Administrator

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 6

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-20.html

D
Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 206,

Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting this past week...had internet problems and then leaky pipe problems from the place downstairs which left us without cold water for a couple days Basically, everything's breaking! LOL! Still very much here and sober I've been reading on my phone, I just hate typing on the darn thing. Clumsy hands.

Dee, enjoy your days away!! And as always, thank you for all that you do!!

DLB - Good for you on the gym front with a trainer!! Last time I had a one on one session with a trainer I couldn’t walk for two days…so I can sympathize with the pain. And about recipes - I'm always up for a swap!!

NACN – Hope the prep for the fall classes is going well Ahhh fall….my favourite season!! I know I shouldn’t rush through summer, but I really can’t wait!

Anyways, I’m back and will be checking in more frequently again

Hope you're all going great!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 204

Hey I'm with you on the working out thing DLB. I've been trying to get the wife and kids motivated for walks after we get off work. Usually everybody is not as energised as I am but we get it done. It seems like back in my drinking days( the hard liquor before kids then lots of beer after kids were born) i would always try and stay on top of it. Running and lifting weights but it was like I was never getting anywhere. I would go on spells where I would stay sober for a couple weeks to a month to try and test myself. I would workout like a maniac and drop 10 lbs or so and then it was like ok let's celebrate! Lol Now it feels weird cause there is no deadline. It's just living life and trying to stay healthy and fit. Anyway...good job! Stick with it
Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hooray for a new thread! Thank you so much Dee, and have some great days off!

Good to hear from you Ina! But I am sorry for all of the household woes you are having. Some prep for the fall classes is going better than others! I teach at two different colleges, and one I have complete control over my syllabus but the other dictates in detail what we need to cover on which day. You would think that would be easier, but it is still up to me HOW to present it to the students. I don't have the syllabus for that college as of yet, but we have a new textbook I am reading and trying to get used to. I do enjoy it though!

Good to hear from you too Irish! Working out is such an issue, isn't it? I used to run until very recently. I have started to not enjoy it as much as I used to, so I've been walking, doing the elliptical machine and weights. DLB, I think you have been doing the weight work too?

Since I stopped drinking, I have lost about 20 pounds, which is good for me because I'm not all that big. Not only from the drinking, for a while there I cut out wheat, dairy, sugar. I do try to stay on it most of the time. I just like feeling healthy! But I do like my snacks, sometimes a bit too much (as you all know from my candy/ice cream binging)!! Then I will hop back on it, and feel better again.

Whew sorry, I went on much too long there blah blah blah!! I am already in bed nice and early, want to try to get a good start to the day tomorrow.

Thinking about all of you!
NACN
Old 07-26-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 207.
Great to wake up to posts from you Irish, Ina and NACN. And a brand new thread. We are on our sixth, classmates !

I have an early start today so no gym or self-study/projects work. It is OK though as it is an unusual day,still work but totally out of my element, so excited also.

Have a healthy, sober and happy day, Page Six Januarians
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quick check in today! Hope your day at work went well DLB!

Nothing much to report today, just spending my days trying to organize files etc. and get ready for fall classes!!

Hope everyone is well!
NACN
Old 07-27-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 208.
Good morning NACN & classmates.
Just checking in before self-study and a run .. in the rain. Up way too early but, that is OK, the end of week is approaching.
Have a great, happy & sober day all.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 208,
Checking in wow these days are starting to add up for us all!!! So nice coming on and reading all of your posts each day Quiet day here. A small, but nice gesture happened today though. I was walking my dog and an older man tipped his hat to me and said good evening. Just a small tip of the hat, but it made me smile so much! haha Perhaps 'cause you rarely see it these days but it made me almost blush. lol....I almost wanted to curtsy but refrained. Among the other obvious benefits of sobriety, I find I'm so much more present and appreciative of smaller moments like that as well.
Anyways, just thought I'd share. Hope you're all having a lovely evening!
Old 07-28-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 209.
Hi Ina. That is nice.
I have noticed this with runners in the morning. On the route I run, there are other people and you begin to recognize each other. There is an expected "good morning" and nod when we pass each other. It is quite a funny custom but nice.
Again, none of this I would be able to experience while in my old life, so I appreciate it more. No one has curtsied yet, but I will keep you posted !

have a great, happy and healthy Friday !
Old 07-28-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

day 207

man..DLB your motivating me to get back to running. I haven't been out since we went on vacation. I feel like I'm gonna loose all that work I was putting into it. my knees were starting to bother me so I thought I'd lay off for a while, but that's turning into an excuse.
INA that's a nice little story. that's funny how a nice little gesture like that still works on the ladies. lol.
NACN..my wife is a registar for a high school here in town. she's always telling me these work stories about dealing with parents and kids and all this paperwork she's gotta do. that's on a small scale. I can't even imagine the responsabilities you have to take care of. good luck with that!
Tomorrow I think I'm going to a buddys house from work to watch those pay per view UFC fights.This normally wouldn't happen for me because A. I would want to be in the comfort of my own home when I drink myself into oblivion and pass out. usually I would spend$60 on those things and be passed out before the main event. B. I wouldn't want to go there and get trashed then have to drive home. I had 2 DUI's when I was younger and I'm lucky I didn't get nailed more than that. I think about all the times I was drinking and driving with people in the car... makes me sick knowing all it took was 1 time to ruin everything. I plan on going over there with some ice cold monsters so I can stay up past midnight. im getting old.
have a good sober and safe weekend everybody!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 210.
Hi Irish. Great hearing from you. It is great that your buddy supports your change in lifestyle.
I have just told people ( incorrectly) that I am taking a year off booze. I don't explain that I can never drink again as it will lead to tons of unwanted conversations or make them feel bad drinking in front of me. I will say, I have only had positive comments so far.
What have you told people ? I have a feeling there are benefits from full disclosure, if you have done that.

