Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 9

Old 03-13-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matrac View Post
Big day for my mom.....she signed a lease on her apartment! She moves in on the 23rd! I am buying her a couch and bed this weekend.....its the last of what she will need.....you should see all the stuff in my garage!

I have learned a lot about myself and her during this time. I have put a lot of things to rest and yet I am a little sad that things couldn’t have been warmer.....well, it is what it is and I know that I did my best, held my tongue most of the time, and persevered .

Most importantly I am still sober. It’ll be 8 months on the day she moves!
Matrac, a big congrats for getting through this sober and with holding your tongue. Not easy at all I would think. I spend tons of time with my Dad and he is a good guy and we have a good relationship but I still can struggle with him sometimes.

Barb, how are you feeling coming off of the meds? I hope it hasn't been too bad.

I spent a chunk of time this afternoon shoveling more of the roof. The exercise in the out of doors perked me up. My left knee and lower back don't care for this exercise much but it does do good things for my mood.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Katy, I read about a very small study that showed turmeric was as effective as prozac in treating depression. It is believed that depression may be caused by inflammation in the brain. Similar to dementia. Which would be why an anti-inflammatory like turmeric would show some promise as treatment.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbs View Post
Katy, I read about a very small study that showed turmeric was as effective as prozac in treating depression. It is believed that depression may be caused by inflammation in the brain. Similar to dementia. Which would be why an anti-inflammatory like turmeric would show some promise as treatment.
That's interesting Barbs. I might give it a try too . . . .off to look for the study.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:49 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Barbs thats's so interesting! I'm obsessed with natural herbal remedies. I'm definitely giving turmeric a try, as I said it was for my pancreas and liver really but if it may help with my brain / mood too then even better. Hope you have a lovely day Barbs, hope it wasn't nosy of me asking what you use it for!

Bekind, So pleased your moods lifted! I'm so up and down when I stop so I understand how those low moods feel and sometimes they're so hard to shrug off, sounds like you did a good job and picked yourself back up

Well it's 9:40am here, the weathers doing all kinds, one minute sunshine, the next rain, then heavy hail stone showers... Got up at 7:30am which is quite late for me, had a shower and walked with my dog for half hour or so then had a coffee and breakfast with my bf. He seems so down, he is struggling so much to find a job. He said it's making him feel depressed, he said as the man he should be working and feels so bad he can't get work. I can't understand it, he's been for so many jobs, even had work trials, but everyone has turned him down. I moved him into my place and he feels bad as he can't pay his way but I'm ok with it as I know he is doing his best, it will be such a huge relief when he gets work though, this has been going on since last December! I keep wondering if he acts different in interviews or something, I can't work it out, he has a lot of tattoos but surely in this day and age that shouldn't matter! ... who knows... I just know life will be a lot smoother and happier when he finally gets work. He's at an interview this morning for work labouring for a construction firm, cross your fingers for us please!

I'm just going to head over to a card shop and get my Aunties Birthday card to post off then back home to work. I have my AA meeting tonight, aaarrrgghhhh I so do not want to go. I am going but I am dreading it so so much.

Right now I feel so clear headed, I have energy and clarity, I wish I could bottle this mood and drink it when I hit a low ebb!!!! I always seem to be like the when I first stop then I crash, I'm staying positive but I am ready this time, if the real low mood comes and it's lasting I'll be getting a tincture of the st johns wort from my local herbalist, works a treat. At the moment I just take a soluble Vitamin B complex and C, my Skullcap tincture for the nervous system and an L theanine amino acid which helps keep the brain focused and energised.

Hope you all have a lovely Day / Night.

Much love to you all.

Back soon xxxxxxxxx
Old 03-14-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember & keep in mind we're not meant to give medical advice or recommendations for others here guys.

Personal experience (shared responsibly of course) is fine

Tumerics one of those things that can interact with other meds or certain medical conditions.

Complementary and Alternative Medicine - Penn State Hershey Medical Center - Possible Interactions with: Turmeric - Penn State Hershey Medical Center

If it was me, I'd have to consult my doctor first or at least do my due dilligence.

D
Old 03-14-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee,
I agree it's best to check everything out, good to share our own experiences of different things too
Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder Dee. I wasn't intending to give any medical advise. Just mentioning what I have been doing and it is under my doctors supervision.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:37 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries Barb

D
Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

1 hour countdown until my AA meeting. I'm definitely going but cannot stress enough how anxious I am. This town is so small and it's a large ish group in there. I just feel so exposed. Really nervous.
I shall report back later how I went on.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Courage to you Katy. You are stronger than you think.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hope it goes well Katy. Let us know. I think when it gets tough like this is when it counts . . . .okay . . . . .maybe that is poppycock. I'm not sure.

