Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 9

Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Barbs and Matrac-You were right. Went to the doc as soon as a fever started to set in. Kidney, urinary type infection.
Well, nice to know it is something fixable Bob. Anyhow I hope it is. Let us know. No wonder you were being knocked on your butt.

I haven't even made my doc appointment yet. It is just a check in to get my meds renewed so not that big of a deal. I might put it off as hospice called today and it looks like the angels are coming for my mom.

We spent some time with her this afternoon just pouring affection and love on her the best we could. It is hard to know what she is aware of. My sisters who live out of town will be coming in the next few days.

Hmm . . . I think I will send a note to my doc now before I forget. I have run out of meds before which is not good.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Get well soon, bobdrop
Old 01-18-2019, 08:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon Bob

D
Old 01-18-2019, 09:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Saturday morning

((Bekind)) – you seem so calm about the angels coming for your mom. That is so good. Watching her decline has been hard enough and I suppose you feel she deserves to be free now.My thoughts are with you and your family. Lovely to read how you all went to offer her love and support – she is fortunate to have such a loving, caring family , and I’m sure she knows how much you all love her.

Bonnie – stay strong with your Mom’s extended visit. That is how you should see it – an extended visit. It is not permanent. I hold thumbs that she gets placed soon. It must be really difficult for you.

Bob, hope you feel better soon. Did they give you anti-biotics? Kidney and urinary infection can make you feel horribly ill. Speedy recovery (())

Katy, well done on 8 weeks – 2 whole months – 60 days !!! Wow, you are doing so, so well. The part time office job might just be the ticket to get you to slowly get used to being around people you don’t know. A few posts back you mentioned how tired you are and not getting anything done… I just wanted to reassure you that I experienced the same. Even at 3 and 4 months I had days that I felt too tired to lift my arms. Now, too, I have such days. I did find that going to the gym helped , though. That was very difficult to do, being so tired, but I stuck it out and it helped. So, exercise seems to always help – whatever form it takes – gym, walking, gardening 😊 (Gardening helps for everything !!!)

Barbs , so good to hear you are doing so well and feeling like your old self. Holding thumbs for your weaning off the anti – anxiety meds . Look after yourself.
I have been doing fine, thanks Barbs . Chugging along. No fireworks. Feeling glum and “so what”, but I am not going to dwell on it and give it more attention than it deserves. This too shall pass.
Sad story about the young girl in the nail salon. Always wonder what someone like her story is? So many people out there are hurting on the inside , aren’t they.

Hi Alice, Dee, DD,Darkling, Zoey ….

Have a good weekend .
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone,

7:25am here, morning coffee and SR

Bonnie - Thinking of you struggling with your Mum there, as Ayers said, keep reminding yourself this is an extended visit and will pass, until then just stay close and keep sharing how you're feeling. You're doing great! Interesting reading about the girl having the panic attack, just shows how many of us suffer in the same way.

Bob - Glad you went to the Doctors, wishing you a speedy recovery!

BeKind - Love, Hugs and Prayers over to you and your family. Such a sad time but I can sense the love and unity in your family through your posts. Thinking of you. Hoping you get your own meds sorted asap too.

Morning Ayers - Thanks for the reassurance about the tiredness, never known tiredness like it, less pressure on me now being the weekend so I can feel less stressed and try and walk and exercise as much as I can. Glad you're doing ok! Was worried when you sounded down but I guess it's normal and we're all very up and down, it's as you say, constantly holding on to the fact these waves do pass and to try and let them wash over us. Hope you have a lovely weekend

Wishing you all a lovely weekend. Good or bad times, please keep posting and sharing

Katy xxx
Old 01-19-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think a sober Saturday morning is my favorite time of the week. When I slip, it's almost always because I'm extremely tired. And that is often on Friday nights after a tough work week. That means Saturday mornings tend to be hangover times. Sooooo, yay to another sober Saturday. It signals that I've found a way to deal with or distract from the exhaustion, and starting the day feeling sharper and happier. I'm still on high alert for a slip, but feeling pretty solid at the moment! And the sober days are adding up …

Bob, I hope you feel better!
BeKind, good luck with your mother. She's very lucky to have you at her side.
Ayers, you and I have the same approach to blah times … "this too shall pass." But I am thinking of you and hoping today is the day it passes!
Katy, your last post sounded just a little happier. I'm hoping you are starting a better day. Hang in there … we're here for you!

