common in Arizona as we can finally open windows and enjoy the cooler air. It feels so good to get rid of old stuff and start anew.

Today I am grateful for new friends. This past year I have made a few new sober friends and it's nice to experience a social life without booze!! I am learning a new way to live, as opposed to simply existing, and I believe this is the key to achieving long term sobriety (for me).

Be safe, be strong, be sober!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Found myself nodding "yes" to something in each of your posts. It's good to be able to express ourselves to others that completely understand.

Bumboid, I was also usually the drunkest person there and always the last to leave.

Ben, remember the drunk person you hate used to be us. I know I hated it when the newly sober drunk would lecture me about drinking. I think that is why I don't like to tell people how to be sober. I share my experience when asked or just offer encouragement.

I love anytime of year I can open the windows. It will be a while before then.
Are the summers too hot to do anything outside in Arizona?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Arizona summers are 110-118 degrees.

We stay inside, blast the air, and pray for November. But then, it's the best weather until the end of April. It's completely reversed from your seasons finalround, we love the winter!!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes final, as I said I think my irrational loathing is because it reminds me what I was like. It’s like being held a mirror and it’s not comfortable

Ive had terrible cravings all day. Very odd. I’ve used every tool in my box and I’m relaxed, confident and sober, but I’d love to know what triggers them (apart from the obvious addiction and habit). One day i have none; one day I have loads.

I was a bit wistful and even jealous seeing the wealth around me in London. That’s strange for me as I’m genuinely happy with my lot in life. I then started idealising drinking, knocked it on the head quickly as I realised it happening. But it kept coming back...I’ve had a conversation with myself and we’ve agreed drinking would be a very BAD idea, but it took me a while to convince myself. And of course alcohol was EVERYWHERE!!

Oh poor old me 😉 . I’m having a great day, just ate a Chinese buffet and going back to hotel for a rest (probably a sleep). Just felt like splurging the **** in my head , thanks for listening
Old 11-17-2018, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just felt like splurging the **** in my head , thanks for listening

Anytime Ben.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Morning all. Relaxed morning and breakfast then taking my son to Wembley to watch England v Croatia. Should be good. Then driving back home ready for work tomorrow

No chance of drinking today. Have you ever tried to buy alcohol at Wembley? 😂😂😂

I used to go watch a lot of football at home and abroad with England, I cringe to think about my behaviour. Done and gone, that’s all I can say

This morning I am grateful over all else for being sober
Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good work bumboid, that’s great to hear, it’s yet another reminder how much better it is for all of us to be sober.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning and happy sober Sunday!

Ok, I've been hitting the sweets hard this past month and I think it's time to ween off of the sugar. I'm eating it out of habit, not desire. I never had a sweet tooth while drinking, I'm sure the sugar in the wine took care of that for me.....

Off to the store for some healthy snacks!

Today I am grateful to have enough.

Around the holidays in the US we often have special food drives for those who can't afford a proper holiday meal. Meanwhile, most of us throw away enough food per year to feed the homeless population.

I am grateful that I have enough food to eat, and that I am able to help those who do not.

Have a peaceful Sunday!
Old 11-18-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice to hear you wildflower and bumboid being so positive.

Im tired and happy and sober.

Up early tomorrow to walk, run if my knees allow. Then work from home in the morning, I’ve got a meeting at 1.30 six miles away, I’m getting bumboid-inspired and I’m going to cycle there and back!

Then in for the evening. I love being in after four as I feel safe and don’t think about drinking. There is so much about sobriety I enjoy, I’ll be honest, I’m terrified of relapsing.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Morning all, have a great day
Old 11-19-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning.

I'm sober and grateful. Get together Saturday night with friends brought out the drinking questions. Funny, all were talking about how negatively alcohol affects there well being , mostly conversations about weight. We are all in our 40's and weight loss gets more difficult. All trying fad diets like cutting carbs, fasting etc. I'm the only one who has shown notable weight loss and slimming. I removed alcohol. Healthier choices were natural from there. Oh well.

On a sour note. My wife took this opportunity to have a glass of wine. Which quickly tuned into 3 very large pours. It was time for us to go@ 10 and my wife made a big deal to all that I said we had to go. She is not supposed to be drinking at all by doctors orders as results from last week.

We had a long discussion about it yesterday morning. She has shown lapses in memory lately too which could all be related to her elevated ammonia levels. I talked About thinking about long term plans. Then she met her sister (very heavy drinker) for lunch and ordered glass of wine. My son was with them because she cannot drive yet.

I'm very frustrated by all this. It's difficult to worry about ones health and well being when they won't.

My morning vent.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Finalround, does your wife's behavior sound familiar? When most of us were drinking, I'm sure it was against doctors orders, court orders, or our better judgment. Have you thought about going to meetings together, or some other type of support for you to quit together? Glad your staying strong, and patient. Your family needs a strong leader, and you are there.....give yourself a big hug

Today I am grateful for the ability to say "NO." I used to always say yes to people, yes I'll take that job, yes I'll help you move, yes I'll go against my better judgment to make you happy. I became a follower because of my drinking, always wanting to please someone else because my own self esteem had been taken away from this disease. Now I am able to make my needs a priority, and am learning that I deserve to take care of myself, first.

Have a beautiful day!!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Evening all. Final, I am at a loss what to say about the situation with your partner. I wish you both all the best

Wildflower, well done for saying NO. I think I am a people pleaser, I am getting better. But I still wilt a bit when I hear disapproval in other people's voices. Thats why I get a bit militant, even aggressive, its to hide that inner feeling. But I am getting better (or maybe just older with less energy, I simply can't give anymore to everyone who says they need it from me).

Bumboid let us know about date number two. Do you need to introduce her to us soon so we can check out whether her intentions towards you are honourable?

I am tired and good. Well fed! Tomorrow I'll go for my early morning walk run and then cycle to another meeting for 9.30 - then working til 4.30 - then football training and then out in the evening. All good things and quite a few I could not have done if I wasn't sober.

I am grateful for my kids. They both love me and are healthy. I dont deserve them and I intend on being the best sober dad I can from now on.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"Bumboid let us know about date number two. Do you need to introduce her to us soon so we can check out whether her intentions towards you are honourable?"

Made my day ben. Lmfao!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've learned to say no over the past few years. Especially to those that really don't deserve it.

My brother asked to borrow money for an "opportunity" he was looking to invest in. (Of course he's never paid anyone back). While asking and giving me his best guilt ridden sales pitch, he finished with, "you know, if you don't have the money, I understand".

Me: "if I DO have the money, will you still understand?" Click. Dial tone.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Morning all. 5.30 am and I’ve woken up naturally as I do every morning now , between 5.00 and 6.00. I go to bed and fall asleep about 10pm. I get a bit tired in the day but nothing major.

My old routine was to drag myself out of bed about 8, the last possible minute before taking kids to school or going to work. Stand in shower for 15 minutes trying to get the resolve to face the world. Drunk by four, smashed by eight, fitful sleep by 10.

I am so grateful to be sober this morning. So, so grateful words don’t do it justice
Old 11-20-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Ben, your description of the old morning routine made me cringe. Add to that the rotten dry taste in my mouth, ugh. Helped suppress my AV even that much further.

Technical question I'm sure wildflower can answer. How do I "quote" just a part of someone's post?