More roof shoveling for me today . . . I can only go an hour or so and then I'm exhausted. It leaves me a bit nauseated so at least I don't want to drink. Also it is a lovely satisfying feeling to shove great chunks of hardened snow off the edge and listen to them crash below . . . .Aww . . . .the simple pleasures of life.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Thanks for wishing me well and I am so pleased I went!!!!
Almost feel stupid for being so nervous. I still do think "what can this do for me" and "how does this even work for people" I was very honest and explained this, I told them I still don't fully understand HOW it works but I can sure see it DOES work so I'm willing to give it a proper go. So each Thursday evening I shall be there.
It was quite a small group this time and I got two numbers off really nice ladies there who said call anytime day and night and they're going to keep in touch with me, everyone was very nice and welcoming. A couple of men that shared talked of the same fears, anxiety, mental health issues when withdrawing, it was exactly the same as what I go through, it really resonated with me and these two guys both have over 20 years sober now! and swear it's down to AA. I'm keeping an open mind but I am definitely giving it a try, some people do as many meetings as they can and go to several a week but that's just not me, for now I'll do this one every Thurs and also my friend is taking me to one on Sat evening so 1-2 each week, I want AA to just be a part of my healing, not all of it. Meditation and yoga are going to be a big part for me too. I can book my yoga on Monday, can't wait, then it starts 16th April.

Hope you're all doing ok today / tonight

Bekind, you always paint such a lovely image with your posts, always makes me smile

Well it is now 10:12pm, I've just made a herbal tea, a night time relaxing blend and I'll head to bed with my book.

Night class.

Much Love as always xxxxxxxx
Old 03-14-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad to read you post Katy

D
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Heya Katy! Nice work! I agree with Dee. Sounds like you have a good plan going. It inspires me to look at some of the lazier parts of my days and fill in the blanks with some good self-care and care for others. You keep rockin the good stuff girl and keep us posted on how you are feeling.

Y'all dodged a bullet when I posted but lost a long post about how I did too much too soon today and had my back screaming at me all afternoon. Oh well...I know now that I have to take things just a bit slower for a while.

I did discover the most refreshing, yummy drink I'd never heard of on an outing today though. You may have already heard of it. It's called a London Fog. I had it over ice. It's a creamy blend of milk (nut milk, cowmilk, whatever you like) infused with lavendar and Earl Gray tea with liquid stevia and a dash of vanilla extract poured over ice. When I got home I googled it and found I could buy a concentrate version at the Target near my house. I got it and love it. I'm usually a coffee lady, but I think I'll be a tea lady for a while and see how it suits me. I love it when you all share the non-alcoholic concoctions you like. Anyone who feels like posting a recipe for a good one I or others of us may not have tried you'd cheer up a cranky, grumbly back pain suffering curmudgeon this week. Haha. Hope you all are rolling with the highs and lows in your current situations.

Hugs and love!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:11 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aliceiw View Post
It inspires me to look at some of the lazier parts of my days and fill in the blanks with some good self-care and care for others.
Alice from what you have said, you have tons of time like me. It is wonderful in many ways but having to motivate myself all the time gets exhausting. Hmmm . . . . as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I could make more plan for the future i.e. fill in more time with planned events. This could help by cutting down on my free time.

I will be looking for a London Fog soon. Sounds great.

Katy, I just checked in to see how the meeting went. Your description was uplifting. I hope it continues to go well. It also sounds like a good group.

Alrighty then, me and my swollen shoveling knee are turning in for the night.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Hi Bee -- Well, to me it seems like you're quite busy -- doing things for others especially. You seem to be a true giver with a very generous spirit. I admire that a lot. I fear I win the award for being the slug in our group. I need to get out and do some things for others. I think volunteering somewhere would be a very good bet for me. I'm not much of a joiner. This came up in my meeting with my career coach. She suggested I join some groups for professionals. To be honest, the thought of that makes me cringe. I used to belong to a rotary club, but really all I could think of while listening to all the business people talk about, well, business and achievements, etc. was Emily Dickinson's poem, "I'm Nobody."

"I'm nobody.
Who are you?
Are you nobody too?
Then there's a pair of us.
Don't tell! They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody,
How public --like a frog
To tell your name the livelong June
To an admiring bog.

It's snarky and unkind, but sitting in those business luncheon meetings listening to so many (mostly men, many of them rather portly...not kidding) croaking on and on about their many accomplishments, I felt myself to be smack dab in the middle of a boggy pool of puffed up bullfrogs. (Or perhaps Ayers' garden pool, although I didn't know about that and her froggy friends back then.)

I do think I'll check with the officers of my Harley club and see if I can get involved with helping with some of their community fundraising. They're a great group of souls. Many of them are non-drinkers too, so that's a plus.

Anyway...sorry to be so darn boorish tonight. It's all about me, eh? I should be asleep because it's late here. I'm waiting for my back to get the message, so I thought I'd check in and see if anyone else had checked in.

It's just turned Friday here. Have a happy one y'all.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

we continue here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-10-a.html (Class of August 2018 Part 10)

D