Happy Saturday, Augustonians!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well done Zoey. It is truly a gift to free of hangovers. My hangovers have steadily become something like near death experiences. I don't ever want to feel that way again.

Bob, hope you recover quickly. Lots of fluids and rest!

Matrac, I really hope your mum gets sorted out soon with a new home. I love my mum but we wouldn't last under the same roof for long! We irritate each other in equal measure despite having an incredibly strong bond. Do everything you can to look after yourself......nothing is more demoralising and pointless than a relapse. And I am an expert on that.

Be Kind thinking especially of you this evening. I am sending prayers to you and your mum. I pray she will feel all your love and be comfortable and peaceful in the days ahead. I have to say, your posts embody such sensitivity and gentleness and wisdom.

Love to all the Augustonians.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hello August friends. Thought I would finally check back in.

I am three weeks sober today.

I apologize for just dropping off the radar again. I just felt so conflicted about drinking. I would say I wanted to stop but at the end of the day I actually wanted to drink. If I was going to stop, it had to be on my own terms, because I truly wanted to more than I wanted to continue drinking. Not because of accountability to others or for fear of disappointing anyone. It had to be my decision, for me. Period.

I am happy to say I finally made that decision over the holidays and have not had a drop of alcohol in 2019. And I have no intentions of looking back.

I don’t plan on posting on here constantly either. I feel much more secure in sobriety if I am not constantly reminded of alcohol. And for me personally, checking in on here all day every day does exactly that. Not speaking negatively of SR in any way. I love this website. I’m just learning from my own personal experience. I find it more effective for my own recovery to just focus on improving on the positive instead of constantly being reminded of the negative I am trying to avoid.

And it’s working for me. I rarely think of alcohol at this point. Urges will spring up here and there. But I’ve come to associate them with a dread of what used to be. By the time I stopped I was just tired. No better word I can think of to describe it. I was just tired. The thought of ever feeling tired in that way again is more than enough for me to just let urges fade as quickly as they arise. And they become more and more rare as time goes by.

I’ll definitely check back in over the next couple days as I look forward to all of your wonderful responses. But after that I think it will just be for milestones.

Hope all are well.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time mns - remember we're here if you need us

D
Old 01-19-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have thought about you Mike and I am very happy to know that you are sober and strong in your resolve. I wish you all the best and will look forward to more progress reports from you.
Bonnie
Old 01-19-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Oh oh Mike. So very good to hear from you and so good to hear you have put some sober time together. i think we can all attest to witnessing that it wasn't working for you before. Whatever you are doing now, keep doing it.

Come back whenever you want and and please accept my heartfelt congratulations.

Thanks Darkling for the prayers. It was a good day but hard of course. Lots of family here and we laughed and cried and spent time with Mom. She can't talk but we are all wondering if she is seeing angels as she so so has one foot in the next world.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sunday morning

Hey all you Augustonians, super special lovely people!

I was over the moon to read your post , Mike ! So,so pleased for you, that you are getting well. Congrats on three weeks . No worries about how often you post – it is just wonderful to know you are well and doing so great. You know you are loved here and welcome anytime. Xxx

Bekind, more hugs and love to you and your family. You really are handling this extremely well.

Katy, glad to hear you are handling the tiredness – we just have to take it in our stride. Make the most of it and sleep when you can over the weekends – it is obviously what your body needs right now.

Zoey – you are staying so strong. Well done. I agree with you … loving Sober Saturdays. Sober Sundays are even better for me. As are Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays …. 😊 You get my drift.
Guess we are doing this, aren’t we. One day, becoming two, becoming a week, a month and before we know it, a year. Fantastic.

Bob, I hope you are feeling much better after getting the right medical attention.

