Notices

One Year & Over Part 66

Old 02-01-2019, 10:15 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Do your best

You will love Frank castles introduction via daredevil season 3 you can check the episodes where they start introducing him I liked that he calls daredevil red and not daredevil
Old 02-01-2019, 11:11 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Another cold one here 0C but going to get warmer to a whopping 4 C. (Not cold by some places, but cold enough!)

Have a good weekend my friends. We’re going out for lunch later before visiting hubbys parents.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:19 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

We have -1.1C.

Mags enjoy your lunch and visit.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

We survived the dreaded polar vortex. The temp is 20F here now and only going higher the next few days. Of course, this leads to OTHER problems, such as potential flooding, burst pipes, etc. Like Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always somethin'".

Headed to the card show later this morning. Haven't seen some of the guys in awhile, so it should be fun.

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 02-02-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wolf,
I wasn't following DD but will have to check it out. I caught the crossover characters but don't realize they were Frank and Punisher's origin. Thanks!

FBL,
How'd the card show go?

Mags,
We were in the mid 60s. I hand washed my car yesterday in a T-Shirt! Today I was out shopping and local folks were in coats and boots in 68° pleasant weather.

Andy, you are more normal than here. I read today that one town that had minus -50 will be +45 tomorrow or the next which is an unheard of 95° jump, some kind of record.

I'm ready to fly Tuesday, and find our final home.

TTYL
Old 02-02-2019, 10:48 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
instant

Just popping in as one of (the now) very infrequent posters.

Still sober- don't recall how I found time to drink

it's in the 40+Celsius down here

It's great to see this site still going strong- A credit to everyone

Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs,

A cold sunny Sunday morning here, -4C outside, but a nice 20C inside. Thank goodness for central heating, I remember ice on the insides of my bedroom window when I was a young girl! You certainly didn’t hang about getting dress in the mornings for school!

Have a good day my friends.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:30 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I remember dragging my clothes into the bed and dressing under the blankets Mags!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Magsie

^^toots, you cracked me up at that! Wish I’d thought of it too!^^
Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

When my Mum was a youngster she used to take a brick, that had been in range oven all evening and then wrapped in a piece of blanket, to bed. That house was single brick walls and single glazing. Brrrrr

Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:32 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

and here- back to 100F days, one of the longest in state history without rain
Old 02-03-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Had an eventful day yesterday.

Was at the office early in the morning and all was quiet. Left to go to the card show at 8:30 AM. Picked up a bunch of nice cards and had a nice time visiting with my fellow collectors. Went to grab some lunch as was going to go straight home to sort my cards. However, something told me that I should go back to the office and do my janitor duties instead. I got to the office around 1pm and heard water running on the ground floor where all of our inventory is stored in boxes. I thought, "that's odd, there's no sink or anything in that room." So, I ran upstairs and grabbed my keys for that area and much to my shock, water was literally pouring down from the ceiling! Luckily, I knew where the shut off valve is for the building and I quickly got the water shut off. After some investigation, I found that a water pipe had burst on the unoccupied second floor of the building and there was at least an inch of standing water, which was leaking down to the first floor. So, I called the regular maintenance man and we spent the next few hours cleaning up what we could. Some of our inventory is ruined, but it would have been A LOT worse had I not come back when I did. I can just imagine the damage that another several hours would've caused as I probably wouldn't have checked until this morning and nobody else would've even been in the building until Monday morning!

So, how was YOUR Saturday?!?
Old 02-03-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

FBL, OMG! So lucky you went back.

Hi Instant.

Good luck house hunting, Itchy :-)

Mags and Toots, I remember icy mornings - not because of house construction but because my father set the house thermostat at 63 F during the day and 55 F at night. I still keep my thermostat lower than everyone else I know of: 68 F.

Have a good one, Overs!
Old 02-03-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That was so fortunate that you had a gut feeling to go back to the office FBL.

Safe flight and happy house hunting Itchy!

Have a good day all!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Wow FBL....good instincts and maybe a bit of help from the universe.
Glad you didn't lose too much.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one FBL, on going back to the office. It’s good to follow our gut instincts!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks guys, I'll be watching the game at 5 PM my time, I'lll be rooting for the Patriots.

Instant!
Good to see you are still hanging in there too. Like in the military when one of us retires or goes back to see a facility we had built or designed, it is still there only the faces have changed. There we had basic training and tech school churning out replacements because not everyone stayed on for a career. Unfortunately there are replacements for alcoholics being produced worldwide too. About the same small percentage of us go for a career of sobriety. Like the military the career folks are responsible for support and ongoing training for the NFGs. Kind of like here in the newcomers pages. Like in the military recruiters are needed to convince folks to give them a try, you guys that are out there staying sober are recruiters for sobriety when someone needing a change asks or crosses your path. I did the "You might be an alcoholic" post here in 2012: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post3226921 (What Made Me Diiferent)
There are so many ways to get and stay sober, and only one way to stay a drunk. We all know the self pity party justified with a million excuses is the only way we fail. Only the folks who forget that "Alcohol provides us an avenue to run away from all of our problems . . . except the results of using alcohol. <sigh>" Only those relapse
It's nice when an old friend in recovery like you comes back to say you are living life sober.

Memories . . . I remember meeting Dee for the first time too: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2735953

FBL,
It fortuitous you have a "Spidey" sense! I'll bet the "boss" is very glad you do. I hope someone turned on the heat in the vacant place for the rest of winter. Good catch!

It's going to be 70°F (21C) here 60°F (15.5C) in Colorado Springs today. Here it is 75% humidity, 24% there. The humidity here is what makes the heat and the cold miserable.

Mags and Toots,
The mental image of you two as young ladies doing all that to avoid freezing outright had me grinning.

Andy,
That sounds like the way to get warm without central heat.

PJ,
You guys are experiencing what is predicted for here, but with this awful humidity, in a few years from global warming. I am trying to beat the rush moving up north now. Alaska is great too but too many earthquakes with too little sun in winter. Where do Aussies move for cooler weather?

Sassy, Thanks. My Significant Harassment tries to pull supposed "energy saving" stunts on me like your dad did. I just tell her she can move out to the RV and turn the heat off in winter and the A/C in summer. I worked hard all my life and can afford comfort in my old age. She wears a T shirt and a heavy sweatshirt in a house with 6" framing, super insulation and dual pane windows. Then says it's too warm? I am not bundling up in my own house!

Star,
Thanks! You stay warm up there in Penn's Woods!

Super Bowl kickoff at 5 Central time! Go Patriots!!!!
Old 02-03-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Very quick pop in - all good with me. Passed 6 yrs sobriety last week and was glad to see my friend who went back out, came back in at the next meeting - so, a very short relapse that I hope doesn't lead to more.... my other friend gave her first share today, after 6 months sobriety. It was good to hear - much of which I had some part of (we have been friends outside of AA for many years), but it was good to hear things from her perspective. She unexpectedly thanked me openly for keeping in touch with her whilst she was on her journey to find sobriety, which was touching.

Last week at work was very busy and quite long (in terms of man-hours), so just popping off to bed to grab some zzz's before starting it all again in the morning

Very grateful for sobriety, friends, work, a flushing toilet (loooonnnggg and not very interesting story there, lol!), no frost forecast, and many, many more things!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Itch - the destination for cooler weather is Tasmania- BUT at present they have a huge number of wildfires- some catastrophic and predicted to burn for weeks. The smoke has been seen in New Zealand, so not escaping the global bit. I have thought of moving there sometimes, but my little city is quite good enough for me, despite the heat. Too much out f the way to become really huge, able to travel to most places in relative safety, born and bred.