Either way, have a great time watching UFC. I totally get the passing out before the main event. That kind of sums up my life before this new routine !

Have an awesome, healthy and sober Saturday classmates.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

BBC Radio 4 - Love in Recovery - Downloads

So, this might be super nerdy, but I have been enjoying this podcast. It might not be everyones thing but I wanted to share with my fellow Januarian, just in case.
enjoy.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Januarians!

Ina, I love your story! It's the small kind gestures that can really get to you.
Irish, so good to hear from you! I teach at two different colleges, so luckily I have not had to deal with parents! There is a lot of paperwork, and just planning for the semester is time consuming.
DLB, thank you for sharing the podcast! I am definitely going to check it out, it looks really good!
Today was a pretty gray, chilly day (which if I'm honest, I kind of prefer!). I spent it emptying out all of my desk drawers, filing cabinets, and the top of the desk itself. I can't believe how much junk I've been keeping that is YEARS old! I purged a lot, which feels good, although my house looks like it exploded right now. I have some more organizing to do tomorrow then things can be put back in a more thoughtful manner.
These are chores which I would never have gotten done before I stopped drinking. The house is in better shape than it is ever been.
DLB, I usually tell people the whole deal of what is going on and why I am not drinking. I have found that to the person everyone is kind, positive, and super supportive. I even have one friend who I think I may have helped make the leap himself, just by telling him my story. He has been sober for four months now.
I think whatever works best for you socially is the way to go. Saying you are taking the year off makes total sense, and by the end of the year, everyone may be so used to you not drinking that they won't even notice!
I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!
NACN
Old 07-29-2017, 10:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

208 days, new to SR

Just found this site and these forums and it comes along at a good time. Trying to enjoy my sobriety, being sure to remain mindful of the little things that happen each day that remind me of how far I've come, but also very well aware of how far I still have to go to develop something resembling normalcy in my life - social anxiety, bouts with depression, (both of which I suffered before and throughout my active addiction, albeit numbed considerably by substances) and general loneliness have been tough of late.i know I'm missing out on events I would enjoy sober and it's tough to not have begun reintegrating into society outside of recovery rooms. Still, grateful for this much time, and looking forward to continuing to add to it. Also really happy to have found this, and for your day-to-day experiences especially from the same class as me!
Old 07-30-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey, everyone!

DLB - Your comment suddenly made me think of women running down the street in old Victorian-style ball gowns curtsying Lol. Jane Austen on a jog.

As far as telling people, I’m in the same boat as you. I mostly tell people I’m just giving booze a break. That I started with a cleanse in January and it felt so good that I kept going with it and am trying to make it a year now. I have a few close friends that really know my intentions, one who’s been sober for a decade now and another who is also trying to commit to a sober lifestyle. I’m grateful for both of these friends as they understand when I text them to say I'm struggling and offer support. As for my drinking friends, I also don’t want them to feel bad drinking in front of me, and honestly, sometimes I think my not drinking makes them feel guilty about their own habits, and it’s perhaps selfish, but I don’t want to push them away. Also, thanks for the podcast share…gonna have a listen tomorrow!

Irish - I hope the UFC game was a blast! I know what you mean - when drinking, I’d often not commit to events because I'd rather be home drinking alone and passing out. Now sober, I definitely do not go out as much as I did, but I'm 100% more social, present and fun when I do.

NACN - I LOVE grey, chilly days!! Hence my affinity for Fall! Long pants, chunky sweaters and such! Glad to hear you had a good purge of old stuff….that’s a great feeling! I need to slowly start doing the same. When drinking, on more than one occasion, I’d get the idea to start organizing and then wake up the next morning with stuff ALL OVER THE HOUSE!! Lol. Drawers empty, books all over the floor. I guess I had good intentions….but now I may actually be able to follow through with them.

Sounder1822 - Welcome to SR!!!! So glad to have you here! This class has been monumental in helping me stay sober. I can relate to the loneliness. I’ve gradually been getting more social, but I find I have to pick these occasions rather carefully. Another reality for me is that the phone doesn’t ring as much anymore. As I mentioned above, I think sometimes my not drinking makes others feel guilty about theirs, and so I’m noticing that the texts and invites are less and less. To be honest, I probably wouldn’t go to these events, but it still makes me sad and it would be nice to be invited and included, but I have to remind myself that my sobriety is so much more important! And it’s not really about me.
Again, so glad to have you join us - I look forward to getting to know you

Well, I’m going back to bed. I got up for a glass of water and suddenly ended up writing a novel! haha

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 211.
First of all, welcome Sounder ! Irish is also a new Januarian. It is great to have you both in the class.

I couldn't add anything to what Ina already has said about this SR forum but it has been life changing for me also. For keeping my routine going and learning that I am not alone in this journey.

Depression was interconnected with my drinking also. Surprisingly, finding myself with all this new sober time to reflect actually made my depression worsen. By exercising more and working on some self-study projects, learning new things, seems to help my self esteem . I have a very long way to go but my depression issues are way better now.

Being able to read others journeys and express my own here on SR, each day, has been the key.

Well, I am going to 100% copy NACN and clear out a closet. I have clothes I haven't worn for 10 years, some of which can be donated and some just thrown away. Let the purging begin !

Have a healthy, happy and sober Sunday classmates.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sounder

hope everyone is well

D
Old 07-31-2017, 02:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 212.
Good morning classmates. A super busy day so just a quick checkin as I run out of the door. Going for it this week.
I hope everyone has a great, sober and happy week
Old 07-31-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 212,
Just a quick check in for me as well.
Hope you're all having a great day!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to both of you

D