Been a super slow weekend so far, and nothing exciting planned for today either. A friend popped in yesterday – helping her with her table decorations for her and her husbands 60’th birthday party (they have their b’days one day apart ! 30 and 31 Jan – how nice is that?)
She is on a dry January – after the holiday season – and was so nice just chatting and having lemon sodawater and tonic.

I have been going through my immense stash of flavoured teas at a speed . My newest is just popping a bag into a glass of soda water and leaving it for a couple of minutes. Orange/mandarin works well. Lovely. And I found some real, real ginger tea at the health shop – with nothing added to it. Finally I have ginger tea that actually tastes like ginger. And no grating and sweating needed.

Looking forward to a nice vegetarian curry for lunch –( haha , it’s only 8:22 now ! and thinking off lunch already)

Stay strong and carry on . Have a lovely Sunday, my friends.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 01-20-2019, 02:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just wanted to say Thank You for all the kind comments and let you that after a couple of days of AntiBiotics, I'm doing much better and now looking forward to the Saints winning today

Good for you Mike!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday Everyone

Late check in for me, 11:15am now.

Feeling a bit brighter today, I slept on and off all day yesterday. Must of needed it and it's definitely helped. I've been out this morn briefly to the shops and got some bits for a cooked breakfast we've just had.
I read a lot more of my book too, around 20 pages left for this afternoon then I need a new read. If any of you have any recommendations then please share???? I want something very inspiring, possibly quite spiritual... I have a book here by Eckhart Tolle, "The Power of Now' which is a possibility.
Please do share any good reads???

I'm now about to try and dig out invoices for my tax return for 2017-18. Everything is in a mess with all the chaotic drinking, laptops broke, files not backed up, all very unorganised but on the plus side, remaining sober means this is the last time I'll be faced with this mess. I'll now keep everything in order, organised finally!

Zoey - You sound great! Enjoying reading your posts, I can feel the positivity

Mike - Great to hear from you and know that you're doing so well! What ever works for us on this journey I guess so keep doing what you need to do. Really good to see your post and I look forward to reading any future posts from you when you feel it's the right time.

Bekind - Again, prayers and thoughts over to you. You should be very proud of yourself coping so well whilst also on this journey. I'm sure your Mum will be

Ayers - I'm with you on thinking about food, it's all I can seem to focus on Glad you found your ginger tea fix, sounds yum! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Bob - Good to hear you're feeling better

Right, it's back to the dreaded tax return, well, once I've actually found the invoices that is!!!! I have to laugh! Laugh or cry as they say!

Wish me luck...

Check in again later.

Love & Peace to you all xxx
Old 01-20-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well, there will be no drinking today, that's for sure. Vermont is in the middle of a blizzard, with wind chill temps expected to dip to -35F! Couldn't get to the store if I wanted to (happily, I don't feel tempted today!).

Mike! It's wonderful to hear from you. Three weeks is great. Check in occasionally so we know how you're doing!

Happy Sunday, go Patriots!, and stay warm those of you in the storm's path.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

-35, Wow! Stay warm and safe Zoeydog!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Great to see you Mike. Glad you are finding a way that works for you.
Good to hear you are on the mend Bob.

(((Be Kind)))

Love to all.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the support. My mom is still with us. Who knows maybe she has way more time than we think. My older sister comes tomorrow.

Zoey, that sounds like quite the storm. I hope you have a good supply of tea and cocoa. Is everything closed down or does Vermont keep puttering along in these kinds of storms.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Feel better soon Bob!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Katy, when I’m looking for a new read, I go to a site called Goodreads or to The NY Times booklists. I try to read a couple classics each year and then something newish or one I’ve been wanting to read. I have a stack of books on my bedside table and I recently got online access to my library. Right now I’m reading Tuesday’s with Morrie, and one in my stack is The Art of Racing in the Rain....the others are fiction (hopefully, good stories).

Ayers, I see a little more pep in your step....glad!

Zoey, all we got in NJ was rain. Now it is absolutely freezing and windy ...no turning down the thermostat tonight.

Bekind, you handle things with such grace and understanding. You must be a wonderful daughter.

Hope all are well. Check in later
Bonnie